The online racing simulator
Quote from Racer X NZ :It's not about putting the Devs down, it's simply asking, should we continue hosting, supporting, raving about.

Or, should we accept that LFS is where it is, continue enjoying what it is, but, put our efforts and future into something else.

I do a lot of RBR, do the original Dev's support that, DUH.

Does it's community keep it going, release new tracks, cars, physics etc. Yes they do.

Why, because its the best rally sim released.

The only reason people don't do the same with LFS is respect for the Dev's, if there is no further official support, then say so.
That's not an issue, then the community can then choose it's direction.

Sirocco, it's getting towards classic status already, who cares about yet another front wheel drive box.
Rockingham, well, cool. What that has to do with the tyre physics escapes me completely.

If Scrawen etc want to do something else, best wishes for the future.

But let the community loose with the project, you've made your money, you'll make more money from each licence sold, let the community carry out track, graphics work.

Lfs already deals with RW drive far better that RBR, so give the community a chance to put their expertise into the other areas.

Failing that, a simple 'I'm alive' post would be appreciated. As someone who runs an IT company, If I followed the Devs rules and feedback, I'd still be telling people that Dos 3.11 was the way to go !

That is so true Racer, except for the last bit. You would be down the job centre explaining why your not employed anymore LOL.

On a site note my £12 that I paid out when S2 came out, if I put that in an interest account back then, and taking an avg of 2% interest (although I know it isn't now) my £12 would of been close to £250 LOL.
I myself am getting rather impatient waiting for this so called S3, least they could do is give us a bit of info of what actually is going on, is lfs really dead? or have they ran out of money to continue the progress of lfs? we don't know because we rarely get any information given to us, if we do it's mostly small updates. it does not take this long to release something that could of been released few years ago, as much as the development side of things go i'd say its pretty slim we will be seeing S3 for awhile.
Sorry to be pedantic, but where is "been" and who are "could" and "would"?

E.g. Robin of Sherwood.

Correct English = Could've or Could have, would've or would have .

Normally I wouldn't have said anything, but from 2 Englishmen .

BACK ON TOPIC - I agree with Fordman's original post, a lot of time has passed since ANY announcement/update/news. Maybe it's time for a small news update given that the community are requesting it. Now I know that Scawen has already given his reasons for not doing so, and I know the community tends to 'jump' on anything that the devs say, but I myself (who couldn't give 2 hoots when the next update is as I accept the devs work ethic of "it's done when it's done") am beginning to wonder "what's going on?".

I visit this forum every day and have done for the past 10-11 years and I am saddened by the recent absence from the devs. I imagine I am not the only one either. So please Devs (anyone who wants to reply), say something, anything that gives hope to the community who just want reassurance that LFS is NOT dead and IS being worked on. I don't think this is an unreasonable request given that it is by people who 'love' this sim and not by someone who is going to flame you for whatever you say. The Devs are intelligent enough to know when a post is from a genuine 'fan' and not someone who demands things or critisizes you work.

Just my 2 cents from a long time member of this community
Quote :the community are

"The community" is singular (pl. communities); "are" should be "is". It's also an inaccurate generalisation, "some of the community" or "some people in the community" would be more accurate.

Quote :critisizes

dldn ipfvdjpifdidsnfdklfndsk.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :"The community" is singular (pl. communities); "are" should be "is". It's also an inaccurate generalisation, "some of the community" or "some people in the community" would be more accurate.

I am OK with "community are" It just refers to "all members of the community". At least that's how we learnt it

You can say things like "the team are", "the group are", when you are referring to the individual members. But a native speaker can correct me if I'm wrong.

And, sorry for off-topic
Quote from Fordman :
On a site note my £12 that I paid out when S2 came out, if I put that in an interest account back then, and taking an avg of 2% interest (although I know it isn't now) my £12 would of been close to £250 LOL.

I hope you're not an accountant for a living.
More like £14 mate, so don't get carried away.

Anyway, this thread is an indication that we still give a crap about LFS. It won't get us anywhere, but ah well, it never does.
Quote from sinbad :I hope you're not an accountant for a living.
More like £14 mate, so don't get carried away.

Anyway, this thread is an indication that we still give a crap about LFS. It won't get us anywhere, but ah well, it never does.

How's that Sinbad. I paid an "extra" 12 when S2 came out in 2005, so it has been sitting there all this time, I haven't used it so surely I would of made more than £2 interest in 8 yrs, not that I am bothered

Fordie

Edit ** Bloody Hell your right, just found an interest calculator LOL
Attached images
Account status.jpg
Quote from Fordman :How's that Sinbad. I paid an "extra" 12 when S2 came out in 2005, so it has been sitting there all this time, I haven't used it so surely I would of made more than £2 interest in 8 yrs, not that I am bothered

Fordie

Wow.
*BEWARE RANT*
Obviously the devs do not give a shit about the people who have made their dreams even possible. They take for granted all the licenses sold and countless years spent by said license holders to keep this community alive. If you don't agree with me, then answer me where is Rockingham? Rockingham has NOTHING to do with the tyre physics yet the only people who have ever played on it are the "beta" testers and people who have visited the machines that were put in place for the public to use (plenty of pics and videos have documented this) If the devs were honestly trying to make a living from developing this game, why have they not released this track to bring in more revenue and more license sales?

Let's also not forget about the Scirocco. We get it, they did not simulate the Scirocco to 100% realism. Every single car in LFS does not perform to 100% realistic simulation. The only way anyone will ever simulate something to 100% realism will be with loads and loads of cash to fund machines and engineers researching said simulations with more than what they can find in their garage. *END RANT*

*Props to Scavier*
I will give Scawen and Crew the credit they deserve. They made a successful racing simulator with only a 3 man crew. Their simulation is better than ANY other racing sim I have ever spent time on.

*Suggestion to Scavier*
HOWEVER, there comes a point in time where you need to give up on your stubborn "this needs done first" tactics and release something to refresh the community and let them know you still care about the 10+ years that has been dedicated by a lot of the members here.

*Conclusion*
I know my time as a licensed S2 member is not anywhere near others, but I can assure you before I was S2 I was a frequent demo driver on countless demo servers. I wish the devs would show some life in this great sim and give us some sort of update/hello/whatever.
My understanding of the status...
LFS development is still going on, at their pace.

In the past whenever Scawen answered someones question, then more questions would be fired back. If he answered them, more would follow - squared. If he didn't answer within 20 minutes, people got shirty!

So I understand why there is no communication from the devs until they have something to announce. They haven't announced the project is dead, so I assume it's continuing.

PS. we paid £12 or £24 for what the content was at the time. Nothing further was guaranteed, they are not our slaves.
the reason why scaven is not talking to the community as much as before seem to be that he does not like to get more questions or more rants whenever he says something, because this is then slowing his work and leaving a bad feeling for him.

but the ongoing communication was THE special bit what made this game so special and different to most other games and sims - and it was the beautiful part of being a member of this community that kept so many people supporting the devs.

so please scaven, even if you don´t want that active communication with the members of our fantasic racing enthusiasts comunity anymore, release some status update or statement to show something and YOUR respect for us to read only! then you do not have to bother with all the replies, rants or questions that arise from that statement. just read what you like and release another statement some time later. and don´t be so sensitive either, the forums all over the internet do have the habit that there are more rants than people saying that something is good - that is just the nature of the people, but there are still always more people silently happy than the number of people that complain!!! so get your view on that right and do not let you be so annoyed with those few complaints!

also please let us help you if you have problems with something - there are so many talented people out there able to do any task you are stuck with at the moment. yes, we know since you developed the whole game virtually on your own that might be a problem due to non standard code, but even then you could ask for suggestions or simply hand out time consuming tasks to other people.

why the interiors and rockingham raceway could not be released is beyond anything i can understand, because they have absolutely nothing to do with the new physics of which i understand that they are a very different and complex issue that takes a lot of time to complete on the high standard you aim for.

but remember your first and foremost goal you wanted to realize when you started programing this sim: you wanted to make the best racing simulator in the world COVERING ALL VEHICLE CLASSES AND RACING CIRCUITS OF ALL DIFFERENT KINDS! now years later we still only have some classes of four wheelers and mostly tarmac round roadcourses - what about truck racing? rally? hillclimb? ice racing?

at some point you have to either admit that maybe our grandchildren will see lfs as it was ment to be, or let us, the community, help you realize your dream! and do not let quality be a problem - we all learnt from lots of other games what the people are able to mod and develop - just install a good quality controll system so only top quality mods can be released. if you do not want that more work then why not make this bit a work of the community and just leave the final decisicon to yourself?
even you can manage to test one new car or one new track in a month if we narrowed down the lot for you by doing polls and whatnot here at the forums.

thank you!

peace, mo
or if you have no motivation to continue developing the game then sell it to a proper team/company. i dont care who will upgrade this game, scawen or somebody else just make something.
Quote from ferret :Sorry to be pedantic, but where is "been" and who are "could" and "would"?

E.g. Robin of Sherwood.

Correct English = Could've or Could have, would've or would have .

Normally I wouldn't have said anything, but from 2 Englishmen .

Fairly sorry about that, i type too fast for my own good, which is partly why i make a few small Mistakes, no need to be pedantic.
Quote from P1lot :In the past whenever Scawen answered someones question, then more questions would be fired back. If he answered them, more would follow - squared. If he didn't answer within 20 minutes, people got shirty!

If you can happily ignore all questions that arise from zero communication, you can happily ignore all questions that arise from a yearly "still doin' tyres" update like we got at the end of 2010 and 2011, but didn't get at the end of 2012.

--

Myself, I think it's time for a fourth member of the team, someone who does "do community".
Quote from Racon :
Myself, I think it's time for a fourth member of the team, someone who does "do community".

This was mentioned a few months ago, and I did actually email them ( via the LFS website) saying that I would be more than willing to be the "Gopher"(between Devs and the Community) free of charge and in my own time, asking for nothing in return.

Never got a reply from that, but I agree, this is something that is needed. We used to have one, Vykos was always fairly active and did talk to us, but even he has moved on to other things
It seems like more work to me, having to send out information to someone else who in turn will post it on the forum/website.

They might just do it themselves, but they don't really.

Maybe the best thing we could all do is just stay offline, make the devs think that everyone left.
That would surely put them under pressure
Quote from JSHuiting :Maybe the best thing we could all do is just stay offline, make the devs think that everyone left.

Had the same idea yesterday
#94 - col
Quote from JSHuiting :

Maybe the best thing we could all do is just stay offline, make the devs think that everyone left.

That is a great idea.

Everyone who is angry about the slow pace of development and thinks Scawen should work the way they would like should stop playing LFS and stop posting in - or even visiting - the forum... starting...... NOW.
That would be reverse psychology with a negative effect, two negative's don't make a positive.

Remember this is a positive thread, not a negative one

An Col and Flame, your sarcasm is second to non LOL

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :That would be reverse psychology with a negative effect, two negative's don't make a positive.

Remember this is a positive thread, not a negative one

An Col and Flame, your sarcasm is second to non LOL

Fordie

Maybe it's time to stop being positive and show the devs that we won't wait around forever.

Waiting 5 years for 1 car and 1 track. Dafuq are we all smoking?
Quote from edge3147 :Maybe it's time to stop being positive and show the devs that we won't wait around forever.

Waiting 5 years for 1 car and 1 track. Dafuq are we all smoking?

Smoking other sims at the moment.
Quote from Fordman :An Col and Flame, your sarcasm is second to non LOL

Uhm, what are you referring to?
We need a Wiki style life indicator on this forum.

There should be a "This user is not yet dead. Please check back later ..." box under each dev's name. The devs must refresh those boxes periodically to show that they are still there without posting anything.
Or if you search for their posts, you'll see their activity.
For example, Scawen did some moderation on iRacing thread yesterday.

Nobody is dead.
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG