The online racing simulator
The spam filter could be a little better imo. Remeber yesterday when me and a other dude was going all out the last lap, we pasted two "" each, then in the next corner after a nice pass, and then again the next corner becuase again it was a nice pass, and we got kicked :/
Well, guess the 3th dude was happy then
Quote from blackcarmafia :on the other heand i saw TEAMS mnaking realy SPAm hell (i wont tell which team) but 4 members start floding their .. OUR team uberpwn and rox , and similar messages and it gets floodet so much

Yes I know, that team meens well and does not realise how bad they can be sometimes even when i've directly asked them not to spam (repeatedly), we need to find a way of telling them we really dont give a shit whether they just had a good race...

@The Very End: "and then again" ... "and then again". Again, we dont give a shit. The other guy knows if its a good race or not because he or she is there and having that good race. The last thing I want when i'm battling for position is the name of the driver i'm battling with appearing in the top left, its distracting and only leads to accidents. Why not race hard and talk about it afterwards? Why the compulsion to talk about it whilst you are battling?

Anyway, as a means of blue flag spam combatting, as a means of web site and team recruitment spamming, I think the spam filter was necessary. Currently I remain unconvinced that it needs changing but am happy to listen to arguments calling for it, I just havn't seen anything yet that sways me.
I would sooner read the spam smilies and blue flag spam than listen to 2 guys whine at each other about whos fault an incident was. Do you want to read and listen to normal people having fun, or do you want to listen to depressing argumentative and negative comments?

I would like to see all text messages stopped in the race, some kind of forced blocked messages option. With something like "You are now free to chat" once last place has crossed the finish line.

Or simply a disclaimer. "If you do not block messages at start of the race, you accept the spam".
I agree with Becky, save the chat until after the race.

There's nowt more annoying than the 'which track', 'send set', 'fuel ?' that seems to happen almost constantly at times. But I prefer not to block all messages in case I miss something that is useful. A couple of times, I have seen someone getting grief from spectators about not yielding to blues or not paying attention when rejoining the track, and this makes me more cautious when lapping them.

What really annoys me though is when you get a few people from the same team who have a 'team catchphrase' on a chat bind (you know who you are) and start spamming it every time they overtake people. Maybe making 'team pimping' a reportable offence would be a bit OTT, but I certainly wouldn't argue if it was enforced.
Aren't you capable of blocking messages yourself if you don't want to see messages rather than having the system impose the block on everyone ? It only takes one key-press you know
Quote from Swiss_Tony :Aren't you capable of blocking messages yourself if you don't want to see messages rather than having the system impose the block on everyone ? It only takes one key-press you know

+1
Quote from Swiss_Tony :Aren't you capable of blocking messages yourself if you don't want to see messages rather than having the system impose the block on everyone ? It only takes one key-press you know

It takes 2 do do it properly

+1
I've been guilty for smiley spam too after having been in a really fun battle. Now I wouldn't really mind talking to someone after the race about a great fight, but I'm quite sure I'm not able to remember exactly who I had this nice battle with in lap 3 of 15.

A big part of the fun of LFS or any other online game is the direct interaction you can have with people. Taking away the quick appreciation of and to the other person and having to recall the fun sometimes 15 minutes later for me detracts a whole lot of why I'm racing online. Instant appreciation of each others actions shows I'm racing people instead of AI and greatly improve my fun factor.

One thing that might be considered even as an improvement for the LFS communication system would then be similar as a lot of games already have: global messages and local messages. I can imagine that local messages would only reach cars within 100m of each other.

I consider the smiley a quick eyecontact between drivers in a real race as I can imagine that it happens and where LFS has no other way of showing it, the smiley is there to show it.
Quote from AeoIus :I consider the smiley a quick eyecontact between drivers in a real race as I can imagine that it happens and where LFS has no other way of showing it, the smiley is there to show it.

Of course you can have "eye contact" with the other driver. You just look left/right and see if the other guy looks at you, too I sometimes have a long staring contest when I'm side by side with another driver down the long straight at BL, for example, when we're both looking at each other practically the whole time Quite funny, always makes me smile.

I agree that the smiley is a quick way to "show your appreciation for the other guy" as you put it, and I sometimes do it, too (I've never been kicked for spamming, though). But there's a difference between doing it once a lap and doing it twice after every single turn like some people tend to do. Also, to avoid getting kicked you can alterate with the smiley and "good pass" or "good race", for example.
Quote from obsolum :Also, to avoid getting kicked you can alterate with the smiley and "good pass" or "good race", for example.

I hope that this doesn't work. Because if it does, then you have just shown spammers an easy way to dodge the spam-check.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG