The online racing simulator
Quote from thisnameistaken :I would say one important thing (for me anyway) is to hold your hands up when you make a mistake and let the driver you just barged past take his position back. If a driver does that, I forget about the contact. It's when someone nudges me out of the way, maybe sends a quick "Sorry", then demonstrates that they're not really sorry by disappearing off over the hill while I'm still getting back up to speed. Those are the sort of people I'd most likely report.

If it was indeed an accident it's better to let the person by so you can prove to the other person that indeed you do rock and pass them cleanly =) Getting a pass in because you broke their momentum is not on and is very unsportsmanlike, I hate it when I see driving using their bumpers as an "easypass" feature.
Quote from SamH :Admins take a very dim view of keybinded "Sorry! "s as the culprit zooms on FTW.

Nice to know that. I'd also like to know if there's an official position about post-race wrecking. Although not disruptive, it's something I personally don't like. I expect my car to be nicely parked at the end of the race without my G25 frantically moving out of control.
Well i think showing the "bindkey" atleast show that the use know he did something bad, and for me personaly im on Mouse allways so i cant type and drive since that will make my steering goe into a pointer with dont steer that well so i Hope the CTRA's atleast check what kinda controll's there user had when reviewing a report.

Im my case i allways say after race but it happens i forget by to intens race 6-9 laps i can tend to forget a tapp on a lap 20min ago :/ or something like that hey im human after all
I'm afraid the controller is irrelevent, and so is the car you drive. If you drive so close to another car that you're always bumping into them when entering into a corner, then you're driving too closely. It doesn't matter how you came to BE too close, you have to fix it so that it stops happening.

For the record, the bump/sorry/wait scenario has always been covered in the CTRA rules:-
SPORTING CODE 1. 2. Drivers who cause incident as a result of not establishing overlap, or by turning in on a car against whom they had no right, are expected to wait for the other car to pass them even if that involves losing several positions. Failing to do so may result in a license infringement.
Quote from Albieg :I'd also like to know if there's an official position about post-race wrecking. Although not disruptive, it's something I personally don't like. I expect my car to be nicely parked at the end of the race without my G25 frantically moving out of control.

Actually, there isn't a rule on that but I'd like to get one introduced when we relaunch in a few weeks. Ideally, I'd like to have racers complete a slowdown lap. Am I being anal?

There are quite a few rules I'd like to get established, including scrutineering appropriate driving attire. Helmets should be worn at all times on the track. We can't enforce it through InSim but I'm sorely tempted to set the rule in stone and do spot checks with 50-100pt fines.
Quote from Becky Rose :Aboslutely, say sorry with actions not words.

I've been tempted to make that a server message reply whenever someone says sorry actually! lol.

I used to have "liar" binded to my f-keys and I´d press it every time someone said "sorry".
That's a flippin' good idea, F4: 'Liar. Say sorry with actions not words - return the place and feel a warm glow'.

Then maybe name myself lamp shade.

that would be boring.

sometimes you say sorry because you bumped a little your opponent without gaining any place. You just want him to know you didn't do it on purpose. I usually give them a break in the few following corners though but the guy won't necessarily remark this and will think that I'm just slower.
Quote from SamH :Actually, there isn't a rule on that but I'd like to get one introduced when we relaunch in a few weeks. Ideally, I'd like to have racers complete a slowdown lap. Am I being anal?

No thx for the slowdown lap. But yes the postrace wrecking can be annoying.
Quote from SamH :I'm afraid the controller is irrelevent, and so is the car you drive. If you drive so close to another car that you're always bumping into them when entering into a corner, then you're driving too closely. It doesn't matter how you came to BE too close, you have to fix it so that it stops happening.

For the record, the bump/sorry/wait scenario has always been covered in the CTRA rules:-
SPORTING CODE 1. 2. Drivers who cause incident as a result of not establishing overlap, or by turning in on a car against whom they had no right, are expected to wait for the other car to pass them even if that involves losing several positions. Failing to do so may result in a license infringement.

Personaly i think there is a diffrent by Tapping and Bumping Tapping is due to person infron of you is driveing defensice and pump breaks so you dont know when to break with end up offen you lock tiers and tapp em by tapping i mean you dont push em of you dont make em slide you just toutch there bumper with out thy lose anything , only one loseing on it is you since you miss the players acceleration out of cornor and with that the draft that can creath lots of ppl doe this to Defend there place and its not very sporty same with swaying all over track and "making up a raceline thy own" comments.. but anyways this what not what i like to add to this topic

Could CTRA please add a funtion into the race that will Race is in progress let say 6 drivers are on Lap 2 / 6 a new play connect it offen locks like this, Player Vote Restart Player exit pit Player Ignore BlueFLag PLayer Crash... Why not make so Whill race in progress NO NEW player can enter race untile is over would put wreaking blueflag restart senarios down ALOT!
Quote :Could CTRA please add a funtion into the race that will Race is in progress let say 6 drivers are on Lap 2 / 6 a new play connect it offen locks like this, Player Vote Restart Player exit pit Player Ignore BlueFLag PLayer Crash... Why not make so Whill race in progress NO NEW player can enter race untile is over would put wreaking blueflag restart senarios down ALOT!

i would mention that to becky in a PM.. i have to agree with what you said here.
I would disagree with that. Mid-race-join laps are useful for newcomers to get up to speed so they don't cause accidents on the next restart. If you've got safe drivers they won't cause accidents or impede anyone when they join mid-race, and I thought the plan was to filter out all the bad drivers using the license system?
midrace joining is something i've put some thought into, and i've come to the conclusion - having joined non midrace join servers, that due to the length of some STCC races it is better to keep them accessible to all, and allow midrace joining.

I might change this to deny midrace joining in the last half of a race. My main focus of 'new connection griefing' though i'd like to cancel restart votes beyond 33% distance - but it's actually quite complicated because there are scenarios where you want to be able to restart vote. I tested a system for this previously and it did not really work.
Quote from teaz-R :No thx for the slowdown lap. But yes the postrace wrecking can be annoying.

Agree with that. I've even been wrecked on CTRA by post-race wreckers before I've finished myself, with them coming back over the start/finish line whilst other people are still finishing their final lap at full racing speed.

That's the extreme rather than the norm, but wrecking is commonplace after any race in LFS and I find it very annoying.
#140 - Dru
Quote from thisnameistaken :I would disagree with that. Mid-race-join laps are useful for newcomers to get up to speed so they don't cause accidents on the next restart. If you've got safe drivers they won't cause accidents or impede anyone when they join mid-race, and I thought the plan was to filter out all the bad drivers using the license system?

+1

don't forget if a bad driver comes along, they are still going to come along and cause havoc at the start.

The problem is the not safe driver, not the point at which that driver start
I've always been of the opinion that after the race you can mess around and be social etc. If you want to avoid the carnage dont stop at T1, however...

Quote : post-race wreckers before I've finished myself, with them coming back over the start/finish line

Driving back over the start/finish line is deliberate and malliscious wrecking. This has always been a lifetime ban on CTRA servers, and we forwarded replays onto the barricade for it. Going back over the start line is a big no no, you are entering on to a part of the circuit where actual racing is taking place.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I would disagree with that. Mid-race-join laps are useful for newcomers to get up to speed so they don't cause accidents on the next restart. If you've got safe drivers they won't cause accidents or impede anyone when they join mid-race, and I thought the plan was to filter out all the bad drivers using the license system?

Cant agree with you since, Get up to speed thy got plenty of time doing on next race why destroy for the ones allready raceing? You join you wait then you start back of line and work you way to top its not a quake game where you die respawn and go again since here loseing time is devestating offen this "mid races" bindkeys a pit out msg pull out infront of top 3-4 and ignores the blue flag with makes alot of frustration and lot of DONT YOU KOW WHAT BLUEFLAG MENS?!? btw beeing under blueflag for like say 30sec should put you back into pit ;>
Quote from darkfate :Cant agree with you since, Get up to speed thy got plenty of time doing on next race why destroy for the ones allready raceing?

I've never destroyed anybody's race by joining mid-race, and I do it all the time.

Quote from darkfate :offen this "mid races" bindkeys a pit out msg pull out infront of top 3-4 and ignores the blue flag with makes alot of frustration and lot of DONT YOU KOW WHAT BLUEFLAG MENS?!?

People who do that should be reported. Enough reports and you'll never see them again - problem solved.

Quote from darkfate :btw beeing under blueflag for like say 30sec should put you back into pit ;>

It's quite possible to have a blue flag message on-screen for several laps without the faster car ever catching you.
I also think mid race join should stay. I do it all the time to practise after the pack has passed the pits, so I can get accustomed to the track. The problem of mid-race-joining people ruining your race should be solved by reporting, not by forbidding it completely.

That way you actually solve two problems; people like me can still practice the combo without interfering and inconsiderable pricks who don't deserve their license get booted, too.
I often lead or am near the front in races. I really dont see that many problems with backmarkers who dont move over. It's happened to me a COUPLE of times in all the time i've raced LFS. It's happened to me in real racing too - infact i've broken ribs over a backmarker ignoring the blue before.

What I see an aweful lot more is fast guys who dont know what the blue flag means, who spam blue flag messages (I wish I could make that auto-kick! lol), and who are far too impatient in passing.

I do accept that mid race joiners can effect the leaders unfairly or unsportingly. A lot of things can happen when people are unsporting - that isnt a failure in the system, it's just because some people are ****s. Report them.

What I really would like to see the end of is the ignorance of people who spam off abuse to 'backmarkers' (who are often fast people who just joined or who just arent quite as fast in a long race or who have had an incident - rather than people who are outright slow) simply because they think the moment the other driver gets the blue flag message they should pull onto the grass or shift-s.

I've seen the discussion from some drivers, where somebody - and I find it gobsmacking - literally insisted that backmarkers should shift-s.

What should actually happen, is leaders should expect to loose time.

It's part of racing. If you dont want to deal with other cars then go and do rallying!

Personally I believe, that for the most part, backmarkers in LFS are far too forgiving of leaders because they are used to having abuse shouted at them.

I'm going to start insisting on a new standard for myself personally: I will not resist a leader lapping me and make it easy for them when their car is just about reaching my slipstream. I will no longer loose 3 seconds just because some 9 year old thinks he's God - purely because he did a do or die in Turn 1 and got lucky enough from his mayhem to find himself at the front.
Quote from SamH :Ideally, I'd like to have racers complete a slowdown lap. Am I being anal?

Uhm yes , that's going a bit too far in my opinion (at least for now), but you have my full support for proper attire enforcement and for disallowing/disapproving post-race wrecking.
Quote from Albieg :Uhm yes , that's going a bit too far in my opinion (at least for now), but you have my full support for proper attire enforcement and for disallowing/disapproving post-race wrecking.

I agree a full cooldown lap would be excessive but sitting on the track should not be permitted after a race. I enjoy getting an extra lap in to try any new maneuvers that I had thought of during the race that would have been too risky to try during the race.
Quote from Becky Rose :I often lead or am near the front in races. I really dont see that many problems with backmarkers who dont move over. It's happened to me a COUPLE of times in all the time i've raced LFS. It's happened to me in real racing too - infact i've broken ribs over a backmarker ignoring the blue before.

What I see an aweful lot more is fast guys who dont know what the blue flag means, who spam blue flag messages (I wish I could make that auto-kick! lol), and who are far too impatient in passing.

I do accept that mid race joiners can effect the leaders unfairly or unsportingly. A lot of things can happen when people are unsporting - that isnt a failure in the system, it's just because some people are ****s. Report them.

What I really would like to see the end of is the ignorance of people who spam off abuse to 'backmarkers' (who are often fast people who just joined or who just arent quite as fast in a long race or who have had an incident - rather than people who are outright slow) simply because they think the moment the other driver gets the blue flag message they should pull onto the grass or shift-s.

I've seen the discussion from some drivers, where somebody - and I find it gobsmacking - literally insisted that backmarkers should shift-s.

What should actually happen, is leaders should expect to loose time.

It's part of racing. If you dont want to deal with other cars then go and do rallying!

Personally I believe, that for the most part, backmarkers in LFS are far too forgiving of leaders because they are used to having abuse shouted at them.

I'm going to start insisting on a new standard for myself personally: I will not resist a leader lapping me and make it easy for them when their car is just about reaching my slipstream. I will no longer loose 3 seconds just because some 9 year old thinks he's God - purely because he did a do or die in Turn 1 and got lucky enough from his mayhem to find himself at the front.

Took the feet right off my mouth. Well put
Quote from teaz-R :Took the feet right off my mouth. Well put

It's possible I'm going to regret asking this, but... is this the same as "you took the words right out of my mouth"?
Quote from teaz-R :Took the feet right off my mouth. Well put

Oops, I seem to have walked into an alternative dimension. Terribly sorry.

*steps away as donuts rain outside*

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG