The online racing simulator
S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
#76 - wien
Quote from Bawbag :Joking aside I do agree, I use cockpit view and can't see any reason to bring this forced thing in?

I'm guessing it's for the AutoX competition servers. Driving AutoX in wheels view for instance has it's advantages since it's much easier to place your wheels around cones and such. When prices are involved that may be seen as an unfair advantage I guess.

Not sure if I like it, but I am pleased I switched to cockpit view a month back.
Quote from Gabkicks :well nobody ever said lfs was a democracy. i drive from true cockpitview so this makes no difference to me.
ALL HAIL life co-dictators SCAVIER!!!
in scavier we trust.

BULLSHIT !!!

Explain to me, how you can get a real cockpitview, on a flat 15 - 21" screen

When I sit in my irl car, you cover at least 160 degrees. When I look at my 21 " screen, the visible area is about 40 degrees !?

How can you have a real view, in the game ?

Its impossible, and NOT real simulated.

Also you see the interior much much to sharply - Do you see the interior in your car sharply, when driving ?

The best simulation, is to watch just outside the windshield, seeing the thing that covers the motor (I`m Danish and can`t remember the name for the motor covering thing)

In openwheelers, it`s ok. You can argue for the lx4, 6 and uf1, as they are driveable with inside view

I think the physics are the most important thing, in a race simulator, and then let people decide for them selves, how they want to see the surrounding world.

This is not at step forward for Lfs
Quote from Vykos69 :Guys, it's AN OPTION!!!

Quote from danowat :

Personally, I really can't see what all the fuss is about, just learn to race from a different view, or don't race on servers that have forced cockpit on them, it's that simple really.

Quote from garph :I knew this stupid arguing/moaning would happen.

I know it says forced cockpit view but it's still optional. I can't see many or why servers would run it, even if they do it will only be to test it or until they realise that not as many people are joining.

Agreed X3. I think some here are blowing this way out of proportion.

After I got my G25 wheel I switched from the view of tires only to cockpit. Took me all of about a week to get used to it.
Quote from GianniC :....

It's just the way this thread will go, you said you didn't like it (and that's fine, I'm not saying that's bad) but the thing that gets to me is that here we are 3 or 4 pages later, all talking about the same thing over and over.

No one will change anyone elses mind, no one will change this new patch it will just decend into reposts and arguing.
Perhaps a new view should be added, say a "Bonnet view". Centre of the car, just in front of where the windscreen would be. For certain things, wheels view could be disabled.

A bonnet cam would give us wheels drivers the same sort of position we're used to, but we wouldn't be able to see where the wheels actually are (Unless it's an LX or single seater).

Just thought, forced cockpit in single seaters would stop me using the custom camera placement I use (TV style onboard front facing).

/me shuts PC down so the pub gets a visit...
Some nice stuff in these recent patches. The forced cockpit option is a bit controversial though.

I've always used cockpit view so it doesn't affect me, but I don't really understand why anyone would want to force it on other people. Maybe wheels view gives a bit of an advantage? I don't know.

Quote from Syfoon :Learning to race from a different view is easier said then done.

It might not be as hard as you think? Have to try it first.

Quote from mr_x :I don't like forced cockpit option, due to the fact I don't like the position of the cockpit camera so I use custom views.

I used to do that in a couple of cars, just to get mirrors in and so on, so I can agree with you there.
Quote from Syfoon :Perhaps a new view should be added, say a "Bonnet view". Centre of the car, just in front of where the windscreen would be. For certain things, wheels view could be disabled.

A bonnet cam would give us wheels drivers the same sort of position we're used to, but we wouldn't be able to see where the wheels actually are (Unless it's an LX or single seater).

Just thought, forced cockpit in single seaters would stop me using the custom camera placement I use (TV style onboard front facing).

/me shuts PC down so the pub gets a visit...

EDIT :
Bonnet it is
I like the Vykos69's idea of moving the position of the virtual eyes only! It wouldn't satisfy everybody tho but it would give us more liberties while staying inside a realistic range of views!
Especially if we can move it backward/forward!
Quote from alland44 :

The best simulation, is to watch just outside the windshield, seeing the thing that covers the motor (I`m Danish and can`t remember the name for the motor covering thing)

That depends on where you were raised:

UK = bonnet
USA = hood

Well done Scawen. Now give servers an option to deny restart voting DURING a race and all will be bloody marvelous!........Please.
Quote from Doorman :Well done Scawen. Now give servers an option to deny restart voting DURING a race and all will be bloody marvelous!........Please.

I can second that
No restarts !
Quote from BurnOut69 :Obviously Eric wants everyone to appreciate his upcoming awesome interiors

Depends, without custom view I can't see any dials or interier in most cars (100 deg FOV on triple screen setup), I have to put the camera back and down a bit so I can at least see the rev counter.

Will force cockpit view stop me from seeing the dials (ignoring the arcadey virtual dials)?

Screenies:
Cockpit view
Custom view (still in the cockpit)
Quote from Bob Smith :
Will force cockpit view stop me from seeing the dials (ignoring the arcadey virtual dials)?

No. Just adjust your FOV in or out till you see the dials. You may have to cast your eyes down to see them but if you disable the wheel/driver there is no impediment.
EDIT: Have you cropped those images?
THIS is what I see on a 22" widescreen 63° fov
Personally I think that is it a good feature even though I myself on some cars use custom views as the cockpits are just horrible and awkward to drive with. Hopefully fixed soon

I think though that if you are a good driver then you can race with any view available, you just have to adjust. I do hope thought that not all servers will suddenly jump on the fixed cockpit view band wagon and that some servers will remain unrestricted...

nevertheless i give it a

+1

mad

+1 also goes to the suggestion above to have some moveability of the camera when in the cockpit. Just like GTR has it available.
#90 - SamH
Quote from GianniC :SamH:
Are you saying I drive less clean then someone who is using a cockpit view ? That I behave less realistic on the track, because I use a different view ? I don't see any difference between the racers / sort of racing which is going on in a server and how a different view has any influence on "the kind of racing that happens on servers". Unles you can enlighten me ?

No. It's a host option, like selecting the cars and forcing pitstops. It's an option. That's all I'm saying. It's all I DID say.
I have to disagree with the "force cockpit view" option.

Is true I prefer to drive with a view from the cockpit, but not the default cockpit view.
I have to edit the view, like the x and y position, and a few more small changes, that have to be made with the custom view, and are not possible to do with the default cockpit view.

On the single seaters, I find it almost impossible to drive with the cockpit view, as the eye position makes almost impossible to view some curbs aproach, and other things. I believe it will only makes a worst driving experience for everybody, causing more accidents.

For example, in the single seaters, I use a view over the helmet, like cokcpit, but not the cockpit view.

You see, people that uses only one monitor, and I believe thats most of us, just can't enjoy the driving experience being obliged to drive in the cockipt view, and I know some servers will have this option activated, being those the "pseudo elite"...

A driver quality has nothing to do with the view it uses, although I agree that having the mirrors on the view you use it helps to avoid hitting other drivers, but thats it.

In conclusion, I have to say this option should be removed, because by being there some servers will use it, and that will push people away from them, and then from LFS, or people will race anyway, but will be less competitive, because they are not used to the view, and will cause more accidents, anoying people that drive well with the view, but will get hit by those who are not.
Interesting poll, one of many on this subject over the years and if my memory serves me correctly the all got more or less the same result
Checkit Seems like only the tiny(noisy) minority will be upset by this option.
Quote from Doorman :Interesting poll, one of many on this subject over the years and if my memory serves me correctly the all got more or less the same result
Checkit Seems like the tiny(noisy) minority will be upset by this option.

This poll is irelevant! You can have your own custom view being an in car view!
Quote from wien :I'm guessing it's for the AutoX competition servers. Driving AutoX in wheels view for instance has it's advantages since it's much easier to place your wheels around cones and such. When prices are involved that may be seen as an unfair advantage I guess.

Yeah, I think with the autocross using wheels view really takes a lot of the challenge out of it. In real life, a huge part of autocross is learning the dimensions of your car and placing it correctly. With wheels view, this part of the challenge is no longer there.

I think a lot of people are worrying about this option too much with regards to the future of LFS playing, when it was really conceived to help improve the autocross competition. Those that know the developers know that they listen to suggestions and feedback, and if something needs changing, it will be looked at.
Quote from Doorman :Interesting poll, one of many on this subject over the years and if my memory serves me correctly the all got more or less the same result

This doesn`t count.
Maby the few "cockpit view" guys, are more keen to vote for their view

You have to choose a random population, and ask them

And statistics lies.

Every fourth child born, is chinese - Only get three children, when living in europe

10% of all traffic kills, are made by drunk drivers- Aha ! 90 % are sober.
It`s safer to drive drunk
+ 1 from me for the cockpit only view. I believe wheels only gives an unfair advantage.

HOWEVER, like others have said, the camera position needs some flexibility, I move it forward slightly so I can see more of the road from the windscreen.

That proves absolutely nothing!

I drive an "in car view" on all cars, but not the cockpit view!

I make a custom view to view from inside the car, but have to personalize it to be able to enjoy driving. And I think that is what is all about: ENJOYING!!!

I'm sorry to be so strong here but is stupid to use and option to force any type of view, like any type of controler. If is true that is preferable to drive LFS with a wheel, in not less true that there are near WR's made by drivers with keyboard, or mouse. Now imagine those people having to drive with a wheel, or not driving at all...

I just can't still understand where the hell did this came from in the first place!

Can someone please point me some positive points on having this option? I really am curious!
Here, allow custom views as "cockpit" as long as they have body enabled, and fit within bounds of x, where x is just the interior?
Quote from Lotesdelere :Still, I believe the option should be to disallow the chase view because it's a dangerous view to use on racing servers (no mirrors, you don't even hear the other cars untill they enter your screen) rather than forcing the use of a specific view, for obvious hardware reasons.

You talk out of your ass, i can kick you ass in chase view and still be 100% cleaner diver then you. What makes chase view so dangerous in your eyes because there no mirrors.
I have the theory that this was solely introduced for the auto_x servers tbh, but he just decided to give the option to everybody else aswell.

on the autox server its a brilliant idea, levels the playing field lots.

On the subject of chase view. Those who race chase view, and im not suggesting you arent clean fast racers etc, but how do you know whats behind you with no mirrors or look behind? Im not saying your shite, just wondering.
This thread is closed

S2 Patch X10
(314 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG