The online racing simulator
October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
Quote from Scawen :Work in progress screenshot of the bloom effect so far.

Yeah, that looks pretty good and lets the colour show through. Doesn't seem to be overdone either. Nice :-)
Looking very nice, will there be bloom at day as well?
Yea looks promising (just the right amount), any early result on performances footprints ?

Dunno if it's possible to make lens distortion effect only for car headlight bloom ?
Quote from Scawen :On topic, neither the UK alone nor the EU has been anywhere near strong enough on protecting the environment.

Yes, UK and EU could do a better job at protecting the enviorment, but hey - look at the bright side - there are countries who care very deeply about enviroment and are able to more than make up for our mistakes. Just take a look at that hearwarming video from Peru where they use cutting edge technology to recycle trash without polluting the enviroment, we could learn a thing or two from them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnMBGXVVUI

Wow, that looks natural! I tend to criticize these bloom effects in other games, as it's overdone most of the times and I always turn them off completely. But that's not the case this time - it looks great, I really like it!

Edit: Comparison for those who prefer it Smile : https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=68a7d412-01a8-11ea-b9b8-0edaf8f81e27
that's very nice !

With and without so you can see the effect.

Nice, I knew it would had depth to the image, even in LDR mode. Smile

In the HDR mode I think the headlights would have been even brighter compared to the street lamps, and the bloom would have shown it.

By the way, I don't know if that's already the case right now, but for the best results with auto-exposition, the bloom needs to use the buffer multiplied by exposure, so that the bloom is based on received camera intensity instead of "raw" luminance of this point in the world. Wink
Just wondering will we have also clouds with new lightning system?
I mean never saw clouds in pics with new lightning.
Quote from RC-Maus :Just wondering will we have also clouds with new lightning system?
I mean never saw clouds in pics with new lightning.

I guess that's the hardest thing to make right, I mean it's quite a challenge to fake clouds volumetric light diffusion plus the interaction with the sun spot without crippling performance to oblivion.

I drew (13 post) a bloom effect in Photoshop - Skawen added this, guys, how to draw new tire physics?
ps, a nice addition would be to have a photo mode with adjustable exposure, focus, etc.
But, at such a pace, it will only be by 2033.Uhmm

As lighting is the topic, then maybe it's the right time to bring this up another timeSmile Posted 3.5 years ago:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1911585#post1911585

It would be really nice to finally have lights, indicators, brake-lights and also strobe-lights which are actually visible from the distance. Bloom effect is certainly a step in the right direction but may not be enough if this case.
Quote from Evolution_R :Looking very nice, will there be bloom at day as well?

I need to change the way the sun is drawn so it works properly with the bloom. Hoping to see some daylight results today.

Quote from nacim :In the HDR mode I think the headlights would have been even brighter compared to the street lamps, and the bloom would have shown it.

The way I've done it depends on HDR because I'm not using a threshold. The amount of bloom I set very quickly without thinking about it much. The car headlights don't yet have a surface brightness related to their beam strength so I guess that's why their bloom doesn't seem very bright.

About the method you originally mentioned with a link to GitHub, I couldn't get much information from GitHub but your description led me to this method described by Jasper Flick:
https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/advanced-rendering/bloom/

That's basically what I've done. Is that the same as the method you were talking about? I was surprised not to be able to find any other descriptions on the net.
This thread certainly took a wild turn.

Quote from chucknorris :As lighting is the topic, then maybe it's the right time to bring this up another timeSmile Posted 3.5 years ago:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1911585#post1911585

It would be really nice to finally have lights, indicators, brake-lights and also strobe-lights which are actually visible from the distance. Bloom effect is certainly a step in the right direction but may not be enough if this case.

I agree with this.

I don't have much else to say, other than keep it up. Me among a bunch of others can't wait for the release. When it does release, we all know what track I'll be playing.
Quote from Scawen :A few pictures of British 'recycling':
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=uk+plastic+malaysia&t=ffsb&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Well they kinda left it there on a big pile which was a mistake since it's not very effective. To get it fully recycled you need to dump it into a river. Then the trash will be carefuly transported to the oceans via natural system of canals, where it will begin a lenghty but effective recycling process away from the country of orgin. Still a good effort UK, but you need to take some notes ✍️
Quote from Scawen :The way I've done it depends on HDR because I'm not using a threshold.

If you are not using a threshold, what do you use ? Underexposure ?

Quote from Scawen :The amount of bloom I set very quickly without thinking about it much. The car headlights don't yet have a surface brightness related to their beam strength so I guess that's why their bloom doesn't seem very bright.

Oh okay, that makes sense.

Quote from Scawen :That's basically what I've done. Is that the same as the method you were talking about? I was surprised not to be able to find any other descriptions on the net.

Yeah that's the same method I was talking about. But now that you implemented that, you can look at the other github implementation (KinoBloom) to have some interesting bits added to it, like having an algorithm to compute the number of iterations depending on the radius, so that the bloom radius is independent of the resolution.
At the moment the worst problem I'm having is bright pixels caused by MSAA. I think it's related to triangles that are very oblique, then for some reason the GPU produces occasional super bright pixels that are far brighter than any vertex colour or texture colour.

Previously these have appeared as single white pixels so were not too disturbing, though they have been showing up more in night scenes. This is regardless of SDR / HDR mode, and they appear even with plain ambient diffuse lighting with direct lighting switched off. In SDR it renders straight to the backbuffer, so it's not related to render target textures. And it still happens if I switch off AF. The only thing that removes the bright pixels is switching off MSAA.

But now with bloom enabled the bright pixels have become quite a problem. They can be brighter than the sun and I'm getting quite a few of them every lap. The bloom causes them to be very noticeable.
Interesting. I would try to normalize the vertex normal in the pixel shader first, and check for holes in the geometry also. If your pixel shader just returns a uniform color, do you still have the problem ?
-
(Chriship) DELETED by Scawen : not helpful in the current on-topic or off-topic
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Evolution_R : ops
Quote from nacim :Interesting. I would try to normalize the vertex normal in the pixel shader first, and check for holes in the geometry also. If your pixel shader just returns a uniform color, do you still have the problem ?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction again.

It turns out the super bright pixels were caused by the Z value for the fog calculation. On some of the oblique triangles, at some precise camera positions that weren't easy to find, the value could go way out between vertex shader and pixel shader. That caused the lerp between calculated colour and fog colour to go to extremes. Fixed by clamping the result of exp() between 0 and 1 before the lerp.

There are still some bright pixels around I can look into but they aren't causing random blooms.
Interesting read about the development of implementing bloom, and the screenshot sure looks nice. You said something about the calculation of fog, does that mean that's also coming in a new patch? (or is it already included? Haven't played LFS for a while).
Quote from Bose321 :You said something about the calculation of fog, does that mean that's also coming in a new patch? (or is it already included? Haven't played LFS for a while).

There's already fog in public LFS but it is linear. The new version has exponential fog which is closer to reality. I'm not talking about thick fog, just the normal slight visibility reduction due to distance.

Anyway here's another couple of pictures. Note, Eric hasn't worked on the lighting in this version of Blackwood, it's just my test version with the lights switched on and things aren't really balanced correctly yet.
Attached images
BL_bloom_test_1.jpg
BL_bloom_test_2.jpg
Quote from Scawen :There's already fog in public LFS but it is linear. The new version has exponential fog which is closer to reality. I'm not talking about thick fog, just the normal slight visibility reduction due to distance.

Anyway here's another couple of pictures. Note, Eric hasn't worked on the lighting in this version of Blackwood, it's just my test version with the lights switched on and things aren't really balanced correctly yet.

Ah right that's what I meant indeed, cool.

Wow those two night shots are incredible! The bloom is looking amazing, especially for the lights in the distance, they have a realistic look. Keep up the great work!
Quote from Scawen :Anyway here's another couple of pictures. Note, Eric hasn't worked on the lighting in this version of Blackwood, it's just my test version with the lights switched on and things aren't really balanced correctly yet.

It still looks VERY NICE.
Very appealing !! Thumbs up
It's been said a few times but, this all looks very promising, and I'll do my best to be patient for when it's all good and ready.

It'll be fun to race at night, I sadly don't get to play too many racing sims with varying conditions, so being able to do so in LFS (finally) will be something.
This thread is closed

October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG