The online racing simulator
Scawen can you maybe tell us a date or just the month when Westhill will be released or you plan to release it? Big grin Looking forward to this and hope it may bring some of the old lfs racers back for maybe some one Off-Events.
They tell us the month, it doesn't work out and people will get mad again. I doubt they dare to estimate :P
I can - early 2009.
Awesome, thanks for the report! As people say, enjoy little things! Most probably I'm not the only one who enjoys these short progress reports Smile
@Scawen - I appreciate the direct response and honesty. I will continue to check back for updates periodically, just wish the pace was a little quicker.
Heyy!

Pace of updates are optimal, maybe even too fast. Slow but sure progress to the success tastes like [Enter your fantasy here of positive result]
-
(S.E.T.H) DELETED by Scawen : spam
What he and Victor and Eric have been saying since pretty much the start of LFS is that they left their conventional jobs for LFS precisely so that they could work at their own pace.

It's an immediate non sequitur to suppose Scavier do not enjoy working at their own pace, or that they don't enjoy LFS. The former and the latter are one and the same.

Quote :you don't come here by yourself to tell us about whats happening. you only do so when some of us lose patience and ask here whats going on. this is where some people get little bit huffy.

He does. But for argument's sake, "Work continues as usual", or some cryptic description of a particular programming conundrum that's blocking progress, would get those or other people comparably huffy. Sometimes there just isn't anything worthwhile to report; sometimes that's the case for weeks or months on end.

And FWIW I'm on neither side of this never ending debate. The bottom line is and has always been that it is their game.
I'll just hope path check airio can be updated after new path westhill Smile
Quote from Breizh :What he and Victor and Eric have been saying since pretty much the start of LFS is that they left their conventional jobs for LFS precisely so that they could work at their own pace.

It's an immediate non sequitur to suppose Scavier do not enjoy working at their own pace, or that they don't enjoy LFS. The former and the latter are one and the same.

He does. But for argument's sake, "Work continues as usual", or some cryptic description of a particular programming conundrum that's blocking progress, would get those or other people comparably huffy. Sometimes there just isn't anything worthwhile to report; sometimes that's the case for weeks or months on end.

we know working at own pace meant years of not working on it as well. so i'd not call it "enjoying it". if i enjoy something i do it often. very often. even if i had all the money in the world, i'd do it still. i really enjoy riding bike, but i havent done it past 4 years. i enjoy riding at my own pace doesn't sound right does it.

well and no he does not unless somebody asks for it in a half moaning way. knowing something's blocking the way and thats why its taking longer is better than not knowing anything and having complete silence.
Quote from Scawen :Working on it

On 24th January I gave quite detailed info about what I had to do, to release the compatible open paths test patch.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1880248#post1880248

I just came to have a look here and I'm a bit disappointed to see old style groaning and moaning. It really is a bit 'old'.

Yeah, LFS needs updates and we are working on it. Are the moaners and groaners working on their personal issues? Get a hobby, ride a bike up a hill, just do something. Try another sim if you like, or something in the 'real world'. Just don't come here and moan and groan! It doesn't make us work faster. It wastes your time and ours.

Nice customer relations. A lot of us paid for the sim as a work-in-progress. We didn't expect no development after that, and a massive decline in online racers. Maybe we would not have purchased it if we knew it was in decline.
Quote from petercollins :

Nice customer relations. A lot of us paid for the sim as a work-in-progress. We didn't expect no development after that, and a massive decline in online racers. Maybe we would not have purchased it if we knew it was in decline.

You paid for what you paid for ! So stop whining.......

You payed for a game in it's then current state. If you get FREE upgrades, then your a winner !

It has been a work in progress for years, there's still work going on, so cope with it, play something else for a while etc.

RSRBR is my reccomendation Smile

Still being updated years after being released.....
Quote from petercollins : Maybe we would not have purchased it if we knew it was in decline.

Can you please start work at a stock market bank and inform us about products which are 100% sure going to increase? Nothing in life is guaranteed, only that sun every morning.

24 pounds isn't really a deal breaker. I lost more money on completely useless products in life. The thing is that the game dev group here doesn't want to collect more money to be able to increase the amount of talent and that everything relies on just two people (and a great web dev, but he can't do anything if the sim doesn't make any progress). So if one of the two, or both having issues with health, aging, relationships or whatever then it's end of progress. But it's their choice to do it like this, I asked if it could be done different with more people but the decision is not to do that. So... Well.. Just do the math, not much to expect. Simply prioritize your talent on something else. A lot hopped on the Iracing money burning train, some are busy with AC, there is Rfactor2 and some other alternatives (CARS) but I can't really call those racing sims.

Not that you have to completely abandon LFS, the things which are running, are running.. Cruising even is more popular then I've ever seen before (which mainly is because there are no interesting new racing combo's anymore) but well.. Concerning racing not much is going to happen. It's too much fantasy from 6-8 years back. Maybe something happens after this Westhill/Rift activity.. Who knows.. But my best guess is that we are not talking about 2015 anymore, if, it ever happens.
next track : Monza ?
Big grin
-
(Peterbilt) DELETED by Peterbilt : sdas
I might have put a slightly moaning post last week, without an actual intend to moan, since I really love LFS and just feel sad for many mates leaving.

But Scawen, thank you for not giving up! I had/have to deal with my disablities in life, which make me unable to get a job. LFS has over the years and still... given me a great pleasure in life, I've met close friends on this great simulator, some of the ones I see on a regular bases and have fun with.

Without this simulator god knows what my (and our) lives would have looked by now. It gave me a safe place to have fun, and I would really like to thank you, Eric and Victor for delivering this safe environment, where I got to meet many of my friends!

~ Rocky
-
(Wenom) DELETED by Wenom
Quote from petercollins :Nice customer relations. A lot of us paid for the sim as a work-in-progress. We didn't expect no development after that, and a massive decline in online racers. Maybe we would not have purchased it if we knew it was in decline.

So, why don't you cancel the monthly subscription?
(yeah, I'm being sarcastic, that's the sad life I live.)
Quote from Wenom :LFS needs a proper gamepad support. It is no longer early 2000 when you could just go to the store and grab a Microsoft Force Feedback wheel for under 100€ and race to the finish line as a winner with a clutch macro somewhere between 15 ms to 30 ms depending on how much fps you can get from your processor. Nowadays if you want a proper racing wheel you must throw atleast 500€ to the desk so you can get something to be competetive with. And that is just the wheel not including the pedals... :/

I don't understand what you mean... What's wrong with current gamepad support? And why you need to throw that much money for a wheel? Good drivers can spend the same ~100€ for Logitech DFGT and still be very competitive,not so good driver won't be competitive with G27,G28 or whatever else is better and costs half k€.
Quote from Flotch :next track : Monza ?
Big grin

I don't think, it would be nice, i live very near Monza and i usually go on sunday.

And if they would release Monza, they MUST release it with an open configuration with the tunnel(i'm also in the video):

http://youtu.be/9kUjKeqxzd8?t=14s

Now i'm serious, is an official track, too hard they'll release it, too many licences etc... one day there was a simulator in the paddock during track days, a simulator with Radical sr3, you pay something like 5 euros, if you get the best time you can do a lap with a real Radical, but i don't know what sim was.
Quote from S.E.T.H :
Quote from Breizh :What he and Victor and Eric have been saying since pretty much the start of LFS is that they left their conventional jobs for LFS precisely so that they could work at their own pace.

we know working at own pace meant years of not working on it as well. so i'd not call it "enjoying it". if i enjoy something i do it often. very often. even if i had all the money in the world, i'd do it still. i really enjoy riding bike, but i havent done it past 4 years. i enjoy riding at my own pace doesn't sound right does it.

well and no he does not unless somebody asks for it in a half moaning way. knowing something's blocking the way and thats why its taking longer is better than not knowing anything and having complete silence.

To you. You're not making LFS.
let's wait for it

Gonna be a long wait but i still hope, that Scawen release some test patch for us soon Smile So a little more patience !

Spoiler - click to reveal

Be friendly and appreciate what we have Smile P. S. Give a respect for developers, they probably made great job with track and hope it brings new motions and much more enjoyment. let's wait for it !
If the Dev's did this one thing there would of never of been a problem.

"under promise, over deliver"

Since I've moved over to iracing now i don't really care how long it takes. It will be good to see how it turns out though as I still rate this as the best Sim. Unfortunately I had to go to a place where I can find races.
Test Patch G2 is available for testing.
It is fully compatible and therefore Westhill is not included.
It does have much better support for open configs and much better hidden object removal on all configs.
You should not see too much of objects popping into and out of view at the wrong time.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/87319
#549 - kdo
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch G2 is available for testing.
It is fully compatible and therefore Westhill is not included.
It does have much better support for open configs and much better hidden object removal on all configs.
You should not see too much of objects popping into and out of view at the wrong time.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/87319

Nice! downloading now Big grin
New Test patch is good, I have better frame rate on my Dell Latitude E4300. On AS3 with 1280x800 (max resolution for my laptop) no AA and I get 45 fps minimum on a single player. 35 fps minimum with same settings on BL1 which is very playable now for Hotlapping mode in a single player.

But I have to point out this laptop Have poor integrated Graphics. I actually got 837 points in 3d mark06 which is really poor result for a gaming machine, modern laptops with dedicated graphics have from around 4-5 thousand points to a 10k.

Without this patch I've had similar or 3-5fps worse performance but on 0.6G i played with little bit lower resolution 1024x768 (well now with actual patch i could change to a higher resolution and still I feel its better).

Also optimizing a game on/for a poor integrated laptop graphic cards is kinda like turd polishing and its very hard and seems like impossible to get anything better out of it but I hope Devs can make it happen to give me a minimum of 60 fps at each track on a Hot lapping mode Wink

I guess there is still much more to gain from direct x9 which we have now in LFS. Wink
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG