The online racing simulator
Excited for the new westhill. Keep it up and thank you.
Quote from Scawen :...You know when the physics is wrong in a game, there are EXPLOITS.
So you could do stupid settings or drive in a stupid way and win the race by far over the people who use it as intended ...... It can't be that hard to understand, that it's not ready for release, can it?

This really helps to understand though; from a user point of view. What's obvious to you isn't always obvious to the user base, because you're totally immersed in your project . When you come right out and are explicit like this, there's no room for speculation at all, and therefore it's not hard to understand whatsoever.

And thanks for the communication lately, it's been really fun reading what all the devs have had to say. LFS has always been an excellent project and it's good to see this interaction again

Quote from Mike 78 :I think some may be misunderstanding the purpose of a "TEST Patch"...

What it is:
A development tool used near the end of a project phase so that developers can crowdsource the user base for feedback regarding bugs, exploits, etc.

What it is not:
A sneak preview so that the players can get an early look at new content.

It's understandable considering the end user's point of view that some might not make this distinction but there you have it.

Indeed, great post. It's for use when you think you've got everything sorted and want to make sure as much as you can - for those that don't mind being test subjects - not for when you darn well it's bastardized and need 1000 posts of what's wrong when you already know.
Quote from MoMo92i :When it goes wrong it goes wrong completely and do stupid things...Before releasing something decent Scavier have to get ride of the stupid thing the model may do.

hmm. it must take some time to find out how to make the physics engine "do stupid things", especially to find exploits.

it would also take some people pretty gifted to do some beta testing.

big up to the devs for their vision and to many unsung heroes for being critical in their testing.
Quote from cargame.nl :OK, you read it Eric. There is no update needed.

Quote from JazzOn :How old are you? Absolutely nobody said that.

Except for all the people who suddenly want the older circuits back too.

Eventhough the people who are asking for it may not be seeing it that way.
It must be really frustrating to anounce something new as a developer, just to have people want the outdated stuff back. No?
Why would they take it negatively that people think fondly of work they have done?
Do they really? Or is it just a bit of nostalgia?

And it's not just the fact that people suddenly want the old circuits back.
It's that now we're getting something new, they still continu asking for more.
Quote from JSHuiting :

It's probably matter of a single thing, though we still don't know, how exactly the new Westhill will look, but we can have a good guess from the images. The character of the track seems to be slightly changed from the original, to a little slower and less challenging, which makes people demand the older track as well.

As far as i remember, that wasn't the case with the latest Blackwood update, because it didn't change that much, perhaps it even turned out better.

So as i said, it's only Westhill, nothing else.
Quote from Kid222 :It's probably matter of a single thing, though we still don't know, how exactly the new Westhill will look, but we can have a good guess from the images. The character of the track seems to be slightly changed from the original, to a little slower and less challenging, which makes people demand the older track as well.

As far as i remember, that wasn't the case with the latest Blackwood update, because it didn't change that much, perhaps it even turned out better.

So as i said, it's only Westhill, nothing else.

Mistake on my part then, thought that i read something about the retro versions of the LFS tracks.
From version 0.01 and such.
And Eric did say something about slight changes indeed, which is the reason why all the hotlaps on Westhill woulld be reset.

Also, who's stopping anyone from using older LFS versions anyway?
Quote from JSHuiting :Do they really? Or is it just a bit of nostalgia?

Quote :Except for all the people who suddenly want the older circuits back too.

not more, but not less.

How hard is that to understand? Nobody complains about new stuff, just that the old stuff doesn't need to be removed.
So Eric should be upset because we would like to be able to drive both of his pieces of work, and not just one of them?

If anything, you'd be asking for less, as it takes more time to remove something then to not touch it at all.
Quote from nacim :...
But there is not only Rift users in gaming world, so please don't forgive us. Hope that in a few test patches we will test the new Westhill.

Keep it up ScaViEr!

PS : Sorry for my bad English.

I don't think we are forgotten, this is linked to the people doing the work :
- content will be mainly provided by Eric : focused on Westhill recently ... the screenshots are very appealing
- update on the core of LFS is done by Scawen : focused on 3D and VR recently in aim to make a break from tire physics . so, while this task is not done ... patience is the word

Wait and see, but LFS is getting strongly developed again
Quote from PMD9409 :So Eric should be upset because we would like to be able to drive both of his pieces of work, and not just one of them?

If anything, you'd be asking for less, as it takes more time to remove something then to not touch it at all.

Quote from JazzOn :not more, but not less.

How hard is that to understand? Nobody complains about new stuff, just that the old stuff doesn't need to be removed.

Quote from JSHuiting :Mistake on my part then, thought that i read something about the retro versions of the LFS tracks.
From version 0.01 and such.

And i never said anything about people complaining about new stuff.
New stuff is great.
Quote from JazzOn :How old are you? Absolutely nobody said that.

Its a thing done with kids mostly.

*nnooohooowwooh I want the old stuff*
{you get the new stuff}
*noohooohoow the old stuff is ssooo niiceee*
{ok you get no new stuff then, keep it with the old stuff}
*NOOHOOOWWW!!! I want the new stuff!!1!*

Just a trick.
one of the the problems with lfs is that there hasnt been any new content since s2 dropped 9 years ago
one of the easiest ways to get some more content into the game and add some variety to the selection of tracks is to add already existing different versions of the tracks
Quote from cargame.nl :Its a thing done with kids mostly.

*nnooohooowwooh I want the old stuff*
{you get the new stuff}
*noohooohoow the old stuff is ssooo niiceee*
{ok you get no new stuff then, keep it with the old stuff}
*NOOHOOOWWW!!! I want the new stuff!!1!*

Just a trick.

Really? I'd guess kids always want the new stuff.

What kids (or immature people) definitely do is get spiteful when someone argues against them.

However, case closed by Scawen.
I don't give a single duck about people who want to be with the old stuff. You can always revert to LFS prior to 0.6G, no one's blocking you from doing it.
Quote from PMD9409 :So Eric should be upset because we would like to be able to drive both of his pieces of work, and not just one of them?

exactly this.
Lmao @ those annoying people who still want the old version. It should be removed cause the track we will get is the improved version. They improve it cause they didnt like the old one and find good enough for lfs. This is same as wanting the old tyre physics along with the new one for a bit of "nostalgia". Just play the older version if you so wish it ffs.

I dont ever think those people will play the old one anyway. Just being annoying is "there" business.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :exactly this.

This is just ridiculous.

Can't you guys just be happy with the update we're getting?
It's been like 4/5 years to finally get some new, fresh content but yet people find reasons to nitpick about it.

Is it just for the sake of complaining or something?
Because then I can see why it's like talking to a brick wall and why the devs were so silent about their work.
Everything they say could be better, different or whatever.

It's awesome that Eric puts so much effort into this track,
and doing a mighty fine job aswell which I can really appreciate.
And he doesn't even owe it to us.

Yet most here behave like self entitled little brats as cargame just explained to us, want this, want that, want this.

And keeping the old track would just give us a inconsistent mess a 'la GT5/6 anyway.
It's a update, something will be replaced/improved, and above all it's free.
So just be happy with what you get, and what you already have.

At least, i'll be doing that.
Quote from MarcisZ :The only thing I'm hoping for is that those "few weeks" won't last for year(s).

The only thing I'm hoping for is that those "few weeks"is in my life
Quote from Scawen :Some people can't understand why we don't release the tyre physics, even though it feels good.

Well that is because it has FATAL FLAWS!!!

You know when the physics is wrong in a game, there are EXPLOITS.

ah......it is not a big problem, ppl who drive fast in GT6 are also driving stupid :tempted:
Quote from Scawen :Oh you mean, like, "This is totally screwed, and I know why, let's get it tested, divide the community and ruin online racing"...

Why? Test patches are to get things tested, not to get fatally flawed things out there and destroy online racing. The tyre physics is far from complete.

It's just absolutely ridiculous. It would be like Eric releasing a Westhill test when he had done a rough version of half the track and no scenery, to get it tested. Why would he?

y not just open rockham & VW with old phy?
Quote from JSHuiting :This is just ridiculous.

Can't you guys just be happy with the update we're getting?

Who, beside you and cargame (who is clearly trolling), is saying they are not happy? Get off your high horse and quit making a big deal out of nothing.
Any progress?
I'm delighted that Westhill is getting an update, but I also love the current model.

Eric may say that it doesn't fit the current/newer physics packages, but that's almost why I like it. The track is unique because, even as a road course, the racing is close and fueled by drafting battles. The speeds are high, so even the slowest drivers feel fast. While you spend most of the lap trying to optimize your line to take corners full throttle, the few braking zones are perfect for overtaking.

I really wonder how Eric knew how to create good overtaking spots with hilly left-right chicanes and downhill opening-radius corners, while Hermann Tilke can't create a pass unless there's a widened track with a 150 degree hairpin.
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG