The online racing simulator
Yeah, i don't know if anyone agrees with me, but if the standard on all cars were to be as high as DaveWS' sounds on the FO8 and the BF1, it would be perfect!

I know my laptop is crap, but i didn't know to what degree before just now, when i tried the sounds out.. In comparison to my stationary, it was bullcrap, to say the least! But on my stationary, the FO8 and BF1 are just about perfection!
These sounds are top quality. A1 work DaveWS. Every car has major improvements with very minimal clipping. Sounds like I'm at a real race track now instead of a vacuumm cleaner factory.

XRT LX6 UFR FZ5 FO8 sounds are quite amazing.

Whats your secret? Do you put petrol on your breakfast cereal?

But seriously,
* How long did all this take you to do?
* What did you use for samples?
* Which car took the most work?
Some notes:
* XRT sound seems a bit strange, especially at the back of the car. That high-pitched "rgrgrgrgrrrrr" doesn't sound like real 2 L (I may be wrong, but it seems so to me)

* BF1 is a great improvement. Now it is a real screaming engine, not a coffee grinder. But still it lacks something, like it is partially muted, few echoes - like in a good sound-recording studio. I think partially it is the game sound engine to improve. A loud sound reflects a lot and is heard with many echoes (the extreme example is thunderstorm)

* LX6 seems too loud. IMO, it has a large exhaust silencer not invane.
As different people have different tastes, for the next release i'll probably give some more different sounds for the same car. For example some people like the LX6, some don't. So if I include a silenced version in the next release....

Edit: Yes of course there are always going to be faults with the sounds, but it is not easy with the current sound engine.
Quote from JasonJ :These sounds are top quality. A1 work DaveWS. Every car has major improvements with very minimal clipping. Sounds like I'm at a real race track now instead of a vacuumm cleaner factory.

XRT LX6 UFR FZ5 FO8 sounds are quite amazing.

Whats your secret? Do you put petrol on your breakfast cereal?

But seriously,
* How long did all this take you to do?
* What did you use for samples?
* Which car took the most work?

*Well I have been messing around with them since the sound editor was discovered.

*I looked on google for some gunshot sounds which I then edited in Goldwave (sped them up a bit, and shortened them).

*I've spent the most time on the FZR, XRT, and LX6.
In your testing of samples, did you by any chance do a direct comparison between them?

i.e. have, say, 5 samples and try them in the editor using the same values, to see how the pitch and (insert sound stuff here to make me sound clever) affects it.

I'm just wondering if a really deep (low pitched, but high volume) sample on the BF1 will improve that, or if a higher pitched sound would work better in the MRT (haven't actually tried the MRT with this, so it might be perfect for all I know).

It's not critisism, I'm just wondering what your working method was, how much experimentation went into it, and what sort of understanding you now have on how the samples and sliders work together.

I'll be using this sound pack until you (or someone else perhaps) releases a whole new pack. I'm not interested in using lone files that will be of a very different style or, worse, ricery. So keep it up!

By the way, I still dislike the gear change sound (which I don't think you've played with judging by my limited testing), so is there any chance of making it sound a bit more like a gear change - something mechanical and clonky on the race cars perhaps. But again, I don't know how limited you are with the sample importer...
I liked XRG XFG RAC UFR XFR MRT FXR XRR FZ5 sounds and I loved LX4 LX6

No sound clipping from here

For the rest cars I prefer mine
Quote from tristancliffe :In your testing of samples, did you by any chance do a direct comparison between them?

i.e. have, say, 5 samples and try them in the editor using the same values, to see how the pitch and (insert sound stuff here to make me sound clever) affects it.

I'm just wondering if a really deep (low pitched, but high volume) sample on the BF1 will improve that, or if a higher pitched sound would work better in the MRT (haven't actually tried the MRT with this, so it might be perfect for all I know).

It's not critisism, I'm just wondering what your working method was, how much experimentation went into it, and what sort of understanding you now have on how the samples and sliders work together.

I'll be using this sound pack until you (or someone else perhaps) releases a whole new pack. I'm not interested in using lone files that will be of a very different style or, worse, ricery. So keep it up!

By the way, I still dislike the gear change sound (which I don't think you've played with judging by my limited testing), so is there any chance of making it sound a bit more like a gear change - something mechanical and clonky on the race cars perhaps. But again, I don't know how limited you are with the sample importer...

Yeah, I played around with loads samples for ages, just trying to see what difference they make to the sound produced. In the end it seems that only very short, high frequency bangs (almost a click), give the best results. I tried lower frequency samples, but they just produced more of a horrible synthetic humming noise, rather than an engine sound. But the default sample is very limited to what sounds you can produce which actually sound good.

Oh, and I actually tried to mix a bassy sample with a high frequency one, thinking I could have best of both worlds. But this caused horrible distortions and muffled grinding sounds to the produced sound. So

As for the gear change sample, I am limited by file size, and as most gear change samples are much longer, it doesn't sound right. But I will have another play with it later.
Fantastic! I didn't lower the sounds as much as you suggested, simply because I like em louder. I can't audibly hear any clipping, so it's fine for me. I might turn up my tire noise a little, though.

Absolutely fantastic sounds! The XRR has a lot of life to it, and the FZR sounds like I would expect it to. The FOX sounds brilliant, particularily on downshifts. I love that tranny whine, reminds me of the Star Mazdas (they sounded so neat blasting around turn 2 at Mosport! ).

If I could make one request though? Could you do a version of the FXR with a much.. throatier sound? Something a little deeper and louder, with a little more rasp and grumble to it. I get that impression from looking at this car, it's just so intimidating to behold, it needs a sound to accompany it. I'm going to give my other favorite vehicles a spin later on and see how they are; I expect they'll be just as impressive as the ones I've tried so far!

Again, stupendous work.
-
(detail) DELETED by detail : found the answer
Ok I'm currently uploading the second version of the pack (hopefully the final one) to filefront.

Millions of small tweaks, which most of you won't even notice , as well as new gear change sounds for most cars. I have also added some extra sounds which are optional based on your own taste, and because of the feedback in this thread (for example the FZ5 now has a lower frequency .eng file included if you don't like the standard one).

Edit: Go to the first post in this thread for the V3 soundpack
Download Mirror - updated for V3

Edit: Having spent the last hour playing with this pack, the differences are tiny compared to the first. I noticed the XFG has a little more low grunt for instance, but on many cars all I could tell different was the gearchange. I see you adjusted the FOX similiarly to I did.
Yeah, I did say most probably wouldn't notice. I also played around with the LX4 a lot, don't know if you noticed that. Erm, and yeah did you see the extra files? Like the more manly FZ5?

I also adjusted the GTR engines a Tiny bit, and the turbo cars have slightly edited Turbo and BOV samples.
Yeah I don't know what to make of the FZ5 / FZR alternates, they sound good at low rpm but just lose their edge and go soft for all the rpm actually used in racing. So I'm not sure what to pick.

And yeah forgot to mention the new LX4, I can probably use that instead of my own one now. Got some depth back to it, and sounds quite different to the LX6 now which is a plus, helps differentiate between the two, unique character and so on.

The silenced LX6 I prefer too, it doesn't sound as great, just more appropriate for the car.
Thank you for these fantastic sounds...really brought the sim to life imo
Great work DaveWS, I'm really liking your sounds. They make me feel like I'm driving a race car

One thing though, the MRT sounds a little too "meaty" to me.
Quote from Peptis :One thing though, the MRT sounds a little too "meaty" to me.

Ever heard a turbocharged CBR600 engine before? Unturbocharged they sound very nice (not quite a Ducati or an Aprilia though), but with the addition of a turbo and a lower rev limit they can sound pretty 'meaty'
Wow. And I only tested the lx6 so far... a gear whine! The thing people (fanboys) said wasn't needed for ages! This is brilliant
DaweSW for president !
+1 with the sounds bro ...was wonderin if I(or whoever wants to) could use them without doing all the /edit things. ...like permanently
-PeArSoN
Yeah, just replace all the CAR_default.eng files and LFS will use them automatically. Of course that involes plenty of renaming and typing but someone could write a batch script to do all that for you.
So I will admit I am a bit of a boffin insofar as sound is concerned...I downloaded your pack, and spent about 10 minutes with each car on FB Green to see what I thought.

Perfect.

Only adjusted gear whine because for me, I have super sensitive ears and ANY gear whine is torture; you have it right for every car.

Thank you very much, sir!
I love these sounds Dave, I am pretty convinced they are the best I've heard so far :up:

Only cars I don't like are the RB4 and the BF1. RB4 is of course a boxer engine I think? And it doesn't sound like one to me. A bit whiney. RB4 should be sounding a lot like the muffled howl of XRT or something (the deep one you made). BF1 never sounds good, but this is still a good attempt. It's a given that the BF1 is poop anyways.

Loving the sound of my favorite car, the FO8... it just screams... its always the way I've wanted it to sound
+1 great job!
Brilliant!

Especially love the XFR now! For fun, I sent 5 XFR AI's around Blackwood- it is aural bliss hearing those engines roaring away in unison!
Great sound pack. Nice work. Thanks a lot

Another Full Soundpack (updated for 0.5V2)
(177 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG