The online racing simulator
IAA Hannover
Hi guys.

Today i got my hands on a brand new PS3 with GT5 included, and i was really happy that finally, after years, i could play one of the best looking car "sim" around! Or so i though....

I plugged everything, updated everything, ran the game, and had one of the biggest disapointments so far in gaming territory

Is it normal that interiors suck so much that i cant even see the numbers on the speedometer? Everything, regarding the cars, is just a blur, interiors, exteriors....the shadows are really crapy, all jagged.....it looks like a game running in a crappy resolution!! And its not only the standart cars, the premiums also...

The thing is, i have PS3 setting up to HDMI ( 1080p ), the game is also setup to 1920x1080, and even so, it looks like crap!! Is this just me, or is this the real deal??

I would apreciate any info on this, because i dont believe that this game can be this crapy, after all i have seen about it in videos and screenshots!

Im playing PS3 through my PC monitor, wich is this one ( ASUS VH238T http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VH238T/ ) with a DVI to HDMI cable ( a good one with gold lining ). In PS3 menus, everything looks very good, very crisp. Also in GT5 menus, all looks very good, its only when i got to my garage to check cars, or play with them ingame that i get a very nasty blury, jagged imaged.

Can anyone share some knowledge with me? Am i doing anything wrong?

Aprecciate any help guys
Quote from JBiturbo :Hi guys.

Today i got my hands on a brand new PS3 with GT5 included, and i was really happy that finally, after years, i could play one of the best looking car "sim" around! Or so i though....

I plugged everything, updated everything, ran the game, and had one of the biggest disapointments so far in gaming territory

Is it normal that interiors suck so much that i cant even see the numbers on the speedometer? Everything, regarding the cars, is just a blur, interiors, exteriors....the shadows are really crapy, all jagged.....it looks like a game running in a crappy resolution!! And its not only the standart cars, the premiums also...

The thing is, i have PS3 setting up to HDMI ( 1080p ), the game is also setup to 1920x1080, and even so, it looks like crap!! Is this just me, or is this the real deal??

I would apreciate any info on this, because i dont believe that this game can be this crapy, after all i have seen about it in videos and screenshots!

Im playing PS3 through my PC monitor, wich is this one ( ASUS VH238T http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VH238T/ ) with a DVI to HDMI cable ( a good one with gold lining ). In PS3 menus, everything looks very good, very crisp. Also in GT5 menus, all looks very good, its only when i got to my garage to check cars, or play with them ingame that i get a very nasty blury, jagged imaged.

Can anyone share some knowledge with me? Am i doing anything wrong?

Aprecciate any help guys

Only thing I can think of is a setting on your monitor called 'AV Mode' or similar, I have this setting on my Samsung and if I turn it on or off I can see a huge difference, on makes it really sharp and jaggy, off makes it really smooth and blurry - but you can alter the settings in the monitor settings.

Other than that, it's just how GT5 looks
Quote from JBiturbo :Hi guys.

Today i got my hands on a brand new PS3 with GT5 included, and i was really happy that finally, after years, i could play one of the best looking car "sim" around! ...

Exactly my situation some months ago, but my first impression was excellent

You must be dealing with the standard cars I guess... check the premium ones, they look very nice. Yeah is kinda of shitty to have this two kind of cars, but I've realised that the cars in the garage and menu look worse than they actually do in the track, the ingame shading does a good job with the low poly models I think...
I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 2312HM in full HD.
Yeah, about 200+ cars are Premium, which most have great interiors, other ones are 'standard', meaning that they didn't even had an interior at all, it was added later on.
Thx for the info guys, really aprecciate it

Im gonna try to fidle with the monitor settings. Also gonna try a diferent DVI/HDMI cable, just for peace of mind.

Btw, the interior is equaly bad in standard or premium cars , its the hole graphics while in-race. I noticed i have an resolution option in PS3 that i cant turn off, i have 720p, 1080i, 1080p all turned on, but strangely i have a 567p also turned on that i cant turn off ....is this relevant in any way??
Yes the interiors are equally bad....
Premium:

Standard:
Lol, yes, good point . But i ment its blurry in all of them ( i guess premium only, since they are the ones that have interiors :P ).
Quote from JBiturbo :Lol, yes, good point . But i ment its blurry in all of them ( i guess premium only, since they are the ones that have interiors :P ).

Your PS3 is running at 1080P right? The game doesn't actually run in 1080P anyway so the textures won't be sharp, i.e the gauges are pixelated.
Quote from JBiturbo :Thx for the info guys, really aprecciate it

Im gonna try to fidle with the monitor settings. Also gonna try a diferent DVI/HDMI cable, just for peace of mind.

Btw, the interior is equaly bad in standard or premium cars , its the hole graphics while in-race. I noticed i have an resolution option in PS3 that i cant turn off, i have 720p, 1080i, 1080p all turned on, but strangely i have a 567p also turned on that i cant turn off ....is this relevant in any way??

Just leave 720p and 567 (which can't be turned off).
Can someone explain me this? Typical event where is extremelly easy to finish 2nd and impossible to be 1st because of something weird...
Just happened at Tsukuba for example. The race starts, I am 12th. First checkpoint, it says I am 15 seconds behind the first car. Is fine, there are 5 laps to go so I can make it. I just continue driving normally, passing a couple of cars and arrive to the second checkpoint (which in a short track like Tsukuba is just few meters ahead...) And the gap between me and the first car is 25 seconds now?? WTF And of course, 5 laps for such a huge gap is not enough to win... what the hell is this? What am I supposed to do?
Quote from NitroNitrous :Can someone explain me this? Typical event where is extremelly easy to finish 2nd and impossible to be 1st because of something weird...
Just happened at Tsukuba for example. The race starts, I am 12th. First checkpoint, it says I am 15 seconds behind the first car. Is fine, there are 5 laps to go so I can make it. I just continue driving normally, passing a couple of cars and arrive to the second checkpoint (which in a short track like Tsukuba is just few meters ahead...) And the gap between me and the first car is 25 seconds now?? WTF And of course, 5 laps for such a huge gap is not enough to win... what the hell is this? What am I supposed to do?

This is common in all seasonal events, imo it's glitch in timing. The gap between you and first car remains "constant", meaning he's not teleporting anywhere, but the timing shows wrong numbers.
Difficulty is set this high, because people were complaining about seasonals being too easy, so they made them impossible to beat instead.
Quote from Kid222 :This is common in all seasonal events, imo it's glitch in timing. The gap between you and first car remains "constant", meaning he's not teleporting anywhere, but the timing shows wrong numbers.
Difficulty is set this high, because people were complaining about seasonals being too easy, so they made them impossible to beat instead.

I always assigned that a faster car had overtaken the leader to take first place in the race.

Never watched a replay to find out if that's the case, though.

Occasionally they put on a tougher seasonal event for which you need a more competitive car than you'd normally choose. Annoying how their idea of a race is based on the arcade style races from the early racing games. It's like trying to catch the yellow f355 or the black car in Ridge Racer.
Thing is, I am cutting like 3 seconds per lap, which would be enough to beat the first car if the gap was 15s like it initially is, but since all of a sudden the gap goes from 15 to 25, then I can't make it anymore...
I see, must be one of those annoying things that GT5 is full of...
It is possible to beat that 25s gap.
There is few times that happened and it is possible to beat it.
I think its because first checkpoint is when you before series of turns that another car already cleared and another checkpoint at which you get this huge time gap is after you lose more time at those turns when first car already put some distance.
Quote from lukelfs :

Other than that, it's just how GT5 looks

Really? Mine looks quite sharp. I sit fairly close to my 32 inch TV, and on the 1080p output signal downconverted to 720p (native TV res) via HDMI it looks very sharp. No noticable jaggies at all during gameplay (sure you'll notice some if you stop and squint at it).
Quote from NitroNitrous :all of a sudden the gap goes from 15 to 25, then I can't make it anymore...

Also another trick is, there are few predefined sets that you have to race in a challenge and they are chosen at random, but the number of sets is limited to 3-4 sets.
So you might try to restart this challenge a few times till you get a set with the slowest car, just look at the first car because its first car that set the pace and restart it till you get something slower.
You might race every set to figure out the slowest.
Quote from Chupacabras84 :Also another trick is, there are few predefined sets that you have to race in a challenge and they are chosen at random, but the number of sets is limited to 3-4 sets.
So you might try to restart this challenge a few times till you get a set with the slowest car, just look at the first car because its first car that set the pace and restart it till you get something slower.
You might race every set to figure out the slowest.

That's exactly what I thought...

Quote from Chupacabras84 :I think its because first checkpoint is when you before series of turns that another car already cleared and another checkpoint at which you get this huge time gap is after you lose more time at those turns when first car already put some distance.

I don't think that's the case in Tsukuba, since we're talking about maybe 300 metres gap and the time between one checkpoint and the next one is probably... 10 seconds? The only way the first car can increase the gap from 15 to 25s would be if I was stopped... which is obviuosly not the case, and come one, is a damn '89 MX5 with no mods...

Anyway, I will keep trying what you said first
Might be useful resource for you.

http://www.gtplanet.net/japane ... -new-gt5-seasonal-events/

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=260533

Just check the comments for tips and hints, what cars to use and what car set is the easiest, apparently no one can touch those mx5 so if mx5 is the first car, just restart.
I am not sure whether you have this event to which I linked because I ignored new firmware and since then didnt have access to psn so I dont really know what events are now active but you can search there any event that gives your problems.
Wasted game is wasted. 'Seasonal events' lol, this game could've and should've been much much better.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Wasted game is wasted. 'Seasonal events' lol, this game could've and should've been much much better.

I have to agree, i guess the only hope now is the GT6.
Quote from Kid222 :I have to agree, i guess the only hope now is the GT6.

If they listen to most on GT planet GT6 will turn into a pimped up NFS. GT6 should have 2 components, 1: as hard core as they can make it for those who want something as close to real as a console can handle. 2: arcade for the noobs who don't know any better and want to just play a game.
Or not fall for the hype for the third time and play proper sims on PC..
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :If they listen to most on GT planet GT6 will turn into a pimped up NFS. GT6 should have 2 components, 1: as hard core as they can make it for those who want something as close to real as a console can handle. 2: arcade for the noobs who don't know any better and want to just play a game.

iirc gt2 was like this.

career on 1 disk and arcade on other disk

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG