The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option?

Yes, I agree.
No! It should be removed.
Quote from ajp71 :This new option has been very deliberately added by the devs, bringing LFS into line with other sims (which have had this as an option or in some cases no chase at all for years) and community requests.

Thankfully LFS's development is not a democracy and LFS is a racing simulator which any other side shows (like city driving/drifting) have to fit into of course some people will want to hinder the devs plans to remove the remaining arcadey elements of LFS but thankfully it seems Scawen sticks to his decisions, which so far have only been good for the serious racers which LFS is targeting.

It could be the costliest descision he had ever made
I dob't it. Plus! how many pick up servers are going to enable it? I bet its still only the autox ones that have it enabled.
Quote from Avatar13 :I'm surprised at the reactions to having an option for the game. I would think that those that don't like servers with the option enabled would just play on different servers. I guess I'm just too new at this to get it.

Catch this then.
What you see as an opportunity, I see as a limitation. I will have fewer servers to race on. Is that good for me, and 1/3 of the rest, you think ??

Edit :
It`s hard enough to find a descent server these days, as is.
Quote from alland44 :It could be the costliest descision he had ever made

Why? We don't need players that fly over cars, adopt the realistic option or leave. I haven't messed with view options, so i don't know can you make cockpit view only to see top of the dashboard, close to the windshield. If there isn't such an option Scawen should make it, so basicaly make Forced IN CAR view, if you wanna kiss the windshield, it's fine, be on the back seat, fine, but it's not fine to fly over the car or lay under the car. You have a HUGE advantage with outside view, it's redicolous, it's not even debatable.
IN CAR view should be forced, not an option, but the fully ajdustable in car view.
Why don't all of the custom/wheel/chase view drivers don't understand that it's just an server side option, not likely to become a standard in lfs servers ?
Quote from ATHome :Why don't all of the custom/wheel/chase view drivers don't understand that it's just an server side option, not likely to become a standard in lfs servers ?

Why can`t you understand, that this will limit my options, when choosing a server !?

Yesterday - Everything was available. That is not the case in the future
As simple as that

The poll says 32% is in the same situation. Yep ! Forced view is great
Quote from Boris Lozac :Why? We don't need players that fly over cars, adopt the realistic option or leave. I haven't messed with view options, so i don't know can you make cockpit view only to see top of the dashboard, close to the windshield. If there isn't such an option Scawen should make it, so basicaly make Forced IN CAR view, if you wanna kiss the windshield, it's fine, be on the back seat, fine, but it's not fine to fly over the car or lay under the car. You have a HUGE advantage with outside view, it's redicolous, it's not even debatable.
IN CAR view should be forced, not an option, but the fully ajdustable in car view.

I don`t care, what people do, as long as I enjoy racing them

Keyborders aren`t much realistic and mousers too. Lets get rid of all that talk about realism, or shall we kick keyboarders and mousers !??

It`s about choice and enjoyment, which now is being limitated for 32 % of the customers

That`s my point.
Quote from alland44 :It`s hard enough to find a descent server these days, as is.

Not surprised - hardly anyone plays Descent anymore

Quote from DuVeL :Nah, I don't like it.

Why forcing a view that's unrealistic ? I'm not looking at my stereo while racing.

Wheel view was the closest to real life racing IMO; and no I'm not constantly looking at the wheels to take a perfect turn.

True, you're not staring at your centre console, but you're not lying down headfirst between your front wheels either, nor are you staring at the arse of your car as if you were following it in a double-decker bus ... [/devils' advocate] Anyway, the only reason you're not looking at your stereo while you drive is because Xzibit hasn't pimped it with a 7-inch LCD screen yet

What's so wrong with looking through your car's windows anyway? I'm no "force cockpit view permanently" hardcore but I don't see why people are against this option so explosively
Quote from ATHome :Why don't all of the custom/wheel/chase view drivers don't understand that it's just an server side option, not likely to become a standard in lfs servers ?

For F... sake, that's the problem!!!! That's on the server side!!!!

Why the hell should be something forced to your personal driving interface, for you to be able to join a server?!

Quote from Boris Lozac :Why? We don't need players that fly over cars, adopt the realistic option or leave. I haven't messed with view options, so i don't know can you make cockpit view only to see top of the dashboard, close to the windshield. If there isn't such an option Scawen should make it, so basicaly make Forced IN CAR view, if you wanna kiss the windshield, it's fine, be on the back seat, fine, but it's not fine to fly over the car or lay under the car. You have a HUGE advantage with outside view, it's redicolous, it's not even debatable.

...and I'm not a chase driver, but... ridiculous advantage?!?! ROFL... Why don't you use it then?! You Noble you...
The windshield in my car is 52" wide and about 30" tall (and nevermind the ability to look out the side windows without disorienting myself). My monitor is 21" measured diagonally. Anything that wastes space and makes the view even smaller is not realistic.

If the default cockpit view was "fixed" to not eat up half the screen with the dashboard, I might change my vote.
Given the way these things have gone in the past, I'm betting that the current implementation of the FCV is temporary and that Scawen will indeed give users the ability to customize their in-car view when FCV is on, to a certain degree (this is just speculation!). This feature was clearly implemented so quickly solely to keep the LX Month event from becoming a farce, and I have little doubt that he'll take the opinions here into account in future patches.
Quote from eRaptor :For F... sake, that's the problem!!!! That's on the server side!!!!

Why the hell should be something forced to your personal driving interface, for you to be able to join a server?!

Honestly, this is one of the perils (and joys) of playing a game where the individual servers are run by... individuals. They pay for the server, they get to choose who races on it and how they race. Personally, I'm all for more choice.

As others have said, I can't honestly see the majority of public servers using FCV. Seems like a thing that's useful mostly for leagues and the rare driver who's into the idea of ultra-realism. (Or for autoX competitions, a la LX Month.)
Quote from eRaptor :...and I'm not a chase driver, but... ridiculous advantage?!?! ROFL... Why don't you use it then?! You Noble you...

Because i tend to make my simming as real as possible. Maybe you can't do better times with outside view, but you see much more than you would in RL. You see the tires, you can see the drivers around you much better(not a bad thing though), but generally it's not realistic. As i said, make the Cockpit view adjustable fully to the limits of the inside of the car so that people can set only to see top of the dasboard, etc.. making more use of the monitor..
Is the forced view the view with the wheel and drivers arms in place and the rest of it?

I race in the cockpit but turn the wheel and driver off and move a little closer to the dash (I have a wheel in front of me already).

Will I be able to continue doing this or do I have to use the standard view in servers restricted to cockpit view?
Quote from STROBE :I can see the advantages of non-cockpit views in other situations too, eg being able to perfectly place your wheels over kerbs and chicanes lap after lap, because you can see the damn things. That's not realistic. A single screen might be limiting, but it's a lot more realistic to have a cockpit than it is driving with a transparent car or an invisible camera boom sticking ten feet out the back.

If you are looking at your wheels or at the apex while cornering, then you are looking completely at the wrong part of your screen. You are handicapping yourself by doing this. You should be looking ahead at where you want to be, not where you want to go.

I could care less about what view others use. If you are using anything other than cockpit view for reasons stated above or chase view for better view of cars coming from behind, then you are handicapping yourself and are not driving as fast as you could be driving.
I think alot of people dont understand... It's a server option.

And being a Host myself our team pays a damn sight more than an S2 Licence per month to run bloody servers so we will put whichever settings we deem necessary on it!!!

Some people have to realise It's the hosts decision not the user that uses chase view. Hosts pay alot to run servers (unless sponsored) and let you (the LFS Community) join them. Saying that you paid for LFS and are going to use whatever view you like on hosts is just silly.

Leagues want a even playing ground and this is probably the best way to do it. It's an option on almost every other sim out there ATM.

The vast mojority of hosts aren't going to use this feature anyway so just chill.

Oh and Vilante_11 you can turn the driver and steering wheel off
Quote from Vilante 11 :Is the forced view the view with the wheel and drivers arms in place and the rest of it?

I race in the cockpit but turn the wheel and driver off and move a little closer to the dash (I have a wheel in front of me already).

Will I be able to continue doing this or do I have to use the standard view in servers restricted to cockpit view?

It just fixes you in the default cockpit view, it doesn't mandate whether you have the arms/wheel visible.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :It just fixes you in the default cockpit view, it doesn't mandate whether you have the arms/wheel visible.

Yes but can I move myself closer to the windscreen and a little left or right to suit my set up?
Quote from Vilante 11 :Yes but can I move myself closer to the windscreen and a little left or right to suit my set up?

I would assume that all you can change is the FOV (an the mirror stuff) because a move accross is a custom move
Good setting! Cheers!
Quote from Unforgiven :I would assume that all you can change is the FOV (an the mirror stuff) because a move accross is a custom move

No worries, thanks mate
I'd like the idea of forced cockpit if I could change my orientation around so I could get a bonnet-cam.

I've just changed the custom view in the FXR to a bonnet-cam, and it's cracking fun. I actually prefer it to the wheels.
Attached images
bonnetcam.jpg
I voted YES.

Less arcade, more simulation.

...awaits for server option to turn off track minimap too.
isn't this option just to cater for competition servers? The competitions have real prizes and therefore must have a level playing field! But noooo... some cry babies want to drive with invisible chassis so they can see the cones better!

Go join a different server. Unless you expect everyone to drive in wheels view in teh competition to make it fair? Yeah no thanks.
I'm yet to see where the advantage in using wheels view is. As others have pointed out you don't look where the wheels are positioned, you look ahead to where your heading. I use wheels and other custom views basically because they give me a better sense of everything around me an a much clearer view. Much more then the restrictive cockpit view.

In the end it, just like set ups, it ultimately depends on the driver and not the view. The sooner you realize this, the better.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG