The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option?

Yes, I agree.
No! It should be removed.
Yes, I agree with it wholeheartedly! It's just what LFS needs

Quote from Don :+ disable F9/F10 and even SHIFT+P

Yes please!

Quote from The Moose :I totally agree with it. Anything that makes this sim more hardcore gets my vote.
Next up..no minimaps, in fact nothing on screen at all..just introduce a pitboard.

We agree!

Quote from Maelstrom :what's next? a compulsory detector to see if we wear an helmet while we're driving?

Good idea. Get rid of the idiots with their silly unhelmeted drivers! Although it does make it easier to spot the kiddies
i voted yes i agree, because it shouldnt be banned, because it is afterall only a server option, option meaning not some servers might not have it on, that way we have the best of both worlds. even tho i use cockpit mode myself so im not affected im trying to see it from others' viewpoint
I'm so used to my custom view now (over the bonnet, sitting central) I find it really hard to adapt to the forced view and drive accurately. It's like I have to relearn again.
Quote from tristancliffe :

Good idea. Get rid of the idiots with their silly unhelmeted drivers! Although it does make it easier to spot the kiddies

I was talking about a real helmet
I agree with disabling the 3rd person cam, but not the other one.

When you drive a car in real life, you're only focussed on whats beyond the windshield. I don't want to see the interior of the car. I always put the cam at the position of the wheel, and it feels more realistic.
i dont, please scawen remove it, not every1 has great pc's to handle 10 cars with the cockpit... i use ths custom because of fps issues, and because im faster than with cockpit
Quote from Maelstrom :I was talking about a real helmet

So was Tristan. Better check your sarcasm detector, it might be toast. :P
Quote from Blackout :So was Tristan. Better check your sarcasm detector, it might be toast. :P

I thought he meant people who had virtual drivers without helmet because they used this player hacker.
Quote from zeugnimod :I thought he meant people who had virtual drivers without helmet because they used this player hacker.

Well, you never know about Tristan.

The second option is of course that my sarcasm-o-detector is overreacting. :P
Quote from Darkone55 :When you drive a car in real life, you're only focussed on whats beyond the windshield. I don't want to see the interior of the car. I always put the cam at the position of the wheel, and it feels more realistic.

That is exactly how I feel about this issue. LFS's default cockpit view doesn't come close to a real life equivalent. When you transfer LFS's default cockpit view to real life, it's like sitting on a back seat of an average family sedan with the front seat taken out. People hype it only because it's labeled "cockpit" view.
Quote from Moonclaw :Less arcade, more simulation.

I don't agree. Maybe if you got a huge monitor it should be fine. But I don't have one. I like to see whats beyond my car, not what's in it. Just like real life. In real life you have a 180 degrees field of view. In LFS its just a small screen. That's why I prefer to see only the bonnet.

I'm used to it now, so I don't like the option. If all the big servers would have this option on, I simply wouldn't drive on them, leaving what? A few lagging servers where only 8 cars are allowed? It's a bit of a doom scenario, but what if...

And exactly what you say Renku!

If I want a forced cockpit view I'll race it in real life. This is a sim, it can't be perfect, it just simulates. The way I put my option simulates the way I experience driving in real life.
I understand the people who have temporarily lost their custom views, it's hard to adapt if you need a special setting because of your different hardware or something. But, in general.. Well, i made a picture.

Quote from The Moose :Take netKar pro as an example, forget the bugs it has...even if it was flawless online i still doubt there would be a huge market for it as there just aren't enough people that want that level of hardcore racing. It's simply not a viable commercial option these days imho.

Partly true but what comes to nKp, being too hardcore is really smallest of the problems regarding lack of online activity I don't think the stuff I mentioned would cut down potential customer count (except those who are already playing the wrong game), it's just that LFS have had these things for years and people have used to it too much.

Quote from steve :The view (seater's position) is not adjustable forward or back, up or down. It should be to a certain point, for my setup I need to move the seater's view backwards a bit and FOV up, otherwise I have no sense of speed and handling, if this is forced and alot of servers start using it, it looks as if i'll have to stop playing LFS online, im all for the forced cockpit, but at least have it adjustable to a point. Please make the seat adjustable if its possible

Good suggestion, just having two sliders for seat position would be a lot easier than making custom view... in custom view you can of course place the seat (meaning camera) anywhere you want but it's more complicated.

Huru: ^5000
i mostly drive from the roof view. in cockpit i always seem to cut someone off becuase I can't see that they're there! Pitspotter would help but I would't have a forced cockpit view untill the interiors have been finalized.
Realism has its borders. This IS and STAYS a racinggame. As been said up here: If I want a forced cockpit view I'll race it in real life. This is a sim, it can't be perfect, it just simulates. The way I put my option simulates the way I experience driving in real life.

And if people who have the habit of using this cockpit view only can laugh, call us cheaters, and so on...
Man, had no idea people/this forum/LFS had lowered down so much in level during my study break.
Sad, just sad.
Quote from deggis :Partly true but what comes to nKp, being too hardcore is really smallest of the problems regarding lack of online activity I don't think the stuff I mentioned would cut down potential customer count (except those who are already playing the wrong game), it's just that LFS have had these things for years and people have used to it too much.

Good suggestion, just having two sliders for seat position would be a lot easier than making custom view... in custom view you can of course place the seat (meaning camera) anywhere you want but it's more complicated.

Huru: ^5000

It's not just a matter of seat position. Your screen isn't stuck in front of your eyes. Mine is 50 cm away and I expect to see things starting from that distance! Not from the driver's eyes
Quote from Huru-aito :I understand the people who have temporarily lost their custom views, it's hard to adapt if you need a special setting because of your different hardware or something. But, in general.. Well, i made a picture.

LOL
I don't, and I drive cockpit 99% of the time.
Quote from Renku :That is exactly how I feel about this issue. LFS's default cockpit view doesn't come close to a real life equivalent. When you transfer LFS's default cockpit view to real life, it's like sitting on a back seat of an average family sedan with the front seat taken out. People hype it only because it's labeled "cockpit" view.

Feel the same way. Who drives with two wheels anyway? (Your desktop wheel, and the wheel on the screen).
Also. In real cars you can move your head to the side so you can see past the those posts that keep the roof up.
Quote from Scawen :LOL

Is this all our beloved God has to say ?
LOL, point and laugh at those who use another view ?
#71 - Don
Quote from GianniC :Is this all our beloved God has to say ?
LOL, point and laugh at those who use another view ?

what should he say? he isnt supposed to say anything about this subject, i guess his opinion is obvious since he coded the feature.

#73 - wien
Quote from GianniC :Is this all our beloved God has to say ?

Oh common. It's a funny picture. I LOL'd myself.
I like the wheel and axle picture.

That is actually really funny though.
This thread is closed

Do you agree with the "forced cockpit view" option
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG