The online racing simulator
oval racing
(140 posts, started )

Poll : OVAL???

i occasionaly race on ovals
i dont myself but arent bothered if no1 else does
i cant stand ovals
i am obsessed with ovals
Quote from Becky Rose :Now come on, I never slagged off oval racing. On telly i've even watched some - but they dont go letting each other past all the time. This seems LFS specific, and I dont get it.

It is because LFS doesn't do oval drafting correctly. Come on you Nascar fans, pipe up, I know you are out there. In oval racing in the draft in LFS, the 2nd car seems to go faster because there is less wind resistance. This isn't how it is in the draft IRL. IRL, the first car breaks the wind and the low pressure behind pulls the 2nd car. As the 2nd car pulls close to the lead car, it pushes the lead car into going faster, thus both cars run fast. This is why in Nascar you see the leaders waving their hands to tell everyone to line up. You also see a lead pack of 5-6-7 cars break away from the 2 wide racing behind them quite easily. IRL, it would be very difficult for the 2nd car to pull out of the draft and just blast past into the lead. It would need cars behind it pushing to get past. You see it all the time in Nascar. Two lines of cars bumper to bumper and someone pulls out to pass. No one goes with them and they just fall backwards at an incredible rate. This is why they can move from leading, to last place at Daytona and Talladega within 1 lap. Unless drafting with open wheelers are completely different to tin tops .

I LOVE oval racing. I also LOVE the road racing in LFS. Thus I still have Nascar Racing 2003 installed. If LFS wasn't so easy to jump online with, I probably would race NR2003 more often. I've never raced it online though. LFS was my first experience with online and it is just too easy to get there. I would love LFS to have proper speedway drafting as well as the proper oval setup options like weight bias and tire stagger. Until we have these, oval racing stinks in LFS.

The draft and blast by, then draft and blast by..... is so ridiculous. I don't know how anyone can enjoy that. The skill in oval racing is picking the car(s) you want to hook up with and utilizing them to your advantage in PUSHING you to the front, not whipping around them to the front.

You should be able to move over and block a move without a major incident. You should also be able to break the draft to escape a near future passing attempt. You do either of this in LFS and you will have either a catastrophic crash as the car behind unrealistically blasts past or loose everyone and finish half a lap down.
Nighthawk nailed it. The draft is too damn big and there's no way to shake off the cars behind you. No strategy until the last turn of the last lap.
Oval racing in LFS is in its current form I'd imagine simply because as it is, the breaking car (I'm not going to say "breaking wind".. whoops, oh damn :\) doesn't speed up while getting drafted. In the future, when LFS' aerodynamics improve and this detail is accounted for I suspect oval racing might become more realistic. It'll be fun when it happens
Quote from ajp71 :There was once a XF GTI oval server, it was packed for about a week then forgotten about, I had some of the best sim racing I ever had on that server, it was simply great fun, obviously all flat without a problem but really close 3 wide all the way with a shorter oval it would be even more fun. Other than that one server the only worthwhile oval sim racing I've done has been pick up racing in N2003.

That might have been my server. I like the XF, or for really close racing and drafting especially, the MRT.
Quote from jayhawk :That might have been my server. I like the XF, or for really close racing and drafting especially, the MRT.

Fancy putting it back up with the XF GTI and post the server details? Maybe we could arrange a time to meet on it as well
Quote from ajp71 :Fancy putting it back up with the XF GTI and post the server details? Maybe we could arrange a time to meet on it as well

Sure!! I'll send you a PM when I'll have it up, probably Saturday @ 4-5PM GMT.
I ocassionally race on the oval. I think the oval can be fun, even with uf1000. Tactics are important then.

If people would race some more oval, in the smaller cars, I would too.
No fun in a Bf1, or the other open wheelers.
Quote from RacingSimFan :Nighthawk nailed it. The draft is too damn big and there's no way to shake off the cars behind you. No strategy until the last turn of the last lap.

YES THE DRAFT IS TOO BIG. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE TO SHAKE THE CARS BEHIND OFF. NEEDS SOME SKILL...

SOMETIMES (LIKE THIS AFTERNOON) WE LIKE TO HAVE SOME ONLINE NASCAR 2003. JUST ENTER VENTRILO (www.fragmaster.net/vt) TO RECEIVE THE IP-ADRESS.
nascar 2003 isnt free is it? lol
too poor to buy any games atm
Quote from ajp71 :In that sense you could have a 500 mile race down a wide straight road, it would get tedious very quickly, so add an unchallenging pair of flat out left handers :doh:

illepall
Its all about drafting and corners are a important part of that. As someone allready said youre more fighting with the other drivers then with the track. So in the end from my point of view, those who have made less misstakes in the hole race have more the right to win the race then the others. But the last lap and the actions there decides who will win. And drafting/passing is Art, its something that you cant learn from anyone or from a book, you have to do practice, sure there are basic things you have to do everytime but every situation is different and doing the correct action at every situation is important and the big goal for me personally. And with good partners you can build up speed every single lap and gain time/speed which is even more fun when you have 100% of fuel and more then 100 laps to go but the field and how everybody is working togehter is important.

and i agree with mrodgers at most of the points. But keep in mind LFS is alpha + openwheelers creates a totally different airflow then stock cars. Sure there should be still the slipstream effect while the second car pushes the car infront simple because they are connected (first car cuts the air and second car is in the shadow and therefore it has to deal with less forces then the first one ). Im not talking about bumping but about the effect that comes along with the draft. And i also missed the fact that you cant block the inside because the hole field would be faster then but this kind of drafting is still fun even if its not perfect. Its only boring when you cant handle it (2 cars minimum building up speed constantly lap for lap)
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :nascar 2003 isnt free is it? lol
too poor to buy any games atm

It depends (well, not "free"). If you are talking Papy's Nascar Racing 2003 (there are others), I found my copy just before finding and trying LFS. I found I think 98 copies for $6.95 each in a closeout store. At the time, NR2003 was going for $35-65 on ebay. Now I see it in the sealed factory box on ebay with 9 bids up to $102.50. Now if I would have only had the money to buy them out.... They had 98 copies I think, 98 x $6.95 = $681.10, take that off of 98 x $102.50, that would have been a nice $9363.90 profit .
yea, if i have bought 20.000 liters of fuel before 9/11 or even before afghanistan, i would be rich when i would sell it now....
back to topic:

yep LFS is not NASCAR, however, if the physics and aeros are getting closer, Which ****ing league is the only one that actually did a nascar structure?
Becky, just read your website.

If you catch ZWR's server up with the oval, feel free to join us. We actually encourage dogfights
It's a sound pack - it uses outgauge to play some samples over the engine. But I think it sounds rubbish (no offence, sorry Yamakawa, but it needs more work). The more hyped sound mod thingy, which is done on the same principle, seems to sound a lot lot lot better, but I guess they've taken weeks not days working on it.
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Becky, just read your website.

If you catch ZWR's server up with the oval, feel free to join us. We actually encourage dogfights

Great so your planning on making the oval community even worse than it already is.
Quote from nutty boy :Great so your planning on making the oval community even worse than it already is.

if this is a personal thing, please pm him, same to the comment you have made on the ZWR Radio Station Thread. Thanks alot.
Quote from nutty boy :Great so your planning on making the oval community even worse than it already is.

whats that meant to mean, theres not a thing wrong with it.
there are only 3 things wrong with oval & lfs:

1. Theres only one Oval
2. Theres no Stock(-)Car to really enjoy it
3. The draft settings are not quite realistic so far
And: More options with the setups needed. Different tires on all 4 ends, different suspension settings for left/right side and so on.....
#74 - Jakg
Quote from Captain Slow :whats that meant to mean, theres not a thing wrong with it.

he said community, and there definately are problems there
Quote from Crazy Harry :different suspension settings for left/right side and so on.....

I thought S2 had this?

oval racing
(140 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG