The online racing simulator
Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
#76 - STF
Quote from Gunn :Driver A crashes accidentally into Driver B. Driver B gets mad and comes on the forum, pulls up Driver A's profile and gives a negative review to all of his posts. Every time Driver A ever makes a post on the forum his shadow is there to rip him down. Boo hiss, release the hounds Godfrey! :spike::spike::spike:

What's next? hi, this is Big Mother speaking, call this number to vote off the forum member of your choice. Call now.

well, i think that could be detected by a script.. after a threshold let`s say "user X voted in the last hour 20 posts of user Y, giving #% (80-100%)positive/negative ratings to his posts.
If this gets out in the wild.. it shouldn`t be much fuss. we have moderators .. that can be notified by that script for such user actions.
A quick investigation and an action is taken. (like.. spend less than 1 minute browsing the user's profile, and see what he/she rated is valid).
For me, such a system wouldn`t bother me, but as a thread starter would help me a lot, if used properly. (aka 72% of the S2 licensed players who read it thought the post is really good, 10% didn`t, the rest didn`t vote, the other entity "demo players".. voted 90% "it`s crap"..). we can have that as a graph, statistic.. not x lines of text.
OR when an user is creating a thread, he should have a choice:
enable or not - the post voting system for that thread. in a thread showing youtube links, such a system would be worthless.
Maybe a ban/vote system as in LFS itself is whats needed on the forum ? i.e post multiple crap and get a 24hr ban.

Either that or just give the Forum Mods bigger teeth and maybe only feed them once a week or so.
Yep. We need a -1 as well. Why are people who agree that we dont need this thanks feature are clicking thanks to those post that dont want it. It's so funny.
#79 - axus
I just have a suggestion for the forum that's a bit OT but doesn't deserve its own thread: is it possible to unite consecutive posts by the same user automatically? I know that's what the multiquote is for but many people don't see it.
Yeah a -rep/no thanks is a must.

I don't mind the extra "clutter" either, it's a neat feature.

An art forum I visit has a reputation system, and the abusers (- or + for no serious or stupid reason are dealt with accordingly). Plus there is a time limit on how many times you can do it to a single person.
I don't mind the way the agree-function is implemented right now. Whether it will be of some benefit, I don't know, but we'll see.

What I strongly oppose is a "thank you not"/"disagree"-button as has been suggested. That one will most definitely be abused by immature forum-users. But I really doubt Victor ever considered such an option anyway.
#82 - STF
Quote from Linsen :[...]abused by immature forum-users.

such users would be abus.. Banned
these immature users will soon realize what they did.. and they`ll mature a lil bit more, when - "oops, why does it say i can`t login in the following 7 days, and redirects me to.. forum rules?"
well, i don`t think S2 players would have the "guts" to do that, if they do.. kinda sad for them.
Since Victor is Dutch anyway, why not make a decent moderating system comparable to www.tweakers.net , That would be way better and much less clumbersome. If someone wants to know if his suggestion pointed out in his new thread is good or not, let him place a poll in the start thread which gives way better indication on how many are pro/against the idea, instead of having a positive mark (thank you) as an only option. This wont give any indication, it just gathers lots of positive remarks, the more the better? Like collecting Kudo's or something... and at the end of the year you can spend them at the LFS souvenir shop
Crazy...

You could place a +1 and -1 option and calculate the average from that which then will be indicated by a colored light inside the msgbox. The light going from Red to Green in lets say five steps, green meaning very positive, red very negative, between them are a softred/softgreen and a neutral one. This light could be placed in the darkblue bar on top of the reply or next to the username for instance. Or having both, the light in the blue bar indicates the grade of the current message, the light next to the username indicates the average of all posts that person wrote. This will give quite a good indication on how well someone behaves over time.
Quote from arco :I think something like this maybe would work good to help up the quality. I tried to install it on my test board, but sadly I got all sorts of error messages on the front end. Hopefully the author can work out the bugs, cause it seems to have potential.

Attaching some images for those that can't view them on vbulletin.org

Quote from AndroidXP :A Digg like rating, where you can vote +1 respectively -1 for each post might be better than a completely "positive" voting system. Yes, good posts should be rewarded, but why don't you allow a slap for complete crap posts? Might even make sense to hide posts (like those of ignored users) if the post rating is below a certain threshold. If you want to view it you can do so by a simple click and the hidden post will expand.

On the other hand, this would probably confuse people because they think of "+1" as "I agree" and "-1" as "I disagree", however that system should reflect post quality, not agreement. Actually I don't think that the agree/disagree posts are much of a concern at all, I think it's rather the poor quality that should be bothering us.

Quote from FC3SCorey :Yeah a -rep/no thanks is a must.

I don't mind the extra "clutter" either, it's a neat feature.

An art forum I visit has a reputation system, and the abusers (- or + for no serious or stupid reason are dealt with accordingly). Plus there is a time limit on how many times you can do it to a single person.

Quote from STF :well, i think that could be detected by a script.. after a threshold let`s say "user X voted in the last hour 20 posts of user Y, giving #% (80-100%)positive/negative ratings to his posts.
If this gets out in the wild.. it shouldn`t be much fuss. we have moderators .. that can be notified by that script for such user actions.
A quick investigation and an action is taken. (like.. spend less than 1 minute browsing the user's profile, and see what he/she rated is valid).
For me, such a system wouldn`t bother me, but as a thread starter would help me a lot, if used properly. (aka 72% of the S2 licensed players who read it thought the post is really good, 10% didn`t, the rest didn`t vote, the other entity "demo players".. voted 90% "it`s crap"..). we can have that as a graph, statistic.. not x lines of text.
OR when an user is creating a thread, he should have a choice:
enable or not - the post voting system for that thread. in a thread showing youtube links, such a system would be worthless.

Please god, no! I've seen the devastation brought onto forums because of such irrelevant karma counters, and they even haven't had this statistics who'd be the most famous... Friends voting each other up just to increase their counters and equally voting down opponents, even going through the trouble of digging up ancient posts just to decrease their karma even further... Limits to how much posts of one user you can vote down? Pointless, I just vote all my friends up and off I go distributing negative karma again... Should I start about the all-famous revenge karma?

Before you start, no, that weren't forums full of kids and they were very well moderated... But all those moderators couldn't keep up with the vast amount of abusive karma...
Most of the problems with this sort of "karma counting" stems from keeping a running count of each user's karma/thanks. That is, the "Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts" line under the user's avatar.

I think it's much better to judge each post individually and leave it at that. That way there's no reason to "game" the system, you avoid the whole ePenis thing, and people still get kudos for making good posts.
-
(zeugnimod) DELETED by zeugnimod
Nice to see you're a thankful person, hackerx. However if you go back to the first page you'll realise you forgot to thank someone (second and third post if I remember well).

Edit: and fourth.
can't help but award that with a 10 day ban.
Well, the thankyou mod has been removed. Seems it was no success.

Unsticking thread.
Oh, I from what I've seen of it in the threads I've looked in, it was quite useful...

Maybe I've missed something...
THANKS!!!!!

(lol sorry i had to!)
Thx for trying anyway. Coud have been good, you never know.
I also dont see how it didnt work.

Ok, there were 3 people who abused the function but I would think you always get that with a new function.

Most people used it reasonably IMO.
Quote from Victor :Well, the thankyou mod has been removed. Seems it was no success.

Unsticking thread.

I think it was great..
I think it needed refining (hiding the thanks list on each post, and replacing it with a stars system, and removing the counter in a user profile, and moving the thanks button away from the reply buttons (or at least allow a retraction of a vote in the event of thanking instead of replying).

People will only abuse it if there is a reason to - in this case it was the prestige of having 14232 people thanking you in 12 posts. Remove that possibility and it would get better immediately.
I just worked out how to use the feature!
I don't think it was really a good solution to the problem, if you want to call it a problem. Its purpose was a bit ambiguous.

R.I.P. thank-you thingy. :tombstone
There will allways people who abuses systems on some way
#98 - JTbo
Quote from The Very End :There will allways people who abuses systems on some way

There is and sometimes it is noisy minority.

I would think that with some improvements and giving it week or two that could be working, group of people can be quick on something but getting used to change is something that takes lot of time and there will be some complications too.

But if it really did not serve what it was created for then naturally it is quite pointless to try and keep it running.
instead of completely removing it, wouldnt it be possible to make only only available to certain forums?
surely would have the best use in the improvements forum and i dont it would get abused there
But how would it make sense there? In what context?

Using it as "I agree" would somewhat fit, but what is the point of saying I agree when I can't say I disagree?

Otherwise if using it as "thank you for your good post", then improvement suggestions is probably the worst place as most of the posts are repeats or simply bad ideas that go against everything LFS stands for. The few good suggestions would get praise, but they even do that now.

If there's one thing we should do then it is encouraging good and useful posts, but that also means crap posts should be discouraged. You could use an anonymous post rating thingy (maybe even using the "star" system - just avoid numbers), and if you really need to show a global user stat then you can just display the average post rating or something.

Or we just tell the mods to have a field day and hand out short term bans for rubbish posts without exception. Or implement an alternate probation like system where if applied the user just isn't allowed to post for a certain time. Or hand out humiliating custom titles/avatars that show how much of a muppet the poster is (or do the opposite to show how awesomely rad he is).
(Yes I'm stealing these ideas from SA.)

Or we don't change anything and endure the ever rising amount of people who don't give a damn about their posts and write like they're text messaging. [insert random whining about the good old times]

Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG