The online racing simulator
Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
Quote from thisnameistaken :Honestly her knockers are the best bit, and I think if I said "Just stand still a minute darling, I need a good photo of your boobs for the internet" she might not be all that happy about it...

:doh:

Quote from Becky Rose :I gave up using a "handle" online when I got into this thing called adulthood. To me the whole nickname thing works much better in things like CB radio, but in a text format they're rediculous because people use symbols and capital letters in an unreadable way. I sometimes look at the driver list in LFS and think of drivers not by their name, but as "The two white characters and four red characters driver", or just "him".

That's a bit of a dig, isn't it tbh, I can see your point, but only with the really silly names. Mine of course isn't
Quote from traxxion :Hey,

On a Dutch community site for Simracing in general (www.simracing.nl) we as LFS'ers often get flamed for using nicknames. They say: "Nicknames belong to games, in simulators it's a tradition to use your real name".
Now I didnt know about that "tradition" but i do agree it would look a lot more professional if we all used our real names.

I bet there are a lot of people that love the privacy of a nickname, but what are your opinions on this? Would it be possible/good to start using real names?

With regards to your question Trax, and to extend on what Sparkey wrote, I beleive that using your realname's in League Racing does look and feel, and give's it that more professional touch. Take ESL Pro series for example. Seeing people's real names on the cars, while it is being Streamed live, looks better than there Nicknames. When the number Plate and the Names on the Windows become seperate GFX ( so they are both not the same templete) this will only extend this feature.

While racing online, just having some fun, then yes, I use my nickname, because, well I just do

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :While racing online, just having some fun, then yes, I use my nickname, because, well I just do

Hehe, that's my point. Wouldn't it be better to start using real names while racing online, even if it's while you're just having some fun? I've recently started using the name in my signature, for fun online and in league races.
I think if we'd all do that (or at least the majority), it would contribute to the professionalism of LFS. I do respect anyone who doesnt feel like using real names and I also agree with Gabkicks's physics comment, but in general I think it would be just a tad more professional - which in my opinion can only be for the better.

I personally would have no problems with using my real name and surname. But I'm a bit paranoid about giving out my name on the internet, at least as less times ass possible and only on trusted sites (information here can be viewed by anyone). I know that there are 8 people in my country with the same name and surname (I also personally know one of them hehe) but I also know that information is power. Call me paranoid...

Actually when I am playing in the demo my nick is Marko which is my real name (everyone knows me there by that nick). But when signing up here the nick was taken. It's a very popular name...

My nick is very simple and easy to read and if you are from Slovenia you will know I am too.
Quote from kurent :I personally would have no problems with using my real name and surname. But I'm a bit paranoid about giving out my name on the internet, at least as less times ass possible and only on trusted sites (information here can be viewed by anyone). I know that there are 8 people in my country with the same name and surname (I also personally know one of them hehe) but I also know that information is power. Call me paranoid...

Actually when I am playing in the demo my nick is Marko which is my real name (everyone knows me there by that nick). But when signing up here the nick was taken. It's a very popular name...

Same with me.

I will tell you that my name is Alan,though.
Quote from kurent :I personally would have no problems with using my real name and surname. But I'm a bit paranoid about giving out my name on the internet, at least as less times ass possible and only on trusted sites (information here can be viewed by anyone). I know that there are 8 people in my country with the same name and surname (I also personally know one of them hehe) but I also know that information is power. Call me paranoid...

I don't worry about people knowing my real name. It's not exactly priveledged information. However, I always put a false DOB down if I give my name out. The combination of name and dob is a bit more worrying.
After using peoples nick names for soooo long then finding out their real names and using them just feels weird!

.....plus real names tend to be a little less exciting
Hey, my name is Ben Dover, i work for Rent a Gent.

On a more serious note i agree in leagues and more serious events real names should be used, there is a more personal connection between the drivers.

But then in the quick sprint races we all join for an evenings race nicks are just fine. Id rather prefer to be called "that noob exodus" instead of "Charles you idiot!" when learning a new combo isnt going so well
Hey,Isn't there a Japanese race car driver who drives under a pseudonym "WADA-Q"?
I use my real nickname
Will(William) Zoeller, i have no job r anything like that, so i sit here all day until i go to school.
if i use my real name i would probably be forced to charge you for taking lessons in pronounciation of Polish 17-letters long name

Andrzej, 33
Quote from Gentlefoot :I don't worry about people knowing my real name. It's not exactly priveledged information. However, I always put a false DOB down if I give my name out. The combination of name and dob is a bit more worrying.

Isn't it then odd, how many people are willing to give out much more information in exchange for trivial things (such as biro's), or appear to not care that the government (UK) are trying to bring in ID cards, and other things which contain biometric data, etc?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Isn't it then odd, how many people are willing to give out much more information in exchange for trivial things (such as biro's), or appear to not care that the government (UK) are trying to bring in ID cards, and other things which contain biometric data, etc?

It is wierd. But I am particularly cautious because someone managed to set up a DD for Carphone Warehouse on one of my bank accounts. I closed the account immediately and since then I've been very careful.
I use Shaguar, because i think my real name is gay ! :P
I totaly agree. The real name should display everywhere in LFS. The atmosphere would be much nicer I think and like mentioned before, it would show for the whole thing more respect.
On every car should be automaticly a spot where the name shows up, like in real.
+100000000000000000000
Nickname, because LFS is a game (with simulation physics, but its still a game - otherwise it wouldnt be fun )
Honestly I dont care what name someonse uses, Im just using ORION because everyone knows me like this and not as Frank.

However, most of my mates started to call me "ori" anyways
My name is Mike. Many know that now. I usually have a signature or manually sign forum posts with Mike. I try to register all forums and stuff with mrodgers. From now knowing my first name of Mike, you can figure out my last name is Rodgers. I am registered at LFS, LFS forum, theuspits, superspeedway.com, wspilots, avsim, CRC, RCGroups, RCUniverse, Wattsflyer.com, and many others as mrodgers. If I can't use mrodgers, I stick an 88 at the end because my first internet login experience, mrodgers was taken, so I stuck 88 on the end. Why? I use to have an 88 Toyota 4Runner and I was joining a Toyota 4x4 internet mailing list. I use NightHawk|CRC as a nickname in LFS. It comes from my bike, an 83 Honda Nighthawk. I sold the bike and someone on the servers the other night said "now you have to change your name." So I changed it to non-NightHawk|CRC for a little laugh (yea, just a little one). I forgot about it and it was still non-NightHawk|CRC last night.

No point really in all that. I use my real name in almost everything I register for. It's real easy for me to type quickly. The nicknames are interesting and I like them. It's easier to remember most of who I race with when the names are Banshee, th84, Turbo-Love, Cropsy, Tweak, Marsh2a, etc. But if it were Joe, Brian, Jim, John, Paul, and Henry, then it may be more difficult to remember who is who.
Real names for leagues makes sense, especially when there is a spoken or written commentary on the race.
I signed upto msn in 1999 with the email address greboth_1999@hotmail.com, then changed it to greboth_2000@hotmail.com etc through the years but about 2001 i changed my email address to the one i have now which still starts greboth_ but now i dont need to change every year. The "greboth" part which is a made up word stems from when rockers were known as grebo's (or greebo's depending on your spelling) and then became a kind of nickname by people who knew me.
Greboth also has the advantage of never ever ever being taken
The other name i sign up for things under is Crow as its a nickname ive had for over 10 years.
So no i dont use my real name, but i use nicknames that ive had.
#70 - Smax
My name is pretty common, I share it with 2 professional footballers, 1 assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police and a former Olympic champion sprinter, and those are only the versions of me in the public eye. Although I shouldn't be worried about people finding the real me through the pages of this website, especially not when lycos white pages makes such a good job of doing that without my consent or knowledge, I just feel somehow "comforted" by the anonymity of this screen name. I suppose much of that is to do with the fact that I've used it so often, for so long and in so many places. I just don't associate real names with videogames I suppose. I've nothing against people who do, but as I said earlier I'd object if the issue became forced, although I do take the point raised by various people about the "need" to have sensible names for the purposes of race reports.
What happens when your nickname is also a real name? Who is to know the difference?
Quote from Greboth :I signed upto msn in 1999 with the email address greboth_1999@hotmail.com, then changed it to greboth_2000@hotmail.com etc through the years but about 2001 i changed my email address to the one i have now which still starts greboth_ but now i dont need to change every year.

I always felt it was kinda stupid to stick your age or a date after your login/nick whatever. years go by quickly you may notice

and what have you put after greboth_ ? 2xxx? :P

anyways I don't mind using realnames, use it in GTR and GTL anyways, I have my real name entered in LFS as well on the info page, so if you check my LFS world stats you can find my name there.

btw, csurdongulos hasn't been taken on any forum either...yet. dunno why though
U have to send an ID card scan to LFS
It's not about that nobody can't know my or your name. But it would just look much more pro. Some have realy weird stuff on the top of their car......
Timo Hakala, a security guard at Securitas.

Halt!

Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG