The online racing simulator
Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
Not every player will check a mod for unrealistic values.
It makes it difficult to interpret players feedback.

Perhaps some bike mods with good/realistic physic settings should be selected for testing?
Quote from Scawen :I understand why you chose to use unrealistic settings before, even if I don't agree with that approach.

To make a good mod in the proper way, the thing is to get as accurate values and settings as possible. If there are physical problems it's really my job to sort that out by improving the physics model. I do understand slight tweaks to mods to deal with imperfect physics.

But the mod still has massive downforce now, even after the steering model changes. Speaking as a mod user (not as a developer) I'd like to explain that makes me simply not want to use the mod at all. No bike in the world has F1-style downforce, as it's impossible. In my opinion the undertray should be deleted, the downforce set to zero and then work on the bike's geometry, mass, weight distribution, suspension, drag, etc. to make it as near to a real 600 as possible, then it will be a fun mod to use.

I've been playing your sim for 17 years, I trust your opinion. I'll make the changes.
I support both realistic and conceptual things, as all of them are based on simulation and not a real thing.
-
([OD]Jardim) DELETED by Scawen : off topic
In Westhill Karting National a lot of the AI cars go out on the second turn. I don't know if this is the correct place to report this.
-
(R34Subie) DELETED by Scawen : off topic
-
(Rob2003) DELETED by Rob2003 : Not test patch related...
New steering model test (D46)
Hi Scawen, nothing to report, but attached is a replay of a moto3 inspired bike I have been developing. The new steering model has made riding much more enjoyable! You can see in the replay that the rider leans with the bike, but the animation gets wrecked when hitting a curb. Loving it anyway! Thanks.
Attached files
Westhill_moto test.spr - 110.4 KB - 69 views
Quote from racer35 :Hi Scawen, nothing to report, but attached is a replay of a moto3 inspired bike I have been developing. The new steering model has made riding much more enjoyable! You can see in the replay that the rider leans with the bike, but the animation gets wrecked when hitting a curb. Loving it anyway! Thanks.

In order for the replay to work for everyone, you need to include the your mod files from the mods/vehicles/[mod name] folder.
D48 makes game crash always and i dont know why.i tried reinstalling patch and reinstalling game but still happens,when pitting alot it wont crash that fast.any help or will you guys fix in d49?
I've never had a single crash of lfs, also not in this patch, it works flawless for me. It might be worth posting the crash log details. Maybe someone can explain how to do it.
Quote from rane_nbg :I've never had a single crash of lfs, also not in this patch, it works flawless for me. It might be worth posting the crash log details. Maybe someone can explain how to do it.

Yeah i got no idea where it is even and its 1 am so like 4 pm or sooner can post it
thanks men!, i'm was having the problem to dowload mods, was super slow but when i extract your patch to lfs dir it worked perfectly, now i have to wait just 3 seconds to dowload. Thanks again!
Scawen, after you made changes to the behavior of the bots, they began to go even slower. Maybe it is possible to make some kind of scam bots that will use alternative accelerated physics or reduced weight of the car?
Quote from dvd14 :Scawen, after you made changes to the behavior of the bots, they began to go even slower. Maybe it is possible to make some kind of scam bots that will use alternative accelerated physics or reduced weight of the car?

Are you sure? According to the tests here, the bots are going faster now.
Quote from dvd14 :Scawen, after you made changes to the behavior of the bots, they began to go even slower. Maybe it is possible to make some kind of scam bots that will use alternative accelerated physics or reduced weight of the car?

Between the first AI patch and the last one, bots have been slowed down a bit. But they are faster and more competitive than before the AI patches.

Smile Having the bots drive modified cars (in weight, downforce and engine speed, suspensions etc.) works well for lap time.

The problem is that with the current trajectories and acceleration and braking points, the bots go faster in a straight line, but still lose a lot of time in turns. Even if their behaviour has been greatly improved by the patches.
This is why I suggested an alternative mod for creating AIs trajectories do or modified by the player.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/2065857#post2065857

(This obviously exceeds the ambition of the AI patches and is of much lower interest than the other expected updates. But maybe for later...)
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :Are you sure? According to the tests here, the bots are going faster now.

Did not watch. The thing is that before I was a little faster than the bots, and on some cars I was a little slower (for example: Formula BMW). I haven't played racing for over a month. I installed the D48 patch and now I'm much faster than the bots.
I also tested the bot on an FZR car on the Aston Grand Touring track (from a standing start). If I'm not confusing anything, the old result is 2:47:84. New 2:50:55.
The AI have had many improvements that mean they can get around in most vehicles on most tracks. They have an adaption system that deals with brake balance etc. (you may read the thread, it's long).

Previously they were very optimised for the LFS vehicles and not adaptable enough for mods. So it's possible that for some LFS vehicles, they are now slower, because of the small safety margins they must leave in order to not crash so many mods as they did before.

But...

1) Your thought of "scam bots" is totally against my philosophy of game production. I have no interest in giving AI extra grip or fake physics or whatever. One thing I learned is that I am nearly incapable of working on things that I'm not interested in, especially when the work is so intellectually demanding as coding. The AI in LFS use the same physics as the player.

2) This is not a good time for me to waste more time, trying to make AI faster in the old (current public) physics system. If you had followed the thread, you would know that I am trying to release this update as an official version, so I can finally work on the version of LFS we are all waiting for, which has new tyre physics and AI that is already adapted to that new physics. So as I keep saying, I'm not working on the speed of AI in the current public version, fake physics for AI (never will do that in my life) or any other physics changes. There were some slight physics changes done to make the bike handle better, but I'm sure I made it clear that's as far as I was going.

So... to summarize any relevant point, it is possible that official cars or some mods actually run slower, but as mentioned, the mods in general can actually stay on track instead of spinning off at any tricky corner.
OK. Scawen, thank you for your work! I'm looking forward to the big update!)
Quote from dvd14 :Did not watch. The thing is that before I was a little faster than the bots, and on some cars I was a little slower (for example: Formula BMW). I haven't played racing for over a month. I installed the D48 patch and now I'm much faster than the bots.
I also tested the bot on an FZR car on the Aston Grand Touring track (from a standing start). If I'm not confusing anything, the old result is 2:47:84. New 2:50:55.

Maybe try re-generating KNW files in LFS version D48
-
(agustinipsa) DELETED by agustinipsa
-
(Scawen) DELETED by Scawen : reply to off topic post that is now deleted
i have a question, why not installing the update IN the game, instead of making a file for people to download?
Come on guys, I'm trying to work and could do without these off topic questions.

It's a test patch. Usually I don't prepare the whole auto updater system, just to stick up a test patch. It takes far too long to do.

Please, report problems with the test patch or don't comment here.
We are getting near the next test patch, which will be semi-compatible (same physics and graphics, new mod options).

I've updated the change log in the first post, to bring all the updates from D to D48 into the same list.

I hope it makes sense. I feel a bit like this: Ya right

D to D48: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117
Quote from Scawen :We are getting near the next test patch, which will be semi-compatible (same physics and graphics, new mod options).

I've updated the change log in the first post, to bring all the updates from D to D48 into the same list.

I hope it makes sense. I feel a bit like this: Ya right

D to D48: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102117

That is insane indeed Smile ! No particular issue for me : LFS 0.7D48 runs great as intended, and AI is a lot better (obviously).
wow at that list, the most impressive I have seen since I joined in 2008
thumbs up that is a great update
This thread is closed

Test Patch D4 (now D48)
(704 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG