The online racing simulator
Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
Real names vs Nicknames
Hey,

On a Dutch community site for Simracing in general (www.simracing.nl) we as LFS'ers often get flamed for using nicknames. They say: "Nicknames belong to games, in simulators it's a tradition to use your real name".
Now I didnt know about that "tradition" but i do agree it would look a lot more professional if we all used our real names.

I bet there are a lot of people that love the privacy of a nickname, but what are your opinions on this? Would it be possible/good to start using real names?
i am harry walton and im 16 years old. thats all the info your getting about me.

whos next.
Quote from Captain Slow :i am harry walton and im 16 years old. thats all the info your getting about me.

whos next.

Dunno if it was meant to be sarcastic, but I meant in online racing of course
thats just being stupid. but i do agree it would be nice if we all used our real names Maybe an option to show real names or nicknames but i dont mind it the way it is already.

I think realistic physics are more important than people using their real names. But of course some people feel otherwise like the ones who flame lfs. to each his own.
I Agree it does look more professional by useing your real names but not your full name looks gay in my eyes

Jonathon Pickard, AKA sccc|J.Pickard
#6 - Tomi
Quote from traxxion :Hey,

On a Dutch community site for Simracing in general (www.simracing.nl) we as LFS'ers often get flamed for using nicknames. They say: "Nicknames belong to games, in simulators it's a tradition to use your real name".
Now I didnt know about that "tradition" but i do agree it would look a lot more professional if we all used our real names.

I bet there are a lot of people that love the privacy of a nickname, but what are your opinions on this? Would it be possible/good to start using real names?

People using real names race often in a more respectfull manner. In our multisim leagues, we don't allow nicknames.

Imho, nicknames are fine on public servers but if I want to race with the very same people in a championship, I like to know their names, because it gives a sort of humanity to the champ.

BTW, when I was looking for a new job, my new employer did a google search and found me in my league. That's one of the reason why abandoning our privacy when racing online give us more responsibility and tends to give cleaner races. I bet if everybody called me a wrecker or a cheater, I would still be unemployed.
I just used a user name as I didn't want to have a boring user name like "Ray" or something like that, and I get to educate people on what "Bawbag" actually means.

I use my real name now and people call me every name under the...Moon.

Personally I don't care what name people use, although I love that guy with the username "Kamel Teou" or something like that.
Of course real names, many racers do that already and atleast in esl, endu and moe you are forced to use it. In public races it doesnt matter much what you use but that makes leagues look more professional and it's like that in other sims too.

It's only my opinon but nicknames and team tags belongs to FPS's etc. games
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
i dont think theres anything wrong with team tags.
my real name is: Andreas Rediske
#11 - Vain
I couldn't care less.
I don't drive simulators because of the athmosphere or the "feeling of being a race driver". I drive for the challenge. And that's the same with both nicknames and real life names.

On the other hand it's good to use real names in some leagues that understand themselves as serious. The STCC wants to make a video-coverage that is supposed to reach over the boundaries of the LFS community. In that case real life names are a better choice.
But on the track i couldn't care less wether the name of the guy I'm trying to pass is Daniel or Traxxion or Mr. Rockefeller-Einstein.

Vain
My real name is Eric Splatt, and I'm a 17 year old Thai ladyboy. My hobbies include shearing sheep and playing the bagpipes. When I'm not doing either of those, or my job, or playing LFS, I weave electrical conduit into disgusting images.
Quote from tristancliffe :My real name is Eric Splatt, and I'm a 17 year old Thai ladyboy. My hobbies include shearing sheep and playing the bagpipes. When I'm not doing either of those, or my job, or playing LFS, I weave electrical conduit into disgusting images.

Although it's pretty funny, how about trying on-topic for once?
Quote from tristancliffe :My real name is Eric Splatt, and I'm a 17 year old Thai ladyboy. My hobbies include shearing sheep and playing the bagpipes. When I'm not doing either of those, or my job, or playing LFS, I weave electrical conduit into disgusting images.

have i met you before somewhere....... (joke)
-
#15 - Jakg
although I use J. Green in the STCC, I prefer Jakg for the online races because it sounds better than "Jack Green"
-
@ Tristan .. So thats where all my conduit went

I think for leagues its a great idea to use real names it adds more realism , and when asking for a setup or a row you can call someone by there real name seems more personal and friendly .

SD.
Hank Probert. You may remember me from such educational films as "Lead Paint: Delicious but Deadly" and "Incest: A Game For The Whole Family".
#18 - Jakg
Quote from traxxion :I bet there are a lot of people that love the privacy of a nickname, but what are your opinions on this? Would it be possible/good to start using real names?

When people ask me to use my real name, I find it somewhat irritating to have to do so. I find very little to be attractive in my birth name, and I'd much prefer to use the name that I feel represents me the most. To those that know me well, regardless of being an online or offline relationship, I'm still Karl - but to many I'm known as the_angry_angel (or variations thereof), and as such I'd personally prefer to use that. At the end of the day, it's just a name, is it so important to organisers of events? How much difference will it really make?

Yes, I am somewhat unusual when it comes to this, but my nick is a very important part of who I am.
I used to use nicknames with teamtags. I was a public racer back then, then I entered a league (sig) where real name was mandatory and I got to like it. Now it just looks stupid to use my nickname (Spitfire<>shR) rather than David Kerek
I think it adds a bit of seriousness if there's such a word. I mean, you can only see racers' real names IRL so it would be quite obvious not to use nicknames in a simulator this has developed/is developing into.
i think im guna change my racername now
With RBR my name is Williamson T.
Trevor Williamson 16, 17 in 8 days. Half Aussie, half man
Me mum was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries. illepall
my name is w.dendy and im from northampoton, and im here today because i have an alcohol problem

*you all claps*
*we all claps*
I race LFS online as 'Dad' which is what my son calls me...

Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG