The online racing simulator
April Progress Report
(209 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :Hi guys, sorry but I don't think we can do a progress report every month now.

For my part I have been continuing with the lighting, and working on getting it to look right with the real time generated skies while preserving the look of the tracks.

I've looked at the albedo levels for various materials and adjusted the brightness to get the lighting right as we gradually move to a more physically based system.

I've been experimenting with a high dynamic range (HDR) render target (as an option). This involves rendering the image to a texture which uses a 16-bit floating point number for each colour channel of a pixel instead of the standard 8-bit gamma corrected integer. This has various advantages for lighting and can produce more realistic images. I've been trying some tone mapping functions that can be applied in the final post-processing stage where the HDR render target is output to 8-bit format for display on the screen.

There's more to do but not too much to talk about at the moment.

Yeah great, but no actual work to show, despite asking for money to aid development. You sound like David Brent, all talk, no results. If you were working for me, you'd be fired. Must have taken you 15 minutes to prepare a monthly progress report, but why bother. It's not like you overcharged LFS fans to fund development. Oh wait....

How much money did you take in on the promise of finishing this sim?

"albedo levels"

At least you haven't banned me for my frustration with being sold a lie (this time). It takes some character to abuse the core fans of what you have created. I've been here 12 years. I think that is loyalty that deserves a return.

If you are not bothered about seriously developing the sim, tell us. Be honest. A few shadows is great, but we want proper development, new cars, new tracks.

If you are not bothered, tell us and we will move on elsewhere. Don't promise bullshit and not deliver.

I paid $18 for Rockingham, thinking there was a new beginning for LFS, like there has been for rFactor 2, but it was just a lie to extract money from longtime LFS players.

What loyalty.

Meanwhile rFactor2 continues to provide us with monthly updates, dramatic updates such as laser-scanned Nordscheliefe and Le Mans, both coming withing two months. They also released 2019 Formula E last month.

LFS can't be bothered with that, too busy. But as we are all die-hard LFS fans, they will squeeze as much money from us as they can without contributing anything.
Quote from petercollins :A lot of useless,unconstructive and whiny blah blah

When you purchased LFS licence you bought the software "AS IS". There are no guaranteed updates,no promised content. So if you feel you wasted your money - it's your problem,you should have checked the situation better.
For what I have spent on LFS,I got way more fun than if I would spend the same amount on let's say rental karting. For 36 pounds I would get a 1 hour fun of that near Munich where I live,while I enjoy racing in LFS for over 10 years - and it's still fun,we're still having various races and no end of it is in sight.
Quote from petercollins :Yeah great, but no actual work to show, despite asking for money to aid development. You sound like David Brent, all talk, no results. If you were working for me, you'd be fired. Must have taken you 15 minutes to prepare a monthly progress report, but why bother. It's not like you overcharged LFS fans to fund development. Oh wait....

"albedo levels"

At least you haven't banned me for my frustration with being sold a lie (this time). It takes some character to abuse the core fans of what you have created. I've been here 12 years. I think that is loyalty that deserves a return.

If you are not bothered about seriously developing the sim, tell us. Be honest. A few shadows is great, but we want proper development, new cars, new tracks.

If you are not bothered, tell us and we will move on elsewhere. Don't promise bullshit and not deliver.

As you really seem to be obsessed over your purchase of S3 I'll try to give you two little things to think about. Maybe you can slowly calm down.

First of all and that is the important one Scawen stated in the news entry of the Rockingham / S3 Licence the followng post (https://www.lfs.net/news/978)

Quote :
We made the decision to release it now rather than waiting for the other content to be completed. Although S3 content is already being developed, we cannot provide a guarantee that it will be released. Please only buy an S3 license upgrade if you feel it's worth it to use Rockingham right now.

In my opinion that are quiet open and fair words.

My second point is that you got a track for 15$ which you sometimes have to pay in a game for DLC content.

Looking at my licence you see I did not buy it. I also don't drive much but I still like the game and the development here in general. If the new physics update comes I'll buy it, not earlier.
You lost your realism mate. But if you really can't live with what you got for your money up to this point and this was hardly earned money for you just leave me a PM and you'll get it from me.
Your text is form of I really don't need to read here.
Quote from petercollins :Yeah great, but no actual work to show, despite asking for money to aid development. You sound like David Brent, all talk, no results. If you were working for me, you'd be fired. Must have taken you 15 minutes to prepare a monthly progress report, but why bother. It's not like you overcharged LFS fans to fund development. Oh wait....

"albedo levels"

I paid $18 for Rockingham, thinking there was a new beginning for LFS, like there has been for rFactor 2, but it was just a lie to extract money from longtime LFS players.

What loyalty.

Meanwhile rFactor2 continues to provide us with monthly updates, dramatic updates such as laser-scanned Nordscheliefe and Le Mans, both coming withing two months. They also released 2019 Formula E last month.

LFS can't be bothered with that, too busy. But as we are all die-hard LFS fans, they will squeeze as much money from us as they can without contributing anything.

I for one understood that when paying for the s3 license i was only paying for the rockingham racetrack and IF any future content was to be released then all good but as scawen had stated it would be with no guarantee of future updates
Sometimes I wonder if this community actually realizes that LFS is developed by three people, and not a whole studio. The comparisons to the likes of rF2 and Assetto are so unfair it makes me genuinely feel bad for the LFS devs. Those games have entire studios behind them that are pretty much working on those games 24/7. LFS is an indie game developed by three people on their free time, and I think a lot of people fail to grasp that.

LFS isn't updated any quicker because it is humanly impossible for a three-person team to work on a game as extensively as an entire studio of 50+ people. It just doesn't work like that.
Every year the same cycle of discussions, in a way its amazing. Might just copy/paste some stuff from previous years to at least catch up with the upcoming yearly Xmas rumor.. Patch coming!
Quote from cargame.nl :Every year the same cycle of discussions, in a way its amazing. Might just copy/paste some stuff from previous years to at least catch up with the upcoming yearly Xmas rumor.. Patch coming!

Agree totally Smile

Quote from petercollins :

I have just tried RFactor 2 and even though they have progressed quite a bit from its predecessor in terms of physics but i would say it is far from realistic and graphically the textures look pretty bad especially the grass and track textures, had a few problems when i tried with my VR with it crashing so had to try without using my rift. Still its improved but apart from content is not worth mentioning.

With LFS you have a certain feel of freedom on the track as in you do not feel confined to a certain direction( obviously rules may forbid it)
Quote from CozmicDragon :Sometimes I wonder if this community actually realizes that LFS is developed by three people, and not a whole studio. The comparisons to the likes of rF2 and Assetto are so unfair it makes me genuinely feel bad for the LFS devs. Those games have entire studios behind them that are pretty much working on those games 24/7. LFS is an indie game developed by three people on their free time, and I think a lot of people fail to grasp that.

LFS isn't updated any quicker because it is humanly impossible for a three-person team to work on a game as extensively as an entire studio of 50+ people. It just doesn't work like that.

Small correction, LFS isn't developed in their free time.
For Scawen and Eric this game is a fulltime job.
Quote from Yisc[NL] :Small correction, LFS isn't developed in their free time.
For Scawen and Eric this game is a fulltime job.

Fair enough, but due to the sheer size difference between the teams behind these sims, I still think comparisons are unfair.
When S3 was released, Scawen said this "Further S3 content is in development but currently Rockingham is the only S3 content available. We made the decision to release it now rather than waiting for the other content to be completed. Although S3 content is already being developed, we cannot provide a guarantee that it will be released."

This was obviously not true. We have not seen any "further S3 content" that was, at that time, "already being developed". It was a lie. One track and a revamp of what we already had was not what we paid over GBP12.00 for. It was a lie.

It was released to grab money from longtime LFS players such as myself, and it is a shame. Because I still load up LFS most days because it is so much fun.

A few new cars and a few new tracks is all I want. I don't care about day and night, it's done so much better in 1,000 other sims.

Just give us a few more cars and a few more tracks. That's all.

And put the damn sim on Steam so we can get a few more online races going, rather than cruising or drifting around car parks.
You really read only the part you want to read,don't you? Is the part "we cannot provide a guarantee that it will be released." invisible for you? Also again - you paid for software "AS IS" without any guarantees of any updates. As simple as that.
(probably invisible text again)
I personally think software development nowdays is too heavy for two or three guys, peoples expectations are way too high in all area (graphics, physics etc), even for a experienced developer like Scawen things are getting too big to respect his near future roadmap, it's even worse for Eric as I understand very well (being 3D artist myself) how complicated 3D projects are, the more you go into details the more time consuming it become.

Imo I think it's time to focus exclusively on core contents and game strongest area to improve them even further, making even more contents will only make things worse for future improvements, especially for such a small team, so 2 or 3 cars plus 2 track for S3 is probably enough.

What I mean is improving the competition aspect of multiplayer (ranking, safety, matchmaking etc), focusing on immersion and precision of the actual contents (interactive dash, interior buttons etc ), graphics and physics improvements continual improvement, and more importantly is visibility, we have to reach where gamers are.
It maybe is more complicated nowadays but it generally (could) still proceed fast enough. The problem for LFS is just that the longtime development version with an alpha physics variant delays so many other improvements.
I'm pretty sure if it comes out we are very surprised how good it is and updates can come in a more regular basis (every X month not years).
There must have to exist dozens of physics tries and partly or complete rewrites because the physics had new flaws or in general did not meet their aspiration.
Funny enough, the content issue can be easily solved by developing official mod tools. That would be great, especially track-wise. The problem of LFS is that it's not getting new users. Well, not legit ones at least. The more time it passes, the more the userbase shrinks.
Quote from David 96 :Funny enough, the content issue can be easily solved by developing official mod tools. That would be great, especially track-wise. The problem of LFS is that it's not getting new users. Well, not legit ones at least. The more time it passes, the more the userbase shrinks.

That's often an argument. But it forgets that the developers of a game supporting modding have even more to consider when changing the engine, APIs, file formats and so on.
Realistically this is nothing when big project changes are still planned.

And for the small user base. That will change when/if the update comes dramatically. Wink
The potential user base of LFS is big enough. Many are awaiting the update and start playing again. For how long decides the quality of the update.
Quote from CLRS530 :And for the small user base. That will change when/if the update comes dramatically. Wink

To be honest, that's quite optimistic. Unless the new tyre model is something ground-breaking, I really really doubt the new patch will bring that many new players. The day/night cycle is anything but something new, so unless the devs have something else cooking in the pot that we don't know about (and I highly doubt they have), LFS users count won't see a dramatic increase

"albedo levels"

What loyalty.

Careful there mate, treading on dangerous ground now, last time I said something like this I was put in a naughty kid box for 6 months, since this fraud of a dEvELoPeR can not and will never accept any critisism.

Since 2008 - 2009 which is a 10 year period we have received an actual picture of something that was never proven to exist or atleast possible to document (a bloody black hole), most of us here have moved on with their everyday life, some people I know has bought an actual bloody Scirocco, drove out the warranty period and sold it. We have a choice of many many other simulators, and some of them are so good you have proper professional e-sport competition going using them, with drivers who have made a very start here.

What does the LFS communnity get? Oh look, another situation update. We have made some lightning change so cruisers can use something in their servers and it looks nicer. Don't tell you intended this change for racing, because competetive scene in LFS is dead. And yeah, we haven't figured out how tyres roll on the ground. I miss another autocad drawing of yours with some extra lines drawn on them so it looks like you did something.

You should of sold the code ages ago for people who had even a slight interest in continuity of this brilliant base ground for a simulator. You have killed your own project with your own stubborness. The guy is right, a normal employer would've sacked you ages ago.

You are a fraud Scawen.
The absolute state of this thread.
inb4 it gets locked since scawen doesn't like criticism.
Banned petercollins and TexasLTU.

petercollins repeatedly claims I am a liar. TexasLTU says I am a fraud.

These users have both had extensive bans in the past for being very unpleasant and rude around here. We provide a service here, a forum for sensible discussion.

We have been working on a simulator for many years and we are continuing to update it. There are no deadlines, we are putting years and years of work and effort into it as most people around here know (and it is plainly obvious from our recent progress reports).

There is really no reason for these guys to come here and insult us. It's not reasonable behaviour and we don't want that kind of negative person hanging around here. As they have pointed out, there are plenty of other games for them to play.
After trying a few other racing simulators recently such as rfactor 2 and a.c + pcars, they lack a lot of what LFS has, from the easy to use multiplayer system and driving physics the chat system and near instant connection to the servers

The reason updates may seem less frequent than the other simulators is mainly due to LFS either not having as many bugs or them already having been patched. The work put into VR made a big difference.

You have not promised any future updates so anything that does that released is a bonus

Quote from David 96 :Funny enough, the content issue can be easily solved by developing official mod tools. That would be great, especially track-wise. The problem of LFS is that it's not getting new users. Well, not legit ones at least. The more time it passes, the more the userbase shrinks.

This month i have not raced as often but still have raced against 717 different racers,even though a majority may be demo racers they are racers that are usually over 100 experience and with an FBM laptime of 1.18 or less on FBM bl2. Usually its well over 1000 by now
Quote from bishtop :After trying a few other racing simulators recently such as rfactor 2 and a.c + pcars, they lack a lot of what LFS has, from the easy to use multiplayer system and driving physics the chat system and near instant connection to the servers

The reason updates may seem less frequent than the other simulators is mainly due to LFS either not having as many bugs or them already having been patched. The work put into VR made a big difference.

You have not promised any future updates so anything that does that released is a bonus

This month i have not raced as often but still have raced against 717 different racers,even though a majority may be demo racers they are racers that are usually over 100 experience and with an FBM laptime of 1.18 or less on FBM bl2. Usually its well over 1000 by now

So you think the actual user base is enough ?
Quote from bishtop :

...The reason updates may seem less frequent than the other simulators is mainly due to LFS either not having as many bugs or them already having been patched. The work put into VR made a big difference.

They don't "seem" less frequent. They are less frequent. No offence, but it irks me to see someone from 2010 talk about how this is "okay". Its not okay.

I would consider the tire physics and VW a "promise" when it was announced and never fulfilled.

Also consider, we are still having conversations in an April progress report, in the month of June.
Some of the posts recently have been absolutely entertaining to read, thank you!
This thread is closed

April Progress Report
(209 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG