The online racing simulator
Post your Car two
(2437 posts, started )
Why not a V10 while you're at it? I think, like he said, it's because of fuel consumption?
The 18d is just a restricted 20d. Totally enough for daily driving, even on the motorways. At least I never felt my 20d weak so far... Maybe because I don't drive like an idiot and I'm not a red light drag hero...

The 30d is an overkill imo, I tried an e61 30d (230hp), got wheelspin in 3rd on a rainy day, it pulls like mofo. Would be a great choice for Germany's unrestricted motorways, but other than that, you'll be totally fine with the 18d.
Quote from Jakg :Don't take this the wrong way, but... a 318d?

Why not a 320d (at least) or a 330d or similar? I would of thought a "petrolhead" would of wanted something a bit more powerful.

Buying a powerful car for daily driving is for wannabe boyracing #swag streetracers #yolo.
318d is enough, considering he has a drift car for powerful car needs.
Quote from Bose321 :Why not a V10 while you're at it? I think, like he said, it's because of fuel consumption?

In the real world does 320d really use any more fuel than a 318d? And a 330d does have 2 extra cylinders so does do a little less MPG but were talking like 5-10% - nothing massive.
Quote from Jakg :Don't take this the wrong way, but... a 318d?

Why not a 320d (at least) or a 330d or similar? I would of thought a "petrolhead" would of wanted something a bit more powerful.

a petrolhead would never get a diesel in the first place
Quote from e2mustang :a petrolhead would never get a diesel in the first place

Was going to say that, I would never have a diesel as a daily driver. Maybe in the past when Diesel engines got better mpg but today most petrol city cars will be able to get about the same as their diesel counterpart. I'm not sure about in other countries but diesel cost a lot more then petrol (5p/L difference in my town) so it's not worth it.

Back on topic my Celica just went out on the first drive and my douche friend in his Clio who always used to overtake me when I'm in the astra couldn't keep up with me. It just doesn't seem to run out of power even right up at the red line (in my astra anything over 5K rpm and it basically dies)
I need/want something wich is good on fuel. 318D has enough power for me (136bhp)and is very comfortable. That's all I need. In case I want it, I can get it remapped to 180bhp and 400nm.
318D also for insurance, they will rape me for a 163bhp one (320d)
Quote from tbofram :Was going to say that, I would never have a diesel as a daily driver. Maybe in the past when Diesel engines got better mpg but today most petrol city cars will be able to get about the same as their diesel counterpart. I'm not sure about in other countries but diesel cost a lot more then petrol (5p/L difference in my town) so it's not worth it.

My dad's 2013 F31 BMW 318d does 60mpg in the city (BTW still breaking in, the car has less then 1000mi), my 2010 Ford Fiesta MK7 1.4 LPG does 45mpg at its best when it is going in petrol mode, 42mpg in LPG mode. A quite big wagon with a 2.0l engine and 143bhp uses much less fuel than a city car with a 1.4l engine and 96bhp (petrol) or 92bhp (LPG), and I like economy runs.
Here in Italy petrol is now 1,8€/l and diesel is 1,7€/l, in Germany where my dad lives it's 1,4€/l and 1,3€/l. Here in Europe it is usually better to buy a diesel if you eat kilometers, higher price at first but less fuel consumption and smaller price for the fuel. In Canada and the US I don't really know, but I think it could be the other way round.
Quote from e2mustang :my new car. only cost me 600 GBP

You bought from Halfrauds!? For real? They sell shit for so much and it's always shit quality.
you know some halfords stuff is actually bluepoint which is made by snap-on? anyway,it is industrial quality,i went to see it its pretty massive,and the end of the all i need is to store my tools. it will do the same job as a snap on box for 1500 this size
Quote from BlueFlame :You bought from Halfrauds!? For real? They sell shit for so much and it's always shit quality.

I have one of the Halfords "Professional" toolkits, and while it's no Snap-On toolkit it's pretty much all the tools I need for "normal" spannering (EDIT - of course you always need some breaker bars as well) and really good quality when compared to my other tools - can't complain for less than £100.
The halfords ring spanners always break and so do the open ended ones. If you're just doing jobs around the house, they'll suffice but hard labour on a car or engineering job and they'll all be dead by the end of a week.

It's not so much the quality I have a problem with, but the price of that quality. You can get cheaper tools and kit from somewhere like Machine Mart and the quality is 10 fold.
Quote from freddyalek90 :My dad's 2013 F31 BMW 318d does 60mpg in the city (BTW still breaking in, the car has less then 1000mi), my 2010 Ford Fiesta MK7 1.4 LPG does 45mpg at its best when it is going in petrol mode, 42mpg in LPG mode. A quite big wagon with a 2.0l engine and 143bhp uses much less fuel than a city car with a 1.4l engine and 96bhp (petrol) or 92bhp (LPG), and I like economy runs.
Here in Italy petrol is now 1,8€/l and diesel is 1,7€/l, in Germany where my dad lives it's 1,4€/l and 1,3€/l. Here in Europe it is usually better to buy a diesel if you eat kilometers, higher price at first but less fuel consumption and smaller price for the fuel. In Canada and the US I don't really know, but I think it could be the other way round.

In the US/Canada, petrol is indeed cheaper than diesel. Here it's the other way around like you said. I do allot of long distance trips, I go to the coast allot on the weekends (2 hour drives with allot of traffic jams) and just drive around allot in general.. So it's really becoming expensive to keep doing it in a petrol car.

Three wheelin'
Quote from Jakg :I have one of the Halfords "Professional" toolkits, and while it's no Snap-On toolkit it's pretty much all the tools I need for "normal" spannering (EDIT - of course you always need some breaker bars as well) and really good quality when compared to my other tools - can't complain for less than £100.

You clearly don't use your tools often.
Cheapies are great if you work on your car occasionally...took me a few years to work out buying cheap replacements is more expensive than buying a good quality set straight from the start.
Snapped so many cheapies doing exhaust/manifold/turbo studs...

If you want Snap-on quality with a cheaper price, bluepoint is win
Cheap shit always comes out more expensive. It's just that some people can't justify the price of the decent stuff in the beginning.
We use Facom/Gedore tools, pretty decent aswel. We have 2 full toolboxes (ones they use in garages) of them.
Quote from Scrabby :In the US/Canada, petrol is indeed cheaper than diesel. Here it's the other way around like you said. I do allot of long distance trips, I go to the coast allot on the weekends (2 hour drives with allot of traffic jams) and just drive around allot in general.. So it's really becoming expensive to keep doing it in a petrol car.

Definitely diesel is the best choice for you then. Your future 18d has the same power as my 20d (136hp) and I average 7L/100km, but I do much more city driving than motorway, so it will be even lower if you do mostly long distance, maybe around 6-6,5.
Quote from Klutch :You clearly don't use your tools often.
Cheapies are great if you work on your car occasionally...took me a few years to work out buying cheap replacements is more expensive than buying a good quality set straight from the start.

The Halfords Pro stuff has a lifetime warranty, never had to use it myself though
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Definitely diesel is the best choice for you then. Your future 18d has the same power as my 20d (136hp) and I average 7L/100km, but I do much more city driving than motorway, so it will be even lower if you do mostly long distance, maybe around 6-6,5.

Even lower
My dad now has the new Z4 and before that an E90 Touring. It could do 4-5l on motorway, so really good.
Quote from Klutch :You clearly don't use your tools often.

I use my tools all the time. I have cheap tools - they suck. Halfords Pro range isn't what I would describe as "cheap" nor is it rubbish, and it's fine for me - but maybe if I used them every day for 20 years then more expensive ones would be worth it.
I don't think we have halfords here. I assumed it was on par with supercheapauto/repco(Which you probably don't know) crap since everyone seems to talk shit about the place
Quote from _Rob_ :The Halfords Pro stuff has a lifetime warranty, never had to use it myself though

Well you'd rather be able to use what you paid for rather than continually waiting for free replacements.

As we say around these parts. "you get what you pay for." Whilst sometimes you can get a bargain quality item, 99% of the time the hint is in the price and when it comes to toolage and kit of the sort, I (personally) only want the absolute best.

Also, you'd be suprised how many warranties actually never get claimed, because the majority of people won't be arsed to phonecall a replacement toolset just for 1 bust spanner.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well you'd rather be able to use what you paid for rather than continually waiting for free replacements.

As we say around these parts. "you get what you pay for." Whilst sometimes you can get a bargain quality item, 99% of the time the hint is in the price and when it comes to toolage and kit of the sort, I (personally) only want the absolute best.

Also, you'd be suprised how many warranties actually never get claimed, because the majority of people won't be arsed to phonecall a replacement toolset just for 1 bust spanner.

From the people I know who've used the warranty, they take the broken tool to the store, and come out with a new one - quick and easy. The tools are of decent quality, especially for the (often reduced) prices.
And in the time it takes to go to the store you'd already have the job done by then, besides, if it's your car you're working on and you car is in disrepair, thats a nice walk, or expensive taxi or bus journey :P

Post your Car two
(2437 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG