The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
Quote from cargame.nl :Understatement.

Appalling is the right word. Ultragrip, unrealistic braking, no sliding, nothing. Collision handling ridiculous.

No the current state I can call unraceable.

But, it's still early phase, let's see how it evolves.

We must be on diffrent sims,,,, did you turn off, brake assist, steering assist, tration control, ESP and ABS?
Try diffrent cars in diffrent weather conditions....
Sorry I must disagree.
Yeah.. I tried superkart in the meantime and Im sticking with that one for a while.

It still feels strange but less strange then the hillclimb thing I used before (cant remember the name).

Collision handling still is ridiculous though. They also added tunnel sounds effects lately. Just fake.. But.. Well.. I notice improvements between builds, I like that
Today's build with many new things, specially for Junior Members:

Formula Junior (a Formula Ford kind of car)
notMonaco circuit
notNordscheleiffe circuit

Also, as always, new FFB and physics exports.

This is a work in progress process. Some of us are experiencing for the first time the development of a Sim, even more with the particularity that is being built with the yeys and neys of all of us. Who tested the first builds in October / November knows that there were major evolutions in FFB, car physics, tire physics, CPU/GPU usage optimizations, etc. And for today stage, many mistakes were made by SMS, many steps back were taken to be able to give the double or the triple ahead.

Above all, SMS is working on a completely different tire model, curiously based on some of the principles LFS is based on, that was talked to be available in the end of this year (please read: AJ's Thread).

Honestly, I see myself before probably the best sim for the next years. I don't care about eye-candies and super-details, I care for fun and car feel. I want to grab my wheel and feel that I'm driving something that seams (or sims :P ) like a car on my PC. I played most of the sims in the market today, with this time order:

- LFS
- Race 07 / GTR Evolution
- rFactor 1
- NKPro
- IRacing

From this list, the ones that I like the most are definitely LFS and NKPro. The FFB, the immersion and the feel I get on the wheel are miles ahead in these two from the others. And PCARS is nowadays, in my opinion (that counts as one single person's opinion) very close to them.

PCARS is, with the new Assetto Corsa, the most expected sim in my "chart" of expectations. rFactor 2 is not that appealing to me, iRacing is too expensive and GTR3 seams to be a complete flop. Unfortunately, I don't expect much from LFS either, not because of it's potential but because of the lack of evolutions on it.

I waited almost 2 years for an update from 0.5 Z28 to 0.6b, when in PCARS updates with the same importance are released on a weekly basis. Ok, the resources are uncomparible, but it has taken too much time and too less feedback to keep believing something good will come up.

Although, I went in some nice DEMO races last night and Wednesday night! LFS is still great fun.
I haven't given pCARS an honest go in a little while... Probably will pick it up again in a few weeks and see how the FFB has progressed. That was the major drawback it had last time I drove in it; it felt like most of the others.

rF2 with the old formula cars and LFS are still on top for FFB for me. I haven't played LFS in over a year, though, at least. I miss the FOX at SO...
Quote from NunoMike :T
Above all, SMS is working on a completely different tire model, curiously based on some of the principles LFS is based on, that was talked to be available in the end of this year (please read: AJ's Thread).

Could you post the contents? I can't get in there. Would like to read.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Could you post the contents? I can't get in there. Would like to read.

All the content is impossible. 14 pages of technical stuff and what is the basis for all.

Maybe I can make a summary in a near future. I'll try, I promise, unless someone do it for me...
It is a brush model, correct?
Just spend 10 Euro's / 12 dollar.

Its no waste. I think everyone will do it in the end. Except the ones with lower specced computers (mine is too atm but I would gladly upgrade).

LFS sadly looks like beating a dead horse. Sorry to say.
Finally Nordschleife availlable !!!

Pre alpha stage atm, no more than a track floating in the air with no environment whatsoever, but hey it's already drivable !!! And if it developes like bathurst did pace and quality wise, I'll be more than pleased with it!!

Undercover track name: EIFELWALD
Quote from rediske :Finally Nordschleife availlable !!!

Pre alpha stage atm, no more than a track floating in the air with no environment whatsoever, but hey it's already drivable !!! And if it developes like bathurst did pace and quality wise, I'll be more than pleased it!!

Undercover track name: EIFELWALD

really...going to update.
it's a very VERY early incarnation of nordschlieffe. The best times are ridiculous and the surface feels too grippy. But yeah, VERY early build, in an alpha game.
Probably going to get this eventually. What are the indications of the ease of pickup games? That's the thing that keeps bringing me back to LFS, the ease at which you can just jump in and be driving with real people without having to piss about joining leagues and pre-booking time off to do it.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Probably going to get this eventually. What are the indications of the ease of pickup games? That's the thing that keeps bringing me back to LFS, the ease at which you can just jump in and be driving with real people without having to piss about joining leagues and pre-booking time off to do it.

Not entirely sure as multiplayer is not added to any builds yet.

A few have brought up LFS's quick pick up racing as a good thing though, so hopefully they take notice
Well.. You can start your own servers, based on JAVA (not that great but at least its multi platform).

So, looking good.

Current status here; http://forum.wmdportal.com/for ... .php?46-pCARS-Multiplayer

interesting netcode by the way too...

Quote :With p2p the ping is lower and most useful to minimise latency in close racing. The DS however is the only practical option for supporting a larger quantity of players and where direct p2p connections cannot be achieved (strict NAT, strict firewall etc). pCARS will support both, that is it will always open connections to the DS but it will also attempt to connect directly and utilise p2p when appropriate.

(DS = dedicated server).

So, when it is possible/faster to communicate locally between racers then this option is used. Otherwise through DS. Saves bandwidth for the server owner too.

What game/sim uses such a method already? Can't think of any. I'm curious how this all turns out in practice.

Sounds like a potential security hazard :|
Most Xbox 360 games use p2p, and some do allow the host to choose dedicated or p2p like Rainbow Six Vegas. But I don't know of any that choose based on what's fastest at the time.
Ive been impressed with it for the 4-5 months ive been on there, it brings back all the good memories from 10 years ago when LFS was starting up, the fact that it felt like every day something new was being implemented and there was some community involvement. Its easy to have regular progress when its so early in the development (so was LFS) but the whole things brings back positive memories, memories which sadly had been replaced by those of waiting years for any sign of progress, 6 months for any kind of indication that there was progress.

I cant judge FFB and physics, i drive what feels drivable. I didnt like the feel of rFactor or iRacing, yet i like LFS and pCARS (not to say they feel similar), so ive enjoyed it from day 1 to be honest.

What really makes my jaw drop is the effort they've put into the weather & lighting system, its amazing. Being able to pick any day of the year, and a time of day, and know the sun will set at the realistic location as it would that day IRL. Its silly, and wont make that much difference to racing, just like individually rendered clouds on different layers, but i still find it amazing. They could use a dome, instead they created something as realistic as is feasible. If they make the same effort with the FFB, Phys, MP code etc, as they have with the lighting & weather, it should be something special. The cars & tracks are certainly stunning.

Also, havent seen it mentioned, but the Nordschleife/Eifelwald track isnt available to the Junior license, its Team Members+ same as the 2 country road tracks. Dont want people signing up for the €10 account only to find they cant try it unless they pay more again.
Quote from PaulC2K :Also, havent seen it mentioned, but the Nordschleife/Eifelwald track isnt available to the Junior license, its Team Members+ same as the 2 country road tracks. Dont want people signing up for the €10 account only to find they cant try it unless they pay more again.

Didn't know that! (Then again, I really haven't been paying much attention...)

I'm finding myself less and less interested in pCARS these days. All I want to do now is drive the 60s F2 cars in rF. =/
unfortunately the biggest areas that need work are FFB, Phys, MP,something im not sure they can get right,they need to focus on these key areas instead of releasing pre alpha tracks that are almost imposible to drive.
the physics are just,meh,very hit and miss,but still along way to go,fingers crossed it dont get watered down for the consoles,almost like it is now
Tango
Quote from Tango :unfortunately the biggest areas that need work are FFB, Phys, MP,something im not sure they can get right,they need to focus on these key areas instead of releasing pre alpha tracks that are almost imposible to drive.
the physics are just,meh,very hit and miss,but still along way to go,fingers crossed it dont get watered down for the consoles,almost like it is now
Tango

All those things are the areas that need more work to tune in. But above all, I really prefer the actual PCARS to rFactor 1 in physics and FFB. There are things missing, but we know they keep working on it and, above all, listening to the community's feedback.
Quote from Tango :unfortunately the biggest areas that need work are FFB, Phys, MP,something im not sure they can get right,they need to focus on these key areas instead of releasing pre alpha tracks that are almost imposible to drive.
Tango

It gets said over and over on the pCARS forum, and i dont quite get how people get confused by it.

The people who build tracks and vehicles will NEVER be involved in coding FFB, Physics, MP, or similar areas. Its not their area of expertise.

They release early revisions of tracks because thats what they have and sometimes they need input. The Nordschleife isnt exactly a piece of cake, and just because theres no trees, hills, and the odd building along the way, doesnt mean it cant be driven. A few people who know the track well enough have already made comments about elements which arent quite right with their GPS data, and it can only make it more accurate with feedback from people with the right knowledge.

The other areas are already being worked on separately, and they'll continue to get better and more realistic. I just take heart from work they've done in other areas to believe they'll go to the same extent to do these areas properly, and in good time, not rush it and take shortcuts because people want launch quality elements a year ahead of its release.
Can anyone test my FFB settings? It feels ok for me, but i'd like to know if it's comparable with LFS or nkpro now. Extract these into documents/CARS subfolder must be FFB (as it is). My ingame settings are 75 for force feedback and 100 tire force. The F1/input/force settings menu values are attatched, all 0 downwards as well.
Attached images
pCARS 2012-07-11 13-07-11-48.jpg
Attached files
FFB.rar - 11.2 KB - 148 views
Quote from PaulC2K :It gets said over and over on the pCARS forum, and i dont quite get how people get confused by it.

The people who build tracks and vehicles will NEVER be involved in coding FFB, Physics, MP, or similar areas. Its not their area of expertise.

They release early revisions of tracks because thats what they have and sometimes they need input. The Nordschleife isnt exactly a piece of cake, and just because theres no trees, hills, and the odd building along the way, doesnt mean it cant be driven. A few people who know the track well enough have already made comments about elements which arent quite right with their GPS data, and it can only make it more accurate with feedback from people with the right knowledge.

The other areas are already being worked on separately, and they'll continue to get better and more realistic. I just take heart from work they've done in other areas to believe they'll go to the same extent to do these areas properly, and in good time, not rush it and take shortcuts because people want launch quality elements a year ahead of its release.

Very well put post!
But they release content to attract new customers,but the new content is almost undriveable,and doesnt make me wanna keep racing it,they really need to knuckle down and focus on the important stuff,then release some content thats half decent,i love laguna seca but theres been next to no work done since release,fortunately Bathurst is the jewel in that sim,my fav track of all and its the best version of it yet.
Tango

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG