The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Hi Scawen, tnx very much for this update. It was me who make a mockup FF graph, in the style of other physics and gfx time graph displays.
Btw, how to enable the FF bar graph?
Options - Display - Show pedals
I already had that enabled, but I still don't see anything under the pedals, I have also ticked the <- -> button in extra status info.

edit: I figured it out, I had the gamepad connected as controler and it didn't show. It only started showing once I plugged in my FFB wheel.

edit2: I love this FF bar, it is exactly what we needed, tnx once again for implementing it Smile Is it possible to have the value of this bar graph in the spare variable of the outSim packet, OSO_EXTRA_1?

// if (OSOpts & OSO_EXTRA_1)

float SteerTorque; // Nm : steering torque on front wheels (proportional to force feedback)
float Spare; // spare -> here the value of FF bar?
Quote :A force feedback display is shown below the pedals (bottom right)

Many thanks for that!

Hope for separate FFB strenght setting per car in the future <3
Quote from versiu :Many thanks for that!

Hope for separate FFB strenght setting per car in the future <3

That could be useful, I always need to adjust the ffb in different cars. FWD? need to turn it up. A truck? All the way down, etc
Can i upload hotlaps in newest test patch?
Quote from versiu :Hope for separate FFB strenght setting per car in the future <3

I know it's a bit laborious but I just want to make sure you know, you can use a CAR.lfs script to implement a /ff command for that vehicle. E.g. XRT.lfs in the script folder. You can write such scripts for mods too, with names like SKINID.lfs

Quote from Viperakecske :Can i upload hotlaps in newest test patch?

I can't remember, but think I asked Victor for that some time ago. I don't know if it applies to these test patches or not. Maybe you can try, and if you can't, then let me know and I'll ask Victor?
It is working fine,you are the reason I am smiling today,thanks
Quote from Scawen :I know it's a bit laborious but I just want to make sure you know, you can use a CAR.lfs script to implement a /ff command for that vehicle. E.g. XRT.lfs in the script folder. You can write such scripts for mods too, with names like SKINID.lfs

Oooo, nice. I didn't knew that. Many thanks again!
Quote from bayanofmansorofisky :Yep there's issue with japan servers i guess, mods will not download (i always get redirecting to jp).. Now mods downloading after disabling redirect.

This whole redirecting thing should not happen at the client side to begin with. Its old fashioned. The (sub)domain should keep the same format and a geoDNS service should decide which server is the best to serve the request.

Then this whole redirect functionality can be removed, obsolete.
The redirect is not decided on the client side. The initial request is made to our main server and it decides to redirect users based on their location. The only client side part of it is an option to prevent redirects.
I've done some AI updates and copied them into the D37 test patch.

AI can now drive objects (do nothing) or motorbikes (slowly)

EDIT: AI can also enter in configs with no path, but will just sit there.

This started from a request to allow the AI to use objects, so they can be tested offline. It's an old thing on my list. But it seemed best to allow all mods, not just objects. That means motorbikes had to be supported. Well, a "few hours" turned into quite a few days. So, sorry about the delay to other things. I have stopped short of trying to really get the best out of them. There are issues with the tyre physics and the bikes actually work better in the new tyre physics.

If you are interested in object mods or bikes, please have a go with the new AI code. It was hard to get them to go round at all on bikes, then there was quite a struggle to get them to leave or enter pits. Hopefully I haven't broken anything for the other AI!

EDIT: Some bikes are too wobbly and crash too often, but maybe you can let me know if enough bikes seem to ride OK at enough tracks.

I know some people will be upset at another delay, but this is an important part of finishing the mods system. Other people will have fun using these AI updates. I've still got the incompatible updates including wheel rim improvements to release in the next few days.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117
Quote from Scawen :Well, a "few hours" turned into quite a few days. So, sorry about the delay to other things.

Thank you for using your precious time to update that!
Attached images
lfs_00000988.jpg
Thanks Scawen for another interesting update, i noticed that bikes tend to take some corners very wide and ends up on the grass and then in the big pile they cant reset for some reason lol.

Quote from Drifteris :Thanks Scawen for another interesting update, i noticed that bikes tend to take some corners very wide and ends up on the grass and then in the big pile they cant reset for some reason lol.

Thanks for the video. Big grin

I think they initially run wide as a result of pulling out to pass another bike, which causes problems if they end up on the grass. I'd be interested to know if any AI take a corner too wide when they are not behind another vehicle.

The inability to reset is because LFS thinks they might spawn in the way of another vehicle, but it looks as if that code needs to be adjusted. For example it's not really an issue if the other vehicle isn't moving.
Quote from BeNoM :Same here, have to disable redirect to download mods.

Quote from bayanofmansorofisky :Yep there's issue with japan servers i guess, mods will not download (i always get redirecting to jp).. Now mods downloading after disabling redirect.

Victor has rebooted the server in Japan so hopefully it should run smoothly again.

At least, I can start a host in Japan and join it now. I haven't tested mod redirecting.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the video. Big grin

I think they initially run wide as a result of pulling out to pass another bike, which causes problems if they end up on the grass. I'd be interested to know if any AI take a corner too wide when they are not behind another vehicle.

The inability to reset is because LFS thinks they might spawn in the way of another vehicle, but it looks as if that code needs to be adjusted. For example it's not really an issue if the other vehicle isn't moving.

The AI reset is not working very well to say the least. I admit from time to time I set up a offline race full of AI and I just watch for the mess. It relaxes me, I know it is strange. Do we need better or not? Not sure but they are a lot of situation not handled properly, like reset wife or declare race ended after a while. No fuel auto spectate after some time should be auto DNF. Stuck for more than a minute auto reset or DNF...
Scawen thank you for the updates!
It looks like it's coming along nicely.
I ran some laps with a single motorcycle last night and it was pretty decent following them around.

I am stoked to hear you are taking motorcycles into consideration on the new tire physics, whatta guy you are.
Thanks for the feedback. I've released D38 with three changes to much improve the mass pileup issue.

AI should be less likely to try passing in braking zones
FIX: AI can now reset if in contact with a stationary vehicle
FIX: AI will not cut engine after 40 seconds waiting to reset

I hope it doesn't break anything! The 'FIX' items are easy to test but it's a lot harder for me to test and confirm the results of the passing improvement. I think they make fewer bad passes because they take into account their predicted lower speed because they are braking. Although I did still see a pass that was obviously a bad idea, so I'm not certain how much better it is.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117

EDIT: The fix "AI can now reset if in contact with a stationary vehicle" will not work if you are online, until new servers are released. That is because when online the "safe to reset" decision is made on the server.
Yes they can recover from mass pile ups now, however i think the main issue is that they don't know how to take sharper turns. There is a group of bikes on track and they overtake them on the left which puts them on a sharper left hand turn and they just can't do it Big grin

Them not knowing how to take a sharper turn causes those wide turns under braking as well. Maybe tell them to lean more if they are far from racing line? Uhmm

Is there a way I can set up the grid so that situation happens nearly every time?

A reliable reproduction method with the smallest possible grid would be helpful so I can use speedup in the debug version. The debug version of the code runs a lot slower.
Quote from Scawen :Is there a way I can set up the grid so that situation happens nearly every time?

A reliable reproduction method with the smallest possible grid would be helpful so I can use speedup in the debug version. The debug version of the code runs a lot slower.

6 REAPER X1 bikes at Westhill international, using stock setup. Almost every time someone will take wrong line and end up not being able to take the corner.
All right, thanks.
What if they got the path wrong in Patch D37 and now retry the same path in D38? Maybe a fast fix for this could be to delete the .knw file(which was generated in D37) and make Ai recalculate a new path(in D38)?

I tried a few laps on International and they seemed to be doing good. (I generated the paths in patch D38).

One thing I noticed is that they start a bit differently.

Check Ai 5 on both SPRs. On start1.spr they crash with Ai 6 and make chaos, on start2.spr they hit a little, but do not cause a scene. Strange, do they improve themselves? Are they that smart? Lol.

Edit: BTW. They are driving with Chimera X1. Will try Reaper X1 in a minute.
Edit 2: I tried Reaper X1 and Ai did well on that corner.
These are the coordinates for that corner: /cp 41032011 -62634781 2843367 -30054 2407 0.0 52.8

My D38 WE2_C5241.knw (Chimera X1) - https://easyupload.io/r05cii
My D38 WE2_A08E47.knw (Reaper X1) - https://easyupload.io/8b3har
Attached files
start1.spr - 3 MB - 59 views
start2.spr - 3.2 MB - 55 views
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG