The online racing simulator
Quote from felplacerad :Straightways ... Yep I'll be adding some straights eventually. I'd also appreciate some pointers on which straights to add. Keep the discussion going.

Here is just a few ideas for what straights you would mark. I've added some names so you can see why the straights are nice to name
Attached images
bl_straights.jpg
so_straights.jpg
fe_straights.jpg
ky_straights.jpg
we_straights.jpg
as_straights.jpg
Quote from sweetreid :Yeah I penned that one, thought it was a nice fit.

I agree with having some discussion... Is 'The T1' really the best we can do here?

The T1 is probably the only name for that turn that will ever stick... I've seen people refer to it as T1 even on the reverse track (where it is in fact TLast).

@Tweak:
At Kyoto, the turn you named Don Bikes Kink should not be named... It's an oval turn, and turns like that on the s/f straight are always called dogleg or tri-oval. You could name the straight Don Bikes Straight/Shute.. You specifically named the corner though.
Quote from TagForce :The T1 is probably the only name for that turn that will ever stick... I've seen people refer to it as T1 even on the reverse track (where it is in fact TLast).

@Tweak:
At Kyoto, the turn you named Don Bikes Kink should not be named... It's an oval turn, and turns like that on the s/f straight are always called dogleg or tri-oval. You could name the straight Don Bikes Straight/Shute.. You specifically named the corner though.

FYI, Kyoto is not a Tri-Oval with that shape. Tri-Ovals are 3 turns (hence the "tri") with a FLAT straightaway in the front or back... Kyoto is nowhere near that, and an odd shape of course.

I agree it could be called a chute though.

About the "T1 / Turn 1" deal with Blackwood and other tracks. We do NOT need to give it the name "The T1" simply for the fact that we always refer to the corners of the track as this because that is just for reference. Either "T1" or the "last turn" when discussing it with people. This is common for every track you race when you are explaining things to people. This DOESN'T meant we need to call those turns T1 or Turn 1 :doh:. Blackwood's Turn 1 needs a creative and crafty name that best describes the turn 1 mayhem we are all familiar with. That is what would fit it the best. It needs a nickname that people will be happy to shout out loud. "Turn 1", "T1", "The T1", that's just a numerical reference like with any track, and I call every track's 1st turn "Turn 1".
Quote from Gunn :That would also be a disaster. No way am I ever going to name a corner "T1" or "turn one". Despite the fact that it lacks any imagination or creativity it would make the whole community look silly. Also, that turn is the final turn in reverse config.

"Car number 42 exits turn one and crosses the finish line!"

I did actually elaborate a bit more on why it wouldn't be such a disaster, car number 42 would exit turn last, etc.

Tweaker is right, if it ends up being "T1" i guess most people would agree the corner is still unnamed.
Quote from filur :
Tweaker is right, if it ends up being "T1" i guess most people would agree the corner is still unnamed.

For any other "first" corner thats true, but NOT for Blackwood GP "T1". It is most likely the oldest named corner in LFS. It is also the FIRST corner, everyone new to LFS sees when entering the game. I for myself remember calling it "T1" since somewhere around 2003.
Quote from Tweaker :Just should do one track environment at a time, and we need some kind of comments thing... there needs to be some explanation and comments to be given for suggestions AND possibly have a user submit multiple name ideas. Because

I think this a reasonable suggestion.
Hats off to those who took the initiative to start this project, but I think they ( and everyone ) needs to have to courage to rethink the process.

For this to work ( and it would be cool if it works on a global scale), you need as many people as possible involved, and you need a better selection process than the current random voting.

I think a track by track discussion and debate, whether in a forum here, or on the 'curves' website, would be a good thing, prior to any voting.
Narrow the possiblities down to a certain number, then put it to a vote, one track at a time. There is no need for immediate results, after all.

As it is now, I can decide I like a name for no other reason than person x used it last week, and convince 15 other people to vote against all others, etc.

As tweaker points out, there is no explaination being offered for choices, and no consideration of what constitutes the traditional naming of turns, straights, areas, etc.

Please don't let the fact that you've invested a week already discourage you from pursuing the BEST options for naming track components.
If it does work, then these names will be with us for years to come.

If it's a hodge podge of T1, Bakers Right Hander, Banalot Turn, etc, it will end up a waste of time. If its done right, and well, I can easily imagine the dev's incorporating it into the official version, with maps and names of the various tracks.

In the end, do you want it to be successful and fully implemented ?
Quote from nilo :-1

For any other "first" corner thats true, but NOT for Blackwood GP "T1". It is most likely the oldest named corner in LFS. It is also the FIRST corner, everyone new to LFS sees when entering the game. I for myself remember calling it "T1" since somewhere around 2003.

It isn't the oldest name corner, it is just the corner number! Whatever happened to, "uh oh, what's going to happen in Turn 2?"... That's something that people do wrong even at South City Classic. TURN 1 is when you go under the bridge, yet they call Turn 2 (the hairpin), Turn 1... that is wrong. These are just simple reference numbers like you have with any track.

It's just that LFS'ers are so clouded with calling the 1st troublesome turn "Turn 1", we can't think of anything better. It's stupid. Any corner that people expect starts to be a disaster in is "Turn 1", even if it isn't the first turn.

Now, again... people can still call it Blackwood Turn 1, but it should still have a name. We can have Fern Bay Club's Turn 1, Or Westhill's Turn 1, people will ALL still call it that, but it STILL could have a proper name given to it. LFS'ers will never stop calling the first corner "T1", and that isn't wrong... it's like saying the 3rd corner at Westhill is Turn 3. But when you use actual corner names to have a bit of creativity... once people start calling those corners by their given name, it will become so common that people probably won't be saying "Turn 5" or "That one turn that is before the bridge".
Quote from Flycantbird :In the end, do you want it to be successful and fully implemented ?

The way i see the results of this thing being used is something like pretty track maps with the "winning" names being stored somewhere, at the Wiki perhaps, along with a bit of text explaining where the maps and names came from. I don't think the names will be added to the game.

From my point of view the current system has been extremely successful, approaching a thousand suggested names and already over 10,000 votes.

I also sort of have an idea of how to wrap things up, i've been thinking about dropping all but the top 2 or 3 names for each corner, disabling new suggestions and letting everyone vote a second time, one track at a time would work good at this point along with any needed discussions / polls on the forum. Gathering suggestions will stay just as it is, all tracks at once.

Quote from Flycantbird :There is no need for immediate results, after all.

While the results will be "finalized" for this project, there's nothing stopping people from continuing without the website, i'm sure there's atleast a few pretty decent suggestions you could carry over to a new project, if you'd want to. It's just a big idea collector, use the ideas for whatever you want.
There just isn't much collaboration with the way it is setup now. You are only allowed one name suggestion, and you cannot change your votes or anything.

I still wish we'd do one track at a time, have a big list of name suggestions, AND be allowed to comment on certain names. It's the only way to let people understand the purpose or idea behind a name.

I mean "Seaview Bend" on Fern Bay is just wrong. It's not a Sea, it's a bay where this turn is. Someone had also put "Sandy Beach Chicane" where there is no chicane.... I named that area "The Dunes" which some people seem to agree on, and that fits the look of the sandtrap, and also the idea behind what a beach has a bit inland... "dunes". Perfect.

This is the reason why I feel we need to discuss corners and have more of an agreement and collaboration with the entire community. It's no good being left with just one suggestion and not writing A BUNCH of ideas on paper. You won't get very far (or get very good results) if you don't let your ideas expand.
Quote from Tweaker :You won't get very far (or get very good results) if you don't let your ideas expand.

Thing is we're not trying to get "very far", the purpose (at this point) is not to slowly gather the final names on which everyone agrees, the idea is to see if this has any chance of working whatsoever. For this purpose, the results are already very good.

As i posted earlier there will probably be atleast one more "phase" of the project, in which we'll probably do things a bit differently.
One thing I do think you should have though is some sort of "Recent Submissions" so you can stay up-to-date one what people are submitting and vote on the submission.

AND, have something so you can make sure you've voted for all the submissions possible. So I guess a way to check if you still need to vote for a corner. This way everyone's submissions will get enough votes and nothing will go unseen. Because going through each corner/track is a tedious task for most, and not everyone will want to keep clicking through each config for a while. It seems only the ones that really have the time will want to contribute the most . But this feature suggestion would help I think.
Quote from Tweaker :
I mean "Seaview Bend" on Fern Bay is just wrong. It's not a Sea, it's a bay where this turn is.

But if you look out over the bay you can see the sea, see? I voted dunes anyhow.

Yes many people don't seem to understand what a chicane or esses are. You need more than one turn to make an "ess" and small esses are not neccessarily chicanes. All sharp turns are not hairpins.

I agree that a collaborative phase is necessary if you want to achieve some sort of quality consensus.
Another small update, a "withdraw this suggestion" (delete) should appear in the "Your suggestion" box if ...
  • Your suggestion has no positive votes ("undo").
  • Your suggestion has a score of -5 or lower ("i've got a better one").
Quote from Tweaker :... have something so you can make sure you've voted for all the submissions possible.

The "auto" browser will tell you if there's nothing left to vote on, i'll add a better way if i can figure one out.
Another small update, a "withdraw this suggestion" (delete) should appear in the "Your suggestion" box if ...
  • Your suggestion has no positive votes ("undo").
  • Your suggestion has a score of -5 or lower ("i've got a better one").[/quote]
Ok cool

Quote from filur :The "auto" browser will tell you if there's nothing left to vote on, i'll add a better way if i can figure one out.

Ahh, hadn't used that. The navigation is still kind of limited to only one direction, so I haven't seen every single page probably One thing I'd suggest for this though is to make the map zoomed out a little bit more than it is now so people can quickly identify where the corner is and what track it is. For those who don't remember the tracks by heart, this would be useful. Yes yes, there is the option to view the map or corner, but to make it quick, maybe have it zoomed out a little bit more to help with identification. Example attached below: (and when I clicked on Map, it wouldn't show corner S)

LOL, just had a laugh at someone's suggestion of "Eau Screw"
Attached images
tac_huh.jpg
Trying to delete an entry:

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Quote from Gunn :Trying to delete an entry:

XML Parsing Error: no element found

Fixed, i think.
Interesting to see that some people already have the same ideas for corner names that I do... I was suprised to see I'm not the only one that calls the SO classic chicane the "bus stop", and Aston's "Boomerang"
was exactly what I was going to suggest, but it was already at the top of the list.
just noting that the link is down it seems. Will it be back up again? (since there also is a rotating banner at the top of the page, which currently leads to a dead page)
It's back up again :up:
Okay, people, devs are watching, we've got to come up with some cool names and maybe ...
HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The site has been updated, upon popular demand we added a few straights devotedly suggested by our beloved tweak. Furthermore the previously neglected aston hairpin has made its decision to appear among the other corners making aston north.

We'll give you roughly another week to vote and suggest before we move on to the next phase (we are not sure what the next phase is, but we'll come up with something).

http://flp.c0m.se/corners/
Woot
We have now initiated phase two.
  • No longer taking suggestions, only the top 2 suggestions for each corner remain.
  • Everyone is free to vote once for each suggestion, even if you've already voted.
  • Votes are logged per IP, you don't need to register or log in.
http://flp.c0m.se/corners/, or go straight to the autobrowser.

Voting will be open until 11:00 GMT on Tuesday the 23rd.
What happens when both suggestions are rubbish?

Too many people seem to think the corner name need reflect it's shape or what goes on there.

Blackwood Turn G is the world though, it seems a crap name managed to get the top two spots.

I blame myself for not trying to be more inventive.
Quote from Bob Smith :What happens when both suggestions are rubbish?

We'll introduce some thought / discussion when this pass is done.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG