The online racing simulator

hello!
Good stuff!! I'm starting to like pie too
23 hours to go!
Weeeee! The only suggestion of mine that's losing is Fern Thicket I loved that name
Quote from Nard :Weeeee! The only suggestion of mine that's losing is Fern Thicket I loved that name

And all your other suggestions are winning? You should surely become an ad writer, then -- or are you one?

All my suggestions are loosing. Even the one I had the highest hopes about is only a distant second atm (probably should have gone for "barrel roll "instead of "somersault" :tilt.

Anyway, will be interesting to see which of the names will acutally stick (and if they will become official names in the future).
I think people may be forgetting why corners have names. Many tracks have only one or two corners that go by an actual name. The History behind a corner and/or its surrounding landmarks tend to be what makes names memorable. LFS has neither, the history isnt there, we cannot name a corner after someone who lost their life there, someone who won/lost a world championship there, a family's house, a street corner etc etc etc.

Maybe there should be a vote on which corners get specific names, because after all if we name every dam* thing on the track, what makes the name special anymore?
Quote from KartRacer :I think people may be forgetting why corners have names. Many tracks have only one or two corners that go by an actual name. The History behind a corner and/or its surrounding landmarks tend to be what makes names memorable. LFS has neither, the history isnt there, we cannot name a corner after someone who lost their life there, someone who won/lost a world championship there, a family's house, a street corner etc etc etc.

Maybe there should be a vote on which corners get specific names, because after all if we name every dam* thing on the track, what makes the name special anymore?

This man got a pretty good point.

But... i think it's all "in jest" this whole corners naming thing? Right?
Just to have some laughs on its expense.
That's what i did make about it anyway.

Sorry if i'm wrong.
Yes, you're right

The naming of all corners is quite entertaining. I had a laugh looking through them.

I just find it hard to see myself thinking of corners in LFS by name, without any backround.
Looking at the choice of two names for each corner I can see that this was a waste of time. Almost all of the names suggested are poor and some are just rediculous. Randomly drawing the names of fruit and vegetables out of a hat would have yielded better results.
Quote from Gunn :Looking at the choice of two names for each corner I can see that this was a waste of time. Almost all of the names suggested are poor and some are just rediculous. Randomly drawing the names of fruit and vegetables out of a hat would have yielded better results.

I agree.

This idea is becoming less of a collaboration of ideas, and more just of a voting game that is really lopsided in my opinion. Many great and meaningful ideas are put down and a strange alternative is usually put in its place.

I still think that if the community wants to participate in this, you need to do 1 track at a time (specifically 1 config), have a voting system for a large list of suggested names (some would be filtered by admins), and then have a COMMENTs system for each corner. I asked for a comments system before, and it has been declined numerous times... but why? That direction is the complete opposite to what I thought this was trying to achieve. :doh: You cannot explain the idea behind the name of the corner you give, and nobody will understand it... aka give you a negative vote. When you do one track at a time, and make sure everyone has thought the names through for each corner and straight, you can move on to the next. Otherwise you get people throwing out the same names for corners on many tracks, as well as just coming up with ideas that don't really show any effort to make the tracks 'believable'.

I've stopped any of my suggestions simply for the fact that I've wasted my time on thinking of ideas, because along with other people's good names, they just get tanked and it just goes to show that there is no real control over what is chosen.
How many Parabolicas are there at the moment?
It was always set out to be an experiment and I think it's a step in the right direction. At least now there are names for corners where once there were none. Even if you don't like the name of a corner, it doesn't take much explaining to identify the one you're talking about any more.

I've enjoyed taking part in the project, personally. I suggested names for almost all corners, and had some fun (and some eye-strain) coming up with pertinent names. A comments field would have helped qualify each suggestion, but I recognise it was always just an experiment and a nicely coded one.

Perhaps phase 3 will come, and we'll have the opportunity to question names and propose better ones.. and those we don't care to name will still at least have the names they have now, if we want to use them.
Quote from SamH :
Perhaps phase 3 will come....

I'm already deep into phase 4: the rejection stage.
I've long yearned to have names for corners. I don't need to LIKE the name.. I just need to be able to refer to it. Some of the names are well-qualified, some aren't so well thought-out.. but they're generated by the community and I like that. Corner names become corner names because people refer to them by name, over time. Without this project, we'd still have nothing to refer to.

It's an awful lot easier than saying "that difficult bit, yanno? With the tyres on the inside where if you get your wheels dirty you're screwed for the next really sharp corner.. oh you know.. on Aston Grand Prix.. oh wait, is it Aston North? One of them, anyway... it's definitely on Cadet, I'm sure.."

When I say "Eau Rouge", most of the people I know, know immediately which corner I'm referring to. If I say "Corkscrew" or "Dipper", everyone else does too.

I support the effort is, I guess, what I'm saying. It's a first-time out, and so naturally it's not going to be right, right out of the box.. but the idea is sound and I think the motivation is good.
Thanks for the comments everyone, it really motivates us to keep going

I suppose this thread can be unstickied until we enter phase 3.
I have totally forgotten about phase 2. Any chance to see it's results?

And btw, when can we expect the opening of phase 3 (I'm not asking for a date, just estimates)?
Nice
What ever happend to this project?
Dunno dude, the website has been closed
It was widely agreed to be a waste of time, and as such everyone just lost interest. No point using up the bandwidth to host the site if nobody uses it. I think if the STCC folks hadn't already named most of the corners themselves it may have done better

And of course some of the more popular ideas were crap. "T1" is a description, not a name
Quote from Dajmin :It was widely agreed to be a waste of time, and as such everyone just lost interest.

To put it better it wasn't waste of time! It was the people who were putting stupid corner names into the system. As a whole what was done was good effort and it is a bit sad that it didn't work in the end. Maybe the system could have been better, or maybe something else.
I was really enthusiastic about the project, but it turned out that I was in the minority. Becky and I put the STCC names in and some of them stuck, some didn't. If the project had succeeded, we would have used the names in here in the STCC broadcasts for the tracks we hadn't already filmed.

The project was good, IMO, because it would have reinforced the "soul" of LFS tracks, and corners would be known by their names in exactly the way that real track corners and straights become named - acceptance over time. I was sad to see the project die, tbh, and I wanted FEL and filur to publish the results on the LFS Wiki. Minority view, tho, and I can't argue with democracy

Quote from Hyperactive :To put it better it wasn't waste of time! It was the people who were putting stupid corner names into the system. As a whole what was done was good effort and it is a bit sad that it didn't work in the end. Maybe the system could have been better, or maybe something else.

I think if it'd been allowed to run, it would have succeeded in time. Unfortunately it was poo-poohed by a vocal minority, IMO, who didn't "see the point". FEL and filur made the mistake of listening to the vocal minority, and pulled it before its time. Genuinely my feeling on it.
i think the naming was excellent, comon some haven completly stuck, mainly because they were used in just a few times in the broadcast, but some that got alot of attencion during the race like eu rouge(sp) have stuck, which i think is significant cos if they dont get alot of attencion then people wont remember.
I think it was a good idea as well. It'd be nice to know exactly what corner someone means when they used it's name. And knowing Scawen they'd probably have been worked into LFS at some point

I didn't realise it wasn't that many people who were complaining about it though. Shame it fell apart after that then.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG