The online racing simulator
Electric Motors Limit
(14 posts, started )
#1 - KD14
Electric Motors Limit
Tried choosing 'Electric Motor' in the transmission option, then fiddled with the engine editor and noticed the sliders go only to 500kw and 1000nm.
Is there anyway to change that?
Is it realistic to have single motor over 500 kw though?
Quote from NumberTwo :Is it realistic to have single motor over 500 kw though?

Not really, you would sooner find dual/quad engined drive than a single 500kW motor
#4 - gu3st
Yeah like the Porsche Mission R has a rear motor thats about 500kW (600~ HP) and a front that's about 300kW (400HP)
You would be right with Porsche, even though it is only in qualy mode, so that would probably mean just short bursts.

Rimac nevera, currently strongest production car, has cca 350 kw x 4 motors.

Considering this is racing sim and it should be future proof, i guess I'm going to contradict my first post and agree with OP that stronger electric engines should be allowed in LFS.
It's called a patch or an update. LFS can be updated when stronger motors exist in real world. Wink

Quote from NumberTwo :You would be right with Porsche, even though it is only in qualy mode, so that would probably mean just short bursts.

Rimac nevera, currently strongest production car, has cca 350 kw x 4 motors.

Considering this is racing sim and it should be future proof, i guess I'm going to contradict my first post and agree with OP that stronger electric engines should be allowed in LFS.

So bad argument that I had to actually post. It's like not adding any new track environment content because racing with XR GT Turbo car on that area doesn't exist in real life.

Sim this, sim that... sim everything...

...can't do this or add this because does not exist in real life... can't add myself into game because I am not simulated in real life.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :So bad argument that I had to actually post. It's like not adding any new track environment content because racing with XR GT Turbo car on that area doesn't exist in real life.

Sim this, sim that... sim everything...

...can't do this or add this because does not exist in real life... can't add myself into game because I am not simulated in real life.

It's not a future simulator, it's a racing simulator using real world data from right now, not what theoretically could exist at some point in time and space.
#9 - Ped7g
The existing limits in games are often based on underlying technology, ie. the programmer usually try what largest value still works correctly and then uses something slightly lower as limit.

Maybe it was just some limit which did look right to Scawen and can be easily raised, but with 100Hz physics engine and current tires I wouldn't be completely shocked if the limit is actually near what the engine simulates reasonably and going beyond it would cause some stuff to break.

That said the 1000Hz physics experiment may help a bit with some cumulative integration errors making the physics less prone to "explode", although it will also make many values to operate in smaller values which may lose some precision on bottom instead, causing new issues elsewhere.

But I would guess (with very limited knowledge, I did myself only trivial physics simulations, nowhere near the car-physics) something like very strong engine may be one of those points where 1000Hz is slightly more stable than 100Hz simulation.

EDIT: or maybe this is not related to physics simulation at all and 500kW limit was just nice for the UI/editor.
Quote from booplesnoot :It's not a future simulator, it's a racing simulator using real world data from right now, not what theoretically could exist at some point in time and space.

Yes. Go to real life Blackwood and see what kind of real world telemetry you could get from your XRT.

Pointless... Later --->
Quote from Ped7g :The existing limits in games are often based on underlying technology, ie. the programmer usually try what largest value still works correctly and then uses something slightly lower as limit.

Maybe it was just some limit which did look right to Scawen and can be easily raised, but with 100Hz physics engine and current tires I wouldn't be completely shocked if the limit is actually near what the engine simulates reasonably and going beyond it would cause some stuff to break.

That said the 1000Hz physics experiment may help a bit with some cumulative integration errors making the physics less prone to "explode", although it will also make many values to operate in smaller values which may lose some precision on bottom instead, causing new issues elsewhere.

But I would guess (with very limited knowledge, I did myself only trivial physics simulations, nowhere near the car-physics) something like very strong engine may be one of those points where 1000Hz is slightly more stable than 100Hz simulation.

EDIT: or maybe this is not related to physics simulation at all and 500kW limit was just nice for the UI/editor.

Which 500kW is a good limit for the aforementioned Porsche while in "Race" mode. It is only insufficent while in quali mode where the power is basically doubled.
If you know how to use the hex editor, you can edit the engine files and go beyond the limits of the LFS Editor, I made a car to test, trying to simulate the Tesla Model S Plaid

https://www.lfs.net/files/vehmods/E3BBA6
#13 - KD14
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Yes. Go to real life Blackwood and see what kind of real world telemetry you could get from your XRT.

Pointless... Later --->

The tyre simulation is based on real world data, as is the other simulations inside LFS. You can make a simulator with real data and have fictional locations and venues made with the real world data.

Sorry to have broken your brain with intellect. The internet has made that easy to do these days, everyone thinks they are the expert.

Electric Motors Limit
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG