The online racing simulator
Quote from Blackout :Where have you been funnybear, haven't seen you post here in long time!

No internet access, no computer, no LFS'ing. Still not on too a regular thing but it's getting there. So I'm poking my nose around and seeing whats up.

So . . .

Wassup?
Turn M at Fern Bay. Should be Grand Hotel not Signal box.
Another thing: When I'm trying to browse the corner names I need to manually refresh the current site to see if some corner has got new names.
It looks like there are votes going to the worst names :/. Why would we want BL1 T1 to be "Banalot"..? Can people please pick the decent names?
If the community wants it . . . thats what the community wants. And anyway, although extremely well done, the site isn't exactly official is it. One thing though, prehaps the list of names could be a bit longer, just seeing the top five doesn't leave much scope for a quick vote.
By the way, i keep getting the following error. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.
Attached images
error.jpg
Quote from joshdifabio :By the way, i keep getting the following error. I'm using the latest version of Firefox.

Yes I've already noted that one, but since I suck at editing MySQL databases we'll have to wait for lur to wake up
Sorry, just after i posted that i noticed the "&" thing in there :S.
Quote from GianniC :Oh btw, minor thingy:
http://sccabco.free.fr/up/errrrr.JPG

Which browser made that happen? :sorry:

Quote from duke_toaster :Any chance of an edit button? I accidentally put the wrong name on the wrong corner.

It'll be a delete/undo button, you'll be able to "undo" a suggestion before it's been voted on.

Quote from felplacerad :Edit: Encountered a little bug where "&" is used in the suggestion. This has been noted.

And fixed, hopefully.

It's looking pretty good so far, current suggestions-per-user ratio is amazing and there's some really good ones already.
#35 - col
Nice work - if we have to decide on names artificially, then this is as good a way as any...

One thing I've noticed is that some of the folks suggesting names are obviously not thinking about how these names will sound in usage.

The only point in having names for corners is so that its easier to discuss them... unfortunately too many suggestions are long multiword phrases...
think how your suggested name would sound in some possible sentences such as:

I lost the rear coming out of XXXX
wtf, you took me out just before the XXXX apex
If I get a good second sector, I always lose it in XXXX
XXXX gets me every time
you're losing time in XXXX and XXXX... try braking earlier for XXXX and dont mash the throttle so soon at the XXXX exit.

etc. etc.

Col
-
(felplacerad) DELETED by felplacerad
Good point, Col.

Name has to be short (max 2 words imo) and catchy, must sound good and fit into given examples.

"Oh My God What A Scary Quick Bend" does not. "Widowmaker" does, for example
How the hell do they pick corner names IRL anyway?

I know we must make them appropriate for the course, i.e. English for English tracks, Japense for Kyoto, Jive for Fern Bay..
South City Turns N+O: Named by Eric himself, on a sign by the road, "Kenton Way".
Obviously my vote for all the STCC names stands, Barnados at the end of Fern Bay is loosing the vote, which is a shame as it was our good cause charity for round 4.

I have to say as far as the STCC broadcasts are concerned there are some suggested names I cannot and will not use, "Trouser" and "Snake" at Aston Cadet for example, forget it. I'll happily use this page for 'inspiration' and take the good ones, but some i'm just not going to run with.
Quote from Bob Smith :How the hell do they pick corner names IRL anyway?

I know we must make them appropriate for the course, i.e. English for English tracks, Japense for Kyoto, Jive for Fern Bay..

Of course,

and since we've got representatives from all these regions that won't be a problem. Anyway, I agree with filur, it seems like this is working rather good, except for bl1 t1 of course, which havent got any suggestion we've been able to approve ..

Autobrowsing is more fun than i imagined it would be
Quote from Becky Rose :I'll happily use this page for 'inspiration' and take the good ones.

That's the idea.
Great idea and really well done cant wait to see results

i dont like dingledell or anyother names out of real tracks abit thoughtless
#42 - Nard
I started posting names for turns that didn't have any going. It's pretty easy, hop in LFS, go look at the corner, remember stuff that happened to you there, or stuff people would say about the corner, or names people have already been using. Comes pretty easily. But I have to say some name sugestions are horrible.
Quote from filur :That's the idea.

But will there be made a final thingy we're we all can see: this is the name of thàt corner and nothing else ?
Really nice idea. Love the site.

Problem is, some of the names ranked high are really unimaginiative. "Esses1" and "Esses2", "Pit Corner", "U-Turn" - please

On the other hand, some of them are really good. Although I notice that for the final U on SO Sprint 1, nobody has suggested the Jaknife Sorry Jack, nobody will ever let you live it down!
Great site, added a few from mine too
#46 - col
Quote from Dajmin :Really nice idea. Love the site.

Problem is, some of the names ranked high are really unimaginiative. "Esses1" and "Esses2", "Pit Corner", "U-Turn" - please

On the other hand, some of them are really good. Although I notice that for the final U on SO Sprint 1, nobody has suggested the Jaknife Sorry Jack, nobody will ever let you live it down!

Yeah? except some of those - like esses(1) and esses(2) have been used since early demo days. If a corner already has an established name, you aren't going to change that with a vote and an announcement...
Like Blackwood T1, there's only one name for that turn and it is 'T1', because is always was - there was a time when that was the only LFS track... folks aren't going to suddenly start saying "you rammed me in Paramount... NOOB".. its always going to be 'T1'.

Problem is that too many folks don't know their history
Another thing I noticed, assuming it is the intention, Barnardos has 2 r's, So it would be kinda odd to call a turn Barnados - sounds like an island somewhere or something...

Is there also a charity called Barnados ?

(wouldn't surprise me, I remember in the UK during the general election for one seat, (can't remember where) the conservatives put in 2 candidates - one 'Conservative' and one 'literal democrat' - split the liberal democrat vote and the Conservative candidate won the seat.... because most folks don't read things properly - just happily give their vote or old clothes erroniously)

Col
I'd be fine with the section being called "The Esses", but the corners inside it should have individual names as well.

Because if the corners have names and nobody uses them, it's totally pointless.
It'd be like not using driver names because they all have a number.
Quote from col :Another thing I noticed, assuming it is the intention, Barnardos has 2 r's, So it would be kinda odd to call a turn Barnados - sounds like an island somewhere or something...

Since no edit function has been implented yet i'd be glad to manually change the spelling if the suggestee contacts me.

By the way I cannot resist the urge to share some statistics: (mon, dec 11th, site has been up since sat, dec 9th)

Corners: 131

Users: 63
Suggestions: 428
total votes;3972
-Negative: 2192
-Positive: 1342
Neutral: 438
This is a damn fine initiative.

I'm voting for all the STCC names 'cause I think those guys (and girl ) deserve some credit for their hard work and aside from "dingel dell" (explain that one to me sometime...), they all sounded really good in the spoken commentary.

Furthermore, I wholehartedly agree with the comment on the BL legacy, T1 and the Blackwood Esses are already established terms in my book, so luckily they're winning the vote.
Quote from bobvanvliet :This is a damn fine initiative.

I'm voting for all the STCC names 'cause I think those guys (and girl ) deserve some credit for their hard work and aside from "dingel dell" (explain that one to me sometime...)

Dingle Dell is a bend at Brands Hatch.

EDIT: Or maybe it was, and doesn't exist anymore. I knew Dingle Dell used to be a fantastic corner on the old Brands Hatch GP circuit. I don't know how the layout has been revised since then.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG