The online racing simulator
iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
Get the Z4
Well, I bought both (COTA and Z4) and it is a blast, 1st race I got 7th place starting from the back (29)... for a moment I forgot I was playing iRacing
Hehe I just bought em both as well. Just going to try now. I kinda blindly told you to buy the Z4

EDIT: Well the BMW feels kinda dead to me, not sure what it is. I still prefer the driving experience in the RUF
I only had time to try the newly bought Z4 yesterday around COTA, but today I'm continuing my tour around the comboes. I see that Star Mazda got an update for the tires, which was just about time. I guess that will boost the participation back to where it was years ago, might make it my main series to begin with. Originally I was planning for a RUF Cup full-out attendance, now I also have to check that car out though as it got changed. I simply don't like COTA, but I expected that from the very beginning. All of the turns have like 9 ideal lines and impossible steering angles, blind braking points. It's just not my style of motorsports racing. It's just too American for me, but that's a problem for me and not the developers. The track is well-done, the graphics are nice and the details look fantastic. That's a great job on both the car and the track.

Btw, don't even try to compare RUF Track and Z4 in driving experience, they aren't even remotely related, other than being in the same series.
Mp4/ruf/z4 ,,,best feel/grip/stability ?wich one
Quote from Kristi :I only had time to try the newly bought Z4 yesterday around COTA, but today I'm continuing my tour around the comboes. I see that Star Mazda got an update for the tires, which was just about time. I guess that will boost the participation back to where it was years ago, might make it my main series to begin with. Originally I was planning for a RUF Cup full-out attendance, now I also have to check that car out though as it got changed. I simply don't like COTA, but I expected that from the very beginning. All of the turns have like 9 ideal lines and impossible steering angles, blind braking points. It's just not my style of motorsports racing. It's just too American for me, but that's a problem for me and not the developers. The track is well-done, the graphics are nice and the details look fantastic. That's a great job on both the car and the track.

Btw, don't even try to compare RUF Track and Z4 in driving experience, they aren't even remotely related, other than being in the same series.

Cota is too american? Lol our road courses all feel natural as if they ride the hills etc (barber, limerock, laguna seca, sonoma, vir etc), cota is a f1 track and was designed as one. If anything it is european.
It's European cause it's featured in F1? That logic sounds pretty steep for me at this point. Look at those turns and braking points. Feels like an american Bahrain to me. It's really nothing like a European track.
Uber wide, tons of run off areas. Seems like an f1 track to me

Nevermind.
I like it.
You need to be careful at those off tracks tho, but that's just my two cents. Love the flow and speed on this track, especially with the Z4.
Tried Watkins Glen aswell. Awesome.
Quote from Kristi :It's European cause it's featured in F1? That logic sounds pretty steep for me at this point. Look at those turns and braking points. Feels like an american Bahrain to me. It's really nothing like a European track.

Please name tracks in America it resembles then?
The track was designed by the same guy (a German of course) who designed Sepang, Shanghai, Yas Marina, Istanbul, Bahrain among others. Don't tell me this is an American style track - it is nothing close to any other American road racing track. Maybe European was not the right word, what I was angling towards it is more similar to overseas race tracks.
Not to mention the fact that it steals sections directly from Istanbul, Silverstone, and Hockenheim.

The problem is that it's a modern Tilke track and it contains many of his passing gimmicks. For example, widening the track on entry to a hairpin so that there are more lines, but then the track looks mutant. Turn 1 is the worst culprit.

That's hardly an American design feature. The closest thing we have to that would be the last turn of Laguna Seca I guess, but that's not a mutant hairpin, it's just a tight corner.

It's a Tilke track with typical Tilke features. Yes, it may be one of his best designs, but it still contains a lot of crap that is his signature.
Attached images
tilke.png
Phillip Island (Australian though), Watkins Glen, Mosport, from the top of my head have those freaky sweepers with at least 9 ideal lines and twice as many possible braking points. I'm talking about increasing angle long turns from which you can't just accelerate out, because it starts increasing angle at which point a "European" track's turn would already finish. Story short: you need left foot braking in almost every single turn in the GT cars because of that. That's not the case in EU style tracks, they are just simple hard brake in, accelerate out, which suits my style. I didn't say it's crap, I said it doesn't fancy my taste of track engineering. I'm too European for this

EDIT, more subjectivity:
I spent 30 laps or so on it with the Z4 and I started liking it aswell, still those creepy sweepers are not my style and most of these turns require left foot braking or you understeer to oblivion. I'd stay at "drivable" rating for this moment, chilling myself that I didn't waste $15. I will probably use it much for this season at least though.
Which times are you putting Z4@COTA?
Quote from Kristi :Phillip Island (Australian though), Watkins Glen, Mosport, from the top of my head have those freaky sweepers with at least 9 ideal lines and twice as many possible braking points. I'm talking about increasing angle long turns from which you can't just accelerate out, because it starts increasing angle at which point a "European" track's turn would already finish. Story short: you need left foot braking in almost every single turn in the GT cars because of that. That's not the case in EU style tracks, they are just simple hard brake in, accelerate out, which suits my style. I didn't say it's crap, I said it doesn't fancy my taste of track engineering. I'm too European for this

EDIT, more subjectivity:
I spent 30 laps or so on it with the Z4 and I started liking it aswell, still those creepy sweepers are not my style and most of these turns require left foot braking or you understeer to oblivion. I'd stay at "drivable" rating for this moment, chilling myself that I didn't waste $15. I will probably use it much for this season at least though.

Mosport is Canadian. But, I still don't understand your point about multiple lines. Every corner there has 1 fastest line. And Watkins Glen has only 1 corner with a variable line, but most people tend to either take a later apex or hug the bottom in the loop.
If anyone here wants to get into ovals, but doesnt like the NASCAR side of things you should consider the IndyCar. Last season in the Dallara. I wrote some setup guides that can help you get up to pace. My first one explains things that will work at all 1.5mi or longer tracks.

First article I wrote explains the basics:
http://www.iracing.com/iracing ... ndycar-setup-introduction
Just noticed i got offer 3 months for price of one. I was waiting for that kind of deal so i bought it
Quote from CardsetCrazy :Just noticed i got offer 3 months for price of one. I was waiting for that kind of deal so i bought it

me too. gonna activate it when f1 season starts its second week

and what a shame isaac
Holy mother of god yesterday I got sideways in the SRF at Okayama, yanked over opposite lock and actually held it for once! What is this heracy?
Get Gt3 jack, caddy sucks

iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG