The online racing simulator
LFS dedi start at boot time on linux...
Hi!

Is there a way to start the LFS dedihost at linux boot time? I've tried the screen & winconsole thing (previous in this thread) together with the /dedicated=invisible directive in the config file... But with no success .

I've been using the /etc/rc.local file for this, with this code:

# Start LFS dedihost
# ------------------
cd ~lfsuser

# Execute the dedihost start:
# ---------------------------
echo "LFS server started by /etc/rc.local at boot" > ./boot_start.log
date >> ./boot_start.log
# nohup wine ./LFS.exe >> ./boot_start.log & echo $! > lfs.pid
screen -d -m -S LFSserver wineconsole --backend=curses ./LFS.exe >> ./boot_start.log & echo $! > lfs.pid

Running the /etc/rc.local manually works OK both with the nohup and the screen alternative commands, but not as I reboot .

Any clue about how to deal with this?

Many thanks
Assuming your box uses the sysV init scripts (which you appear to), you'd have to create a relevant script and symlink it into the correct run level's location

Usually this is /etc/init.d/yourscript, which is then symlinked to /etc/rcX.d/S99/yourscript (assuming Debian there, it maybe different for your distro, although unlikely).

Depending on your distro it would depend on which run level to add it to - it's going to be 2 for debian unless you've changed it, or 3 or 5 for Redhat derivates (3 for text interface only, 5 for full X interface).

Ideally your script should support the start, stop and restart arguments. There is a script floating about, but I'll see if I can bung an example script up shortly.
maybe u also consider using DediGUI ng for setting up your server!
ist an easy to use graphical user interface for setting up the setup.cfg file.

==> Download DediGUI ng

(it's a windows tool)
Quote from the_angry_angel :Assuming your box uses the sysV init scripts (which you appear to), you'd have to create a relevant script and symlink it into the correct run level's location

Usually this is /etc/init.d/yourscript, which is then symlinked to /etc/rcX.d/S99/yourscript (assuming Debian there, it maybe different for your distro, although unlikely).

Depending on your distro it would depend on which run level to add it to - it's going to be 2 for debian unless you've changed it, or 3 or 5 for Redhat derivates (3 for text interface only, 5 for full X interface).

Ideally your script should support the start, stop and restart arguments. There is a script floating about, but I'll see if I can bung an example script up shortly.

OK, thanks a lot mr Angry ! I'm running FC5 distr, which seems to use SysV as well as BSD boot procedure, running /etc/rc.local as the last sequence...? It works fine with TeamSpeak Server at least ... But of course it would be nice to stop, start and restart the script !
Quote from CrazyICE :maybe u also consider using DediGUI ng for setting up your server!
ist an easy to use graphical user interface for setting up the setup.cfg file.

==> Download DediGUI ng

(it's a windows tool)

Sufficiently pimped in the first post
hi im after starting a server up and running on the master server but having trouble wit people entering the server it sais connecting to host but just nothing happens please reply if you know my problem thnks
You've got a firewall in the way, or you've not forwarded your ports from a router most likely. Without knowing your setup, or additional information, it could be difficult to advise any further.
thanks m8 i think t might be my router ill go check it out thanks
w00t!

Sully is writing better now.

Cheers.
Hi racers !

i have done all the things in this posts for creating my server but there is a problem

-i have done the ports on modem
-i have done the settings on windows firewall
-i have tried to create a non-dedicated server

-> then my servers is on the demo servers list on www.lfsworld.com
--> but people cant join to it (

*i have no firewall using except windows firewall and also it has the right settings.
*i have tecom adsl modem that has ports open correctly
*i have 1.mbit of connection speed

so where is the problem please ?
It could be your ISP blocking the "high" end ports, perhaps?

Are you able to connect to your server locally (i.e. if you try to connect to 127.0.0.1)?
Quote from the_angry_angel :It could be your ISP blocking the "high" end ports, perhaps?

Are you able to connect to your server locally (i.e. if you try to connect to 127.0.0.1)?

i dont know if my ISP block the ports .i dont know how to control.

No,i cant connect to my server locally.:banghead:
Quote from TyresHot :No,i cant connect to my server locally.:banghead:

If you can't connect locally then theres no way on earth anyone else will beable to connect. This usually means theres something blocking the port.
modem firewall, or windows firewall or modem hardware problem or what else it can be ? thanks for your help.my modem is tecom AR1021.
It would be anything on the PC itself stopping you from connecting locally - which would be the Window firewall.

A suggestion would be to temporarily disable the firewall and try it then. If it still doesn't work, either the host isnt listening properly, or theres something else blocking the connection.

closing firewall didnt work again.

i think maybe the problem is with the opening the ports.i control it from portforwarding.com , my settings are the same as there.

i have problem like that with emule programs too,i think the same issuse there also.

nothing to do after now for me i think or ??
Without knowing exactly what you're doing, it's really difficult to explain what to try.

As I understand you, you're running the server on the same machine as the one you're trying to connect from. If so, then the connection doesnt leave your machine. What this means is, until you can connect to the server on the same machine (as in, no network traffic even goes near your router), nothing will work because either the server isn't running properly, or theres something on the machine blocking the connection. What I'm trying to say is that the port forwarding on your router might be right, but your computer running the server might not be.

When connecting to the same machine, you HAVE to connect to a local ip address (127.0.0.1), selecting it from the game list will not work.

If you've turned off the firewall completely, and you still cannot connect locally, then it's likely you've either got something else blocking it (this is possible with a LOT of a bits of software; I assume this is a home PC?), or the server isn't running properly.

Try changing the cfg file, and change /usemaster=yes to /usemaster=no, then trying to connect. If it works then you've got an out going firewall issue.

Or it could be that theres something else wrong with the configuration.
i am triing to create the server with NOT using the dedicated server programme,just in game.my server lists on lfsworld.com.i cant connect to it after all i did.

when i try dedicated server,it also does not list on lfsworld.com

i know its too hard to help me i couldnt succeeded for days.
Solution to error "info parameter before start parameter"
Hi Angry Angel, nice guide - thank you.

One small problem that I bumped into but solved - I was editing the cfg file and kept getting this error:

info parameter before start parameter

It turns out that the correct syntax is that all commands have to start with a single forward slash, like this:

/qual=25

whereas I, in my infinite wisdom, thought that the slash was some weird LFS-specific comment character (e.g. like # normally would be), so I was removing all these forward slashes, which produced the error.

A small thing, but probably worth incorporating into your sticky.

Cheers

Rakhsh
Adding it now Rakhsh Thanks for the pointer
The thing is Aegilops if you had read your README file that comes with lfs you'll notice the "admin" commands all start with / like

/kick (username) or
/ban (username) (days)

and the cfg file is using admin commands to save you having to put them in when the server first starts like

/track=bl1
/cars=all
/qual=30
/laps=5
can someone please explain this clearly i have a server started !!it shows on the master server to but for some reasan people cant enter the server it sais connecting guest the shortly after guest connection failed can someone please explain this thanks
Quote from 11SuLLy11 :can someone please explain this clearly i have a server started !!it shows on the master server to but for some reasan people cant enter the server it sais connecting guest the shortly after guest connection failed can someone please explain this thanks

It depends what you mean by "shows on the master server" (i.e. LFSWorld or in-game - its very important to make this distinction), but its likely you've not port forwarded the ports from your router, or there is a firewall in the way.

If you want I can give a very simplified technical explanation on port forwarding, and then firewalls?
thanks mate no its actually showing in the game i aev all firewalls off but not sure about ports hpw do i do that ??thanks very much
I think what !!sully11 means is that his guests keep "timing out",
ie. slow internet connection etc etc.
Is there any point even trying to host a lag free race with say a "bog standard" 10mb connection?

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG