The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
Kicked For Spamming
I just got auto-kicked for spamming there apparently because I'd typed the same message 3 times in a row. This would be fair enough if they were done in quick succession but they were done over a period of at least a couple of minutes. Could you please implement some kind of time limit on the auto-kick for spamming?
The spamming check has a time check, each of the messages must be within 30 seconds of the message either side of it.
Why would you want to repeat a message 3 times anyway?
#4 - CSU1
Quote from Becky Rose :The spamming check has a time check, each of the messages must be within 30 seconds of the message either side of it.

...makes for pretty crap conversation after a race...or is it timed when race is over?(sorry if I've missed the info on this)
#5 - Jakg
Quote from teaz-R :Why would you want to repeat a message 3 times anyway?

"Sorry"? "Nice Pass"? There are reasons...
It only kicks in when somebody sends repeat messages. You can send as many unique messages as you like so conversation is unnaffected.
#7 - CSU1
oh!, sorry, I see, good way to stop that bloody blue bind
We've got something else doing that btw, and it's going to get improved in the not too distant future.

Many people hitting their blue flag hot keys have been finding that the $blue screen suddenly appears whilst they are racing, and of course one of the rules is that you do not have to move over for anyone using a blue flag hotkey... I've been steadily improving the detection method for this screen, but i'm going to rework it soon to be much much better.
on one of my last races i was kicked for swearing and got a notice to clean...

what i did was: my teammate wanted my set and asked me if its good.

i told him: FPR | xxx: no, my set is *************

KICK

but thats the way it is, no system is perfect
Quote from Becky Rose :We've got something else doing that btw, and it's going to get improved in the not too distant future.

Many people hitting their blue flag hot keys have been finding that the $blue screen suddenly appears whilst they are racing, and of course one of the rules is that you do not have to move over for anyone using a blue flag hotkey... I've been steadily improving the detection method for this screen, but i'm going to rework it soon to be much much better.

Wow that seems highly dangerous! Your visbility is zero then. Better make them spectate first?
Quote from LordBlaster :on one of my last races i was kicked for swearing and got a notice to clean...

what i did was: my teammate wanted my set and asked me if its good.

i told him: FPR | xxx: no, my set is *************

KICK

but thats the way it is, no system is perfect

Either you don't make sense or even the forum filters your swearing out
#12 - Dru
thank god then we only put up 2 you know when you've been ZWR'd at the end of the races when Moose and I get a 1-2
Wow, that's great Becky! I actually haven't seen anyone spam any blue flag messages since CTRA-X was launched. But eh... could you maybe make a note about honking in the $blue screen as well? Because one thing I have noticed quite a few times is people continuously using their horn from a good way off when they're approaching a backmarker. This is even more annoying than blue flag messages IMO and it makes me want to get in their way rather than out of it. I mean, I have the blue flag message on my screen, I have read the rules and I am well aware of you, I will let you pass without a fuss but goddamnit, stop with the friggin' horn!
Quote from obsolum :stop with the friggin' horn!

Just edit/rename/delete the horn*.wav files (in LFS's data\sound folder). Peace & Quiet guaranteed.
I think the kick spam feature is a little too harsh......

I use buttons on the DFP for things like Sorry and to acknowledge a pass etc.

three times this evening I was kicked during a close battle for spamming (supposedly). On all occasions barr one, it was the DFP button that when pushed once, would show it twice instead.

Got to be looked at as I have seen a few people kicked quite wrongly this evening......
#16 - Dru
sorry have to disagree - i think it's perfect, you can be courteous and say thnigs but not spamm...

just did a race at SO5R, was quite funny, the car on pole was obviously excited and spammed 4 good races messages and was promptly kicked, me being in third suddenly had a nice clear bit of track ahead of me
I think the system is perfectly fine, but before I left a bit ago I caught a person blue flag spamming, and I promptly told him that doing that wouldn't get him anywhere. What does confuse me is that he used the same blue flag spam message about 6 times in a row and didn't get kicked.
#18 - SamH
I haven't tried it, but I think if you spam about blue flags you get a screenful of educational text about spamming blue flags, rather than a kick. The screenful of text requires a click to close.

Alternatively, it's a screw-up and Becky will be along shortly to remedy it
Quote from SamH :I haven't tried it, but I think if you spam about blue flags you get a screenful of educational text about spamming blue flags, rather than a kick. The screenful of text requires a click to close.

Alternatively, it's a screw-up and Becky will be along shortly to remedy it

Thats not a screw up in my eyes...
I like the auto-kick function. Got a lot of my teammates with the name

[FM]Fistful

[FM]Fistful: [FM]Example - Hi mate!
[FM]Example: [FM]Fistful - Hi Harry
[FM]Example got kicked...
Quote from Crazy Harry :I like the auto-kick function. Got a lot of my teammates with the name

[FM]Fistful

[FM]Fistful: [FM]Example - Hi mate!
[FM]Example: [FM]Fistful - Hi Harry
[FM]Example got kicked...

Our swear filter does not suffer the S****horpe bug, so I think your example is perhaps over zealous, it should not happen.
Quote from Becky Rose :Our swear filter does not suffer the S****horpe bug, so I think your example is perhaps over zealous, it should not happen.

The forum does obviously.
I can understand the spamming limiter on the server 1 but you'd think on the server 2 it wouldn't need to be quite as harsh.

Again today, in close racing, and a lot of fun, we were jostling for position each corner and was some great camaraderie between a few of us.... we were giving a smilie to each other while this was going on, then BOOM!!!!!! Kicked on the last lap!!!!!

Strikes me that this is a little harsh! If someone on the Server2 really dislikes a few messages then block them all together! I saw a guy also in 1st place kicked for doing the same. No malicious intent but fun racing.......

can this be at least looked at again please, especially on the server2 where you have to have been racing for a while to have got your silver.
Chances are you learned it by now...
Or, maybe the slap in the face is not hard enough to trigger the learning process. Let's remove 100 license points for being spam-kicked, too.
How many smilies do you need?

I really dont think server 2 should be exempt - if anything I feel the opposite.

I have nothing against drivers giving smilies to each other but it can get too much, spamming is an ever increasing annoyance in LFS and yet we have no hardcore email spammers on LFS to my knowledge - despite the fact that many of us get annoyed with repeat-message spam whilst racing, so we've no spammers, but we're getting message spammed...

This means that people who are spamming have not previously realised just how anti-social they have been acting with their repeated messages, and why is it necessary to say the same thing 6 and, i've seen on some ocassions, 20 or more times in a row?

In point of fact i've seen a driver from this thread spamming before and even given them 3 verbal warnings over it, and they do have access to server 2... sooooo... I think the spam filter should stay.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG