The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option?

Yes, I agree.
No! It should be removed.
Quote from spankmeyer :Realistic this, realistic that, get a grip man. Pressing a button to look on your side is still more realistic than hovering behind your car or lying on the front axle of your plexi glass car.

You have two ears, steerlook option works great and which wheel doesn't have two buttons?

How do you know i have two ears? Yes i do, but i have only one speaker. Maybe we should ask for forced right speaker for all the sounds so other players don't have an advantage on me? I do have buttons on my wheel, but i use it for the miniguns on my bumper to shoot faster drivers.

No, i'm just kidding about that. And maybe i will try dashboard view more (and like it) but for now i prefer other views and that is the question in this topique. Just because i don't want to waste 50% of my view to a dashboard and don't like to use the buttons on my wheel. I do think i would like dashboard view when i had multiple monitors. What do you care wich view other drivers prefer?
:ices_rofl @ Huru
Quote :How do you know i have two ears? Yes i do, but i have only one speaker. Maybe we should ask for forced right speaker for all the sounds so other players don't have an advantage on me? I do have buttons on my wheel, but i use it for the miniguns on my bumper to shoot faster drivers.

:ices_rofl

Exactly what I need, tho instead of miniguns, lazers.

Race:

- Fast driver passes the arcade n00b driver
- Phew Phew free moonride!
- OMFG LAZER OMG!!
Quote from Huru-aito :I understand the people who have temporarily lost their custom views, it's hard to adapt if you need a special setting because of your different hardware or something. But, in general.. Well, i made a picture.

This one made my day. Thanks, Huru!

Quote from eRaptor :Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option

I sure do. It's an option, you know.
There could be either a check that the custom view is within realistic boundaries, or an additional custom view restricted to such boundaries and allowed under the new forced cockpit rule.
This new option has been very deliberately added by the devs, bringing LFS into line with other sims (which have had this as an option or in some cases no chase at all for years) and community requests.

Thankfully LFS's development is not a democracy and LFS is a racing simulator which any other side shows (like city driving/drifting) have to fit into of course some people will want to hinder the devs plans to remove the remaining arcadey elements of LFS but thankfully it seems Scawen sticks to his decisions, which so far have only been good for the serious racers which LFS is targeting.
If you voted no then you are Mr Bean or a Mr Bean wannabe. The only person I can think of who drives a car sitting on the roof.
LOL Huru, you rule
Quote from anttt69 :If you voted no then you are Mr Bean or a Mr Bean wannabe. The only person I can think of who drives a car sitting on the roof.

Maybe just someone who don't want to be forced to use an unrealistic view or someone who just respect other people choices
I voted against in this poll, but I voted against the current system.

I would like some limited changes to X Y Z and pitch to be allowed. This would still fulfill the purpose of the change as it would still be a cockpit view, but would allow minor seating adjustments. I use Z + 0.05m in formula cars and a bit of negative pitch so I am still well within the cockpit it just helps me focus my view on the track and not the dashboard, which is true to life.
learning to use buttons or joystick axes to watch left and right and behind the car - around the car make just your skill higher. IRL must u move your head, and in game must u move joystick, mouse, or press buttons, thats more realsitic than use chase view and all the wallhacking views.
It make just the game better, because you get a better skill while practice.
In my opinion, the cockpit view is not a realistic view anyway so why enforce it?
When I drive a real car I need to move my head to change the radio but in LFS I can see where the radio would be, easily from the cockpit view. Personally I used cockpit view for 9 months or so then went to a custom view where I see the bonnet. In some cars I can see the dashboard, i.e. the uf1. If I ever feel the need to be able to see my feet when racing round a track I will jump back to cockpit view, but please don't force me.
Everybody has all the same options, so if it is considered one option is better than others, there is nothing stopping everyone from using that.
When driving a real car (obviously from cockpit view I can drive at speed and reach less than one inch away from a corners apex, being able to see the wheels may make it easier but it is easily possible from any view.

If we are going to force cockpit view for realism and even the playing field, then we should force a lot of other options as well;
fixed screen resolution, no trackir, only use 1GHz of cpu power, force using 900 degrees wheel, force using clutch pedal, force using H shifter, force using 3 monitors, force using force dynamics, forced to have a 1mbit net connection. Are we getting the idea here...

If the argument against doing the above is hardware, then the list would read:
fixed screen resolution, no trackir, only use 1GHz of cpu power, force using mouse and keyboard control, force using clutch keyboard key, force using H shifter(on the keyboard!), force using one monitor, forced to have dialup net connection. Now this idea is really bad, so please don't go down this road.
Without the human eyes ability to focus on what it is interested in, I find cockpit view painfully distracting.
Quote from MajikC :In my opinion, the cockpit view is not a realistic view anyway so why enforce it?
When I drive a real car I need to move my head to change the radio but in LFS I can see where the radio would be, easily from the cockpit view.

get a matrox triplehead2go, put the FOV ingame to a real value, and I bet you wont see the radio anymore, without moving the head (also ingame) to see it

Edit: IT'S AN OPTION!
Quote from steve :The view (seater's position) is not adjustable forward or back, up or down. It should be to a certain point, for my setup I need to move the seater's view backwards a bit and FOV up, otherwise I have no sense of speed and handling, if this is forced and alot of servers start using it, it looks as if i'll have to stop playing LFS online, im all for the forced cockpit, but at least have it adjustable to a point. Please make the seat adjustable if its possible

PLease Scawen READ this idea!

2 Sliders for Y and Z axels in the cockpit view, with limitations of course.

Here 2 pics of my "custom" view in game and my real "cockpit".

My custom view is just a cockpit view with modded Y and Z positions.
Attached images
Custom View.JPG
Cockpit.jpg
"Why forcing a view that's unrealistic"

Yes. I totally agree. And thank you Scawen for this server option. And as I wrote before, its´still on option to allow or deny. No harm done.

Of course I´m going to have forced cockpit view on myserver as the game is a racing sim..
Quote from AK-Chester :I sure do. It's an option, you know.

Is on the server side, you know...

Quote from ajp71 :Thankfully LFS's development is not a democracy and LFS is a racing simulator which any other side shows (like city driving/drifting) have to fit into of course some people will want to hinder the devs plans to remove the remaining arcadey elements of LFS but thankfully it seems Scawen sticks to his decisions, which so far have only been good for the serious racers which LFS is targeting.

Damm... Who are you? Hannibal Lecter? Using psychology to ciment a decision for your own convinience - Thankfully it seems Scawen spot it and goes against it just to prove no one plays mind games with him...
Quote from Luiggi :PLease Scawen READ this idea!

2 Sliders for Y and Z axels in the cockpit view, with limitations of course.

Here 2 pics of my "custom" view in game and my real "cockpit".

My custom view is just a cockpit view with modded Y and Z positions.

LOL. Those pics say it all!
I'm surprised at the reactions to having an option for the game. I would think that those that don't like servers with the option enabled would just play on different servers. I guess I'm just too new at this to get it.
#123 - Woz
There have been big fights over this one.

I voted enforce BUT i would like it to be that the view is FORCED to be inside the car but I dont care where.

The reason behind this is simple... In a chase view you are above the car so you can see over what is infront of you. Its an unfair advantage.

Once things like visible windscreen and more smoke come in then people outside the car have a BIG advantage. Hence force inside the car.
I am all for realistic views in cars. Forcing only cockpit view seems like a quick attempt, but as already suggested, you could force the view in certain limits, so all the hood-cam drivers can still use their realistic enough cams, but wheel-only and chase are still excluded.
Huru, you rock! i lmao'd at those pictures.

I voted for the forced cockpit views even though I use custom views on some cars.

I think it will make some people learn how to drive properly.

Not an issue for me, good drivers will adapt to anything..
This thread is closed

Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG