The online racing simulator
Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
I personally do not mind using my real name online. Its just back when i started gaming online (when i got my first pc) i had to think of one due to signup purposes. Some how i and a friend came up with Madman. I then just added the CZ. Now everywhere i go i am always called Madman_CZ in Moh, CS, f1-99-02, all of the forums etc etc...

I dont really see how using real names would make the immersion any more real, When i signed up it asked for a nickname an instinctively i put in madman_cz but i wouldnt mind if i had to use my real name at all. I just want to race and have fun and meet other fast people.

btw my real name is: Petr Čejka
My name originally comes form my days as a squash player. Back then I used to float around the court silently, moving from the positions my opponents believed me to be in

Then I used it for the Tunbridge Wells Motor Club forum and Easytrack and since then I always use it for gaming and forums. Strangely enough it's never taken.
TWMC huh? I'm partaking in their Brands sprint tomorrow, so if you're local (or anyone else is) why not pop down and say hello. There is a SEMSEC monoposto race in the afternoon too. On a similar note, they are looking for extra marshalls for the day, so if anyone wants to help out club level motorsport, head over to http://www.twmc.org.uk/index.html and look at the top banner request.

On Topic (sort of) - Disgusting Woven Conduit images are proving hard to sell. A dip in the market as they say. Can anyone think of an alternative part-time career for 17 year old Thai ladyboy with little to no skills at anything?
Quote from Bob Smith :

Right thats it Bob! You think because its your last day at work you can throw jokes at me huh!? GIT you wait till tomorrow, i will physically harm you for that remark!...:gnasher: :irked::chair: with teh chair!

OHH AND BY THE WAY.. YOU SPELLED FOREIGN WRONG... muhahaha

you english people, when will you learn your own language
Quote from tristancliffe :Can anyone think of an alternative part-time career for 17 year old Thai ladyboy with little to no skills at anything?

I've yet to meet a 17 year old Thai Lady-boy with 'no skills'
Quote from tristancliffe :TWMC huh? I'm partaking in their Brands sprint tomorrow, so if you're local (or anyone else is) why not pop down and say hello. There is a SEMSEC monoposto race in the afternoon too. On a similar note, they are looking for extra marshalls for the day, so if anyone wants to help out club level motorsport, head over to http://www.twmc.org.uk/index.html and look at the top banner request.

On Topic (sort of) - Disgusting Woven Conduit images are proving hard to sell. A dip in the market as they say. Can anyone think of an alternative part-time career for 17 year old Thai ladyboy with little to no skills at anything?

I competed in that last year. Good luck mate. I'm going to watch the event at Lydden. Loadsa oval racers driving like they're playing LFS on a demo server for that matter lol.

I've been badgered about marshalling ever since I joined TWMC. I'll check the times when they go up so make sure you push
Quote from Goop :I've yet to meet a 17 year old Thai Lady-boy with 'no skills'

I've seen some novel things happen with ping pong balls and a bucket. Ahhh. Those where the days . . The filth, the mud, the smoke filled bars, those hedonistic nights getting blasted on cheap homemade gutrot watching 17 year old Thai Lady Boys working their magic on stage . . .

Reminds me of 'Nam . . . . Chelten'am.
Quote from Funnybear :I've seen some novel things happen with ping pong balls and a bucket. Ahhh. Those where the days . . The filth, the mud, the smoke filled bars, those hedonistic nights getting blasted on cheap homemade gutrot watching 17 year old Thai Lady Boys working their magic on stage . . .

Reminds me of 'Nam . . . . Chelten'am.

I was gonna say - I didn't think you went to the same school as me!
I've been known as Hog for years. Every forum I go onto I'm known as Hog of one form or another. I only added the 700 as it's my full size race number! It wouldn't let me have just "Hog" so I wonder who's using that?

If I used my real name no-one would know it's me!
Quote from Gentlefoot :I competed in that last year. Good luck mate. I'm going to watch the event at Lydden. Loadsa oval racers driving like they're playing LFS on a demo server for that matter lol.

I've been badgered about marshalling ever since I joined TWMC. I'll check the times when they go up so make sure you push

Was hoping to be marshalling at Lydden tomorrow - but not sure if I can make it now
Quote from Madman_CZ :OHH AND BY THE WAY.. YOU SPELLED FOREIGN WRONG... muhahaha

you english people, when will you learn your own language

hehe, you're messing with Bob, now expect to get banned

May it be that your last name ist pronounced a little like "czech" (just with ka at the end)? I'm too lazy to ask my father, because he can still speak czech a little
Is it right there's a sentence in czech with no vocals at all, which is roughly translated as "I'm sticking my finger in the throat and throw up"? Just curious
Quote from Hog700 :Was hoping to be marshalling at Lydden tomorrow - but not sure if I can make it now

Are you a member then mate?
Quote from zeugnimod :Sorry, but I dont see that. And imo, you contradict yourself. First, you say, the drivers dont get better, if they drive with real names. But how is it more likely to have a better race then, if the same drivers drive, only with their real names?

Quote from Hyperactive :Although, using your real name gives more professional impression.

Quote from Hyperactive :But using your real name gives more professional impression than just some "Turbo-GTi" or "Killer-Bill". To me it tells that the competitor is more serious about what he does and gow he does it. If you watched an F1 race and all the driver names were replaced by nicks like Schumi, Iceman and Rubinho, would it sound as professional or interesting?

I was talking about myself Also in my world, I think that the nickname reflects on how the person behaves. If you use your real name, you are a bit more careful as you are represeting yourself, not your nickname. You lose your nickname when you turn off the computer but the real name is with you until you DIE! (or get a sexchange/revert to thai ladyboy)
Quote from zeugnimod :Idiots also have names, so they will still be there.

I changed my mind. We should all use our real life names and force everyone to use his real life name.
Then, when someone causes an accident we go: "I know your name, I know where you live, do that again and I'll come and beat you up!"
We can also create a successor to the barricade, the LFS-wrecker-beat-up-brigade, with members all over the globe that team up and beat wreckers in their vicinity to bloody pulps.

See? Real life names will really improve the racing a lot.

Vain
Ok. Fine. If you really insist on using real names then my real name is Norris. Chuck Norris. And you don't need to know where I live because I will find you first . . .
Quote from traxxion :Weingart sounds fair enough to me..? People also call M. Schumacher, Schumacher all the time
I'm being called Kooij a lot lately though, that's worse (pleaaassse add van der ).

OK but then I always feel I'm back in the army where you always was called by your last name.

I think it's much easier for a foreigner to remember short nicknames.
In your case I can easily remember the nick traxxion but when I always had to type "hi van der Kooij" it would be much more difficult (and I think I'll forget that name over the next days :rolleyes:.

Like Fetzo wrote:
Quote from Fetzo :everyone who thinks that his/her real name is more personal than his/her nick name never had a real nick name. you cannot compare some name you just made up to disguise your identity with a nickname you have answered to for more than a decade...

In my case I used the nickname BBO for more then 22 years! now and also real life friends, my sister etc. call me often just BBO.

I think I would collapse if I had to memorize all the 200? 300? 400? real names of all the LFS people I know. :schwitzmaybe I'm just getting old)
Just been looking at the member list to see what kind of numbers of people use their real names. I got bored after about 3 pages .

But I did notice a general Jaffa Cake theme going on. Android - a Jaffa Cake is a small soft biscuit sized 'cake', with a little orangey jelly bit on the top, covered in chocolate. This might help you. There was some doubt as to whether it was a cake or a biscuit, as it isn't cake shaped, it is biscuit sized, but has a soft doughy base rather than a harder crunchy base. This is reproduced from the wiki article

Quote from Wikipedia about Jaffa Cakes and the Law :Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as luxury items and are subject to VAT at 17.5%. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by HM Customs and Excise in court.[1] This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit. The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to class something as a cake or biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that their Jaffa Cakes were simply mini cakes.

They also argued that the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simply that cakes go hard when stale, whereas biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale and McVitie's won the case.[2]

The issue was revisited in an article entitled 'Are Jaffa Cakes really biscuits?' published in the Journal of Unlikely Science (Volume 1, issue 7, 2005). [3] The article attempted to classify biscuits via a scientific analysis of various features (size, shape, filling etc.) and determined that the Jaffa Cake should be regarded as a biscuit, or 'pseudobiscuit'.

Sorry if this was off topic, but the research that led to this discovery (about Jaffa cakes in profiles) was discovered on an On Topic mission.
Quote from tristancliffe :
But I did notice a general Jaffa Cake theme going on. Android - a Jaffa Cake is a small soft biscuit sized 'cake', with a little orangey jelly bit on the top, covered in chocolate. This might help you. There was some doubt as to whether it was a cake or a biscuit,

OT
I don't care if it is a cake or a biscuit. But I love it for years. Still one of my favourites. I think I have to go shopping tom. to buy me some. Yummy
I've used Dumpy for a few years for online FPS games and now for LFS. When I've played fantasy style games I almost always use names from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I use my real name Howie Stephens for "official" email stuff, but I wouldn't have a problem using it in-game if it were asked of me. I've used a fake but real sounding name Richard Stark a few times over the years too. I also have a pretty old made-up word nickname that I registered an original hotmail (pre-microsoft) account with and still use for that and other "junk mail" email accounts and forum accounts and such.

As for other people using nicknames, I don't really care. Like Funnybear said, computerland is just a nickname kind of place. It's just annoying when I can't figure out a way to say/think it out loud, or when it's completely made of "cool looking" arabic characters or whatever.

As an aside, I do enjoy googling myself every now and then (It's not what it sounds like!) to see what other people are doing with my name.
@Vain

Whatever.
I got three passports, a couple of visas, you don't even know my real name...
We dress like students, we dress like housewives, or in a suit and a tie
I changed my hairstyle, so many times now, I don't know what I look like!

I AM Racer Y

To those "Sim Racers" that are so adamant about using real names...Man, those people need help.
And as far as nick names not being realistic, What about Snake & Mongoose?
I know The Snake was Don Purdohme, but I don't know the Mongoose's real name. And the "Honeybun" Woman. What was her real name?

....A 17 yr old Thai Ladyboy that makes nasty stuff outta conduit...ROFL
THAT'S the proper attitude I think an LFSer ought to have. Leave all that
"real name" only nonsense to the pasty colored wannabees.

Real Names or it's not realistic... yeah right.

Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG