The online racing simulator
Well, I wasn't under the impression that Becky was keeping the source to herself. That I would truly not understand.

If Becky comes back, or if you or someone else begins working on something new and could use input or some work from another developer, I would be willing to try to fit it in to my schedule.
#52 - SamH
Don't get me wrong.. I don't know if she'd give the source if someone asked for it. It's not VB, C++ or any other language that any of us know, so whether we had the source code or not, there's still a steep learning curve before we could emulate what we've had before.
On on the off-chance that it's Ruby, I know someone seriously good with it that may be able to help.
#54 - SamH
I think it's called Blitz Basic. I don't know much about it, except it's game-oriented, or graphic-oriented.. I think. Maybe. Umm..

I keep firing up LFS, loading up the server list, staring at it for 2 mins then shutting down LFS... There's nowhere i want to race. I feel a bit lost without STCC.
I might have to resort to going out into the real world again.
Quote :The source files are Becky's, and only Becky has access to them. Continuing the STCC without Becky's input is absolutely not an option. Ripping the .exes would not be an option, not least since Becky's deleted it from the UKCT server via FTP (not to mention that it's Becky's intellectual property, so it wouldn't be an option anyway).

FFS! I have not been partial to any discussion regarding handing over of the STCC Management software or source. I removed the software on closing the system as a method of causing the application to exit and to prevent a relaunch that night, which I felt was necessary for reasons I wont go into. The system was closing very soon anyway it was just slightly earlier than expected.

In the morning there hardly seemed a point in opening the public servers again, they're dying very soon anyway without an update and i've had far too much stress out of the whole STCC thing. Now there's even more, where this came from I dont know, you could have spoken to me about it.

Now there's a complaint above for not training an apprentice programmer? ARGH! I just want peace and quiet. I'm exhausted, stressed, and I cannot take any more.

Look the STCC servers where very good, but they where not the be all and end all. They where just some public racing servers that got constantly flamed and bashed when they where around, and now they're gone so I figured now there's nothing to complain about. I got that wrong, but the point is there really wasn't anything special about them ... at least, if I said otherwise i'd get flamed for it.

So you see, I dont want the project to come back - I want it dead. I want it dead so that I can walk away from it. I want it gone and forgotten so that people stop attacking me.

They where a stupid idea anyway.
Quote from SamH :Don't get me wrong.. I don't know if she'd give the source if someone asked for it. It's not VB, C++ or any other language that any of us know, so whether we had the source code or not, there's still a steep learning curve before we could emulate what we've had before.

from waht ive read blitz is pretty much basic so it cant be that hard to get the general idea
Why?
Hi there!

As I used to drive STTC and now found the league down, I would like to know what the reason(s) were
for that!?

Please can someone say in simple words, what caused
the (sudden?!) end of the league?

Greetings, Z30 Dandy Dust
Quote from Becky Rose :Now there's a complaint above for not training an apprentice programmer? ARGH! I just want peace and quiet. I'm exhausted, stressed, and I cannot take any more.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. I was afraid someone might read that as "I don't think its as impossible as you do for someone to take over for Becky" -- thank god you read it correctly.

The whole point was I was telling you, Becky, that I felt we had something in common and I was offering my advice and support. At the same time, I was trying to let other people know that (at least I think) running the STCC in your absence (edit: typo) isn't impossible. But you've made it clear enough that we are absolutely nothing alike and now the only advice I have is that if you can't help but misinterpret or ignore everyone's kind words and can only see the complaints, quit reading the damn forums.
#60 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :Now there's a complaint above for not training an apprentice programmer? ARGH! I just want peace and quiet. I'm exhausted, stressed, and I cannot take any more.

That's a silly way to read what I said, tbh. There is no reasonable way to go from me stating that nobody is up to speed on the language, or has access to the source, to me complaining about nobody being trained up.

I accept that you don't want to be involved in the project any more. I certainly know the reasons why. I have no beef.

But that doesn't mean that nothing like the STCC should exist in the future. And as I said before, I'm not interested in letting it go.
Right, manager is being uploaded. development folders are on their way to Sam. On SRA2 the driver aids are screwed, I was going to rip them out and rewrite them, i'd advise going with SRA2 rather than trying to patch SRA1 - just use it for reference of how to do things.

If you want to open some servers with the old manager, just edit the welcome messages and do it in a new name rather than STCC. I'd suggest UKCT.

No technical support given.
Don't know what to say. Too many things to say. Big loss for LFS community for both racing and developers.
It's a shame that people who can't control their anger make the things they make, and it's a bigger shame that people around him support him! But, I don't want to start that all over again.
Becky, your work has been at least amazing. What the STCC servers did, no other server ever did for LFS and now they are gone. I understand that you are having RL problems and that you are sick of it all but I cannot stress enough how that servers were important to me. My online time will be cut to one third of the time I spent racing when STCC was here.
Bad day for LFS racing, bad day.........
Quote from s1m0n :Bad day for LFS racing, bad day.........

I suppose you could call it "Black Friday" (yesterday).

I will definately miss the STCC, but I do look forward to seeing if sam can pick up the pieces and put them together. Good luck sam, we're all behind you on this one!
Quote from The Moose :..........i hope i will come across drivers such as Sparky Dave, Swiss Tony, Lord Blaster, Bravus, Viper(RUS) and all the others i enjoyed such close,clean racing with over these last three months. It's been a pleasure.

Hey...wtf..u didnt put me on your fanlist

but i miss it too...good clean racing is what LFS is about..and the names above is just a fraction of good racers out there...

i too have s*itloads of cr*p happening IRL..so i know that LFS is not on the "need to do list"...
lets just hope that STCC makes a comeback..or if not..u might see other servers taking the ideà s becky made..and use them in there own way.

peace out racers...
It would be wonderful to see something similar to STCC coming up in the near future, but for everybody's peace of mind, I'd suggest waiting a week or two. Feelings need to calm down, rants need to be read to mirrors etc, and patches need to be done.

Becky, I salute you for your hard work! I hope you can look back on the STCC League in fond memories when everything is over. I hope your RL works out perfectly for you, gods know you deserve it. I wish you a happy future.

Sam, if you, and the rest of UKCT, manage to get something running, I'm sure you'd get as much support as Becky has have from the drivers.

Everyone else, go offline and perfect your sets, and lets meet on some server somewhere and have d%¤" good races! I hope to meet all you crazy bustards ( ;P ) in the near future, I just hope I find a car I can drive at the time. A.Yuukuno will still fight you for that 6th place every time I can!

Me? Well, I'll stay low for a week or two, gonna take a vacation rather soon as well. After that, I'll see if I can find some obscure server to race on, my RB4 skills should be up to par by then (still suck at the others.)

Goodbye STCC, may I meet your reincarnation.

/A.Yuukuno
K. Elfstrand
#67 - SamH
Quote from AmayaYuukuno :Sam, if you, and the rest of UKCT, manage to get something running, I'm sure you'd get as much support as Becky has have from the drivers.
[...]
Goodbye STCC, may I meet your reincarnation.

/A.Yuukuno
K. Elfstrand

You WILL INDEED!
With Becky's help (thank you Becky! :throwrose ), we are already up and running!

We now have 4 servers online! -
  • UKCT 1a: XFG and XRG (S1)
  • UKCT 1b: UF1
  • UKCT 2a: TBO (S1)
  • UKCT 2b: TBO
Your STCC licences are valid (WEEHEEEE!!!), and EVEN MORE points can be earned!

I will make a more formal announcement shortly, in the General Discussion thread.. there's quite a bit of work to do, to re-brand the servers and the web interface. Becky has asked us to re-brand, and I think that's perfectly sensible. We've opted, in the short term, to name it the "UKCT Race Authority", or "UKCTRA", although it isn't necessarily set in stone. It's just something we can work with in the short term, and since it's now entirely in-house with the UKCT, it makes sense. Yes, we're a self-appointed race authority

Becky has very kindly uploaded all the source code for the project, and we have Eddy on-board to help us too. Eddy's the guy I mentioned, who's UKCT's offensively clever application coder. He'll be helping Mike and I, when we get stuck.
#68 - dave
Thanks Sam, becky and ukct guys, awesome news
Isn't the 'SRA' name still valid? It would make much more sense to name the servers "SRA 2a (Silver & Gold)" etc. There are two problems with the current naming: Firstly, calling it UKCT makes it sound like it's just a public team server, which isn't the case. Secondly, the (New & Bronze), (Silver & Gold) brackets were rather important. The new servers don't stand out to those looking for the old ones.

If 'SRA' is not to be used, pick something else entirely separate from the team, as you're naming an authority, not a server.

Great news though, and thanks to Becky for enabling the whole thing, and to the UKCT chaps who have taken a huge task on.
#70 - SamH
We've been discussing this very topic this evening. UKCT is, actually, much "larger" than its LFS team. Many of the people in the UKCT group have never used even the demo version of LFS, though in total about 20 UKCT members have bought LFS. Only around 5 or so (of the actual UKCT people, rather than the LFS team) are active LFSers.

UKCT stands for UK Computing Team. We're a group of IT professionals, with members who are from all aspects of computing. Only a very tiny corner of UKCT is actually an LFS team.

In the short term, just so we can get it under an umbrella, we've called it the UKCTRA just for now. We did consider SMRA, or "Sim Motor Racing Authority", but it is a big name indeed, and we'd be able to expect some grief for being so presumptuous. We're banding around names for it, and will very possibly throw it open for you guys to pick from our favourites.
The STCC is dead. Long live the UKCTRA

Well done Sam. I admire your attitude to press ahead and persist in the midst of adversity (and some totally un-warranted criticism) and not letting go of what has already been achieved here. That's a true sign of dedication. For what it's worth, you have my total support.

I won't and haven't commented on what I think of this recent fiasco because there's no point. Let's move on to solve the problems at hand so that we can get back to what we all want from this, which is - some quality racing.

Swiss
#72 - SamH
It's worth a tremendous amount, Tony. Thank you!
Good luck Becky.

Quick work Sam. Long live whatever you renamed it because i already 4got.
#74 - Vain
Thanks Becky for taking the courage to give away your project.
Thanks Sam and all of UKCT for taking over.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Thanks Becky for taking the courage to give away your project.
Thanks Sam and all of UKCT for taking over.

Vain

i agree thanks UKCT and thanks becky for letting UKCT run your software, WE LOVE YOU BECKY (even if you dont know it) its a shame we cant see your programing get to the places you wished for, without you onboard things will probrably progress slowly, but i am very thankfull that you handed over the hardship to somebody else, chill out and get some "me time" LFS will be waiting for your return

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG