The online racing simulator
I had a little break from LFS over the last few years and there is always a few things that will always be consistent:

We all feel at times that we need to justify what we enjoy, with anything that shares opinions like a forum (or even in life in general) and there will always be differences. That is what makes life so interesting.

I get the same enjoyment out of 'drifting' and 'grip driving', even if one was necessarily faster doesn't mean that the other is any less important if thats what you enjoy doing. It will be an indefinitely continuing discussion on any racing forum that has a physics engine close enough to replicate "drifting" and "grip driving".

But since it is a discussion topic i'll let some fuel on the fire haha. One of the best drivers in the world Drift King, Keiichi Tsuchiya uses drifting and still manages to hold out ahead in the togue races which seems beneficial in areas where the track is quite small and narrow. Yet on races that have wider corners he manages to keep the grip levels as high as possible. Most of the drifting would have been for show, which goes to show that if your good enough at driving you could go around the track with your car upside down scraping along on its roof while you stand on it singing "The Hills Are Alive With the Sound Of Music" and still win the race. :P
Quote from polepositiondriver :Keiichi Tsuchiya uses drifting and still manages to hold out ahead in the togue races which seems beneficial in areas where the track is quite small and narrow.

We must have been watching a different BM show. I've seen pretty much every episode of BMI/Hot version (but not all domestic BMs) and almost never seen him drift in touge races.
Why does this thread never die?
Because it's a zombie.

Could someone give me a good explanation what is a "grip driver" and what is this "grip racing" that he does?
Quote from March Hare :Because it's a zombie.

Could someone give me a good explanation what is a "grip driver" and what is this "grip racing" that he does?

A "grip driver" is one who grips the wheel so hard his knuckles turned white permanently. Consequently, he goes through wheels in no time at all, while cursing the build quality of the apparently incapable manufacturers.

"Grip racing" on the other hand has nothing to do with motorsport. People lie down on the ground and can only use their hands and arms to propel them forward, the rest of their body has to be completely still. Even this sport has had its weirdos (three years ago, the Australian competitors raced lying on their back) and its share of scandals (one American competitor was found out to have cheated for years with performance-enhancing clothes)...
I want to say it derived form NFS Pro Street. #gofigure
#157 - col
Quote from bbman :A "grip driver" is one who grips the wheel so hard his knuckles turned white permanently. Consequently, he goes through wheels in no time at all, while cursing the build quality of the apparently incapable manufacturers.

"Grip racing" on the other hand has nothing to do with motorsport. People lie down on the ground and can only use their hands and arms to propel them forward, the rest of their body has to be completely still. Even this sport has had its weirdos (three years ago, the Australian competitors raced lying on their back) and its share of scandals (one American competitor was found out to have cheated for years with performance-enhancing clothes)...

ah thanks, I had also wondered about what a 'grip driver' was.
Finally got an explanation! Thank you bbman!

why do you guys hate drifting so much?
(158 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG