The online racing simulator
Quote from Bob Smith :MillerM - weird, I've got B&Ws too (never tested on anything else) and the new sounds seem much less muffled and more like an engine to me. Must just be a personal preference thing.

It's really strange because on the pc speakers DaveWS's sounds make the engines sound like engines. But on my hifi they give them a more synthesized sound.

So actually the complete opposite. I totally don't understand it.
Probably to do with the distortion created by the tinny PC speakers (a low cost add-on effect!).
Great sounds. Big thanks to Dave.
i have some machines with a 2.1 b&w setup and SB Xfi, i'll try the new soundpack then i'll post some comments... i'm only worried about clipping, cause there is no preamp, the preamp stage is being controlled by the soundcard mixer, it goes directly to the amp then back to the speakers. i'll post as soon as i get some results.

BTW: how does this soundpack compares to the CSR by yamakawa, stepping aside all the clipping and scratches that are caused by integrated soundcards (with SB's even with the live value there are no clicks with CSR, and with onbard audio it's unbeareable)
Quote from DarwinAce :i have some machines with a 2.1 b&w setup and SB Xfi, i'll try the new soundpack then i'll post some comments... i'm only worried about clipping, cause there is no preamp, the preamp stage is being controlled by the soundcard mixer, it goes directly to the amp then back to the speakers. i'll post as soon as i get some results.

BTW: how does this soundpack compares to the CSR by yamakawa, stepping aside all the clipping and scratches that are caused by integrated soundcards (with SB's even with the live value there are no clicks with CSR, and with onbard audio it's unbeareable)

Well if you want to make sure of no clipping, I suggest you set the car volume at 2.

And for CSR, well it can sound nice, but it's only for show IMO and can't really tell you what the car is doing. I haven't used CSR for a while now.

EDIT: Oh, I thought I'd add, I am sure the sounds could be improved further, but it is a very time consuming task, and I don't want to spend anymore time on them as Scawen may make some changes again to the sound engine in the (near?) future. When he has done this, I will probably have another fiddle (if they need it).
Sorry for the "bump" but I just have to thank you. The difference is total!
/me pokes the devs - listen and learn.
it sounds great... although i'm still used to the CSR sounds with the FOX, using engine volume 5 it was ok.. using 60% master volume and 50% wave volume with the soundcard, a lot more agressive. a lot better than the original ones...

as i was testing the sounds and playing around with the new engine editor, i came up with an idea that could rise the simulation level to another step.

i have a closed cockpit, it's a capsule with a 2.1 B&W setup, a car seat, steering wheel and lcd screen, and while driving im my car i realised, the engine sound doesn't come from the front, as in my speaker setup inside the cockpit... where the front speakers are placed at eye level, 80cm from your head, the sound comes from all around you, you can hear the engine whine in the front and below, then you can feel the exhaust pipe below you, and finally, the louder sound comes from the rear (unless you have problems with yer car )

i think the feeling the sound is half the experience of a racing car... if you don't think so, try running a track with a real car muffled, and then try it again with the same car with open exhaust... even if it might be almost the same, you'll feel that the car is alive in someway.

i placed some sheets to cover the speakers and raised the volume a bit and it helped... hearing the car was more natural like in the interior of a real car... i'll try placing the front spekers in the rear side of the screen, and then i thought...

it would be great to have 2 or 3 different channels for the sound in LFS... the engine sound channel, exhaust pipe and rear exhaust...

how?... almost everyone now has access to 5.1 channel audio..
engine sound and turbo for the front channel, exhaust pipe for the center channel(wich you'll place under your seat), and rear exhaust for the rear channel (wich you'll place facing backwards, like a real car), i really don't know how scawen makes the sound engine, but seeing that you can mute some of the aspects of the sound... maybe he can do something to redirect those sounds to different channels in a multichannel setup...

i think it would be nice..

BTW... great sounds... specially for spectator mode, the FOX sounds for the spectator were really depressive.

that's the cockpit... the rear panel slides and you are completely and officialy disconnected from the real world... the helmet is a project in development... i don't really like to have realtime lap info and position and stuff real drivers don't have... with that helmet, equipped with headphones and mic, you can request status to a team mate outside the cockpit, ask for pit assistance (changing the settings for the pitstop), ask who the hell is up front you, and all those things. also it has the TrackIR clip in the forehead, but i think that TrackIR needs some development with LFS.
Thanks for proving those licenses DarwinAce, although tbh I didn't need convincing. I've removed those posts, and the discussion around them. Not need here.
What a nice work! I know what i'm doing the whole night now
Thank you for your work !
#85 - Nard
Next step in the sound system would be to have certain sound values kept in your player setup, so cars would have slightly different sounds on the track. Put that in and wow, LFS has another first in the sim world, no?
Sounds pretty nice! Great work! An absolute improvement. Thank you
great work on the sounds how much longer till a pack is released with fixed engine sounds so there is no clipping?
-
(DaveWS) DELETED by DaveWS
#89 - ste_
Quote from DaveWS :The newest pack, V3, is done!

It includes:
- Sound improvements to virtually every car
- Much improved TBO class sounds (deeper growling engine tone)
- Improved IMO BF1 sound
- Clipping issues, and volume issues fixed for Test Patch V2

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

Brutal man! Sounds great!
#90 - Davo
Cheers for the update.
thx alot things like this make the wait for lfs patches a bit less painfull
Great man.
THX!
On the whole, it's nice Dave. I've only tried about a third of the cars but got the general feel, mostly subtly changes from before, and no more having to adjust volumes to stop the clipping. Except on BF1, which IMO you've ruined, has a horrible secondary noise from all that clipping, can be heard clear as day, overall gives a very harsh sounding noise, nothing like the beautiful whine of an F1 that you got pretty close to before (given the limitations of the system).
I know I know. God dammit. I was working on a new BF1 sound called BF1_DaveWS_2.eng, which was the new sound to go in the pack. Instead I put the BF1_DaveWS.eng (the old BF1 sound). So I've cocked it up again LOL.
Too late too late! Arrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhh................!

Ok if you go to the first post in this thread, use the Filefront link (the first one) to download the latest soundpack with the proper bloody BF1 in it. I did this the first time as well. No organisation.
Thanks Dave,
Awesome work there, sounds 10 times better than the original sounds (no offence to the Dev's)

Gets a big from me
Cheers
#98 - REDi
excellent work Dave

thanks to scawen for the easy to use interface shift A.
well i was racing and went to pit the car and press shift A by accident lol

great work chaps!!
THX DAVE...

Mirror LINK in your Massage Box! (link by n!faculty.racing)
Quote from DaveWS :I know I know. God dammit. I was working on a new BF1 sound called BF1_DaveWS_2.eng, which was the new sound to go in the pack. Instead I put the BF1_DaveWS.eng (the old BF1 sound). So I've cocked it up again LOL.

Then I take it all back. My mirror is updated, now to try it out.

Edit: BF1 sounds much better now, a bit weird at low revs, un-engine like, but the top end (the important bit) is good.

Another Full Soundpack (updated for 0.5V2)
(177 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG