The online racing simulator
Need for Speed as sim?
(31 posts, started )
Need for Speed as sim?
Looks like NFs is going to have a go at being a sort of a sim.

What do u guys think about it, i think its kind of a stupid move and risky
#2 - Jakg
It will be a "faux Sim" like GT4 - a little more realistic so it can use the word "sim" and have people think it is, and yet not realistic enough to have it so hard that it's main client base realise they are not, in fact, the next Schumacher and give up.
#3 - PaulH
Ooooo. Over sized tractor wheels will finally ruin the weight and handling of the cars.

Seems like a bad move to me. Avid NFS fans will not be happy about having the use the brake.
Quote from Jakg :It will be a "faux Sim" like GT4 - a little more realistic so it can use the word "sim" and have people think it is, and yet not realistic enough to have it so hard that it's main client base realise they are not, in fact, the next Schumacher and give up.

I so agree with you i own gt4 (stupid fake game) NFs pro street wil be just as bad
Quote :Avid NFS fans will not be happy about having the use the brake.

Maybe they'll be happier that they've discovered the brake?
Well the Need for Speed Porsche game was quite good IMO, it isn't anything like LFS but it wasn't your usual arcadey NFS game.

IMO the actual game was fun to, having to progress through races in certain porsches, from the old to the knew.

So they can do decent not NFSU like games, whether they do or not is a differnt question.
#7 - PaulH
Quote from Electrik Kar :Maybe they'll be happier that they've discovered the brake?

Indeed, one would think that. People I know who love NFS say they like the game because you can fly around corners. When they do crash, I tell them to use the brake and they reply with "F<AUP> using the brake, its more fun". Oh well.

Of course the people I know don't make up the whole population that greatly enjoy the NFS series, its just that all of them I know say the same thing, "braking isn't fun, driving fast is".

Hopefully some will be converted and start to enjoy having to use the brake. Good braking technique is essential in racing as i'm sure most of us LFSers know that.
I didn't mean everyone, but for some of those people reared on those kinds of games, a bit more driving complexity will probably be welcomed. How far they'll take that in the new game is anyones guess.

edit: many adults play NFS, because they assume it's the best driving game around, it's so heavily marketed.
No doubt it will be advertised as the most realistic driving sim ever/will ever be possible? Gotta love the semi-sims.
'LOL!!1OMGWTFBBQ its got teh brakezzzZ!!1!!111!! bestest sim evahhh!!1'
The NFS game producer recently said "we're definitely not making a sim", though he was talking about Forza as sim so...
I like NFS but im not a fan of underground. i would give pro street a try before saying anything (if it runs on my PC)
When even DTM Race Driver (V8 Supercars for the Aussies) is labeled as a sim (maybe they meant train sim?), how much do you think the upcoming NfS will rape the term "racing simulation"?
I went back and tried NFS Porsche Unleashed, and as far as I can remember, that was the best version of NFS EA ever released... realism wise. But I stopped playing it ever since I found LFS and GPL. But playing NFS:PU again... it wasn't 'that' great handling wise, I mean a boxster could take turns insanely fast, it did still feel kinda arcadey. But it did have oversteer and it was possible to lose control if you pushed it. But it was always still too easy and grippy. I am sure the new NFS will feel the same way... but EA is always developing their games to cater to a much larger market of younger gamers, thus they make their games easier and user-friendly so nobody gets frustrated and gives the game a bad word.

It's been a long while since NFS has ever felt "good"... but recently EA have already made several attempts at making a "SIMULATION" out of their games, and they've failed miserably.
Of course they failed miserably, it's EA. All they're good at is pumping out shite games every year, loaded with bugs and pissing everyone off. For some reason people keep buying their products, though. Go figure.
Complete Marketing hype, which by is the only talent EA has. It will still never qualify more than 1/10 on the sim-factor scale (hey it's got 4 wheels and you move forwards right? that's 1).
Quote from bbman :how much do you think the upcoming NfS will rape the term "racing simulation"?

New Guinness World Record? New definition for "miserable failure" and 1st Google hit for that? I definitely hope they don't miserably fail at these two objectives.

Quote from Chrisuu01 :I so agree with you i own gt4 (stupid fake game)

hmm, ive played (and completed) all GT parts and i was (and im still) happy with it.
it may not be the best sim but its a pretty decent game.
Quote from Tweaker :I went back and tried NFS Porsche Unleashed, and as far as I can remember, that was the best version of NFS EA ever released... realism wise. But I stopped playing it ever since I found LFS and GPL. But playing NFS:PU again... it wasn't 'that' great handling wise, I mean a boxster could take turns insanely fast, it did still feel kinda arcadey. But it did have oversteer and it was possible to lose control if you pushed it. But it was always still too easy and grippy.

the Porsche Unleashed was definetly the best NFS realism wise, but that (and the fact that it's only Porsches) has made it a strictly niche (spelling?) product...
I was playing it a lot and what I hated - was the brakes of the cars, t seems like the 993 Turbo had the same brakes as the 58' 356...
to stop a car you'd have to go breaking forever. The Boxter could handle 100 mph handbrake U-turns, the 993 Turbo was breaking the laws of physics by cornering at any speeds...
but still the game was much better then any of the next NFS
For me NFS ended at number 6... I played it, and then, I heard of the small (IIRC 15 megs) demo of something called Live For Speed
Quote from PaulH :Avid NFS fans will not be happy about having the use the brake.

hahaha . i agree .
I used to enjoy the NFS games back in the day, but once they went down the ricer route I lost all interest in them. Porsche was good, I still miss Motor City Online (aka NFS: Motor City / the one before Porsche) but I'm not holding out much hope for Pro Street.
I was hopeful when they said they were aiming for a "more realistic racing experience" but then they made it perfectly clear it was going to be another arcade-em-up so I turned off. I might give the demo a try when it appears on XBL.

My question though - it's all track racing, so why is it called Pro Street? Are they trying to cash in on the word "Street" before the ZOMGNOSSSSSSSers realise it's not a pimp-em-up?
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
Quote from PaulH :
Seems like a bad move to me. Avid NFS fans will not be happy about having the use the brake.

LOL
Quote from Electrik Kar :Maybe they'll be happier that they've discovered the brake?

ROFL!

You know, if they make a game that they are going to call a 'sim', they are gonna need to be needing to make things GO better, rather than LOOK better.
Quote from Jakg :*ahem*

NFS

Fixed. FFS that's the 2nd or 3rd time I've done that. You can obviously tell which one means more to me
I´m wondering if some of you guys can remember the great Sports Car GT. As far as I know rFactor is based on it.

IMO NFS is a fun game and I think I´ll try the new one also.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Looks like NFs is going to have a go at being a sort of a sim.

They made a decent attempt with Porsche Unleashed but they forgot the path a long time ago.

I would be really surprised if they release something that is remotely near to NFS Porsche in terms of simulation (and being close to Porsche means only small sim touches here and there)

Need for Speed as sim?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG