The online racing simulator
Mine vibrates itself, the tripod, the desk it is on, everything. If I pick up the tripod in my hands, that takes away the desk vibration sound (deep hum) but does not stop the buzzing vibration noise coming directly from the lighthouse. I don't have an electric toothbrush but I've tried one in the past (a long time ago) and for some reason I am thinking of that now, as the nearest thing, regarding vibration and sound.

Bendotcom says the production ones are much better and I guess he is right.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/517142892058619133/#c517142892066794415
One month ago Bartosz Żuk - HTC Product Commercialization Manager said in an interview for a Polish gaming website Gramy.pl that on 8th December they will announce the price, list of available games and start taking preorders.
He probably wasn't allowed to reveal that at the time, but Valve/HTC didn't make any comment.

Yesterday Nvidia have announced that they will be hosting a "VR Event" on 8th in London and today it was confirmed that HTC will be involved:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18705601
https://www.facebook.com/nvidiaunitedkingdom/photos/a.240268132703129.62682.151569994906277/1028091470587454/?type=3

I wonder what will be the price and how much different will the consumer version be from the Devkits. My bet is $700 for the Headset + 2 base stations + 2 controllers.
I doubt that it'll be that expensive.

The biggest thing killed the Oculus Rift is that it's too expensive, and they abandoned their original stated goal of making it affordable.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :The biggest thing killed the Oculus Rift

Nothing killed Oculus yet afaik. No wait, there was one Oculus killer around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAjSklU_Oks

Quote from dawesdust_12 :it's too expensive, and they abandoned their original stated goal of making it affordable.

As far as I can remember they were saying that CV1 will cost around $300 since forever and in most recent interviews they were saying not more than $400. So even if the estimated price went a bit higher that is out of nessesity rather than greed, because that's what it takes to build a high quality headset. Even the shitty chinese knockoff aka ANTVR costs 1499Y which is like $230.
Quote from Scawen :Mine vibrates itself, the tripod, the desk it is on, everything. If I pick up the tripod in my hands, that takes away the desk vibration sound (deep hum) but does not stop the buzzing vibration noise coming directly from the lighthouse. I don't have an electric toothbrush but I've tried one in the past (a long time ago) and for some reason I am thinking of that now, as the nearest thing, regarding vibration and sound.

Bendotcom says the production ones are much better and I guess he is right.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/517142892058619133/#c517142892066794415

Trying hard to care here, back in the days of turntables, (last tuesday), these are a great way to isolate vibration.
http://www.sounddeadsteel.com/hifi.html

Now, giving up caring. First gen for Scrawen makes sense, he's a dev who hopes to make money from the tech.
As a user, 'phuq ov', first, the cost of the unit itself, then the fact that my mid/high end pc is so far behind the min spec that I need another $NZ 1500 min on top of the unit to get it working right now with 'old' tech....

DDR 4 is brand new, so very exxy, So are the motherboards, Pascal is not released yet, Plus I need to get the cat fixed or I become a Granddad again !

And then the fact that later next year something far better on the VR front will be released......

As a user, 2 or 3 years before it's worth adopting is a realistic time scale. Remember, if it's tax deductible, it's worth using.
Test Patch 0.6J2...

Nearby objects are now visible in the reflections on cars.
Building reflections have also been improved.
The HTC Vive VR headset is now supported through OpenVR.

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/88636
Well at least one guy tried. Looks like this VR solution is not as widespread as the rift. But for bug hunting it is not much!
Yes, apparently the people with a Vive don't even look at that SteamVR forum, and I'm not allowed to post in the developer one.

I'll write to my contacts again today and let them know the Vive support is out there. Presumably they will be pleased to know that, seeing as they sent me a Vive for this reason! Smile

I'll ask them if they know any way I can get it tested.
Thanks for the tip. I've added one to the Vive subreddit. I may post to the simracing one when I've released another test patch with planned (minor) improvements to the environment mapping and fixes.
This is how to start the Vive (I'm posting here just so I can link from reddit).
Attached images
click_here.jpg
Quote from Scawen :This is how to start the Vive (I'm posting here just so I can link from reddit).

imgur.com Tongue
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I doubt that it'll be that expensive.

The biggest thing killed the Oculus Rift is that it's too expensive, and they abandoned their original stated goal of making it affordable.

What an absolute load of twaddle.

Before Palmer consumer VR was pretty much dead. Sony's idea of VR was to fit OLEDs to a 90's design and sell it for £1400 with the TMZ units. Totally unsuitable for games. Just about OK for movies. If you wanted to buy something cheaper you'd buy Vuzix with their tiny field of view and 90's display technology.

Palmer changed all that. DK1 was affordable. It was the most affordable and most advanced consumer VR ever created even though it was a developer kit. DK2 was even better at the same price point. Again the most advanced consumer VR ever. CV1 could be in the region of £350 to £400. Again it will be the most advanced consumer VR at the lowest price ever. As I said.. Before Palmer there was Sony HMZ at £1400.

I've been using Oculus DK2 on a daily basis for a few months and can best describe it as being what imax would like to be.

Palmer has kept his promises so far and has no reason to break them now. At £400 it will still be the cheapest most advanced consumer VR in history.
Quote from grammatonfeather :

Before Palmer consumer VR was pretty much dead. Sony's idea of VR was to fit OLEDs to a 90's design and sell it for £1400 with the TMZ units. Totally unsuitable for games. Just about OK for movies. If you wanted to buy something cheaper you'd buy Vuzix with their tiny field of view and 90's display technology.

Palmer changed all that. DK1 was affordable. It was the most affordable and most advanced consumer VR ever created even though it was a developer kit. DK2 was even better at the same price point. Again the most advanced consumer VR ever. CV1 could be in the region of £350 to £400. Again it will be the most advanced consumer VR at the lowest price ever. As I said.. Before Palmer there was Sony HMZ at £1400.

I've been using Oculus DK2 on a daily basis for a few months and can best describe it as being what imax would like to be.

Palmer has kept his promises so far and has no reason to break them now. At £400 it will still be the cheapest most advanced consumer VR in history.

Well, we found the Oculus board member. New account, only post is this post.

Go back to your hole.

BTW: Oculus Rift is already not the most advanced consumer VR. The HTC/Valve Vive is already vastly superior.
To be honest, VR is a stepping stone on the way to augmented reality systems. And then holo systems, then cyberspace/holodeck style systems....

We already have Idoru's, an A.I. has just passed university exams, welcome to interesting times.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :BTW: Oculus Rift is already not the most advanced consumer VR. The HTC/Valve Vive is already vastly superior.

Can you please tell us what exactly HTC Vive is so superior at? Must have missed something.
Quote from Amynue :
Quote from dawesdust_12 :BTW: Oculus Rift is already not the most advanced consumer VR. The HTC/Valve Vive is already vastly superior.

Can you please tell us what exactly HTC Vive is so superior at? Must have missed something.

It has the ability to do tracking in a entire 3d space like a room, along with offering tracking for peripherals as well.

It's not simple "head tracking VR" like the Rift is. Sure it can operate in such a mode, but it's so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNfrVXIgd0

This is just a simple demo of what the Vive VR can actually do for VR.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Quote from grammatonfeather :

Well, we found the Oculus board member. New account, only post is this post.

Go back to your hole.

BTW: Oculus Rift is already not the most advanced consumer VR. The HTC/Valve Vive is already vastly superior.

I did say "lowest price" did I not? I know all about Vive and it certainly isn't "vastly superior". Resolution is slightly higher but not enough to make much difference. Tracking is full body but relies on mechanical motors prone to wear. Oculus has the greatest infrastructure. Vive will be a good product but not the cheapest consumer VR system.

Yes, you found an Oculus user on this forum and Live for speed is fecking amazing with it.

I suggest if you don't like people calling you out on bollocks then don't talk a load of crap.
True, the Vive dev kit is by no means "vastly superior" to the Rift dev kit. It is different.

The screen resolution is similar.

It has a longer cable and much wider ranging tracking ability. This allows room scale VR that the Rift cannot do. That is not relevant to a seated simulator. The downside (at least in the Vive dev kit) is the noisy base stations.

Also the Vive dev kit comes with hand held controllers with 3D tracking, going it more capabilites, but also not relevant to a driving or flight simulator.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Quote from Amynue :

It has the ability to do tracking in a entire 3d space like a room, along with offering tracking for peripherals as well.

It's not simple "head tracking VR" like the Rift is. Sure it can operate in such a mode, but it's so much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNfrVXIgd0

This is just a simple demo of what the Vive VR can actually do for VR.

Yes it can do full body. Oculus doesn't use "simple head-tracking". Even DK2 tracks upper body and you can get up and walk around (as has been demonstrated over on the frontier elite dangerous forum). The issue with Vive is using mechanical motors for the scanning. Nvidia is working on a VR system that should be superior to Oculus and Vive within a few years.
Quote from Scawen :True, the Vive dev kit is by no means "vastly superior" to the Rift dev kit. It is different.

The screen resolution is similar.

It has a longer cable and much wider ranging tracking ability. This allows room scale VR that the Rift cannot do. That is not relevant to a seated simulator. The downside (at least in the Vive dev kit) is the noisy base stations.

Also the Vive dev kit comes with hand held controllers with 3D tracking, going it more capabilites, but also not relevant to a driving or flight simulator.

Those controllers look kind of bulky if the consumer versions are the same. I prefer the Half-moon design from Oculus. Both VR systems should be amazing but HTC Vive has some catching up to do in range of games and apps.

HTC Vive - VR headset form HTC and Valve - what do you think Scawen?
(328 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG