The online racing simulator
Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
Quote from Bean0 :And up the minimum characters per post to get shot of this +1/-1 nonsense.

I do like that idea, the one character minimum isn't especially useful.
Can't we have a troll-button instead?
We already do.

Quote from JamesF1 :I've just noticed... we have a 'thanks count' too... this is going to go downhill very quickly indeed.

If the thanks button will be used as a reputation agreement, it will. But most of the regulars here have shown they can adapt to a new feature in short times without abusing it. Let's wait and see.
Those not wishing to see so many 'Thanks' may want to look here
Trust us, it really works!

Now what the heck is that supposed to mean?
Well, the script really works. I love it.
Quote from JTbo :

What this system changes is that it helps devs to see how many have supported idea from one look from first post. Idea is to say thanks or not to first post, not to posts following it AFAIK.

How much I do charge rent from my brain time again?

Well, a half blind bat could see that with his ears two miles away, duh.
Great feature, but really adds annoying messy texts and boxes and it makes my eyes hurt. Should be made less visible like suggested already.

oh wait..or should I have thankyoued you too? :P
#60 - JTbo
Quote from Blackout :Well, a half blind bat could see that with his ears two miles away, duh.
Great feature, but really adds annoying messy texts and boxes and it makes my eyes hurt. Should be made less visible like suggested already.

oh wait..or should I have thankyoued you too? :P

You always need to thankyou me

I don't see point having such system elsewhere than in improvement suggestions area, btw.

We certainly don't like to see system that put some respect or whatever under someone's profile by clicking thank you as then there is going to be load of abuse, especially in other boards than imrpovement suggestion board.

But I guess it is not possible to limit system to be in only one board.
Quote from JTbo :But I guess it is not possible to limit system to be in only one board.

Yes it is. Maybe it should be limited to some sections. Not sure. I'm currently trying to get a better sense of the impact it really has.

Besides those children who seemed eager to press the thanks button in every post (who are now banned for a while), I think it'll work quite nicely. Like was said before, it's just another button (smaller now than earlier) and people need to get used to it a bit.
I agree if it would lead to huge amounts of extra clutter, it would be worse than whatever it tries to cure, but it doesn't have to lead to that. However if it does, I'll remove this mod again. And maybe i need to make my own plugin for a more delicate "thanks" scheme or similar.

The thing is, I want to reward people who make sense a bit more than those posts that are totally senseless (of which there are a lot currently) or plain rude. We need to step up the quality level a bit in my humble opinion. Maybe the thankyou mod won't achieve that, but we won't know until we try
Quote from Victor :Yes it is. Maybe it should be limited to some sections. Not sure. I'm currently trying to get a better sense of the impact it really has.

Besides those children who seemed eager to press the thanks button in every post (who are now banned for a while), I think it'll work quite nicely. Like was said before, it's just another button (smaller now than earlier) and people need to get used to it a bit.
I agree if it would lead to huge amounts of extra clutter, it would be worse than whatever it tries to cure, but it doesn't have to lead to that. However if it does, I'll remove this mod again. And maybe i need to make my own plugin for a more delicate "thanks" scheme or similar.

The thing is, I want to reward people who make sense a bit more than those posts that are totally senseless (of which there are a lot currently) or plain rude. We need to step up the quality level a bit in my humble opinion. Maybe the thankyou mod won't achieve that, but we won't know until we try

On an arts forum i visit there's a "Reputation" system. Under each person's avatar..etc there's a little number in brackets (their reputation) and a plus/minus sign either side.

What I thought of too, instead of the big bars that display the "The following users agree with this post", was to just have a little sign at the top right of each post next to the Post number and the report button. If its a green tick, people agree. You can then click on the green tick and see which users agree with it.

Wouldn't that be alot easier?
#63 - JTbo
But how to know from which post you are thanked from? I can't recall any association where I would been thanked nor deserved any thank yous

I really like to see how this develops and what kind of method of utilizing this function community adopts, it is bit like watching those test mices in labyrinth
Go into your profile (click name and choose view public profile), and in forum info there is a box that says "thanks" and you can click "Find all thanked posts by XXX."
#65 - arco
I think something like this maybe would work good to help up the quality. I tried to install it on my test board, but sadly I got all sorts of error messages on the front end. Hopefully the author can work out the bugs, cause it seems to have potential.

Attaching some images for those that can't view them on vbulletin.org
Attached images
postbit.gif
memberinfo.jpg
stats.jpg
who_voted.jpg
#66 - Jakg
Quote from Jakg :Woud it be possible to leave the "Quick Reply" button at the very right, then the thanks button? ATM i can never seem to find it "first time"

*cough* after getting remotely used to not just clicking the button you moved it again - it would be nice if you either did this or make the "Quick Reply" box "Always Open" like it is on every other forum i've ever seen.

Quote from LFSn00b :Yes - like http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=28937 and
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=490256#post490256 (starting there and ending at the end of the XR skin thread)

Quote from AndroidXP :On second thought, the current implementation doesn't really make sense. You should say "thank you" to someone because he was helpful or otherwise nice, not because you agree with him. And now we have a number that basically says 832 people agreed with 326 posts of user X. Thanks for the info, but who cares? The huge bold text making everything messy doesn't help either.

The word "Thanks" is wrong - it implies some sort of Reputation-based system when this just means "Yup, i agree", but to be fair in a thread like "I think we should change the minimap to blue and move it 3 pixels right" a +1 isn't really appropriate as chances are you might only want it 2 pixels to the right.

If it really IS just "i agree" then take it away from underneath the post count, because it's a ePenis number that will get abused by some of our... younger members.

Having a sytem where you can agree with the post is great, especially if it's like a tick or a cross - maybe even a tick/cross/report like currently at the top of the post, with a tick/cross/post number/report button in the top right.

Personally i don't think this will solve anything, but if it was JUST an "I agree" button that wasn't in your profile it would solve the ePenis number. Of course, "+1" is viable imo if you then expand to WHY, but lots of people don't. Perhaps upping the minimum character count to 10 might help?

/me grabs GreaseMonkey script....
A Digg like rating, where you can vote +1 respectively -1 for each post might be better than a completely "positive" voting system. Yes, good posts should be rewarded, but why don't you allow a slap for complete crap posts? Might even make sense to hide posts (like those of ignored users) if the post rating is below a certain threshold. If you want to view it you can do so by a simple click and the hidden post will expand.

On the other hand, this would probably confuse people because they think of "+1" as "I agree" and "-1" as "I disagree", however that system should reflect post quality, not agreement. Actually I don't think that the agree/disagree posts are much of a concern at all, I think it's rather the poor quality that should be bothering us.
Quote from AndroidXP :A Digg like rating, where you can vote +1 respectively -1 for each post might be better than a completely "positive" voting system. Yes, good posts should be rewarded, but why don't you allow a slap for complete crap posts? Might even make sense to hide posts (like those of ignored users) if the post rating is below a certain threshold. If you want to view it you can do so by a simple click and the hidden post will expand.

On the other hand, this would probably confuse people because they think of "+1" as "I agree" and "-1" as "I disagree", however that system should reflect post quality, not agreement. Actually I don't think that the agree/disagree posts are much of a concern at all, I think it's rather the poor quality that should be bothering
us.

That wold make sense. Like Victor said, some people have something to say but some post utter crap and the latter should be cut down. But I could imagine that kind of +/- system would turn out nasty. Somehow I don't see it go well with the somewhat friendly forums. Given that we have many children here, which was already proven with this new thank feature, it would be a bit messy.

If it made people think twice before posting it could be worth it. But I think it would do less good than bad.
#69 - halo
Quote from Hankstar :I think a discreet number would be fine and it could just sit next to the thumb icon in the person's post

Hangstar's idea is good, while on the other hand, the number of people who responded as they "agree" means nothing in terms of information. Furthermore, displaying the agreed forum user data could be in the form of more specific nature, like;
...such number of users have read the xx thread and the percentage of those who agree is xx%.
IMHO.
-
(Lible) DELETED by Lible
I applaud the effort, afterall I know that some people hate the +1's ...

However, the fact that this has gone to 3 pages shows the inherent flaw in the system... Forum members can't help but post something when they see an open thread, even bad ones.

Under irony in the dictionary, see this post.
I have to agree. I think this is going to cause more spam than it prevents.
I've already seen posts with several people's +1 after them, and the posts didn't even have anything worth reading in them. Seems that people are just doing it because they can. Is it because they want attention without having to actually construct a sentence?

If you ask me it'd be better to have a star rating like the threads. People could choose to rate a post and their overall star rating could appear in the avatar area with no extra additions between posts.
#72 - Gunn
Rating each other, judging each other, labeling each other. A big and efficient no-nonsense -36 from me.
/me thanks Gunn, simultaneously agreeing with him and making his nightmare reality

Should've just plus-one'd it, sorry man
Not judging each other, judging posts.

Besides, as people we judge each other in multiple ways all the time. "He's tall", "she's fat", "that's a crap hairstyle", "he's a scary bugger" - they're judgements and they're true. Nothing wrong with adding "He's making a lot of sense" and "He's talking rubbish" here
#75 - Gunn
Driver A crashes accidentally into Driver B. Driver B gets mad and comes on the forum, pulls up Driver A's profile and gives a negative review to all of his posts. Every time Driver A ever makes a post on the forum his shadow is there to rip him down. Boo hiss, release the hounds Godfrey! :spike::spike::spike:

What's next? hi, this is Big Mother speaking, call this number to vote off the forum member of your choice. Call now.

Say thanks?
(119 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG