The online racing simulator
Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
Say thanks?
Hi all,

A new feature has been introduced here at the LFS Forum. It's called the "Thank you" feature.
The idea behind this is that instead of people posting a lot of +1's to agree with a post, you can now click the "thanks" button in a post, if you agree with what was said. This should help us keep threads a bit cleaner, having less clutter due to a lot of very small posts.

Please make use of this feature if you planned on posting a "+1" or similar. We will try to remind you of this in threads, hoping to achieve a better forum experience.

Thanks!
thanks
#3 - Jakg
I'll remain on the fence - i've seen several forums colapse as people vote to thank for completely nonsense reasons, lets just hope it doesn't go that way here.
Young man, get of that fence right away !
Quote from Victor :This should help us keep threads a bit cleaner, having less clutter due to a lot of very small posts.

I don´t know. Imo it creates even more clutter when people thank in every post for no reason... Example.
Yay, another number to increase!

No seriously, I welcome every step that might improve the forum's thread & post quality, though I cannot really see the connection between "thanks" and "I agree", but if it manages to get rid of the "+1" posts that way it's already golden. I just hope it doesn't get abused by nonsensical thanking. (+1)

Now, the only thing missing is a spell check feature that automatically prevents someone from replying/posting if the unknown or misspelled word amount is > X%. I know, in the beginning this would be equal to a ban for certain users, but I'm sure in the end it would be the better for all of us!
Preparing for a new patch launch are we? No more 50 page thank you thank you threads?

But it really looks messy with all the blue text in a new box under a post to be honest. Can it be streamlined a bit, make smaller and how would I say, more pleasant for eye?
#8 - Jakg
Woud it be possible to leave the "Quick Reply" button at the very right, then the thanks button? ATM i can never seem to find it "first time"
The Thanks button is too low res, it doesn't look clean as the other buttons.
And what Blackout said. Maybe include the "thank yous" in the post's header or in footer.

Altough I think this thing adds more clutter than it does good.
[/rant]
But its the same person in both cases.

Maybe a little ban will help.
It's Riders, he's spamming every post he can find.
Wow, we have this feature for barely one day and someone already abuses/misuses it. Great.
#15 - STF
thanks
IMO it`s pretty messy.. to see "hundreds" of thanks on a page.. . it would be better IMO, to have another button, left of "Quote" or the other buttons in whatever order they are, displaying "[url="http://collapse%20list"]%[/url][url="http://www.collapse_the_username_list.com"]X users said thanks to this post[/url]" with a link, that once clicked, would collapse a list with those usernames (maybe a generated .png image with the no. of "Thanks"). i think a javascript programmer would find this pretty easy to do. (i`m not one )
Quote from STF :IMO it`s pretty messy.. to see "hundreds" of thanks on a page.. . it would be better IMO, to have another button, left of "Quote" or the other buttons in whatever order they are, displaying "[url="http://collapse%20list"]%[/url][url="http://www.collapse_the_username_list.com"]X users said thanks to this post[/url]" with a link, that once clicked, would collapse a list with those usernames (maybe a generated .png image with the no. of "Thanks"). i think a javascript programmer would find this pretty easy to do. (i`m not one )

Or, just have it within the signature, or just underneath it.

I think with the new table area, with a title zone, really does make it look mess.
After seeing it in one post with some muppet thanking everyone, it's not such a great idea.
I see you've also added the mod to search for similar threads when we try and create a new one.

Nice one
On second thought, the current implementation doesn't really make sense. You should say "thank you" to someone because he was helpful or otherwise nice, not because you agree with him. And now we have a number that basically says 832 people agreed with 326 posts of user X. Thanks for the info, but who cares? The huge bold text making everything messy doesn't help either.

I think there are similar implementations that do work, but this one doesn't seem to, at least not with the way it's currently proposed to be used. Maybe it just needs time till the novelty wears off and people start using it properly, but it could also end in a big circlejerk of posters thanking each other for no apparent reason.
Quote from felplacerad :Now all we need is a profile option to disable the display of the Thanks element.

Edit: Here you go, use this if you think it's better:

Yea this image is already a lot nicer, and what about changing the background color of the post (or the header) to green, the more thanks its got, the more green?
And just put a little number somewhere on the left, and show the names as a popup like its done with the popup for the username above the avatar aswell.

Alongside with that, that about a feature where you can do the opposite of saying thanks, for useless posts (header color in red then). To make it perfect, we need a slider to control which posts are shown, by there "rating". Just thinking of the meta forum thingie again vic

However, nice work so far!!
Would be maybe better if it would just say "XX users thank Y for this post" on a much smaller area, and clicking on it would expand it to show the names.
Can it be moved to the LEFT side next to quote? Being on the right next to the most-used buttons (quick reply and other common quote buttons), it just is annoying.

BTW, there is a better thumb you can replace in the vB Button Graphics pack... one you have now looks kinda crude. Or well, use the one FEL posted: . Or a +1

I just mention the placement because as you scroll down and want to quote a post or quickly press quick-reply, it is RIGHT next to where your mouse pointer is near the scroll button typically.
For every post?? I thought it was going to be only for the first thread starting post. It's a bit messy this way.

Or just have a small discreet number at every post saying how many people clicked thank you.
#24 - axus
Quote from ORION :Yea this image is already a lot nicer, and what about changing the background color of the post (or the header) to green, the more thanks its got, the more green?
And just put a little number somewhere on the left, and show the names as a popup like its done with the popup for the username above the avatar aswell.

Yeah, that'd be way better!
#25 - STF
Quote from AndroidXP :You should say "thank you" to someone because he was helpful or otherwise nice, not because you agree with him.

well, as i see it, u don`t thank an user only because you agree.
Quote :The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to %user% For This Useful Post:

that would be an option too, to show the user his post was received well, and understood properly. you "thank" if you find it usefull, constructive..
and as someone said:
Quote from victor :Please make use of this feature if you planned on posting a "+1" or similar.

imo "+1 or similar" stands for "i agree", right ?
LE: back to the drawing board..
show just the number of "thankers" and if one desires to see who thanked.. just click that number and the names will collapse.
Edit again:
Compare this 2 pictures. just a simple idea. of course, it can be done more pleasant, to blend in with the buttons.. or have a generated picture show the number of "thanks".

Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG