The online racing simulator
Hi,

I'm wondering if the following is possible, either in lfs or with the use of a firewall. I hope someone can help me.

For a league in the near future, me and my teammate need to practice, but we don't want the other pilots to see our recorded times (pb's) or laps driven on a particular combo.

Is there a way to start a server on the internet (private and password protected) where one could connect on, and race, but were pb's and number of laps aren't sent to lfsworld or the master server?

I know there is a hidden server possible, but pb's and # of laps are still recorded and sent to lfsworld.

Can those data be blocked or disabled in lfs or via firewall?
#52 - Jakg
not with a firewall at least, and i dont think theres an option in LFS

PS - why?
Set lfsworld profile to private until after the race?
Heeelp
Hi all i have a few questions , maybe one of you can help me ( angel ) . I just got a root server today with Windows Server 2003 . I want to host 3-4 LFS Servers at a time , and then as soon as i start the second dedicated server it says : Warning : another instance of LFS is running . Is that normal ? Do i have to change anything when i want to host 3-4 LFS Servers at a time ?
All you have to do is change the port that each server runs on, making sure they're all different. As for the Warning, don't worry about it :up:
Well i knew about the ports , only i was a little confused why that showed up . By the way , how many lfs servers do you think i can host without having lag ? :bike:

AMD Opteron™ Prozessor 146
800 MHz HyperTransport™ Technology Speed
1 MB L2-Cache
64-Bit-Technologie
2 x 120 GB, S-ATA, RAID1*
2 GB DIMM Infineon Chip

Greetz , W1ldPort
Quote from W1ldPort75 :.. how many lfs servers do you think i can host without having lag ?

You will be limited by bandwidth, not cpu cycles. That computer could probably run 100 LFS servers simultaneously.

One 20-slot server should need from about ~1mbit upload speed at 3 pps to ~2mbit at 6 pps.
I have setup a dedicated server on one of my LAN PC's. But when I attempt a direct connect with an S2 client, it fails with the following messages

1) If attempting LAN connect ... says "Did not receive track info"
2) If attempting Internet connection ... says "Host has a different game code"

... This is my first attempt with a dedicated server. Have i done something obvious wrong?
@ Filur
I have a rootserver from t-online (telekom germany) at 100 Mbits . Are you saying that i can host 20 lfs servers with no probs ??? That would be crazy
Quote from W1ldPort75 :@ Filur
I have a rootserver from t-online (telekom germany) at 100 Mbits . Are you saying that i can host 20 lfs servers with no probs ??? That would be crazy

I may have exaggerated just a little bit since the computer specs you posted were so ridiculously overqualified for running a few LFS servers, but you could still probably host alot more servers then you'd need for yourself.

To be honest i'm not sure what usage you'd get with 20 full grid servers at full pps, but hosting a 'normal' amount of servers, maybe 5, maybe 8, .. should definitely not be a problem.
Hello! I've made my server and now i want to run it on startup. I've made .bat file. It works fine but i would like that cmd prompt close after server starts. How could i do that?
Quote from modman :Hello! I've made my server and now i want to run it on startup. I've made .bat file. It works fine but i would like that cmd prompt close after server starts. How could i do that?

Either use a shortcut with appropriate parameters instead of the .bat file, or run the server from the .bat with the command start.

start e:\lfs\server\lfs.exe

Thanks!
Hello,

A big thanks to the_angry_angel for his tutorial

I'm trying to set a dedicate server on a linux box.
When I start the server, everything works fine.
When some racers are connect, after a couple of minutes, the racers can't see each other. We can still drive on track but don't see anybody, but we can talk.
If I quit the server, I can't join it again. I have to kill the server, launch it and everything works fine again (for a couple of minutes if racers play on it...)
I have hosted a dedicate server on a XP box and it works fine, then it's not a router config problem...
Here is my config :
Debian etch
Wine 0.9.15
LFS Dedi U20

I saw on the forum that I'm not the only one who got this problem, but I didn't find the way to solve it.
Is anybody have an idea to fix it ?

Edit : The problem seems to be solved.
When launching wineconsole, wine try to open a warning window at startup, as I have no X server wine complain about it.
I did this in the .wine directory:
touch .no_prelaunch_window_flag
touch .no_debug_window_flag

Since I do this, everything is ok.
Hope this help.
I do , get a Windows Server and you wount have those problems , thats what i have
With the server, where are things like personal Best times stored ? First time on this circuit with car X etc ...

Thanks

BTW great tutorial ..
#67 - Jakg
LFSWorld...
Quote from apthomson :1) If attempting LAN connect ... says "Did not receive track info"
2) If attempting Internet connection ... says "Host has a different game code"

... This is my first attempt with a dedicated server. Have i done something obvious wrong?

Make sure that 2 versions are the same / compatible.

Quote from lagamel :I'm trying to set a dedicate server on a linux box.
When I start the server, everything works fine.
When some racers are connect, after a couple of minutes, the racers can't see each other. We can still drive on track but don't see anybody, but we can talk.
If I quit the server, I can't join it again. I have to kill the server, launch it and everything works fine again (for a couple of minutes if racers play on it...)

This is a known problem with Wine and LFS unfortunately I've not had a chance to truely pick things apart and find out whats causing the problem, perhaps one day. In this situation you can either do the /reinit trick (type that into a chat window as an admin), or setup a cron that kills and restarts the wine and lfs server processes.

Quote from lagamel :When launching wineconsole, wine try to open a warning window at startup, as I have no X server wine complain about it.
I did this in the .wine directory:
touch .no_prelaunch_window_flag
touch .no_debug_window_flag

Since I do this, everything is ok.
Hope this help.

:up:

Quote from Boxster3.4 :With the server, where are things like personal Best times stored ? First time on this circuit with car X etc ...

As Jakg says, they are typically stored on LFSWorld, although if you use LFSLapper or a similar mod, it will be where their data is stored (usually in the same directory as the program).
Dedicated server problem: need help
hi , hope ill fix this.. i have only one PC that do the dedicated server and play on it. Im using a speedstream 4200 modem from my internet provider but port cannot be forwarded on this modem so i bough and added a D-link DI-604 routeur to do the port setting. 63392 and 29339 are ok. i also did the windows firewall setting. Now i can play on my dedicated server in LAN and i can also see my server on LFSworld but not in the in-game internet server.(My server name : Quebec Drift Contest) ill let my server open.. but i cannot connect the server via internet it say Clientconnect : Connect Failed whats wrong? thx a lot
Sorry for my bad english
AFAIK it's not possible to connect to your own S2 license-running dedi server over the net. Dunno the technical reasons why you can on LAN but not over the internet. That's how I understand it though.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :AFAIK it's not possible to connect to your own S2 license-running dedi server over the net. Dunno the technical reasons why you can on LAN but not over the internet. That's how I understand it though.

That meen i can connect to my server by lan an other people can connect by internet at same time? :S can someone try to connect on : Quebec Drift Contest
thx
Nah what it means is that you run it as a dedi LAN server and join it yourself, or you host a non-dedi server via the LFS game client (Multiplayer> Start New Game). That means you _are_ the host. You can drive on the host, but if you exit it you will close the server.
but any guess why i cant see this dedicated in the ingame server list?
Are you sure you're forwarding the ports from the router to the correct computer? Bear in mind that if your network runs off DHCP (like most), then your local addresses can change.
Just installed a server, its up and running with LFSLapper.
BUT I cant add the welcome message line?

It says: "Parameter 30 is invalid" when I launch LFS.exe

/ P

Guide: Running an LFS Server
(666 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG