The online racing simulator
Quote from Matrixi :I just hope they'll go for 1440p or 1600p eventually, 1080p is certainly a much better solution than the current 800p dev kit screen, but even 1080p Rift isn't near as sharp as a normal monitor from the average viewing distance.

Is there any reason why they can't go for a 2:1 ratio, and get a screen made for them in that size? I understand using 16:9 screens for test purposes as I guess they are available off the shelf. But there is fair bit of unused screen which does cost and weigh something. I understand there is an initial cost to create a 2:1 screen with the right physical dimensions (about 12cm x 6cm) but there will be so many customers, it seems like they should do it properly instead of messing about with compromised "wrong proportions" screens. And I think it should really be a 6cm square per eye, with the same FOV in each direction. The current "missing a bit in the middle" look of images sent to the Rift is (if I understand it right) because the screens that were available at the time just happened to be a bit too big, so the distance between 1/4 and 3/4 did not match the average eye separation.

Disclaimer : I don't really know what I am talking about, but would like to hear from someone who does!
I don't really know either, but I've wondered about the same thing. I'd guess it's mostly due to the cost of the screen, as it's basically just a bog standard cell phone/tablet unit without the touch element in there.

Currently, there's still a fair bit of black dead space visible especially on the horizontal left/right far sides, but it can be reduced a bit by bringing the screen as close to your eyes as possible and matching the lenses accordingly. I'd imagine if they used custom made screen(s) it would help reduce the dark space and give an even wider field of view.
Scawen, are there any plans to add more ffb tuning options in game? I think that is something iRacing has that I would live to see in LFS
Thousands of FFB settings to mess up? No thanks.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Thanks for the update. Nvidia 3dvision sorts everything out, I guess it would be a pretty small coding change to get it working perfectly. I use shutter glasses on my 3d projector. The nvidia drivers convert it to SBS on the fly IIRC.

Just wondering if the 3d projector can work without the nvidia thing, so you'll be able to use it directly from LFS (no nvidia software) when you get this update?

One of the LFS output settings will produce side by side (half) output like these youtube videos.
So anyone who can view these [edit : in 3D] (in full screen mode) will be able to use LFS 3D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEPm5ZUcXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h52AN-xV1d8

I'm expecting to complete the side by side (full) and top and bottom modes as well.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Scawen, are there any plans to add more ffb tuning options in game? I think that is something iRacing has that I would live to see in LFS

No. And it's not about messing up settings.

LFS's FFB system is "pure", physics based, and it's not technically correct (if possible) to add those fine tuning options into the physics based FFB. It's very natural that you don't see a long list of options.
Quote from Scawen :Hello everyone!

The developers are all alive and working on LFS.

Eric has been working on new tracks. He slowed up a bit during some of the great English summer which we don't get very often. I have enjoyed test driving on two of his new tracks which look great and I look forward to the time when they can be released.

I am still working on the tyre physics, though I haven't really made serious progress this year. I also enjoyed the summer, did a lot of cycling and running too. It's a better hobby than smoking like I used to, and I really enjoy it. But the good news is it won't pay the bills!

LFS income has gradually gone down as it always does between updates. That that has increased the urgency of finishing the tyre physics. So I plan to get down to it, make the appropriate approximations and sort out a good physically based system, with enough assumptions to make it workable, accepting that total realism is an unachievable goal.

I just got a bit excited about stereoscopic 3d support, which some people will like because they'll be able to see LFS in 3d on a 3d TV, if their TV supports "side-by-side" or "top and bottom" mode. Also headsets should be supported if they accept one of those output modes. The old headsets that require specific support and sequential output will not be supported. For example a Sony HMZ works but a Vuzix VR920 does not. A more recent Vuzix should work but the field of view is not really good enough to give you peripheral vision. I'm not sure how much it will benefit the Oculus Rift at the moment. I think that depends on a pixel shader to provide the proper distortion, which I think is not available in D3D8. Anyway, one of the output options will be non-squashed (full) side-by-side 3D, which may possibly make it easier to use the Oculus Rift. Anyway it is a step in that direction. It does appear that the current Oculus Rift's resolution is too low for a racing simulator at the moment. Anyway I should be able to post a 3d test patch in a few days, I'm guessing early next week. Some people will enjoy that, though I realise most people, like me, don't have 3d equipment.

Victor is still with us, although he has indeed got another job, which looks like a really good one, putting his excellent skills to more use. I'm pleased for him about that, as his job here wasn't often really full time, although he is an absolutely vital member of our team. He needed a job as well because our profit share isn't one third each and depends on our actual contributions to the project. Victor started later and never has so much work, so for that reason only, his profit share was a bit of a tight squeeze to live on, specially with the gradual reduction in profits while we are waiting for a serious update.

People ask why I don't come here more often with progress reports. But there hasn't been enough progress to give a report. And it's not appealing to come here and say that. Every month I've thought I would be making more progress, and would have some good progress to report the following month. Hope you see what I mean...

Anyway, we do have to pay the bills and I'm very interested to get the better feeling tyre model out there for everyone to enjoy. You've heard it all before so I don't expect great enthusiasm. It will take a while yet, but hopefully not too long.

Thank you Scawen, although you say in your words, same old same old, that actually means a lot to us members what you have posted.

Cheers

Fordie

Like my Nan told me, it's not what you say, it's how you say it

Thank to Nilex and Ripley, litchen, Vykos ( YAY you are alive) for your messages but we are all in this together....as you can see, Ruditurbo and Flotch, Litchen, Vykos ( the Original LFS Salesman ) coming back out of the woodwork....all is good
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Cards on the table, I thought Fordie was fairly naïve by asking the question in the way that he was. I was like "srsly, we've done this 1000 times!".

Apparently I was wrong.

You are forgiven LOL j/k
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for your kind offer. I don't think I will take you up on it, but I'll remember this in case it turns out to be a good idea.

from what ive read developing somethign that works well with the rift is a lot more than merely getting the 3d to work properly (problem areas are for example the hud and menus)
juding by developer comments ive seen having one to test with is probably necessary to make the game not just compatible but good

Quote from Scawen :The dev kit is still the old low-res one and there are no confirmed plans to release a HD dev kit.

my read on the situation is a 1080 dev kit would push the dev kit from "good enough to work with" to "good enough to own as a gamer" which would make them sold out forever
and they probably dont have any solid contracts to source large quantities of the dev kit components

Quote from Scawen :Is there any reason why they can't go for a 2:1 ratio, and get a screen made for them in that size?

from what i know about sourcing smartphone type parts based on their usual customers manufacturers in that market arent interested in talking to you unless youre ordering huge quantities
and having a part developed just for you will probably come with an upfront cost that probably requeries you to sell in the millions

Quote :And I think it should really be a 6cm square per eye, with the same FOV in each direction. The current "missing a bit in the middle" look of images sent to the Rift is (if I understand it right) because the screens that were available at the time just happened to be a bit too big, so the distance between 1/4 and 3/4 did not match the average eye separation.

no your eyes dont have 100% overlapping fov and thus the images sent to them must not be identical for a realistic experience
http://www.vision-and-eye-heal ... ages/VisualFieldHoriz.gif
All those silence years and yet no progress! Thanks for the update Scawen!
Quote from Takumi_lfs :All those silence years and yet no progress! Thanks for the update Scawen!

Holy ****ing shit. You're the most gigantic broken record ever. Why even bother posting or continuing to check up on LFS if EVERY ****ING POST maintains the same message and tone of "Thanks but no thanks!".

If you're so frustrated, negative and frankly stupid to continue to post such drivel, why bother posting? Does it make you feel like you're a better person to bitch and whine about things outside of your control? It doesn't, and makes you look like a massive twat.
Hey, I have the same right as you to be on this forum. To be honest, the one that's really frustrated is you here.

I don't want to call you names and all you know. Even though I don't have to, cause everyone knows what kind of shit you are on this forum.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Holy ****ing shit. You're the most gigantic broken record ever. Why even bother posting or continuing to check up on LFS if EVERY ****ING POST maintains the same message and tone of "Thanks but no thanks!".

If you're so frustrated, negative and frankly stupid to continue to post such drivel, why bother posting? Does it make you feel like you're a better person to bitch and whine about things outside of your control? It doesn't, and makes you look like a massive twat.

End Quote !!!! except for the last bit, don't condone wagging a finger at anybody ....
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Hey, I have the same right as you to be on this forum. To be honest, the one that's really frustrated is you here.

I don't want to call you names and all you know. Even though I don't have to, cause everyone knows what kind of shit you are on this forum.

When every single post that I see you make referring to LFS seems to be negative towards various aspects, that's fairly clear evidence of frustration.
Right people, Scawen has replied, as we asked in the first post, and please, can we just take this on board and do what the poster says

Fordie
Attached images
keep.jpg
You can decide what to read and what not, no one is forcing you in here. I can have my opinion about the progress about the game too you know. And if you wanna go on let's take it to pm's cause this will break Scawen's heart
I just don't understand why you'd continue to post displeasure about something outside of your control. It's not going to make Scawen work faster. He's not gonna come on the forum go "omg, takumi is mad, better work!". It's irrelevant drivel and a waste of your time to post useless comments along the lines of "Thanks for the non-progress report".
I have time to waste once in a while, what about you? You seem to have only time to waste and pick on fights in here.

And fyi, you don't make any rules in here. We both are customers, one which is happy and the other one ain't..
Quote from Fordman : Quote:
Originally Posted by dawesdust_12
Cards on the table, I thought Fordie was fairly naïve by asking the question in the way that he was. I was like "srsly, we've done this 1000 times!".

Apparently I was wrong.

You are forgiven LOL j/k

Although it has no fck to do with it. Scawen was responding on a twitter quote flame CZE posted here. Could be in any random forum post anywhere on the forum.
Just a small simple question Scawen if You read it. Can we expect some screenshots of these new tracks? If yes, when? If no, why not? Is it not completed?
I don't want to be an arse but I fear any changes that come to LFS now will be too late.

You'd be better to just start a new project in my opinion.
Quote from BlueFlame :I don't want to be an arse but I fear any changes that come to LFS now will be too late.

You'd be better to just start a new project in my opinion.

Jake, it's so cliché to use the underhanded insult strategy of "I don't mean to be <xxx> but <statement making person out to be xxx>".

Be more original! Call more people twats. Get rowdy in this place!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :jake, it's so cliché to use the underhanded insult strategy of "i don't mean to be <xxx> but <statement making person out to be xxx>".

Be more original! Call more people twats. Get rowdy in this place!

you maijka di lol
Hahaha Dubstin. I must admit you got me laughing for once.

Thanks for the heads up Scawen, good to see you alive and kicking once in a while. Hope your work will go smoothly.
Quote from Shotglass :no your eyes dont have 100% overlapping fov and thus the images sent to them must not be identical for a realistic experience
http://www.vision-and-eye-heal ... ages/VisualFieldHoriz.gif

I understand that point but I don't think it's valid until you have a VR device with fields of view approaching those real fields of view.

I get it... the top part of my nose blocks some left FOV from my right eye and some right FOV from my left eye. But the Oculus Rift has only around 90 degrees FOV for each eye, still nowhere near reality, so I don't believe that creating different FOV for each eye makes it more realistic... my right eye can see more than 45 degrees left. So, that "missing central bit" in the oculus rift would only simulate having a massive nose bone or sticking a piece of cardboard to your nose.

I see that argument you posted (which I did read before somewhere) as something like an excuse or justification for the use of the larger screen that they were forced to use for economic or supply reasons. I'm still convinced that while FOV is only around 90 degrees, the left and right angle should ideally be the same in each eye.
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG