The online racing simulator
Quote from seinfeld :this is just proof that the lfs community can create some good stuff, it also proves that the developers are either stupid or just wankers, cause they arnt harnessing the talent on these forums, for anything, I know of people that can map and do all the graphics for tracks 200000000% better then what the devs can do yet they dont ask, and its not even about the money for the people on the forums, they just want a better game, its just frustrating that we have a game that has so much potential but is being limited to 3 stupid **** developers, being anal, and saying we will develop it our way, thats fine but get some help and get this thing finished already ****!

Don't like the sounds. Fine.
Don't like the way LFS is developed? Fine -> play one of the other 'sims'
Don't like the developers themselves? Fine -> do a better job

Dave was able to spend a lot of time on the sounds, Scawen was constrained by time and the community begging for a patch.
Lots of other people might be better at 3D work or mapping or track creation than Eric, but until HE/THEY want to let 'us' then we'll live with that. If you want to do it yourself, play rFactor and weep at how bad it is.

LFS is being developed in their own way, and they've always been open about it. Scawen will usually talk about anything that he's doing, but won't talk about things that might happen in 6 months time because he simply doesn't know what he's doing in 6 months time.

Being rude, which is something the devs have never done (except Victor, once, but that's an exception), just makes YOU look silly. They've never promised us anything and not delivered it. I'm sure all three of them have, in the past, tried self-pleasuring, but I doubt sufficiently for it to be used as a noun. I don't see you improving track textures, or tweaking sounds - if you are so perfect, then get off your soapbox and muck in with the rest of the clever chappies here.

Personally I think a months forum ban would be the least you should get.
Quote from seinfeld :this is just proof that the lfs community can create some good stuff, it also proves that the developers are either stupid or just wankers, cause they arnt harnessing the talent on these forums, for anything, I know of people that can map and do all the graphics for tracks 200000000% better then what the devs can do yet they dont ask, and its not even about the money for the people on the forums, they just want a better game, its just frustrating that we have a game that has so much potential but is being limited to 3 stupid **** developers, being anal, and saying we will develop it our way, thats fine but get some help and get this thing finished already ****!

You have no idea what is going on at all, if only you knew. And your attitude is absolutely terrible. If you don't like it, find something else to do..

If you don't like it, don't be here.

And if you think the quality sucks, make your own shit

Dude, did you fall outta bed the wrong side this morning or what?
Seinfeld you are quite a comedian!

I won't ban you because you are so funny!
Wait till he whips out his advices on how to sell a game
Copyright Brazil 2006
Seinfeld why are you even here? All I ever see you do is bitch and moan. you are either very arrogant and ignorant or simply quite mentally challenged. you say you're fine with how the devs choose to work yet you continue saying they should do it differently. why don't you do a lot of us a favor and leave. I wouldn't waste my time on a game i don't believe in. You're wasting forum bandwith and people's time with your whinging. kthxbi.
Quote from Scawen :Seinfeld you are quite a comedian!

Must be English humour; I don't get it

A quick search of Seinfeld's activity reveals a plethora of ultra-high standard posts such this. I don't see why a ban isn't in order You're too nice!

Regarding sounds, you still have my head thinking day & night about the relationship between turbo activity and intake sounds... Your point about unconsumed air makes sense, and yet the relationship between the rotational speed of an impeller and how much air it's trying to pump is undeniable... Suppose we had the XRR at full tilt, air screaming in, gobs of lovely torque abounding and so forth... When we slam the throttle shit, the turbo slows down since
a) There is much less heat expansion & exhaust gas flow through the turbine housing; therefore less energy is dumped into the turbine
b) Since the impeller was previously at it's peak efficiency RPM (+/- some small % I suppose) it has a lot of resistance against it in the form of some dense compressed air.

Since the rotating mass of the impeller/turbine assembly has what's probably significant inertia (I think well over 100,000RPM worth IIRC), it cannot therefore instantly stop attempting to pump air the second the throttle is shut. Therefore, in the turbo cars, letting off should'nt cause the air intake sound to immediately cease like it does in the NA cars. The air it tries to pump either goes out the BOV if there is enough pressure, or it must simply cause the impeller to stall if there is not enough pressure. But since it is rotating at some speed for at least some time, it is still trying to move some air. I couldn't answer that final portion when you asked me in Dec.

@Tristan - you seem awful confident about the self-pleasuring
Quote from Scawen :Seinfeld you are quite a comedian!

hey scawen, I dont mean to be rude, but im frustrated at the level of talent that isnt being harnesed in this community, the game can be so much better if you would get some people on board, thats where all this language comes from is my passion for this game that has the potential to be the best, but limiting the amount of people working on it, and giving me emails like, we cant disclose any upcoming features in lfs is where my frustration has bought me to this point, I use language to show my passion, as no one can see my facial expressions posture ect , its bleeped out anyway, scawen, please take some people on board and lets get this game some momentum

to Dave, your work is brialliant and is totally appreciated, I only drove the XRR since putting your sounds on , and am thankfull you took the time to do it, which is 10 million times more sexy then the reworked sounds from the devs, hopefully when lfs get more detailed more scalable sound engine you could incorperate nice induction sounds, like a nice quad throttlebodies suck is just pure sex, but I understand you cant do that at the moment with the current engine, I would love dave to be put on the sound dev team as he as per my post just shows the wealth of talent on here, of course you would do it for free wouldnt you dave just for the love of the game im sure

even tho I may not sound like im a lover of this game, I digg it totally, and you need to be cruel to be kind to get somewhere sometimes, I hope that everyone now knows how much passion I have for this game and can now take my posting style without to much dis respect as its totally not meant to be that way
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Must be English humour; I don't get it

A quick search of Seinfeld's activity reveals a plethora of ultra-high standard posts such this. I don't see why a ban isn't in order You're too nice!

Regarding sounds, you still have my head thinking day & night about the relationship between turbo activity and intake sounds... Your point about unconsumed air makes sense, and yet the relationship between the rotational speed of an impeller and how much air it's trying to pump is undeniable... Suppose we had the XRR at full tilt, air screaming in, gobs of lovely torque abounding and so forth... When we slam the throttle shit, the turbo slows down since
a) There is much less heat expansion & exhaust gas flow through the turbine housing; therefore less energy is dumped into the turbine
b) Since the impeller was previously at it's peak efficiency RPM (+/- some small % I suppose) it has a lot of resistance against it in the form of some dense compressed air.

Since the rotating mass of the impeller/turbine assembly has what's probably significant inertia (I think well over 100,000RPM worth IIRC), it cannot therefore instantly stop attempting to pump air the second the throttle is shut. Therefore, in the turbo cars, letting off should'nt cause the air intake sound to immediately cease like it does in the NA cars. The air it tries to pump either goes out the BOV if there is enough pressure, or it must simply cause the impeller to stall if there is not enough pressure. But since it is rotating at some speed for at least some time, it is still trying to move some air. I couldn't answer that final portion when you asked me in Dec.

@Tristan - you seem awful confident about the self-pleasuring

when backing off when ur at full boost the blow off valve dumps all the pressure, and hence the impellers stall, but you get a noise from it as well
No, the dump valve vents all the pressure to STOP the compressor stalling, and uses the pressure to make a silly noise. Also, that pressure is, basically, stored energy, so why throw it out of the car and start from scratch - atmospheric dump valves are just silly in my opinion...

At Jeff: I used to be Scawen's fluffer in a previous life, so I know these things...
Quote from tristancliffe :No, the dump valve vents all the pressure to STOP the compressor stalling, and uses the pressure to make a silly noise. Also, that pressure is, basically, stored energy, so why throw it out of the car and start from scratch - atmospheric dump valves are just silly in my opinion...
At Jeff: I used to be Scawen's fluffer in a previous life, so I know these things...

ROFL

Shall I redig up the blowoff debate AND the horsepower debate?

FWIW, blowoff is only necessary in high pressure applications since without it the thrust bearing takes a beating. However, recircing it will still just let pressure bleed off very rapidly anyway, and throw in the added bonus of a stalled impeller to boot.

I don't even WANT to know what a fluffer is TBH

@ seinfeld - please stop attempting to make it sound like there are neurons firing in your head.
Quote from seinfeld :to Dave, your work is brialliant and is totally appreciated, I only drove the XRR since putting your sounds on , and am thankfull you took the time to do it, which is 10 million times more sexy then the reworked sounds from the devs

Just to point out, Dave's sound pack would never have been possible without the new sound system in patch V. Sure, Scawen didn't come up with the best samples for it to use, which is what Dave has altered. Essentially though, the whole dynamics of the sound engine is still Scawen's work. So grats to both, really.
Quote from Bob Smith :Just to point out, Dave's sound pack would never have been possible without the new sound system in patch V.

And to also point out, Scawen is harnessing the talents in the community:
Quote from Scawen :Here is a new fully compatible Test Patch, V2.
[...]
New PACK button in sound editor to load a sound pack

To me, this means that Scawen has recognised the quality of Dave's sound packs, and has added a feature that makes it easier to use them.
Quote from seinfeld :...thats where all this language comes from is my passion for this game that has the potential to be the best

No, that outburst comes from a tiny little brain driven by immature attitudes. Do you cry and bitch and hurl abuse every time you want something in life? What a sook. I'm not looking forward to your future behaviour on these forums, once puberty kicks in the brat factor will only increase.

Nobody is going to take your suggestions seriously after this tirade.
Quote from DaveWS :Basically what I'm asking, is if anyone is willing to try them all out, and tell me if any of them are an improvement.

I think:
* 12 is best on XRT
* 5/23 best on GTRs (I'm using 5)

didn't test other cars...
I just got this sound pack a couple of days ago, and wow! World of difference, it really is an awesome compilation.

One small unfortunate side-effect I believe. I was on a full 23 car server yesterday stcc on south city. The TBOs were the last cars I switched over to your soundpack. They sounded awesome, but I really noticed an noticable decrease in fps with the new sounds when the full pack is around, down about 5-15fps from 45 down to 30-35. I believe this is due to the new sound pack.

Are the new sounds more complex for lfs to create? It only seemed to bog down with the new sounds at max fields when everyone is really close at the start. Rest of the time I'm at my max 60fps.

My rig is in the sig, but I'm running integrated sound off of an Asus A8n-Sli Premium Motherboard.

I think a soundcard upgrade might be in my forseeable future.

Anyone else experience this? Love your pack!
Should'nt make any difference at all; since the sound engine is obviously still the same. It cannot be "more complex" to make the new sounds, it's just using a different firing sample and different settings within the current method of creation. Something else must be up!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Should'nt make any difference at all; since the sound engine is obviously still the same. It cannot be "more complex" to make the new sounds, it's just using a different firing sample and different settings within the current method of creation. Something else must be up!

Bummer. I hadn't really experienced that much of a slowdown before.

I was just throwing it out there, as I wasn't sure if there was more elements taken into consideration for the new sounds than stock ones.

I think my X850XT must be straining then. Obviously some slow-down due to CPU limitations, 2.6GHz x2 AMD, but probabaly a good bit due to 1680x1050 with full AA and AF.

I'm aiming to get a 8800gts/R600 equivilant in a couple of months. I doubt it will pull any miracles, but full 16x AA and 16x AF should look impressive, and any extra fps are always appreciated. Maybe it'l stay above 40fps with that and a x-fi soundblaster...

Thanks for the thoughts.
TEST PATCH V5 includes my sounds as default, with further updates. If you want to use the new default sounds you have to download Test Patch V5, click the "PACK" button in the shift-a editor, and type "default".
Quote from DaveWS :TEST PATCH V3 includes my sounds as default, with further updates. If you want to use the new default sounds you have to download Test Patch V3, click the "PACK" button in the shift-a editor, and type "default".

Beauteous. What did you change in this update?

Must be quite an honor to have your work included in a test patch! Way to go man!
@BBT: Yeah it is.

List of changes:

- New gearwhine (now without any copyright issues)
- New gear shifts, and different for road and race cars (now without any copyright issues)
- New RAC sound, based on real video of RAC
- Updated FOX
- Updated FZ5
- Increased throttle off volume
- Other small changes

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG