The online racing simulator
Allow Longer Signatures (More Characters)
(84 posts, started )
-1 Bad, Very bad idea.
Perhaps a solution to Tristan's problem would be to exclude the actual URL from the character count.

ie:
{url="http://1m.characters.plus.one.com"}Link{/url}

= 4 chars.
Sigs are great, sometimes funny, sometimes informative, its nice for people who have made work for LFS, to link it on their sig, so they don't have to keep sending the link out. You would complain about that more, honestly, but i don't really see the need for more lines or characters.
BlueFlame you are the whole reason why signatures should not get any more characters.. Quoting in your signature should also be disallowed.

It clutters the forum with unnecessary rubbish.

-1 for more characters
+1 disable quoting
Quote :The only reason that you want more lines is because CTRA cannot seem to get their act together with making ONE userbar for a specific person

We have actually, but we dont have a means of enforcing it.

We've got [ctra]random/username[/ctra] but we also provide individual bars for people who focus on one licence to show off their best one - unfortunately a lot of forum comers use all 3 of the individual ones, which does make the place a mess.

Anyway -1 from me, because Jack's signature is already a mess!

If anyone has more than 1 CTRA user bar in their signature, please kindly reconsider.
That is not what I meant....

Yes you have your user specific userbar, but you have all these other ones that people 'can' use, why not make a userbar that generates exactly what they have into one image? (eg, CTRA logo + license level + national level + etc) Then again, that wouldn't seem practical and hard-to-fit, but there ought to be some way of making it cleaner. Sam just goes on a roll with those userbars... I don't see how it is allowed to have so many, he is moderator I guess.

Other leagues only give out one to use, and yes they can make more if they please I bet... but they have some common sense in knowing that too many is just overkill, yes?
#32 - SamH
It has nothing to do with me being a moderator. Shove that crap, before you get started.
Before I get started with what? Why would I even waste my time shoving anything in your direction. Why do you always have to be so offended, holy hell... I thought sarcasm in England was commonplace. :doh:

-1 to making text size 1 AndroidXP
Quote from Madman_CZ :BlueFlame you are the whole reason why signatures should not get any more characters.. Quoting in your signature should also be disallowed.

It clutters the forum with unnecessary rubbish.

-1 for more characters
+1 disable quoting

I could get harsh here, just think about your Financial situation
Mr. 640X480

The higher your Resolution, the problem becomes non-existant, if your running a low resolution generally means your hardware doesn't like high res. So get a job, and stop complaining on here about the fact I am taking up CM's on your screen!

If Signiture Quoting is to be Disabled then so should Animated Avatars and Signitures full stop, the whole point of Sigs and Avatars is to add some extra colour to the forum, it would look so boring if the only thing different was the text somebody was writing, and their username, also, signitures and avatars are a good benchmark when your looking for someones next consecutive post, or reading back on something you posted yourself.
Changing resolution doesn't change the fact that your signature is longer than your actual post.

We're just one big happy family, eh?

Edit: As already pointed out: If you're truly bothered, it's quite possible to disable signatures and avatars all together.
Attached images
mmmpie.png
#36 - SamH
Quote from Tweaker :Sam just goes on a roll with those userbars... I don't see how it is allowed to have so many, he is moderator I guess.

That crap. To undermine the weight of someone's words or actions by using the fact they are a moderator as a simplistic explanation. It is no less an abuse of moderator privileges if YOU do it than if I were to abuse my own moderator rights.

Anyone can create userbars for their league or system. You don't have to be a moderator. We're hosting the RSSC userbars. There are only two bars at the moment (3 including a default "league fan") but he could have as many or as few as he wants.
Quote from BlueFlame :I could get harsh here, just think about your Financial situation
Mr. 640X480

The higher your Resolution, the problem becomes non-existant, if your running a low resolution generally means your hardware doesn't like high res. So get a job, and stop complaining on here about the fact I am taking up CM's on your screen!

If Signiture Quoting is to be Disabled then so should Animated Avatars and Signitures full stop, the whole point of Sigs and Avatars is to add some extra colour to the forum, it would look so boring if the only thing different was the text somebody was writing, and their username, also, signitures and avatars are a good benchmark when your looking for someones next consecutive post, or reading back on something you posted yourself.

I run 1600 x 1200, and I'd still rather see fewer userbars and text in signatures....

I don't think resolution is at fault here, it is just like AndroidXP stated already; the fact that the signatures on this forum cause an unwanted break in the "line of reading".
#38 - Jakg
Specifically i would like to able to make more tech guides and link to them in my signature - the idea of making the [URL] tags not count as characters is a far better idea.

I'm sorry some of you don't like my signature, but it's in size=1 and i've tried to make it as unobtrousive as possible. If you don't like it you can keep signatures disabled.
Quote from Tweaker :I run 1600 x 1200, and I'd still rather see fewer userbars and text in signatures....

I don't think resolution is at fault here, it is just like AndroidXP stated already; the fact that the signatures on this forum cause an unwanted break in the "line of reading".

I can agree with that, but without being Insulting, anyone that wants colour removed from this Place, must just be a Grumpy old man, or a Rocker who just hates on everything. Sigs should just stay as they are, if the Quotation values for signitures get changed , so be it, i won't bother me so much as to go complaining about it.
how bout a membership system, i know bout s2being a payfor thing, where you pay something like £2-4 a year and get a larger sig but due to the lower levels of people using it the mods could easier see the people who are useing the extra to make there sig crazy, its like mine, cos i exxplain bout my aspergers syndrome i only just have room for the ctra licence if i drop the text to 1, it works on other forums, its only a sugestion so please dont flame if you dont like it.

edit: plus a thread with text only makes it boring and makes my eyes hurt, also another idea for sig hates is to be able to not see individual persons sigs who you may find distracting
Quote from Jakg :Specifically i would like to able to make more tech guides and link to them in my signature - the idea of making the [URL] tags not count as characters is a far better idea.

I'm sorry some of you don't like my signature, but it's in size=1 and i've tried to make it as unobtrousive as possible. If you don't like it you can keep signatures disabled.

Tech guides are all well and good, but the amount of characters being wasted in your current sig is astonishing, and makes it seem somewhat farcical that you're requesting more.

Each of your three CTRA userbars has URL code to link to your licence. Why? I'm sure anyone wanting to view your actual licence could input your username to the CTRA website.

Why do you feel the need to tell people that you're pre-S3 licenced and a high-res skins user? I notice that you've removed the "total spent on LFS: £83" part. Like anyone ever cared how much you, I, or Joe Bloggs has spent on LFS.

Your BOTT userbar links to the UKCT site. If you're starved of characters, does it really have to?

In addition, why do you feel the need to have a separate link to the UKCT forum (isn't it linked to from the UKCT site that your bott bar already links to?)?

If you want to link to tech guides, you're also wasting characters trying to flog your stuff on ebay, and touting your website.

Sorry for souding harsh, but some sigs look a real mess and too full, and yours is one of them, however admirable your desire to link to more tech guides. There'd be plenty space if you used what there was more efficiently.
My sig is pretty close to the limit (524/600 characters) and has all the info I want on it, yet it only takes up 2 lines. I don't think the problem here is not having enough characters, it's people not using them characters to their fullest potential. For example, unneeded BBCode in sigs also adds to the total character count, as do unneeded spaces and dashes between userbars *koff Jack* . I'd say people should use their sigs more conservatively, and not waste all their characters on useless things
Quote from Jakg :Specifically i would like to able to make more tech guides and link to them in my signature - the idea of making the [url] tags not count as characters is a far better idea.

How about making a "portal page" with your guides and just linking to that with a brief list of the guides in there?

[URL="http://falsuslinkus.com"]List of guides I've made[/URL]
Contains: My Wheel Buying Guide, How To Make LFS Look Better, Nuts.

I think that most people are just afraid that any extra signature space allowed will just get abused. Hence the examples of people using ALL the CTRA banners.

But as said previously - that's why "disable signatures" is there. After being around the forums for enough time to get fed up with gigantic signatures and turn them off then you've surely figured out who's got probably something interesting/useful in his signature.
Also Jackqui, you should consider that this isn't a fixed width forum.
You're sig looks a bit silly when parts of it get wrapped due to window size.

I think we need some clearly defined sig rules, and nazi moderation to enforce them.
Quote from BlueFlame :I can agree with that, but without being Insulting, anyone that wants colour removed from this Place, must just be a Grumpy old man, or a Rocker who just hates on everything.

From a grumpy old man: I bet you have furry dice hanging from your mirror....
+1 for larger signatures!!!! I want to post a signature like this one from a Ford Escape forum....

[B][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=4]MI-Escape[/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=#808080][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3] * Where do you Escape?[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#808080][IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~ltbudd/images/MyEscape.jpg[/IMG][/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[COLOR=black][SIZE=1][B]2002.5 Escape XLT 4x4 Midnight Edition[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue]Safety & Security Accessories:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][SIZE=1]Ford Automatic Headlamp System * Ford Locking Gas Cap * Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Bulbs[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][B][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Apperance Accessories:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=1]Ford Step Bars * Ford Molded Splash Guards * Ford Moonroof Deflector * Ford Full Frontend Cover * Ford Rear Roof Air Deflector * Auto VentShade Side-Window Deflectors * Auto VentShade Tail-light Covers[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Apperance Modifications:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=1]Limited Door Handles * Limited Rear Liftgate Latch Cover[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Interior Accessories:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=1]Ford MACH AM/FM/6-CD Stereo * Ford Plastic Scuff Plates * Ford All Weather Vinyl Floor Mats[/SIZE][/B]

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Convenience Accessories:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=1]Ford Remote Car Starter[/SIZE][/B]
[/COLOR]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Opinions expressed in this post are those of the individual expressing them, and should[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]not be considered as absolute fact for any particular topic.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]The person submitting posts under this ID shall not be considered eminently qualified on[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]any one subject or subjects. While this does not conclude that factual information cannot be obtained from these posts, this does mean that the information provided may not be[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]complete, may contain inaccuracies, or may contain broad or vague references.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]In other words, an opinion may be contained herein.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]It is important to conduct your own research through resources available throughout the[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Internet. Please be mindful that this is an automobile site and any information obtain[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]regarding non-automotive subjects should be checked, regardless of who is providing that[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]information.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]The contents of this message may be subject to a Non-disclosure agreement. If you are[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]not the intended recipient of this message, you may not disclose, print, copy or otherwise[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]disseminate this information. If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]sender (only) and delete the message. Unauthorized interception of this post is a violation[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]of federal criminal law.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender to conduct a transaction or[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message shall satisfy[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]electronic transactions.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

What do you think? Not too long, but not too short and terribly boring. Signatures should be more than a quick team membership listing or a couple of userbars for leagues and such that you run in. They should tell a story about yourself, let the reader have something to do while sitting on the pot, or give something to read while at work. Forum posts can be boring reading all day at work, signatures give more options to wasting company time .

Just incase anyone misses it, I am writing highly sarcasticly here. The posted signature is actually one of the smaller signatures on that forum. And people wonder why some forums completely disable signatures.....
now that sig is takin the p**s
#48 - SamH
LOL Mike! I started reading with the basic premise that "Americans don't do sardonic humour".. so you owe me a piece of gum, after my last piece fell outta my mouth as my jaw dropped!
Ha! Kudos for the, sadly necessary, disclaimer.
Quote from Jakg :Currently i'm being limited to 600 characters - can't you just up the limit to 800 or 1,000 and force sigs to be in Size 1?

Please remove your signature, sir. It broke my monitor.

Allow Longer Signatures (More Characters)
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG