The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Is the AI improvement really necessary after such a long time?

No hard feelings just really curious whats behind all these improvements.

I dont know anyone who plays singleplayer whit AIs especially not bike racing,multiplayer is the thing everyone plays not singleplayer, i find it useless quite a bit.

So many improvements can be done in multiplayer that would make much more sense rather than seeing ai bike crashing
I know what you mean, but I tried to explain how this happened.

You can read it here: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/2057919#post2057919

It's about how the mods were seriously missing something, and one thing led to another, and.......

As usual, what I end up doing isn't planned, but I'm rolling with it, to get a load of stuff done.

The results I am getting are really good. AI is important. I believe you don't know anyone who is much interested in AI racing, but the nature of people who race AI is that they don't always, or maybe never want to race online.
Fair enough
Quote from Scawen :Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't enable an MPR-style view in F11/F12 when watching an SPR?

I have a theory why it could've been thought as a good idea years ago: could hotlaps have been a reason why those views have been disabled? By disabling them, if user downloaded a hotlap replay from LFSWorld, they could not get more data from setup that user has used? I'm thinking this as a reason because if you try to test drive from watching an SPR, you still can't view F11/F12 windows. And this restriction applies to all kind of single player sessions, whether they are single player races or hotlaps.

I don't see any other reason for that than this.

Quote from tankslacno :1) Possible bug when renaming a replay:
If I try to rename a replay on LFS by simply changing a letter from lowercase to uppercase (or vice-versa), it doesn't allow me to do that. Instead it says that the "Name is already used".

I also want to state that this same situation happens when you try to rename a skin or a setup. It doesn't allow you to rename them in-game if you're merely changing a letter's case from one or more letters of that name.
Quote from Viperakecske :Is the AI improvement really necessary after such a long time?

No hard feelings just really curious whats behind all these improvements.

I dont know anyone who plays singleplayer whit AIs especially not bike racing,multiplayer is the thing everyone plays not singleplayer, i find it useless quite a bit.

So many improvements can be done in multiplayer that would make much more sense rather than seeing ai bike crashing

It improves the game in general and gives more tools to have fun with. Traffic servers with AI in other games is really a thing, search for examples in Assetto Corsa.
The ability to make your own AI lines would help with this, making certain cars drive on certain lanes, etc. But i can recognize it's annoying to ask for more stuff, certainly when it distracts from development time that is being used sparingly.
An idea is to create groups of carsnot just favourite for ppl to sort out different league race cars etc 😊
Quote from tankslacno :...could hotlaps have been a reason why those views have been disabled? By disabling them, if user downloaded a hotlap replay from LFSWorld, they could not get more data from setup that user has used? I'm thinking this as a reason because if you try to test drive from watching an SPR, you still can't view F11/F12 windows. And this restriction applies to all kind of single player sessions, whether they are single player races or hotlaps.

Yes, maybe this is the reason.

But I think that purpose can now be covered by other means, as F11 and F12 views in "remote car" mode (as seen in an MPR and other people's vehicle online) is sufficiently restricted.

As far as I can see, it only reveals tyre choice, fuel level and handicaps, but no real setup info.

So I think should be fine for hotlaps and SPR if it uses the view already designed for remote cars.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, maybe this is the reason.

But I think that purpose can now be covered by other means, as F11 and F12 views in "remote car" mode (as seen in an MPR and other people's vehicle online) is sufficiently restricted.

As far as I can see, it only reveals tyre choice, fuel level and handicaps, but no real setup info.

So I think should be fine for hotlaps and SPR if it uses the view already designed for remote cars.

I'm just wondering, what about test drives? Could it be possible to make a condition, where LFS checks who was the creator of that SPR (whether is it hotlap or session with it AI's)? If it matches the current username in use in-game, then those F11/F12 windows would be enabled in test drive. Otherwise, they would be disabled.

In any case, I don't see any reason, why they've been disabled even when you're test driving from SPR of your own hotlap/single player session.
it doesn't make much sense to me when you had the (now dead) replay analyzer giving you way more info on user's setup etc, but at the same time i'm fine with the current functionality
Quote from Viperakecske :multiplayer is the thing everyone plays not singleplayer

I play Single Player with AIs. I drive the BF1 with 4 AIs. The AIs sometimes crashed before the update and they also crash after the update. I have smooth graphics in single player with a FreeSync Monitor. This doesn't work in Multiplayer. The players in multiplayer have very high skills. I guess to get these skills, you need training in the single player mode. I need training in the single player mode.
Quote from matze54564 :I play Single Player with AIs. I drive the BF1 with 4 AIs. The AIs sometimes crashed before the update and they also crash after the update. I have smooth graphics in single player with a FreeSync Monitor. This doesn't work in Multiplayer. The players in multiplayer have very high skills. I guess to get these skills, you need training in the single player mode. I need training in the single player mode.

The thing is ur not gonna learn much from singleplayer driving,maybe some sense of car handling but thats it really,ai behaviour is nothing like real drivers.

If u want to improve on ur skills u have to do laps online,spectate faster guys copy their braking accelerating turn in ask questions maybe some would help.

Id say even downloading wr replays on that specific combo and see what the guy did.

Only problem whit the guys online is if u block them on track they will get mad ( including me Looney )

Singleplayer is not the place for learning.
Quote from matze54564 :I play Single Player with AIs. I drive the BF1 with 4 AIs. The AIs sometimes crashed before the update and they also crash after the update. I have smooth graphics in single player with a FreeSync Monitor. This doesn't work in Multiplayer. The players in multiplayer have very high skills. I guess to get these skills, you need training in the single player mode. I need training in the single player mode.

You have every right to play single player!
You could find some multiplayer that goes fine with not very fast player and make good improvements but you don't have to and that's cool.
Quote from loopingz :You have every right to play single player!
You could find some multiplayer that goes fine with not very fast player and make good improvements but you don't have to and that's cool.

Smile Thank you very much Loopingz.

Quote from Viperakecske : Singleplayer is not the place for learning.

Big grin I say this without animosity or provocation. Please, try not to take it the wrong way. This is a little off-topic in relation to the patch, but it's been tickling me for a while.

Everyone has their reasons, occasional or permanent, for not playing online. Sometimes lack of time is enough. But the use of AI is not limited to solo racers and learning. You can play against the AI to relax. Nobody is relaxed with mad people who want to run you off the track, or give you a driving lesson (when they have never driven a real car in their life). LFS is a game. Is this prohibited to just have fun with ? What kind of existence do you have to be able to imagine that LFS is something truly competitive? A place where some are there to teach and others to learn ! A group of great keyboard VIPs here to educate the noobs! It's crazy Face -> palm.

I'm one of the uncompetitive people online who rides with a mushroom picker setup and I'm way too fast for the AI. Guess what bothers me the most?

Better AI would make this game more popular. The first to benefit would be online racers, because the servers would mathematically attract more people and perhaps, no offence to the vipers, better trained and motivated. Better AI will benefit LFS and all its users. (I know that this exceeds the ambition of this patch and that the priorities lie elsewhere).

More generally, it is wrong to believe that on one side there are good racers with their online statistics, their world records (Big grin and their various little tips and tricks to play who has the biggest?) and on the other, the trolls who have nothing to do here, and who slow down the development of LFS with their absurd and useless demands.

Unfortunately, no one has the power to decide that a game is massively multiplayer. Some visionary developers can work hard to create a great multiplayer game, and fight to keep it that way. The public will use this game because of its best asset. I'm not sure, for various reasons that deserve to be analysed in details (and without spoiling the discussion), that multiplayer is LFS's best asset today.

This is why improving the AI seems more important today than before (like the mod system which was not in the DNA of LFS from day one, but which now gives a little oxygen).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To return to patch D40.
The iA is much better, undeniably. And I'm already very happy with that.
There are still some small points that I don't know if the patch can easily help fix (but I can live with).

* AI driving is more realistic and their times more constant. The AI is also more uniform in these behaviours. Is it possible to accentuate the personality of the virtual drivers a little, with more varied aggression or abilities in the same level group?

* The AI seems faster with modified cars than with LFS cars. (Or I drive mods even worse than LFS cars Big grin) Is it possible that AI driven LFS cars are as competitive as mods?

* In races with different cars, the AI seems slower (too slow). Would it be possible to take advantage of this patch to speed up the AI's ?
im not gonna read it sry
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin :I'm way too fast for the AI

The BF1 AIs are really fast in the Pro Mode. Fast enough for me. But i drive not much at time, maybe when i have more training i will be faster than the First Position AI..... I start always in the last position. And using the slipstream for taking over means not that i am fasterSmile.
Quote from johneysvk :how nice of you to accomodate for my lack of understanding of english language

Unfortunately, my level of English does not allow me to evaluate yours. I was just trying to make your job easier. I know, from our previous discussions, how precious your time is. Big grin
Quote from matze54564 :The BF1 AIs are really fast in the Pro Mode. Fast enough for me. But i drive not much at time, maybe when i have more training i will be faster than the First Position AI..... I start always in the last position. And using the slipstream for taking over means not that i am fasterSmile.

For my part, I confine myself to turbos and GTRs.
Big grin It's very likely that the AI will leave me behind with the BF1, which I haven't tried in many, many years.
I rarely drive and have my phone within reach. I'm not the ideal companion for online races...hence the need for AI.

I do like you. I always start in last position. I rarely completed the race before the mod system. I get bored from the first lap without anyone in front. With the mod system I tinker with cars adapted to my level. You can do the same thing very easily.
weow, AI getting some much needed attention is sick 👍
How do we fix fps stuttering when someone leaves the pit whit mod car?
Quote from Viperakecske :How do we fix fps stuttering when someone leaves the pit whit mod car?

Yeah that would also be a welcome update. On my PC I have no trouble with it at all, but on my laptop which is roughly just above 60FPS the hiccups are certainly noticeable.
Well i locked fps to 240 and its stable... but sometime it stutters for a split second and its quite annoying
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG