The online racing simulator
Quote from xaotik :If in IRL you mean on a TV broadcast or an incar video then yes, very likely you would have clipping, although nowadays it seems that limiters are usually applied.

Actually no. Compression would actually have the opposite effect of what you describe - it would make the volume seem louder without causing clipping. Using compression as a limiter is generally a good idea, getting it to properly compress the sound and give priority to certain frequencies is a different story.

Clipping is just distortion, unecessary and very annoying in the digital medium. If you want loud sound that will cause your ears to bleed and your neighbors to scream then just get a bigger soundsystem and crank it up. Personally I wouldn't want to listen to distortion when playing on large speakers - it would just be loud distortion while it should be loud sound. Causing clipping on purpose to make it "sound loud" when played at lower volume is surely not the way to go.

Totally agree.

I would like LFS to have some kind of compression to prevent clipping. However it is something that would take a lot of time to implement correctly and it's not that important issue.

I must also say, I'm very impressed with how the sound engine has been improved so much in just a few days. It's really come such a long way and I think I can honestly say LFS has the best sounds of any racing sim now. A week or two ago I would have said it had the worst!
Is anyone else loving the sound of the LX4 as much as me? Sure its still a little muffled, but i've literally been smashing it round AS Cadet rev for the last hour or so and i'm loving it
Yes, it actually screams when it is revving at 7000rpm it sounds SO SWEET! In addition, the FZ5 actually sounds like a Porsche!
Quote from GFresh :Is anyone else loving the sound of the LX4 as much as me? Sure its still a little muffled, but i've literally been smashing it round AS Cadet rev for the last hour or so and i'm loving it

Yep, it sounds great, i practice with it these days for our upcoming OPS race, and it sounds absolutely great! Also drove the XFR yesterday, and it's awesome too!
But also those sounds when you go near another car, i have to say it again, it's amazing! so immersive!
Way to go Scawen!
I must inquire - Why do the FXO / FXR not sound like flat fours very much anymore?

Used to be instantly recognizable; now not so much..... When testing the FXR I actually though I selected the wrong car!
U36 is SO MUCH BETTER... that really bad droning sound is diminished quite a bit.

I started testing and noticed something.. something I already knew... but when you hear it, the difference is amazing.

I was testing the UF -
When inside the car revving the engine in neutral:

It sounds better than it did, but still lacks a whole lot of upper range sound because of the fact that it is actually simulating the inside of a car.. The engine sounds kind of flat.. kind of electronic even.. A little synthetic sounding.

Now, (I am in the "custom view")- I move just to the outside of the car and do the exact same thing, rev the car a little.. even drive it around the track...

What do I hear now? I hear a living breathing engine.. I can hear all the valves slapping against springs, the rotating cams- etc, etc.. It just sounds like an engine to me. All the upper range sound is still hard to hear, but it is audible and it blends in with those lower pitched sounds- and magically it sounds like an engine instead of something synthetic and electronically generated. Along with that I can hear the tires on the road, the slightest "scrubbing" of the tires, etc.. I STILL think it could use less mid-bass and more deep bass overall to fill out my subwoofer better, but still, to me it sounds better that when you are inside the car.

Maybe there could be an option to "fake" what it sounds like outside the car while you are inside it? Or maybe just don't cut out the engine sounds quite as much (or have an option to set it like that)?

It seems like all that thin metal on a car like that would resonate the engine sounds more than dampen them anyway. When you can hear it, that engine sound really sounds cool, you can almost see the engine in your head because it sounds so realistic, but as soon as your POV moves behind the firewall.. it all goes away. At least on my sound card/speakers. EDIT_ THIS SI WITH A FLATTENED OUT EQ.. not the crazy curve I had before.

Try it with the UF.. It's quite a big difference when you poke your head out the window. I can see where these sounds are going though, what an improvement from just 2 days ago.
Ok., now it shoud stop for the rest of the year. Give this man and his family a break.Scaven : Release what ever you think you should release and give us also a break pleeeeeeease .
The newest patch sounds are very promising..based on the demo cars anyway, out of unlocks But based on them, I think the CSR mod might have a lot less users shortly.
Quote from Rtsbasic :The newest patch sounds are very promising..based on the demo cars anyway, out of unlocks But based on them, I think the CSR mod might have a lot less users shortly.

I stoped using CSR It's a great mod, but it gave me headaches when mixed with LFS sounds... and with these new sounds Scawen created, there is no more need for CSR..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I stoped using CSR It's a great mod, but it gave me headaches when mixed with LFS sounds... and with these new sounds Scawen created, there is no more need for CSR..

Yeah! :lfs:
I updated to U36and there was no dialogue asking for restart (a progress bar was new).

Also why is the "Download now" button there? When I click on it I am asked to choose a mirror and then I don't need the button either.

I like the new sounds.
Some people have asked that question before... including myself the first time, but I think if you omit that button from the interface people would come to the forum asking "where is the xxx button to download? there are some http addresses but no button or whatsover to download ..." So for me it works as an "informative" button that I've only pressed the first time. Correct me if im wrong...
The restart_lfs thing is only updated AFTER the patch, so you will only notice it next patch.
Seems like U36 is sounding great from most of the post so far, I just downloaded at the last second before I've gone to work (LFS still on!), can't wait till I get home tonight to test it out!
Quote from KiDCoDEa :he didnt say it was a natural phenomenon. he and i said it would happen irl also. not everything that happens irl is natural. ill skip the fag joke here.
what currently compresses (and abnormally at that) is lfs. so scared it is of clipping. thats part of why it sounds tiny. bee scale tiny.
as far as clipping being a digital phenomenon... maybe this will help reconsider
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

ears dont clip if you overstress ears you dont end up hearing limitation noise you end up not hearing anything at all in the long run ... no audio equipment i know of gets anywhere near the dynamic range ears can handle
Quote from jamvib :Some people have asked that question before... including myself the first time, but I think if you omit that button from the interface people would come to the forum asking "where is the xxx button to download? there are some http addresses but no button or whatsover to download ..." So for me it works as an "informative" button that I've only pressed the first time. Correct me if im wrong...

Quote from axus :The restart_lfs thing is only updated AFTER the patch, so you will only notice it next patch.

I see. Thanks!
Sounds seem definately improved. Gearwhine and gearshift are great additions.
I think the volume of the other cars is too low - startline with the fo8 or similar should be a cacophony of noise, currently the other cars are only just audible.
the lx4 has a muffled sound that is annoying to my ears. The engine noises still severely lack the 'character' of a normal engine at high revs.
I'll still be using csr at this point.
Quote from Blowtus :The engine noises still severely lack the 'character' of a normal engine at high revs.
I'll still be using csr at this point.

Engines definatelly has to scream more at high revs, that's for sure, but it is great for now, i am totally satisfied and impressed...
This Test Patch Offensive is going very good Scawen. No Problems at all, the Sound is overall alot better and I do think the tyres Sound volume is better than before, I think it was too loud before. I would also like to think that Wind noises are supposed to be louder.

I dont know if this can be added in the short term of the Test Patch Paths, but seeing as the function already exists it might not be too much of coding added an uneducated guess would say. I'm talking about the Zoom function in the Replay Mode when viewing in TV view, with the CTRL + Arrow keys it is possible to zoom, but the amount of zooming out is very small.
It would be nice to see the Track aswell in the Replay Mode, and not the car in a total view, so I would like to Zoom out more than it is currently possible with the CTRL-Arrow Keys command. Perhaps this could be added to the Test Patches along the way
Quote from Shotglass : no audio equipment i know of gets anywhere near the dynamic range ears can handle

Not sure what you mean, Shotglass. The range of a human's hearing is from somewhere around 7 Hz to 20 Khz, which is a fairly small frequency range. For example, dogs can hear up to 40K or 50Khz ( they heard you downloading the new engine whine patch ).
I believe bats might be double that.
Scawen, a slight problem I have with U35 is when I switch cameras from incar to external, I get a loud click during the switch.
Apparently a result from different wave phases.
Quote from Flycantbird :Not sure what you mean, Shotglass. The range of a human's hearing is from somewhere around 7 Hz to 20 Khz, which is a fairly small frequency range. For example, dogs can hear up to 40K or 50Khz ( they heard you downloading the new engine whine patch ).
I believe bats might be double that.

Dynamic range is not frequency range. He means the "range of volumes"...

Although I would argue about the low end you quoted, (7Hz), since most literature describes 20Hz... I definitely know I / we can perceive sounds much lower; although it doesn't sound like a tone - more like flapping air .. Most adults also cannot hear up to 20,000 very well at all.
i get clicks when there are alot of AI's (i guess it could be alot of any car) just about 5 or more cars, all flooring the gas when viewing from outside

also, this is more of a suggestion of sound, but i think the GTR class cars sound too similar (which, the GTRs were what i tested with the AIs with the clicking problem)
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Dynamic range is not frequency range. He means the "range of volumes"...

Although I would argue about the low end you quoted, (7Hz), since most literature describes 20Hz... I definitely know I / we can perceive sounds much lower; although it doesn't sound like a tone - more like flapping air .. Most adults also cannot hear up to 20,000 very well at all.

Part 1, I stand corrected

Part 2, Yea, I have heard reports of 7 hz being the lowest demonstrated human frequency detected. Though I never hear them, I make many sounds lower than 20 hz during the course of the day however, with my subsonic weaponry. lol.

I doubt that I've heard up to 20K since I was 3 years old. Definatly not since I was 10, when I discoved that ROCK MUSIC should be played FAR TOO LOUDLY.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch U35 (obsolete)
(382 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG