The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think about the new sounds?

Closed since :
Definitely an improvement, a step to right direction.
No big difference, some cars are better, some worse.
I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache!
OMG, I started to like S1 sounds...
Wow, they are better than in real life!
The overall sound engine seems to be a step a step to right direction but the result isn’t that good…

Is there any way to separate the sources of the sound?

eg. engine sound from the hood , muffler sound from the back of the car

Its annoying that the sound seems to appear in the upper middle of my head (when wearing headset)

Sorry if it has been mentioned many times before
Quote from pie :I think that would be way to CPU intensive to calculate in realtime.

With Today's CPU's? I doubt it. I'm getting 200 FPS with all settings maxed out- I doubt one more sound reverb affect is going to crush my PC (or anyone else's). I mean it doesn't slow down when you go under a bridge and you hear that echo-reverb affect.

Anyway.. I hope it is something that they at least experiment with on their own and see what happens. Maybe it will add some life to the in-car sounds?
I've liked all the sounds so far really except from the XFG. I've tried out majority of the cars too(except the RB4,FOX and F08).

Its definetaly a step in the right direction. The BF1 I actually like how high pitched it sounds. For some reason it makes me feel more like im in the car rather than behind this cheap tacky mouse/wheel(whichever im using). Although I do have my volume on fairly high so that may just explain it.

Good work so far team, just a small hop, skip and jump to go I feel until the sounds are
Quote from BWX232 :With Today's CPU's? I doubt it. I'm getting 200 FPS with all settings maxed out- I doubt one more sound reverb affect is going to crush my PC (or anyone else's). I mean it doesn't slow down when you go under a bridge and you hear that echo-reverb affect.

Anyway.. I hope it is something that they at least experiment with on their own and see what happens. Maybe it will add some life to the in-car sounds?

It may have a completely different and far worse effect though. It may produce lag in the audio latency of the mixing drivers, causing constant clicking and hopping in the sound playback. Of course this depends on the driver model used by LFS. I suspect the old Vista sound playback problems were also caused by this phenomenon, but I can't be sure.

I still want these effects, though.
#155 - pie
@BWX232

Well, you have a point... CPU's are fast nowadays (mine will be upgraded big-time today!)
But
making a *good* reverb effect is still quite CPU intensive. The current effect implemented is rather delay than reverb wich is a much simpler effect to create.
Don't forget that with audio programming, every line of the algorithm code will need to be calculated 44100 times every second!

I don't think reverb will make it sound much better. It does not change the actual engine sound. I think a sample (wav) based engine sound will give the best possible results.

Ok, nuff said...
Well sounds bounce around inside a real car.. so.. they might try to simulate that and just see what happens.
imo, patch V sounds like when I step on my cat on accident
They seem to be much more realistic than before.
just wanted to say here that the new sounds are amazingly good on my notebook's speakers (however)... much much much better than with my headset...
(I guess because the notebook speakers have almost no bass)

The turbo is really annoying in most cockpit views, though
Great Work!

Sounds good for me!

...and the best is! it still becomes better! (in future!)
Quote from Jonas8431 :I like all ones

check this out, that sound is the most real of the world... LOL, its a pit stop of F1 car CLICK HERE

if someone can make a better sound with their nose where the hell is lfs going seriously illepall
I voted the "I prefer the old version, these muffled sounds give me headache! "

But the rest improvements of the V patch are very nice and definatelly many steps forward.
I agree with PIE - the BF1 sounds are truly awful. F1 engines do not sound like coffee grinders. I actually have to turn the sound down to near zero because it detracts from the game.

I too agree that Scawen is a god, and will have this sorted soon

I do start to feel that there may have to be a total rethink of the sound engine though to get this right. I hope I'm wrong !
Quote from mr.spock :I agree with PIE - the BF1 sounds are truly awful. F1 engines do not sound like coffee grinders. I actually have to turn the sound down to near zero because it detracts from the game.

I too agree that Scawen is a god, and will have this sorted soon

I do start to feel that there may have to be a total rethink of the sound engine though to get this right. I hope I'm wrong !

take a look at forza motorsoprts REAL ENGINE SOUNDS
thats all that needs to be said really
Can someone plz give me the link that explains why we made this transition to the sound sustem (the technical reason)?

There are so many threads about the "sound" matter that I can't it find via the search option.
But i remember that there was a relevant thread or group of posts.
I'd realy like the "use old sounds" to be available in the options. Patch V is ok becouse of all the fixes, but i pesonally don't like the new sounds.
Quote from KMSpeed :Can someone plz give me the link that explains why we made this transition to the sound sustem (the technical reason)?

I can't give you a specific link, but if you look in the test patch section you'll find plenty of info. Part of the reason for the change was a fix for Vista (the old sound engine doesn't work properly on that crappy OS). Another part of the change was so that Scawen could add new things like transmission and rear end noise as well as fiddling with the sounds a bit as he works towards more realism. I'm sure that before too long we'll get more changes to the engine noise, changes to the tranny and rear end noise, undercarriage noise, etc. Scawen has said repeatedly that Patch V is just a short pit stop on the road towards a much fuller and more realistic sound system.
Thx a lot Cue-Ball.
Quote from pie :If Scawen is ever going to reconsider the whole sound engine, i'd vote for a sample based (wav) engine. Just like most other games do... it isn't for nothing that virtually all games use this technique. It probably would be lighter on CPU too then calculating the sound in realtime.

I would be very concerned that changing the system to a sample based system would ruin the great feel you get from the system as it is now!

I'd rather have mediocre sounds that communicate what the car is doing than brilliant sounds that don't help your driving any day!!
too heavy on the cpu FFS, at present a p2 can run this game, the average person has now a sempron 2 ghz cpu, lets beef this baby (game)up
graphics sound wise its so 80's now
i voted i perffered the older sounds. i really didn't feel it was a step in the right direction.

lfs sound has always been generated on the fly from in game numbers.
lfs it seemed to use:

RPM
Engine size (liter)
engine type
Throttle position
cynlinders
amount of power gernerated

am sure he used a filter to generate the mufler sound.

with that sound engine the way sounds sound is fantastic but how the sound sounds is not so good compared to some sampled sounds... actually quite a few.

1.3d sound

2.use of EAX extensions
thease extensions would work wonders on lfs, if u have a good understandment of how sound works you know the improvements that can be made. Eg when something moves further away from you the higher frequencies get drowned out; frequecies get drowned out moving through air yadaydda all this can be simmulated on sound cards today

3. i see a substancial improvement if lfs used a little more varaibles

RPM
Engine size (liter)
stroke
bore

engine type
Throttle position
cynlinders
compresion
valves
number of valves per cylinder
camshafts
exhaust diameter
turbo size

also it could be just me but lfs seems to lack dynamic range when it comes to loadness cars just don't seem alive at 9000rpm(xrt)
Quote from Vilante 11 :I would be very concerned that changing the system to a sample based system would ruin the great feel you get from the system as it is now!

I'd rather have mediocre sounds that communicate what the car is doing than brilliant sounds that don't help your driving any day!!

A sample overlay from CSR has only made me faster, if anything...
Quote from Vilante 11 :I would be very concerned that changing the system to a sample based system would ruin the great feel you get from the system as it is now!

Quote from lalathegreat :1.3d sound

2.use of EAX extensions
thease extensions would work wonders on lfs, if u have a good understandment of how sound works you know the improvements that can be made. Eg when something moves further away from you the higher frequencies get drowned out; frequecies get drowned out moving through air yadaydda all this can be simmulated on sound cards today

3. i see a substancial improvement if lfs used a little more varaibles

While I agree with you on these points, the sad fact is that wishing for them doesn't do any good. 3D sound, EAX support, more varied sounds, more accurate sounds, etc. all have to be programmed by someone. In the case of LFS that someone is Scawen. As much as we all want better sound we also want about eleventy billion other things as well. There's only 24 hours in a day and we can't expect everything all at once. The new sounds have been very controversial and Scawen knows that they still need work. I fully expect that after his holiday break the sounds will be the first thing he works on since there have been so many comments about them. However; I definitely wouldn't expect to see 3D sound or EAX support in S2. That would require an entire rewrite of the sound code and while it would definitely be nice to have, it's certainly not a necessity. Better engine, transmission, and ambient sounds can go a long, long way towards satisfying everyone. Heck, GTR2 doesn't have 3D sound, 5.1 support, etc. and everyone raves about how great it sounds (even though it's not nearly as communicative as LFS).
Quote from Blowtus :A sample overlay from CSR has only made me faster, if anything...

Jeebus, you're too bloody fast as is

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG