The online racing simulator
Well just got my silver license today. And I was damn proud of it. Did a extra few laps on bronze server before I went to silver and up server. . Damn this cars are twice`s as fast. But good fun.

But after retrieving my silver license the shock came from the racers themeselves on the silver server.
I noticed a hostile enviroment there was on the server. Maybe it was just last night I dont know. But it wasn`t nice to see. It looked like newbie silver licensed just arent really welcome there. I certainly hope it was just last night because it took the fun part out racing.

I have spoken to several people on the bronze server who came back from the silver server because of the enviroment. I always thought it had to do with the new cars and not being used to these cars. But it hasn`t got anything to do with the cars but the drivers who are racing there. Again I certainly hope it was just last night and not the useall way that they tread newbie silver licensed drivers.
#177 - Dru
Well,

we were on the server at the same time and i was also appalled by driving standards on the Silver server last night on the SO courses with a few 'would be quick racers'

When will 'fast drivers' who join mid race that it is not acceptable to hound the heck out of drivers in front and try and pass them at every oppotunity..also crash out, then rejoin comeout infront of the racing pack then cuase more issues by racing them??

by the way they were also only 4 lap races. why hound for the sake of three laps?

Now i have no problem with drivers that are fast, but if the guy i'm racing is only a few seconds up the road i can not afford to let off the gas and let these guys pass, particulalry with they are not fast around the entire lap only in certain sections..

when will guys learn to show some common sense....

what made it worse last night is that we as a team had been running on the W43 patch BL1, TBO. There were 30 plue racers on and there was no issues, close racing etc etc then to come back to this 'standard' of racing was just shocking.

Down hearted we went onto the S1 Bronze server and had fun with these guys who don't think they are fernando alonso just because they have access to an XRT or an FXO..
report them then!

it wont get sorted out any other way!
#179 - Dru
Quote from Jakg :report them then!

it wont get sorted out any other way!

I've got a replay...

i want to fully review it before submitting it if what i think was happening actually did ...
look..

The standard of driving in the CRTA Silver Servers is high! These comments posted here are not accurate. What i mean is that you cant judge what the standard of the racing is on those servers by only being present on them for an hour or so....

i am always going into the servers at random times to have a look at this issue... most of the times i have been in there, the racing has been excellent, just what is required. But yes, there can be times where it isnt so good.. because of a select minority.

This thread is targeting the server in general and the overall comments made simply are not accurate enought to vustify the point.

1 more thing... if you do see "bad driving" in the server... fill out a report!
Reports: http://ctra.ukct.net/report.asp

My point here is that you cant make general comments on standard of driving in a server, if you are not present on there for a adiquate period of time.
#181 - Dru
Quote from DANDAMAN05 :look..

The standard of driving in the CRTA Silver Servers is high! These comments posted here are not accurate. What i mean is that you cant judge what the standard of the racing is on those servers by only being present on them for an hour or so....

i am always going into the servers at random times to have a look at this issue... msot of the times i have been in there the racing has been excellent, just what is required. But yes, there can be times where it isnt so good.. because of a select minority.

This thread is targeting the server in general and the overall comments made simply are not accurate enought to vustify the point.

1 more thing... if you do see "bad driving" in the server... fill out a report!
Reports: http://ctra.ukct.net/report.asp

My point here is that you cant make general comments on standard of driving in a server, if you are not present on there for a adiquate period of time.

I'm on there regulalry and got to say that standards are alot better when you have someone with a UKCT tag show up - so maybe try doing it with a changed name and see if stuffis still as good...

also it does depend on who is on there... the problem was most of the good drivers were on W43 test bug forum last night and the racing there WAS excellent, meaning that there were more places available for other drivers to race on the CTRA server and as a consuquence the standard of driving (not speed) but respect and race craft)(and common sense) was lower than usual..
#182 - Dru
Quote from DANDAMAN05 :look..

i am always going into the servers at random times to have a look at this issue... most of the times i have been in there, the racing has been excellent, just what is required. But yes, there can be times where it isnt so good.. because of a select minority.

well the edited response above shows that also you do this pop in and out - so really the question is - are your 'general comments' also not valid then

J/K Dan, i know you have a devil's own job cuased by the minority..
i can see your point. and i do sometimes connect without my tag

wayyyy ahead of you on that one matey

however to a certain degree the CTRA does rely on you guys... the racers, to post reports, and help keep CTRA a safe place to drive.
there also must be another point made here.... (sorry for double post)

UKCT does not administrate the CTRA.
UKCT mearly hosts to servers/software.

The CTRA has a select panel of admins, in which the reports are made to
Quote from DANDAMAN05 :The standard of driving in the CRTA Silver Servers is high! These comments posted here are not accurate. What i mean is that you cant judge what the standard of the racing is on those servers by only being present on them for an hour or so....

There are very few non-UKCT people saying that. Unfortunately the standard of racing on the silver servers was quite appalling, which is why I no longer go one them, the bug test server has proved that whilst the TBO cars (FXO in particular) promotes contact that they can be raced pretty cleanly, ok the racing isn't as clean as LRF but it's still fun and not frustrating like the silver sever which seems to promote the whole 'rubbing is racing' type bollocks.

I've stopped reporting people because it's not one incident or person but the standards and attitudes that are widespread across the server.
hmm.. i have seen alot of people who have thanked UKCT (via me) for hosting ect.. hmmm
#187 - Dru
Quote from ajp71 :There are very few non-UKCT people saying that. Unfortunately the standard of racing on the silver servers was quite appalling, which is why I no longer go one them, the bug test server has proved that whilst the TBO cars (FXO in particular) promotes contact that they can be raced pretty cleanly, ok the racing isn't as clean as LRF but it's still fun and not frustrating like the silver sever which seems to promote the whole 'rubbing is racing' type bollocks.

I've stopped reporting people because it's not one incident or person but the standards and attitudes that are widespread across the server.

the other silver server had the LX4/LX6/RAC combo running on monday night, a few from ZWR went on there and the racing was clean and fun

i think unfortunately the TBO class comes down to 'BTCC' standard of driving sometimes where contact is seen as the norm to get past someone...

i too mirror the sentiments about the bug test TBO's last night. 30 cars running within 2 seconds lap times fastest to slowest all racing fairly cleanly with no idiots in sight...racing accidents sure, but mostly becuase we were running 4 or 5 wide are certain point
Quote from ajp71 :There are very few non-UKCT people saying that. Unfortunately the standard of racing on the silver servers was quite appalling, which is why I no longer go one them, the bug test server has proved that whilst the TBO cars (FXO in particular) promotes contact that they can be raced pretty cleanly, ok the racing isn't as clean as LRF but it's still fun and not frustrating like the silver sever which seems to promote the whole 'rubbing is racing' type bollocks.

I'm sick and tired of the server being blamed for poor driving standards by the DRIVERS themselves.

It's nothing to do with the bloody server.

It's the same as any other LFS server with the single different that we provide a facility to deal with poor driving when there is not an admin around, and we prevent unproven drivers from even connecting.

What the hell else are we supposed to do?

Oh that's right, there's a magic spell in progress that makes anyone who connects drive badly.
-
(EasTon) DELETED by EasTon
#189 - Dru
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm sick and tired of the server being blamed for poor driving standards by the DRIVERS themselves.

It's the same as any other LFS server with the single different that we provide a facility to deal with poor driving when there is not an admin around, and we prevent unproven drivers from even connecting.

Oh that's right, there's a magic spell in progress that makes anyone who connects drive badly.

Hey Becky, I think the problem is it is very easy to mis-construde the points being raised.

I don't think people blame the server, its the people who go on it and act stupidly that spoil it for the masses...

Also depending upon the driver mix on the server will dictate the level of driving.

When you have a 22 slot server and 90% are the platinum racers etc you know that you will get good clean fair racing.. however its far to say that if you have got less 'well known' visitors on the servers there is liekly to be a less notable level of professionalism there.

Also its at these stages where people can then follow the term... monkey see, monkey do .. meaning that if there are people doing 'less professional stuff' then other are likely to follow, rather than maintain their own standards of driving.

I think the fact that lots of racers are currently on the test servers of W43 (or whatever version at the mo:razz means there has been a noticable drop in more experienced racers on the silver tbo server and therefore, whilst the cats away.. the mice will play... etc etc. particulalry if these people are now competeing for top 6 finishes and there are 'more points' at stake..
The simple fact here is people need to chill out behind the wheel, the server is not the issue. Ive been to a Silver gold sever and had good races, and i have also been to a new and bronze and had good races. There are people who take it serious, and people who dont. At the early stages of STCC the servers were cleaner because the fast guys got the Silver and Gold quicker, now after months and months of racing, the guys who didnt take this racing with a bit more respect have aquired enough points to get to the silver and gold. Ive watched it change and theres not a damn thing we can do about it. What we can do is slow up let the crashers crash and pick them off one at a time. Its quite fun i swear

Again becky awesome job on the servers and keep up the hard work
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm sick and tired of the server being blamed for poor driving standards by the DRIVERS themselves.

Hmmmz, I think you missing the point here. I never said that the server is the issue here. I only said that it was a hostile enviremont for being new on a silver server.

You just can`t be a top driver and directly win every race coming from a bronze server. I already have driven several car`s since i bought LFS 2 years ago. So I am used to the tracks and car`s. Now I wanted to join the STCC or CRTA. But after reading several post in this thread I`m not so sure anymore. It seems to be a normal attitude at the silver server.

But I wont through in the towel just yet. I`ll have a go tonight again.
#192 - Dru
Quote from niels1 :Hmmmz, I think you missing the point here. I never said that the server is the issue here. I only said that it was a hostile enviremont for being new on a silver server.

You just can`t be a top driver and directly win every race coming from a bronze server. I already have driven several car`s since i bought LFS 2 years ago. So I am used to the tracks and car`s. Now I wanted to join the STCC or CRTA. But after reading several post in this thread I`m not so sure anymore. It seems to be a normal attitude at the silver server.

But I wont through in the towel just yet. I`ll have a go tonight again.

It's purely down to the mix of drivers on the server at the time
Quote from Dru :It's purely down to the mix of drivers on the server at the time

you got it
#194 - col
Quote from niels1 :Hmmmz, I think you missing the point here. I never said that the server is the issue here. I only said that it was a hostile enviremont for being new on a silver server.

This is not a CTRA issue, this is an S2 issue !

In the past when I've had a break of a few months from LFS, when I've returned, its taken a few week before the folks who've joined since my last 'term' become aware of me and I build up sufficient levels of respect/notoriety.. It shouldn't be this way - but unfortunately it is

Its like the school playground, you have to fight for your place in the pecking order - once you've done that life becomes easier - until you decide on a sabbatical... then when you return, you will have to scrap it out with the idiots for a while again

#195 - Dru
Quote from col :This is not a CTRA issue, this is an S2 issue !

In the past when I've had a break of a few months from LFS, when I've returned, its taken a few week before the folks who've joined since my last 'term' become aware of me and I build up sufficient levels of respect/notoriety.. It shouldn't be this way - but unfortunately it is

Its like the school playground, you have to fight for your place in the pecking order - once you've done that life becomes easier - until you decide on a sabbatical... then when you return, you will have to scrap it out with the idiots for a while again

sorry you quote is very misleading... not really sure what you are getting at...

any chance to re-explain your point.
@niels - it wasnt your post that annoyed me actually, it was a post where the driver said they just dont come on the server anymore because of crashers. That annoyed me, because poor driving is a community issue not a server issue.

Especially not when the server removes a substantial part of the community on a pre-qualification and reporting basis even when there's no admin about.

It annoyed me not because he felt that way, but because he chose to completely miss out the fact that the server had not wrecked him, yet was quite happy to blame it on the server in a public post.

In this case it was ajp, who I know is a keen karter and from what i've seen falls into the forceful but fair category of competent racers. From my own races against him i'm sorry to see him not returning to the servers, but more importantly, i'm disapointed to see him blame the server - it's same LFS.exe that runs on other servers
Quote from col :This is not a CTRA issue, this is an S2 issue !

Eh? I'm well aware of you, Col, but I'm certainly not going to give you any special treatment on the track.
#198 - col
Quote from thisnameistaken :Eh? I'm well aware of you, Col...

Oh noes!
I'd better quieten down on the forum to dip back under your radar
#199 - col
Quote from Dru :sorry you quote is very misleading... not really sure what you are getting at...

any chance to re-explain your point.

niels1 said "it was a hostile enviremont for being new on a silver server"

I'm saying S2 is a hostile environment for anyone who is new or is perceived as new - basically many folk judge you not on your attitude or skill, but on whether they think you are new - I am aware of this because I had a year or so away from S2, and when I returned I was treated by a significant _minority_ of drivers as a 'noob' - mostly these were folks who were mid to rear of the pack... in my previous I likened this to 'playground mentality'

Its very possible that this is just my perception and that I have learned subconsciously to avoid some servers - maybe this attitude has nothing to do with bein 'new'
This affected your races in what way?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG