The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
Money back at any time?

Because the inflation is bigger then the interest you get when you put your money on a bank account this is actually a better investment then I would have thought.

At the moment I'm not in a hurry to ask for a refund but that can change... Any time...
Dave: It hasn't quite worked out. I spent $36 CAD and are only getting back $33 (due to losses in exchange rate).

They are having issues though refunding to me as I'm not a EUR currency person. So it's taken a little bit.
As I am not getting why some people here seem to be so much in a hurry to get their refund from the game they once decided to support...

Please tell me, is it because you didn't like the game in the first place or why did you decide to do so?
Aye, why not leave your money in and hope to make a bit more back later ?
Quote from Bean0 :Aye, why not leave your money in and hope to make a bit more back later ?

Exactly!
Hurryyy, refundddd!!111
It just didn't draw me in. I tried to drive it a few times but it ran so so poorly on my machine (which isn't a weak machine).

I'll wait for the actual final product.
Then it does make even less sense
Quote from rediske :As I am not getting why some people here seem to be so much in a hurry to get their refund from the game they once decided to support...

Please tell me, is it because you didn't like the game in the first place or why did you decide to do so?

The only reason I "supported" it was because there was no demo and I believed some of the people on this very forum who said it actually has a decent tire model and physics even in its current state. I simply don't have any confidence in the pcars devs ever getting the physics anywhere even close to a drivable state, given their previous track record with NFS Shift etc. If they somehow do manage to make it a worthy contender in the sim genre, then I'll pick the game up at full price, as doubtful as it is.
To me it looked like it had potential, only to be proven very wrong. I was never able to enjoy driving it, and also my machine isn't powerful enough to run it smoothly enough that I need it to be.

Also, quitting simracing after my wheel broke and can't afford a new one. Seems only logical to me to take some money back if I can!
Quote from Matrixi : I simply don't have any confidence in the pcars devs ever getting the physics anywhere even close to a drivable state, given their previous track record with NFS Shift etc.

Were GTL, GTR2, GTR etc not good enough sims? Made by the same people
Not in my opinion, no, they aren't good either.

And I'm pretty sure those are Simbin games, not by Slightly Mad.
Well the lineage is kinda weird. Blimey! made GTR, GTR2 and GTL, and were acquired by Slightly Mad Studios. So indirectly (depending on staff), they are directly related.
I see. Well, they were shit to drive in any case.
I had fun in GTL, but more because the content was interesting, not because of the physics.
Wish I'd found this thread a long time ago, I only got on board at WMD in April 2012 so I missed the first 6 months. PCars shows a lot of promise, the following is an extract from this article;

http://www.teamvvv.com/en/news ... ped-rival-to-Forza-and-GT

Both NFS Shift games were criticised by the simulation racing community for poor car handling and controls. What have you changed in the approach to CARS to improve in these areas?

So with the Shift titles we were obviously moving iteratively towards a more 'sim' style title. Shift 1 was the introduction of circuit racing to the previously illegal action/arcade titles from previous years. Shift 2 then introduced the 'Superman versions' of road cars with GT3, GT1 and other forms of real motorsport with Drift, Drag, Time Attack, and Endurance. Each step of the way we were also adding more depth to the physics, handling, controls, options, and general realism whilst still maintaining that core experience of 'what it really feels like out on the track'.

Compared to existing sim racing titles at the time though we still had a number of steps to go in terms of audience expectation on what they believed were key differentiators between the Shift titles and what they were used to and we appreciated those and have taken them on board wholeheartedly for Project CARS.

The steering wheel input lag issues [with Shift] for example were major, so we spent a good deal of time at the start of Project CARS making sure the new system was perfect and that it wouldn't be tainting the feel of any other developments we were planning for the physics system. The force feedback system was redesigned from the ground up too. It now allows us the freedom to adjust the input of all tire, suspension and G-forces to control the effect that the player feels at the steering wheel and is all exposed per-car to the player so it can be tuned to their equipment and personal liking. This has been a huge step up from the broader approach used on the Shift games where a limited and fixed set of inputs were used and the only control dial the player had was for overall strength.

We're also overhauling the tire model which is fully dynamic. The Seta Tire Model really is a generation beyond the steady-state models used in the past and it has forced us to step up our game in other areas as well, ensuring that every aspect of each car - aerodynamics, suspension and so on works up to the potential of the tire model. The perfect tire model is no good if those other parts aren't all working in concert. As a generalization, the design of the Shift games required a huge amount of time balancing a large field of varied cars with multiple upgrade paths. For Project CARS, we are spending that time researching the details of each and every car to get the driving characteristics as correct as possible.

With a year to go before release and seeing the progress so far, I'm in! This game could be the first ever multi platform sim if they achieve on their ambitious plans.
Yeah, pretty damn amazing.

Is that your video or...? Do you know what displays are there (especially the one that's not working).
that ruf seems like its fwd..

what driving aids was he using?
All 3 displays working, (maybe you mean dashboard not working, but that's what you get when cars are released as WIP, incomplete and a a year before game release), but it's not me, I don't have a rig that good and I'm not called born2bslow for nothing...

I'm pretty sure RWD cars under steer too, no idea about setup, but you can pretty much set the cars up how you like if you know what you're doing, it is a SIM after all
Quote from Born2BSlow :it is a SIM after all

You better get your flamecoat, lol.

Yeah, I meant the dashboard. I'll guess I'll contact the guy from the video.
Just call me Mr Asbestos...

Look it's not the perfect sim now, but there is feel to the driving experience, better than I've felt in any other game, other than live for speed. But they aren't trying to reproduce other sims, they want as real as possible, which is why some of the most important feedback is from actual racing drivers...the focus at the moment...tyres, it's the utopia that everyone is seeking. those 4 small contact patches that dictate all of the car behaviour and how fast you are going to be. It's far too complicated for me to understand but most of the changes they are making are producing the effects they expect, and this is being validating with blind testing of the changes by racing drivers.

What I am saying is there is a huge amount of potential, and it's being constantly tested by over 1,000 active hardcore sim racers. On top of this the people who help make the game will get a share of the returns rather than some corporate clown. Without getting evangelical about this, the only risk here is that they can't please all the people all the time. What they are doing is not tearing the sim community apart, it's giving it a voice and the chance to make the game everybody wants. The intent is a full on sim that can be dialled down by casual players. I don't understand this ever got to the point where people "hate" it so much. This is possibly the best thing that's ever happened, or has the potential to be. As they say, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

I could chat about this all day, as I'm either flame retardant or just ... well you know what I mean
People hate it because it's physics are awful, it needs very powerful PC to run smoothly (and not everyone can afford that) and it just feel so wrong to some people they just wanna get their money back, and that's very well including me in all 3 points.

When it comes to your greeeeeet potential in this so called simulator, it's not the only simulator with 'potential' (it doesn't to me) there, infact even old sims like LFS are million times better and are still about to me improved (well, S3 is a joke but you get me). AC is a perfect example of a real simulator that has potential, as it's very early tech demo has already proved that it will be a real deal. Unlike your game pcars.
Quote from Hahmo :People hate it because it's physics are awful, it needs very powerful PC to run smoothly (and not everyone can afford that) and it just feel so wrong to some people they just wanna get their money back, and that's very well including me in all 3 points.

When it comes to your greeeeeet potential in this so called simulator, it's not the only simulator with potential there, infact even old sims like LFS are million times better and are still about to me improved (well, S3 is a joke but you get me). AC is a perfect example of a real simulator that has potential, as it's very early tech demo has already proved that it will be a real deal. Unlike your game pcars.

You think the physics are awful, sorry but that doesn't make it a fact. Presumably you had a toolpack to drive the game, you had the opportunity to explain to the devs what you thought was wrong with it and help them improve it? Can I ask when was the last time you played it? and what feedback did you leave? Did you take the opportunity that was given to you?

The game is in development, not scheduled for release until next year, none of the code has been optimised to run more smoothly. That's part of the game development process, it will be refined at the end. It's a shame but there are more important things like getting the physics right to deal with

I didn't say pCars was the only simulator out there, next year there are a huge number of driving games of all types being released, from sim to arcade. Yes Assetto Corsa looks like it will be one of the better ones, but development is along the LFS lines, small team with their own vision of what they want to achieve i.e. no community input and the risk that development might be slow. What SMS is doing is asking you what you want from a racing sim, and the opportunity to help shape that.

You are entitled your opinions but all I'm asking is that people give this one a chance if you want to you could get involved and help shape the game. Sadly it is far easier to say "meh, don't like it money back please", and then post how crap it is all over the internet. This is the reason for the hate, sadly a lot of people who haven't played pCars believe what they read.

Stay open minded and judge for yourselves. There is going to be a demo I believe so maybe people who don't want to get involved can try out what those of us who are involved managed to achieve. I'll be far more interested in your opinion of the physics then.

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG