The online racing simulator
missign your braking point =)
(54 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
how many of you brick it when you know you've missed the braking point by about a meter or so It's scarey ain't it ....what I do is; in those two seconds or so I go "Oh shit" and apply the brakes, stare at the speedo, and hope to God I can get it into gear in time and around the corner.(I may have closed my eyes for a bit aswell)

Push it! :heyjoe67_

:lfs: Rocks! :headbang:

E:

erm, i messed up teh title: noob.
#2 - Goop
The trick is to leave a bit up your sleeve

Though if I find myself 'on it' at a marker too far, I just straight-line it and close my eyes..... highly recommended
Man all I need is pants and I'm ready to go downtown and make the fiesta in my Bob Smith-Mobile
#4 - CSU1
Quote from Riders Motion :Man all I need is pants and I'm ready to go downtown and make the fiesta in my Bob Smith-Mobile

What? LOL

Fiesta. as in meal?
RIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT A "Meal" yea its a meal alright
Why do you stare at the speedometer?
lol probably so he doesn't see who he hits if he does hit someone

if i miss it then i start using my handbrake to slow me down faster
Quote from XCNuse :

If the handbrake actually slowed down your car faster we would be all braking with it...
hehe, Imagine that situation IRL

Try to drive whit 100% fuel, you need new braking points, and it's hard and scary to find them
And once again the failings of the sim comunity are clearly spelled out.

If I mis my braking point that I have no worries as I still have ample room to slow down and make the turn because I was smart and had the forthought to allow some margin for error unlike 95% of the people that race here and bitch when they get taped in the ass under braking because one of their fellow racers pulled the all to common bonehead move of not leaving any margin for error.

Growup and race smart. Then maybe T1 won't be just a cluster every single god dam race.
On some races i slow down (slightly) because i would like to survive T1...once i started 15th and was 5th after T1

B2T: if i miss the brake point i stay relaxed and take the turn wide, missing the apex, maybe loosing some places: the important thing is that you don't go on the grass, especially with slick-equipped cars.
Quote from XCNuse :lol probably so he doesn't see who he hits if he does hit someone

so do i, put the car sideways and hang on
I dont sign my braking points so this never happened to me.

Sorry, someone had to...
Missing it by a meter shouldn't be any concern, unless you never hit any apex and screech past the outside of every corner at crazy entry speeds
It'll just mean going wide, it happens.

Missing the braking-point by an entire marker though... hah. I guess it's different for every corner, depending on whether you're about to hit a brick wall, gravel, or just an extra stretch of asphalt. Survival-mode kicks in I guess, although I must say that I can't remember the last time I've missed a brake-point by an entire marker, unless switching from an open-wheeler to a roadcar and miss-judging stopping power counts ;D
Quote from CSU1 : ....what I do is; in those two seconds or so I go "Oh shit"

If you've missed a braking point by two seconds then the crowd better take cover (or your on a bicycle )
Quote from The Moose :If you've missed a braking point by two seconds then the crowd better take cover (or your on a bicycle )

like the time my pedals disconnected at aston nat LOL
Quote from Gimpster :And once again the failings of the sim comunity are clearly spelled out.

If I mis my braking point that I have no worries as I still have ample room to slow down and make the turn because I was smart and had the forthought to allow some margin for error unlike 95% of the people that race here and bitch when they get taped in the ass under braking because one of their fellow racers pulled the all to common bonehead move of not leaving any margin for error.

Growup and race smart. Then maybe T1 won't be just a cluster every single god dam race.

If your racing with good drivers then leaving ample room to slow down is not an option if you don't want to be left for dust. The only way to go faster is to push the limits...

Lap 1, T1 I can understand taking it a bit easier but not a lot. Considering you are usually approaching T1 at a significantly slower speed. The problem usually occurs when someone brakes far too early and very hard. A lesson people need to learn is if your going to brake early or are not sure then brake gently to begin with. As if you brake hard your just going to cause a chain reaction all the way down the field.

If I slip up and run into someone I'll take the blame, it's part and parcel of racing. The whole fun in racing is to push each other to the limit and at the limit accidents will happen. If someone hits me and they say "Sorry" I'll just give them a "" as I'd rather they pushed me hard than follow in a train like fashion.
#18 - CSU1
Quote from Gimpster :And once again the failings of the sim comunity are clearly spelled out.

Quote : have no worries as I still have ample room to slow down and make the turn because I was smart and had the forthought to allow some margin

But what do you do when you miss it by a couple of meters(obviously you are some sort of super driver who never makes mistakes on apex entry)

If you miss your brake marker, the way I see it is you have three choices, to decide you only have .5s: 1) do what XC said and almost 'drift' into the entry killing off speed. 2) Plant the brakes trying hard not to overbrake, looking at the speedo because I can see the spot on the track where I will begin my apex entry knowing exactly what speed I should be going when I hit the entry point. If I decide speed is too high because I have missed my braking point I will opt to do a XC on it and cut the entry-drifting killing off speed, killing tyres.
3). Bite the gravel.

Quote from Kieran :If your racing with good drivers then leaving ample room to slow down is not an option if you don't want to be left for dust. The only way to go faster is to push the limits...

Thats what I'm trying too say. Pushing it. Not; Not leaving room for others etc. etc. thats playschool stuff that.

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm just trying to get the point across that, when you are on for example: Ky GP on lap 20, you are getting quicker with every pass, so you decide to push the envelope on your stickey tyres braking a meter or so later every lap
It's that special half a second or so when you are fighting physics and have to decide to ditch it or not...It gets the heart going, and is what racing is all about folks

@ Moose: lol, I was just saying '2 secs' as an example of time....I suppose the crowd would have well taken over by then
Quote from CSU1 : how many of you brick it when you know you've missed the braking point by about a meter or so It's scarey ain't it ....what I do is; in those two seconds or so I go "Oh shit" and apply the brakes, stare at the speedo, and hope to God I can get it into gear in time and around the corner.(I may have closed my eyes for a bit aswell)

Push it! :heyjoe67_

:lfs: Rocks! :headbang:

E:

erm, i messed up teh title: noob.

Lol i do the same.. but not close my eyes :P
-
(Goop) DELETED by Goop
I never miss the braking point by too much... so even if i brake late, i still can maneuver and avoid crashing. my tires may be a little hot but i probably wont lose my place. In rare cases, people brake about 70 or so meters later than the they should be and plow into everyone in front... those kind of mistakes get people killed irl.
When I miss my braking point, I always steer directly to the apex. That way you will have more tarmac.

But I usually don't miss it.
The simple answer is I don't miss by a couple of meters. Anyone that does not allow some margin for error is a wreckless driver. Just because this is a simulation and not reality is no excuse to drive at 10/10th all the time. Mistakes happen, the colision detection system is a little iffy, and lag can all have very negitive affects on close racing and if you have no safty margin then bad things happen and tempers flare.

I have alot more fun where the drivers I an running with respect me enough to allow for small mistakes or incidents to not have a big impact on the race. As the comfort level gets higher the racing gets tighter and the amout of magine shrinks. But on a public server racing with people I am not very familure with I don't push it as close to the limits. So no I am not the most competitive on the server and it may take me a few races to get up near the front but once I am there I know I got there by being smart and patient not being a bullheaded dork like so many other people I have raced with.

Sure there are times when for what ever reason you can't get the car stoped and when that happnes you just run wide and give the other drives the room they need to avoid you.
#23 - CSU1
Quote from Gimpster :The simple answer is I don't miss by a couple of meters. Anyone that does not allow some margin for error is a wreckless driver. Just because this is a simulation and not reality is no excuse to drive at 10/10th all the time. Mistakes happen, the colision detection system is a little iffy, and lag can all have very negitive affects on close racing and if you have no safty margin then bad things happen and tempers flare.

I have alot more fun where the drivers I an running with respect me enough to allow for small mistakes or incidents to not have a big impact on the race. As the comfort level gets higher the racing gets tighter and the amout of magine shrinks. But on a public server racing with people I am not very familure with I don't push it as close to the limits. So no I am not the most competitive on the server and it may take me a few races to get up near the front but once I am there I know I got there by being smart and patient not being a bullheaded dork like so many other people I have raced with.

Sure there are times when for what ever reason you can't get the car stoped and when that happnes you just run wide and give the other drives the room they need to avoid you.

Yes! now you're getting it. You described as the race goes on(traffic or not btw, thats a different topic) how the driver feels a need to close the error margin to such a point that:
Quote from csu :It's that special half a second or so when you are fighting physics and have to decide to ditch it or not...It gets the heart going, and is what racing is all about folks

....feel the racing blood coursing through your vains
#24 - JJ72
I don't actually think missing the braking point for a coupe meters is anything serious, you will just go in a bit quicker and maybe not hitting the apex as precise as you wish.
Quote from Jertje :although I must say that I can't remember the last time I've missed a brake-point by an entire marker, unless switching from an open-wheeler to a roadcar and miss-judging stopping power counts ;D

Antonia Pizzonia (ex-F1 driver) did that very thing, driving a Jag...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHFkd8fgBFQ

(54 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG