The online racing simulator
Just a short comment for the above discussion on memory/track layout/conditions: The tracks/conditions are more or less built into every drivers skeletton . It needs to be, otherwise a racer would not be able to tackle unforseen events, which there always are in a race. The race is more or less a train that knows exactly where to go without thinking. Or like a song that you know very well. The thinking is spent on overtaking, avoiding incidents and minimize fattigue.

As a former downhill racer (skiing) we always memorize 40-60 gates, every turn condition and how it relates to every other turn on the way down. Pretty much the same thing, except a car-track layout is geographically allways the same.

Oh, and on topic: I love AC, probably because it reminds me of LFS a lot .
Quote from amp88 :

Do you still refuse to believe that some people know the Nordschleife corner-by-corner in-sequence from memory, though? That's the annoying claim which you made, and I hope you've come to reconsider it.

I have never refused to believe it. I said if you took pictures and asked someone to order them it would be a struggle to do it and they probably wouldn't get it correct. It's like remembering a street name or something, you might not remember what it's called but you know the location and all but you just don't remember the name. That's why I said I severely doubt anyone could accurately run through the Nordschleife on the fly. It's one of those things.

If someone was to do it to me in person I wouldn't be able to credit or dis-credit them because I don't have the knowledge of the Nordschleife to contest that and I think when people refer to 'this guy knows the Nordschleife inside out' that it is one of these incidents, where they reel off a few corners that may or may not be in the correct order, but it sounds correct so people just assume it's correct.

I suppose though maybe I am generalizing and using sim-racers/car enthusiasts as the benchmark in that typically every body thinks they know more than they actually do. Myself included.
Quote from BlueFlame :You do know the track, when on track you know whats coming next, but you couldn't possibly remember all 140~ corners by memory in the correct order. It's just not really possible for the human brain to do it.

Quote from amp88 :Do you still refuse to believe that some people know the Nordschleife corner-by-corner in-sequence from memory, though? That's the annoying claim which you made, and I hope you've come to reconsider it.

Quote from BlueFlame :I have never refused to believe it. I said if you took pictures and asked someone to order them it would be a struggle to do it and they probably wouldn't get it correct.

Quote from dekojester :So! 1) What hardware do I need to run AC reasonably well?

I can run it just fine with good settings at 2560x1440 on my rather old rig:

Core 2 Duo E8400 (3 Ghz)
4 GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce 570 GTX

At a lower resolution a weaker gfx card should do fine as well.
Quote from amp88 :...

Where did I say that I didn't believe it? I just said it wasn't really possible which in my retarded syntax means 'difficult'.
Quote from BlueFlame :Where did I say that I didn't believe it? I just said it wasn't really possible which in my retarded syntax means 'difficult'.

Ah, so you're not content with redefining maths, you want to do the same to the English language? I see...all your posts make sense now.
Quote from Jakg :

Woah! I missed that. I might not be liked, I might not always be right, and I might have views that differ from the majority, but....

Quote from BlueFlame :Well I've read the equation as it's written not how some method dictates it should be solved.

So you be the judge of who is wrong.

Fact of the matter is, someone taught you something and told you and you took is as gospel, not my fault if people are blind to thinking outside of their tiny minds.

There's probably 90% of the people who commented couldn't even work out the equation on their own anyway, but they chime in here trying to look smart. At the end of the day, algebra is retarded, if you're retarded enough to need to substitute numbers for alternate symbols because you can't hold anything in your brain for more than 3seconds then you probably need some retarded method.

Quote from BlueFlame :You do realize there are hundred of Doctors of Mathematics that cry out for different educational standards. In these kind of equations sometimes there is no definite right or wrong answer, because they have been arranged poorly. The method you people are using is a very old and actually outdated method.

Why do you believe you are correct? Because someone taught you in a particular way and TOLD you it was correct? To learn anything you have to BELIEVE in what you are taught. If you don't believe it, then you don't think its correct. Any kind of theoretical knowledge is faith based, such as so called advanced mathematics because that can't be done physically. Faith only becomes true knowledge when something is visually recognized in physical form (literally speaking).

You THINK you've been taught correctly so you take high ground and basically cast anyone who uses a different method to you as a spastic.

This is unbelievably ignorant. Which btw (is a form of stupidity).

Numbers can't be argued, this is indisputable but in terms of equations the methods can most certainly be disputed.

And in response to Jack : So give me an example of when YOU found algebra to be of any use in realistic practice?

And Matti, don't even get me started and multiplying first, we read from left to right, if there's no brackets then left to right is the order shall be solved in.

Much like when so called 'Scientists and masters of theory' BELIEVED the earth to be completely flat laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the Earth was Spherical.

It's ok to be taught something, but if you're too closed minded to accept that something else may actually be more applicable that's not my problem but I'd rather you people didn't regard one as stupid for having alternative views incase you come across someone who actually gives a shit.

I use algebra every single day. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Even when I'm not at work. Even when I'm having a lazy day in front of the TV (I can dream). Hell, just writing the most basic of Excel formulas is algebra (although x is replaced with $A$56).

Wow.

I can run through maybe 40 tracks or so in my head without any problem at all if not many many more. And that's at least 400-600 consecutive corners. The brain can remember 140 easily.
Quote from Intrepid :I can run through maybe 40 tracks or so in my head without any problem at all if not many many more. And that's at least 400-600 consecutive corners. The brain can remember 140 easily.

There really is no need to respond to Blueflames latest ridiculous assumption. I get the feeling he thinks we all suffer from his limited brain capacity.
Quote from amp88 :Ah, so you're not content with redefining maths, you want to do the same to the English language? I see...all your posts make sense now.

Don't kick a man whilst he's under the influence of retard!
Would that make you safe from kicking for all time?
I've learned a lot today!

- "Difficult" = "Impossible"

- Algebra is for morons (and it's also wrong anyway)

- It's both impossible and difficult to memorize race tracks

I feel enlightened.
And here I belived we had a interesting discussion about whether or not Nordscheilfe (or how you spelled it) should be priortized to get into the game, but instead the whole forum whent full retard

Blueflame, please, can't you just be nice for a change? Do you need to troll so much all the time and make the other people here go batshit?
Yeah and please go outside and get a life. Keeping in mind how much time of the day you spend writing on this forum makes me impossible to believe that you have an interesting life out there
Was that directed to me?
F40, E30 M3 Group A, 599XX, Z4 GT3, and Monza.

Quote from BlueFlame :
That's teh beauty of the Nordschleife. You do know the track, when on track you know whats coming next, but you couldn't possibly remember all 140~ corners by memory in the correct order. It's just not really possible for the human brain to do it.

I feel ashamed from replying to this, but I took this as a challenge.
I just did a mental lap on the Nordschleife and I'm 100% sure I didn't miss a corner.
Of course I can't prove it to you, but I just find it baffling someone would make such a statement.

BTW on the actual topic, I really like Nordschleife and I think it would make for epic races. it's just much more exiting to drive than most racetracks. I don't really see the logic behind some people who say it would make for a lonely race.
For example 30 minute race would equal different amount of laps on Nords than it would in a "modern" racetrack. But the distance and race time is still more or less the same. If there are other drivers on the same skill level, driving a similar car than you, it's going to be an epic battle. No matter what kind of track you are driving.
Quote from PMD9409 :F40, E30 M3 Group A, 599XX, Z4 GT3, and Monza.

What do you mean ""... more like ""

Going to be a fun weekend!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :I've learned a lot today!

- "Difficult" = "Impossible"

- Algebra is for morons (and it's also wrong anyway)

- It's both impossible and difficult to memorize race tracks

I feel enlightened.

What about "Calgary is cold"?

I wish AC would scan Knockhill, i'd even contribute a mars bar to the cost of the scanning.
Well I've had a good learning day today. My Maths teacher taught me 1850s maths which is now invalid, he's a conspiracy theorist, I can read equations any way I want because I'm a free thinker, and that where x = 90, 2x = 290. I also couldn't draw a map of a track freehand in paint from memory without getting it completely wrong, I don't know the Nurburgring from driving thousands of sim laps and couldn't get the corners in the right order from pictures, difficult means impossible, and Jackie Stewart was a dirty no good liar.

Edit: Oops BBT beat me to it.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG