The online racing simulator
Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Hyperactive :Maybe some kind of drs detection system/help?

I had a look back at some previous races and noticed a similar pattern on the approach to the hairpin at Hockenheim too. Could be some form of DRS detection point/activation point distance system, but not sure. I asked ScarbsF1 and RacecarEngineer on Twitter, perhaps they have an idea.

Also: another jump start GIF:

Had a bit of a debate with a colleague today after he had seen the lap record time for Montoya at Monza.
Montoya, Williams BMW, 2004: 1m20.264
Hamilton, Mercedes, 2014 : 1m24.109
They were stuck with 3 sets of (grooved) tyres back then too, and iirc were qualifying with their race tyres and race fuel? (Refuelling but no tyre changes at pit stops).

Which combination of car and power-train would be the strongest?

Would a V10 in Hamilton's car, with the current rules, just obliterate the 2014 cars, would it beat the 2004 lap record?

Would Montoya's car be capable of going significantly faster still, on 2014 tyres and proper qualifying fuel load?

Would Montoya's 2004 car, with 2004 regs, be slower than Hamilton's 2014 lap, if his BMW had the 2014 Mercedes power-train?

I know it's all a simplification. You could pick it apart with, "but packaging.... that wouldn't fit" or "The car is completely designed around X", I could do that too, it's just for fun
Quote from sinbad :Had a bit of a debate with a colleague today after he had seen the lap record time for Montoya at Monza.
Montoya, Williams BMW, 2004: 1m20.264
Hamilton, Mercedes, 2014 : 1m24.109
They were stuck with 3 sets of (grooved) tyres back then too, and iirc were qualifying with their race tyres and race fuel? (Refuelling but no tyre changes at pit stops).

Which combination of car and power-train would be the strongest?

Would a V10 in Hamilton's car, with the current rules, just obliterate the 2014 cars, would it beat the 2004 lap record?

Would Montoya's car be capable of going significantly faster still, on 2014 tyres and proper qualifying fuel load?

Would Montoya's 2004 car, with 2004 regs, be slower than Hamilton's 2014 lap, if his BMW had the 2014 Mercedes power-train?

I know it's all a simplification. You could pick it apart with, "but packaging.... that wouldn't fit" or "The car is completely designed around X", I could do that too, it's just for fun

Interesting. I think because downforce isn't a big of a deal at monza, that a v10 in a 2014 car would be faster than the original 2004 car. Around barcelona or something it would be the other way around
The main reason i think Cars are soo much slower then last year isn't just the downforce loss its the massive gain in weight over the previous season, at minimum weight they are close to a full tank of the V8s, i think if you had a V10 Era car at the same weight as the V6 Turbos it would be close, but the V10s have that extra grunt, ricciardo got 362km/h at Monza last weekend which is around 10km/h off Montoyas top speed in 2004, but that was with DRS which would add quite a bit of speed.

I think Next years Engines will be developed to the point of Surpassing the V10s Power though, as you can see they have plenty of hardware upgrades already lined up for Winter.

Also 2004 allowed tyre changes your thinking of 2005.
woohooo I guessed the podium 100% right in GP Predictor!
Quote from Hyperactive :Well apparently false starts are against the rules but if you false start just a little bit it is fine.

As for the magnussen penalty. Some little bit of consistency would be nice. For most of the time the drivers have been allowed to push others off the track without any consequence but sometimes it just happens to be worth penalty. Personally I think it is stupid that the drivers are allowed to do that for the most of the time. If you push someone off the track you either give up the position or get penalized. Shouldn't make it any different if it happens during braking or corner exit.

Either way the fia is only harming the racing. If we allow drivers to push others off the track we see less wheel to wheel racing because being on the outside is essentially going to be an offtrack. If you give random penalties for it then drivers will do it and we get these redonkulous situations where the positions are not decided on the track but after the race you get some random dice roll decision. If pushing other drivers off the road was forbidden we would see more wheel to wheel racing and two wide through corners because the car on the inside can not just ignore you or push you off the road.

Agree. Again.

Button IMO should have also been penalized if Perez hadn't come out of their clash in essentially the same position he entered it. Was lol'in at the Sky commentators' inability to understand why Perez was upset.
Quote from Mustafur :
Also 2004 allowed tyre changes your thinking of 2005.

Yes, you're right, my bad.

And yes, the weight gain is a huge factor, but at Monza the top speed would be through the roof with a V10 powered 2014 car. That said it's hard to imagine a full second being made up along each straight (including curva grande).
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/9464477/FIA-Bans-Radio-Assistance

Worthwhile?

It might be a bit of a head-ache for a few people. Presumably things like fuel usage and tyre temperatures can no longer be discussed, nor can an instrument in the car be controlled by the pits. If the driver asks "how are my rear brake temperatures?" what can the pit-wall say back? Can they put the answer on a pit-board?

I guess things which are sent to the pits can also be sent to a gauge on the wheel, but it's a lot to cram in.
I don't understand. I like hearing drivers being told how to drive, how to change their style. It gives more insight into the 'process'.

Pointless rule change that will only cause teams to come up with different ways to achieve same results.
We're only going to see a return of coded messages to drivers like we saw during the team order era. Although I disagree with Intrepid, I think it is a bit pathetic to hear Formula One drivers asking where they can improve during the race or an engineer like Rob Smedley asking Massa to brake a bit later or something.

Engineers in F1 are some of the best minds in the world exploiting a rule book on a technical basis, the FIA need to understand that and stop trying to create frivolous rules and focus on the real issues of the sport like Abu Double.
Yes, and if they don't go to the trouble of making team principles explain satisfactorily why they said "Well done Lewis. They say the weather is fine in Stockholm, at this time of year", then the whole thing is a waste of time.

I quite like hearing things like "OK time to push", but can they even say that? - it implies that all is well with tyres and fuel. It's barmy. They should cut them off completely if they want this done properly, but I think that would be a real loss for the audience, I enjoy hearing the communications about the state of things, it's an insight into the car's performance and the personalities.
It gives a lot of insight, you know when a guy is having no brakes and has 2 redbulls in his back trying to hold them, like Perez in Canada; we wouldnt know if we had that rule imposed.
The problem is not really the ban itself of the messages but the random and unclear nature of the ban. Where is the problem they are trying to fix? How are they going to interpret it? Only thing I see is more problems created. How dumb is it going to be if driver gets penalized for something the pit crew tells him?

Not to mention the obvious unsafety of forcing the drivers to watch some tiny displays on his steering wheel while going at 200mph and not paying attention to the road...

If they want to control the radio messages then why not simply make it that the driver can tell to the team whatever he wants but the team can simply answer yes or no with some standard computer voice message? Then have fom have a room full of hollywood writers making up stuff that is then broadcasted as real messages during the races.

Like when nico messed up the T1 in monza we could hear lewis say "for the queen and santander" or when alonso and vettel were battling it out we could hear messages like "oh you lovely german boy your overtaking moves taste like hot nestle cocoa drink" and vettel could reply that "my casio watch says I'm going to get you next time you amazing ferrari laferrari driver". There could be money in it.
Quote from Hyperactive :
Like when nico messed up the T1 in monza we could hear lewis say "for the queen and santander" or when alonso and vettel were battling it out we could hear messages like "oh you lovely german boy your overtaking moves taste like hot nestle cocoa drink" and vettel could reply that "my casio watch says I'm going to get you next time you amazing ferrari laferrari driver". There could be money in it.

Actually the ban is only pit to car. Drivers can still complain and speak freely from the car to the engineer.
Quote from vipex123 :
Quote from Hyperactive :

Actually the ban is only pit to car. Drivers can still complain and speak freely from the car to the engineer.

I know. But I thought it was a nice joke to have made-up messages coming from the drivers filled with non-relevant sponsor bs.
Maybe the radio ban is not so daft idea if we think about it from the perspective how drivers save fuel and tires during the race. When the driver does not have computer calculate the required lap time and strategy to catch someone in front (and basically come to the conclusion that it is not worth it) the driver may end up pushing for the position much more often? Maybe we see cars running out of fuel as a consequence but also more racing to catch the guy in front? From tv pov it doesn't really make much difference whether the driver catches the guy in front or not but the idea of chasing down someone is exciting already in itself. Also when drivers need to drive at certain pace to keep the strategy working we probably see more situations where the strategy doesn't work out because the driver pushed too hard or not enough..

What makes it still very stupid is that you basically need to learn the rulebook just so you know why the teams are not telling the drivers to do some obvious things...
and there goes maldonado...
Quote from Hyperactive :Maybe the radio ban is not so daft idea if we think about it from the perspective how drivers save fuel and tires during the race. When the driver does not have computer calculate the required lap time and strategy to catch someone in front (and basically come to the conclusion that it is not worth it) the driver may end up pushing for the position much more often? Maybe we see cars running out of fuel as a consequence but also more racing to catch the guy in front? From tv pov it doesn't really make much difference whether the driver catches the guy in front or not but the idea of chasing down someone is exciting already in itself. Also when drivers need to drive at certain pace to keep the strategy working we probably see more situations where the strategy doesn't work out because the driver pushed too hard or not enough..

What makes it still very stupid is that you basically need to learn the rulebook just so you know why the teams are not telling the drivers to do some obvious things...

Would they not be allowed to have an led which was green for on target for fuel, blue if there's more than they'll need and orange/red it's time to save fuel? Or a pit board?
They can't have incar displays that stream data from pitbox to car. Nothing wrong with a pitboard though!
Quote from Autosport :The FIA has told Formula 1 teams that the ban on advice being given to drivers will also extend to pit boards from this weekend's Singapore

Just heard that in fp2. Thats amazing haha
Radio ban doesnt apply to ricciardo?
So, at Monza Magnussen got a penalty for not leaving enough space and forcing Bottas off track. In Singapore Vergne tried a move where he was going round the outside and got forced off track, yet HE was the one to receive the penalty. Such consistency.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Radio ban doesnt apply to ricciardo?

before friday it would be illegal, but they changed it slightly
This thread is closed

Formula 1 Season 2014
(1760 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG