The online racing simulator
The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
How many GB of RAM does it need? 16? 32? It took 10 mins on the clock to load till pits and actually move the car. I have 4GB btw and I have no trouble running the majority of latest games. So... that brings up the question: What the **** is this shit?
Holy moly, they still haven't hired a new UI designer.

Judging by the demo, I can't see myself paying 80 euros for this.
Yeah, it'd rather horrible. The game still looks like it's from 1920 or something. The physics aren't really convincing either. I only liked the old F1 cars on Spa.
goofy pls

AC has no direct competitor so far.
Worst demo I've ever played, it's much worse than even rFactor 1. The rear view "camera" literally looked like something from one of the first 2d racing games ever made, the physics.... I guess you could call them physics?

Really not impressed!
Was sort of the expectation I thought from fanboys

Anyhoooo, anyone tried T5 1.2?

It has the new DRS system from the DTM cars and it does work good at the moment.

Had a blast on Croft yesterday and went around in 1:13.804 and it felt really fun around there.
Quote from Dennis93 :Was sort of the expectation I thought from fanboys

Anyhoooo, anyone tried T5 1.2?

It has the new DRS system from the DTM cars and it does work good at the moment.

Had a blast on Croft yesterday and went around in 1:13.804 and it felt really fun around there.

This, T5 is pure awesomenessssness. Done serveral laps with Dennis and you get great racing with those cars.
I quite liked rF2 feeling, and the FFB feeling. And this considering that in my book, I find LFS the absolute standard. Only AC could surpass both..but still.. rF2's not that bad, on the contrary

Anyways,
this T5 is for rF1 or rF2 ?
had a go at the RF2 demo and as said above, its actually enjoyable but nothing special.

Certainly alot more refreshing than LFS
The most glaring issue that I see is inconsistency.

Which means the physics are not nearly "unified" enough. Some cars feel very good, others... not so much.
I was bored and decided that is time to dust off rf2, last time I played they had 191 build, now 342, there is some improvements

Love the rain (spray is awesome), and half drying track, non static marshals and flagman's, grate atmosphere

But main reason I played is because they got my beloved CanAm car, the Lola T70 mk2,mk3, and damn it's good, best car in the game no doubt

Empty Box says the same thing, ... A Car Worth Driving"

rFactor 2 : Best rF2 Combo to ... 65 @ Longford + Pedalcam)
I'll ignore all of that guys opinion since he spends most his time racing AI. :S
I think it is the dumbest thing ever to set race start at certain time online lobbies. If i want to wait hours for a race to start I can pay iracing for that.
Quote from Hyperactive :I think it is the dumbest thing ever to set race start at certain time online lobbies. If i want to wait hours for a race to start I can pay iracing for that.

explain please why you think it's the dumbest thing ever. I think it's better for certain race lengths. if it's a 20 minute race, I dont want to wait 15 minutes if I join a server right at the beginning. Also, if I want to skip qualifying (in lets say rfactor) I want to know when the race starts so I know when to join the server. LFS with 3 laps races doesn't need that tough. Mainly also because you dont qualify before.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :explain please why you think it's the dumbest thing ever. I think it's better for certain race lengths. if it's a 20 minute race, I dont want to wait 15 minutes if I join a server right at the beginning. Also, if I want to skip qualifying (in lets say rfactor) I want to know when the race starts so I know when to join the server. LFS with 3 laps races doesn't need that tough. Mainly also because you dont qualify before.

Set times for race start = wait for the races to start.

The way I see it there are now three kinds of online racing "systems".

There is the iracing system which has progression so in a way you need to earn safety rating to progress to higher level stuff. The main point though is that the races are scheduled to start at certain times and outside of the official races the only thing you can do is to practise (or drive in leagues). Or drive some other car/track combo else. I got into iracing as early as the doors opened and for me it took something like half a year to get bored. I log in, I choose a car I want to drive and the next race is 2 hours from now. I don't like waiting.

That being said there are pluses and negatives in every type of sim racing. The strongest points of the iracing system are: 1) every car and track is used 2) there is a race happening for every car, at least on popular hours. You can race every car. 3) there is skill metric and a system that tries to provide equal opponents for every skill level. The races are also longer but that is imho not an automatic plus. Also generally you race against unknowns most of the time. Learning to know the other drivers is difficult.

Then there is the traditional lobby system. Races are generally shorter and there are basically no restrictions who can enter and race. There is no skill based matchmaker, there is no schedule for cars nor tracks. There could be active host on the server who keeps the racing clean, most of the time there isn't. Driving quality generally is lower, both as in driver speed and safety.

The races are going on all the time. During one hour you can do 3-5 races easily. If you find an active server. Generally the waiting times are non existent. The problems are that certain tracks and cars are unproportionally popular while some other cars are rarely used. Biggest positive is that you get to do lots of races. You learn the racecraft and the peculiarities of the cars at faster rate because you get to do more races. Out of all time you spend on the server you spend a much bigger portion racing.

When I was trying the oval racing in iracing it was practically impossible to practise tracks like lowes (charlotte?) because on practise servers everybody drove the normal racing line but in races it was superspeedwayracing. Driving in single line and hugging the bottom of the track all the way around the lap. To learn that it takes quite a few races and as a result you end up causing lots of accidents because everything is new. On normal servers you get to practise flying starts, safety cars, pitting and tire strategies multiple times during one hour but on iracing you get only one chance every 2 hours to get it perfect.

Then there are leagues. Very competitive, generally very little racing for the time invested. Lots of practicing, long races with special rules. Very fun but also demanding. Races once per week or less. You learn to know the other drivers and over the time you will very likely find some other driver who has similar pace.

There is nothing more than I'd want more than to spread the players to use all the content more evenly. But I don't want to do it at the cost of waiting. I still want to race when I want and not when the clock says I can. For ultimate solution I think the real answer is somewhere between the traditional model and the iracing system. For less popular cars and tracks a scheduled system might be the way to go. But not for everything
Well, one is a start. Why are there no more non-slick non-downforce cars for RF2 anyway?
Lol guys.

Today I got the feeling that I should try rFactor 2 for the first time and in case I would like I was prepared to buy the lifetime subscription...

So I went to official rF2 site, opened up download section and started downloading demo. As soon as download ended I got this message from Chrome saying it's a malware. (attached)

I know it's obviously false alert, but I took time and went to this thread as I wanted to ask... Do you think rF2 has potential for sim-racing? Are leagues running rF1 moved to rF2? I do not have rF1 on my HDD a long time, so I don't know how it looks like now.

My point is that I wanted to "upgrade" all my sims to more modern format. i.e. rF1 to rF2, nkP to AC, Race 07 to RRRE...

Currently I have LFS, AC, RRRE, GTR2 and Race 07 installed. Do you think rF2 is worth in long-term?
Attached images
rfactor malicious.png
The transition for leagues from rF1 to rF2 is going pretty slow. But new ones are already there. also there is racedepartment and race2play who have races and champs there.
If you like to play multiple sims then it deserves a spot in the list, especially if you have no problem playing Race 07 etc.

It's not AC or maybe even LFS physics wise, but if you take the GTR out at night on old SPA for example, it gives you an experience you don't get in other sims. The rain and RealRoad tech are quite nice as well.
Tried the corvette z06. Wet 7 lap race against the ai. Amazing fun to drive. The rain, the sideways sliding and how predictably fun the car is to drive. The ai felt kinda slow although I had the ai at 99% with 66% aggression. The rain did look kinda bad though although it could be that my new pc master race gpu could handle more eyecandy that I had setup. The corvette sounds like crap but drives great!

Probably need to try the new cobra next. There is still littel lack of feel for me. At times I don't really feel if I'm going too fast or slow. Maybe that is just lack of practise though.

Definitely more fun than the endless gt3 races on nordschleife in ac...

The traffic havoc comes in after 1:30 onwoards.
One quali lap, onboard with commentary to make sense of the sowing that's going on the wheel.

This footage is from official qualifying session at premier Virtual Endurance Championship hosted in rFactor2 simulator.
Join the stream on Saturday the 7th of May to support Team Vires.
Comment, Subscribe and Like if we're your favorite.

The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG