The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
No Lancer yet, being worked on though.
Quote from Gabkicks :wow people actually downvoted assetto corsa? i have been oblivious to the drama.

Is the lancer evolution not out? or only available to senior members?

It took quite a while for Mitsu to get the needed reference to them, so exterior work only just restarted recently IIRC, and there's some other higher priority vehicles in the works at the moment I think.
Evo will be there tomorrow for everyone

Assetto corsa showed via screenshots that it has better graphics imo. This also looks good but corsa was lacking the detail they advertised, so i think it will be the same case for this sim.
Err? Last time I checked pCARS looks 10 times better.
Quote from xtraction :Assetto corsa showed via screenshots that it has better graphics imo. This also looks good but corsa was lacking the detail they advertised, so i think it will be the same case for this sim.

these are actual ingame screenshots. not "advertisements" though.
Quote from Bose321 :Err? Last time I checked pCARS looks 10 times better.

Ya think? Go get your eyes tested. Reality doesn't look like pCars.
Quote from tristancliffe :Ya think? Go get your eyes tested. Reality doesn't look like pCars.

I've got them tested. Now what?

We were comparing AC with pCars. Where did I say reality looks like pCars?
Well, AC looks quite real.
pCars looks like some sort of Tolkien fantasy world.

So, which looks better? The one that looks 'real' or the one that 'doesn't'?
i've been wonder for a long time how difficult it would be for pcars to change to a more realistic color palate/lighting. hopefully that changes or they give an option. Maybe when the HDR improves they will offer more options. I thought gt5 did a better job with color choice and AC is closer to that than pcars. Under certain times of day, PCars looks pretty realistic.
Quote from Gabkicks :Under certain times of day, PCars looks pretty realistic.

Night time. With a new moon. And heavy cloud cover. On tracks with no light pollution.

I agree that pCars has more toys in the graphics department at the moment, and arguably looks fancier, but I wouldn't say it looks better or more realistic. The graphics are best described as "odd".
Are these genuine, playable, in-game, unaltered graphics??????
Yes.
Quote from maxpower85 :Evo will be there tomorrow for everyone

[Ridiculoulsy large image]

Tomorrow came early
Quote from tristancliffe :Are these genuine, playable, in-game, unaltered graphics??????

Yep! Say what you will about the physics, but the graphics engine is damned impressive.

Right now (don't know about full release) there is a plethora of options to tweak near every aspect of it, as well, and some users have come up with stuff that looks incredibly realistic. AC, out of the box, looks more realistic but pCARS does have the edge with the technology being used and, at the moment, the customizability. There was a discussion at one point about what 'feel' the graphics should have by default, and how many (if any) options for this feel there should be at release. It's interesting to say the least.
Mine never, ever looks like that. Admittedly I haven't played it for 2 or 3 weeks, but I doubt it's changed THAT much in that time.

And also admittedly I only ever see stuff from the in car camera. I don't ever use 'photo' modes, and I've not used a replay in a racing game for about 6 years.
That's all in-game without some lame 'photo-mode' like consoles have where everything only looks good there.

I'll have to admit you have to crank everything up quite high to achieve that, which also means some PC muscle is needed.

I'm quite excited for the release tomorrow; they've implemented an API for developers, so hopefully there's Fanaleds support after that version.
an update came out today actually. I am about to try it now.
Quote from Gabkicks :an update came out today actually. I am about to try it now.

Interesting. Could you check in the options screen, under 'Help&Options'->'Gameplay'->'Use Shared Memory', if that is there?
it is: what is that for?
Quote from Gabkicks :it is: what is that for?

It writes a memory file which can be used by applications to read telemetry information from the game, which can then be used to display it somewhere. It's used for Fanaleds for example.

Do you have any Fanatec wheels, or a G27 (does it have native support in pCars?) near you?
Quote from tristancliffe :Mine never, ever looks like that. Admittedly I haven't played it for 2 or 3 weeks, but I doubt it's changed THAT much in that time.

And also admittedly I only ever see stuff from the in car camera. I don't ever use 'photo' modes, and I've not used a replay in a racing game for about 6 years.

The biggest problem, graphically, is the jagged edges on high contrast things (like a sharp highlight on a tiny radius), but that's alleviated by downsampling; which most people don't have a powerful enough rig for. The lighting and raindrops and all that jazz is part of the engine and those screenshots are raw shots from the sim that are not edited (except for cropping and resizing). Your mileage may vary, though; I've not had my graphics THAT amazing, either, and I run mostly maxed out. It's mostly just getting that one choice angle in the right light that really makes a quality image, and you never get that while you're racing because you're never in the right setting :P

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG